• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaw Dropping Moments in Gaming

I don't think any game today could replicate what this game did:

why-is-dk94-so-genius.png

And the actual surprise you feel when the game keeps going and you see this screen:

EfPHdPbWAAML_9I.jpg

And then the joy of masterful level design that you're about to experience.

1st time accessing upside down map on SOTN.
This is my second favorite moment, followed closely by just how much is hidden in Elden Ring.

Too many devs today are still scared of creating content that might not ever be seen.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Coming out of the starter dungeon in Oblivion for the first time and realizing how huge the game is.

——Flight Sim in VR and looking out the side and seeing the landing gear.

I was going to say both of those, well just Flight Sim in general it's probably even more amazing in VR.

So Instead, I will say:
When you first leave Vault 101 and wander out into the Capitol Wasteland
Driving around Mexico in Forza Horizon 5 and discovering that there is one racing game I don't hate

Additionally:
After the credits roll on Halo 4 Legendary and you see Master Chief's full face for the first time
Gears 5 and Hive Busters with 4K graphics so stunning- More than once in both games I would have to stop playing just to admire the lush scenery and great lighting in areas of dense foliage.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OK Myrtle.
"The myrtle tree coined its name back in Ancient Greece, derived from the word 'myrtos' meaning 'sprig'. Both the myrtle tree and its flowers are adored by many and thus became a symbol of all things love, good luck, and prosperity"
OK I take it

TheGecko

Banned
"The myrtle tree coined its name back in Ancient Greece, derived from the word 'myrtos' meaning 'sprig'. Both the myrtle tree and its flowers are adored by many and thus became a symbol of all things love, good luck, and prosperity"
OK I take it
Myrtle is UNSAFE. It contains a chemical that can cause asthma-like attacks and lung failure. Myrtle can also cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, low blood pressure, blood circulation disorders, and other problems.

Last edited:

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
I feel the same way about Mass Effect. Unforgettable experience from start to finish. The soundtrack of the first game is one of the best out there. Chills everytime I hear the galaxy map theme!

• I get chills up my spine frequently when playing games. Especially twist endings or emotional plot points. Lots of chills playing through Halo 3 after being a Halo fan since CE. Especially the ending of Halo 3... it was a beautiful and poignant way to end Master Chief's journey.
  • Journey was chills pretty much my entire playthrough.
  • Skyrim came along at the perfect time in my life when I just started university. The exploration focused gameplay was rewarding, especially with the beautiful vistas and perfect soundtrack. Many tracks send chills up my spine!
As far as JAW DROPPING moments go, again it's numerous... but many scenes in the Uncharted series are jaw dropping, especially the plane scene in Uncharted 3. Just the overall amount of detail in Red Dead Redemption 2. The 1st ending in FEZ. Way too many to name. One that came to mind recently is this scene in Death Stranding. Absolutely the best acting and motion capture I've ever seen in gaming, almost looks real in parts. Just the sheer emotional deliver in this scene makes my eyes watery. Stunning.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I feel the same way about Mass Effect. Unforgettable experience from start to finish. The soundtrack of the first game is one of the best out there. Chills everytime I hear the galaxy map theme!

• I get chills up my spine frequently when playing games. Especially twist endings or emotional plot points. Lots of chills playing through Halo 3 after being a Halo fan since CE. Especially the ending of Halo 3... it was a beautiful and poignant way to end Master Chief's journey.
  • Journey was chills pretty much my entire playthrough.
  • Skyrim came along at the perfect time in my life when I just started university. The exploration focused gameplay was rewarding, especially with the beautiful vistas and perfect soundtrack. Many tracks send chills up my spine!
As far as JAW DROPPING moments go, again it's numerous... but many scenes in the Uncharted series are jaw dropping, especially the plane scene in Uncharted 3. Just the overall amount of detail in Red Dead Redemption 2. The 1st ending in FEZ. Way too many to name. One that came to mind recently is this scene in Death Stranding. Absolutely the best acting and motion capture I've ever seen in gaming, almost looks real in parts. Just the sheer emotional deliver in this scene makes my eyes watery. Stunning.

OH GOD THIS.
Die Hardman speech was fantastic. I cried and I don't know why.

Some more from me:
INCREDIBLE scene. Just watch it whole.

I always liked this moment:

One of my favs... many scenes from this:

Of course many many other games

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
OH GOD THIS.
Die Hardman speech was fantastic. I cried and I don't know why.

Some more from me:
INCREDIBLE scene. Just watch it whole.

I always liked this moment:

One of my favs... many scenes from this:

Of course many many other games

YES!

I'll admit I did shed a few tears playing The Last Guardian. Truly unique experience that I will never forget.

I just remembered the endings of LIMBO and INSIDE also. Chills.

Jaw dropping in a weird way would be playing through the first Little Nightmares. That is without a doubt one of the most disturbing and messed up games I've played... the subject matter is incredibly disturbing... but it's all framed in a Teen rated game that is pseudo marketed as an "edgy" kids game. But really... it has the most disturbing subject matter I've experienced in a game.

So many great chilling and jaw dropping moments in games!

Paulxo87

MGS2 Tanker demo. Many of us purchased ZOE only(but it was a good game) for the demo. Visually and technically ground breaking. I don't think any other game has made such a splash in this regard before. The rain IMO still holds up to this day. Too bad the rest of the game turned out the way it did!

yamaci17

yeah altair&ezio moment was jaw dropping
tho i'd say my jaw also dropped when kassandra did the thing
using the staff and live through ages to hand the staff over to layla in 2020. its just surreal stuff. valhalla also added some cool stuff on top of this, seeing ISU people themselves designing an-Animus like device was shocking to me

half life, when soldiers start attacking us. like wtf?

halo when flood is first revealed. it catched me off guard (i had no idea about them)

portal 2 portal to moon scene. gorgeous.

walking dead 1... the family with weird appetites. yeah...

Last edited:

MacReady13

I remember as a kid going to a retailer here in Melbourne (Myer at Highpoint) in the early 90's. They had a SNES running with Mario World. It was gorgeous but one of the guys playing seemed like he'd played the game before, and he was using Yoshi. All I remember is this guy playing on Yoshi and these white wings floating. He touched them and Yoshi and Mario went into the clouds into another weird area where Yoshi was flying and the backround was moving real fast! I'd never seen anything like that before and so badly made me want a SNES and Super Mario World.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I loved the way Metroid Dread manages to start with Samus fighting to survive against enemies who are nearly invincible and can even kill her in one attack...and eventually ends with Samus herself becoming far more powerful than she's ever been shown to be before; an unstoppable force that no one in their right mind would dare come against...becoming the very source of dread itself. 🔥

7x4Np0X.png

Korso

World of Warcraft specifically when traveling to Northrend for the first time. Also, Shenmue's Passport Disc and the model viewer. Plenty more for sure, thats just what comes to mind.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

That musical buildup to the rainbow lights in the background and the fight's bullet patterns going from regular ass Toriel shit to stars and rainbows all over is fucking amazing. The entire fight's a fucking emotional rollercoaster too, one of the best final bosses in RPGs.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It was either Assassin’s Creed Origins or Odyssey, but while moving the camera around I noticed all of the arrows on my character’s back were individually modeled, and moved independently.

I couldn’t believe it.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
"Would you kindly. . ." "Ya'll looking at us like you know us." Coming out of Vault 101 and reaching Megaton. "Trish, I love you. Please forgive me." "It's not a lake. It's an ocean." "The Giants called me. . .Loki." The fate of Class 77.

. . .missing hundreds more.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Mass Effect 2, opening sequence. Bombastic music playing, shit is going down. You open the door inside the ship like you’ve done a zillion times before in the first game.

Music cuts out as all the remaining oxygen vacates into space. All you hear is the sound of your character’s breathing in their suit’s self-contained atmosphere. You can see the neighboring planet.

TexMex

Turning the corner and seeing the T-Rex in Tomb Raider.
Buying my house in Ultima Online.
Mario 64.
The whale in Sonic Adventure.
Time traveling to adult Link in OoT.
When Meryl dies.

Chronicle

Part of what makes gaming so special are usually the moments that you feel where you get a rush of chilled tingling througout your spine. Or better yet, the moments where your brain freezes for a few seconds and its trying to process what just happened.

These moments usually occur during a pivotal plot point/twists, beautiful visual scenery that comes out of nowhere, or a perfect mix of a gameplay segment and kick ass musical score.

There are thousands of video games out there in the world, but only very few can reach such heights.

Here are my favorite moments in video games where my brain ended up being transported to a different dimension. As weird and dumb as this may sound, but sometimes it can also feel so good that you feel like you are not on planet earth anymore.

Here is my list and these are NOT in any particular order or ranks.

In the very first Mass Effect game there was something mysterious about exploring the citadel for the first and become familiar with the Mass Effect universe for the first time. Also, when this specific track kicked in. I ended up standing still for almost over 5 minutes. These 5 minutes felt like an hour but I also felt a sense of freedom and escape from reality.

P.S. Please give Mass Effect the faithful return it deserves.

Moving on to the next thing...

There is a reason why From Software is considered to be a world class developer and the best in the industry when it comes to the art direction.

Seeing this for the first time and knowing damn well I am able to explore to what looks like a background but actually is not and is a full playable area. From Software does this... Every. Single. Time.

Where-To-Find-The-Doll-For-Boreal-Valley-In-Dark-Souls-3.jpg

elden-ring-where-to-go-in-leyndell-capital-featured_feature.jpg

As for pivotal story moments - it would have to be this for me on a personal level. Too bad Ubisoft doesn't make them like this anymore :/

I have more, but I don't want to create a giant post. Your turn fellow gaffers!

Pictures are not enough!!!! What are the games? Dark souls 3? What else? No idea.

Top Bottom