• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaw Dropping Moments in Gaming

FukuDaruma

Sure you can nitpick on static assets (made for a console with only ~1.8 Teraflops). However, this still the best looking racing game when moving.
And stupid Sony closed down the whole studio and never released a patch. Driveclub is almost 60fps on a hacked PS4 Pro with a patch by some guy:

moXGf7S.png

So yeah, if some guy got this, without any real access to the game code, sure it could have been fucking easy for the dev team to fix it to stable 60fps (and add TAA)... damn Sony!

One can only imagine the awesomeness that a Driveclub 2 for PS5 could have been...

Last edited:

Rockondevil

It's a classic but stepping into the world after the sewers in Oblivion is amazing.
Also a close contender with the same vibe is Fallout 3 leaving the Vault.

You're writing a post about games that were jaw dropping yet you dont even say what Hames they are. Then you ask to posy my own. It's hard to tell. I have no idea. Why would I know? Common problem on Gaf. Wtf. You have to be a millenial where everything is someone else's fault.
Don't let him get to you. In my experience, people who assume others have the same knowledge set as them (in this case, knowing which games were in the pictures) and can't imagine any other way do so as a result of having a narrow worldview

Last edited:
These moments were jaw-dropping for me as a kid.

- Lufia 1: Starting in what would be Lufia 2's finale was a crazy concept for me with probably the best dungeon theme ever written.

- Final Fantasy IV: Going into the underworld and to the moon was so freaking epic. I couldn't believe this adventure that I was on.

- Final Fantasy VII: Leaving Midgar for the first time.

- Doom 1: Self explanatory

78702D3A49B377FBD2500DF8F0816724DB9588E7

In SOMA, the sequence from the moment just before descending into the abyss all the way to this fucking masterpiece of an ending must have been the most incredible and intense experience I had with any media. 2 to 3 hours of total, dread inducing and absolute immersion that felt nearly akin to an out-of-body experience. All of this leading to a beautiful, devastating despair in the end. Utterly incredible.

I'm afraid I will never feel anything like it for the rest of my life. And I sure as hell won't feel anything like it with any other game.
Just bought it and now installing it. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going in completely blind. I have never heard of this game until you mentioned it. Can't wait.

Playing Donkey Kong Country a few months after it came out.
Watching the Soul Blade CG introduction.
Playing through FF VII.
Discovering Mario 64.
Watching the God of War reveal.

But the main one, without a doubt, will forever be the unveiling of MGS2 in 2000 (E3 showfloor demo), if memory serves. I could not believe my eyes, and had that footage on repeat for weeks.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Zelda OOT, playing through the first part of the game as a kid, everythings pretty and fairy tale looking, then pulling the Master sword and traveling forward in time. Stepping outside and finding that everything is dark and bleak. This was always a big moment to me.

These games have me jaw dropping moments:

Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy 9
Mass Effect Trilogy
Odin Sphere
Star Ocean 3
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4)
The Last of Us
The Witcher Trilogy
Trails In The Sky Trilogy
Persona 3
Persona 4
Xenogears
Xenosaga Trilogy
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Zelda Windwaker

All I can think of at the top of my head

Last edited:

Karamina

Neo Member
These moments were jaw-dropping for me as a kid.

- Lufia 1: Starting in what would be Lufia 2's finale was a crazy concept for me with probably the best dungeon theme ever written.

- Final Fantasy IV: Going into the underworld and to the moon was so freaking epic. I couldn't believe this adventure that I was on.

- Final Fantasy VII: Leaving Midgar for the first time.

- Doom 1: Self explanatory
Never heard of Lufia series, how do you consider these games in comparison of the others big JRPG franchises ?

Never heard of Lufia series, how do you consider these games in comparison of the others big JRPG franchises ?
They were definitely not considered top tier compared to the Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger on the SNES back in the day but I know Lufia 2 is considered a cult classic. Soundtrack is really good. It's your typical turn-based JRPG but the 2nd entry incorporated some puzzle elements that was pretty nice.

I highly suggest Lufia 1 and 2 on the SNES.

It's not a gaming moment per se, but I remember while owning a ZX Spectrum seeing an Amiga running the Newtek Demo Reel in my local computer shop and being blown away. I don't think I've had such a jump in tech since then. 8 colours with colour clash and beeps for sound, to the HAM mode of an Amiga with synth chip and sampled sounds

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
How could I forget...

Project Gotham Racing 3 (360)

Got it hooked up on a tiny TFT (?) Flatscreen monitor via VGA

Choose the track with that San Fransisco esque bridge

My first HD (sort of) experience; I could not believe my eyes.

Immediately called a friend (back then I had RL friends) over to show him and he was equally impressed.

Holy shit what a moment that was

Last edited:

cortadew

PS1 was a golden era

Final fantasy 7-9
Metal gear solid
Doom PS1
Crash bandicoot trilogy
Spyro trilogy
Silent hill
Syphon filter
Yes but unfortunately now as an adult I realize I missed most of the classics. I got to play spyro, crash, tekken 3, and metal gear solid but I used to get bored with turn based rpgs so I never tried amy final fantasy until recently and I got scared with games like RE or SH (I was a pussy kid lol) but nowadays I have played all of those that I missed my tastes have changed over time for the better.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think the only time my jaw literally dropped was when I connected my new Xbox 360 to my first plasma HDTV and saw my first game at home in vibrant HD.

xiseerht

The opening scene of Legend of Zelda A link to the Past . When Link comes out of his house for the first time and it is raining outside. My young mind back in the 90's had never seen anything like that before in games. Also seeing Mario 64 demo at a Blockbuster and seeing Mario running around in a 3D space .

sono

Leaving the prison ship in Unreal
Mass effect trilogy first play through so many moments
Darksiders ditto
The first time playing Quake 2 multiplayer
The first time playing unreal tournament
The ending of Journey left me stunned for several minutes
Killzone 2 felt a unique experience it was so brutal compared to anything I had played before

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Leaving the prison ship in Unreal
Mass effect trilogy first play through so many moments
Darksiders ditto
The first time playing Quake 2 multiplayer
The first time playing unreal tournament
The ending of Journey left me stunned for several minutes
Killzone 2 felt a unique experience it was so brutal compared to anything I had played before
Man. Unreal is my life. I will never forget it !
ZuWc9do.png
SWEMi6Q.png

Bvkwtfi.png

Fatmanp

Kotor - The twist at the end cemented it as my Goat in 2003 and nothing has topped it since.

Gears of War - The helicopter crash

MGS1 - Meryl's codec code

MGS3 - The end Boss battle and Big Boss

MGS4 - Return to Shadow Moses

COD4 - All Ghillied Up tank section

Pokémon Gold and Silver - The postgame

Red Dead Redemption - Entering Mexico

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Saying goodbye to your Horse

Uncharted 4 - The whole car chase and train scene

78702D3A49B377FBD2500DF8F0816724DB9588E7

In SOMA, the sequence from the moment just before descending into the abyss all the way to this fucking masterpiece of an ending must have been the most incredible and intense experience I had with any media. 2 to 3 hours of total, dread inducing and absolute immersion that felt nearly akin to an out-of-body experience. All of this leading to a beautiful, devastating despair in the end. Utterly incredible.

I'm afraid I will never feel anything like it for the rest of my life. And I sure as hell won't feel anything like it with any other game.
SOMA was such a near life-changing experience. I marathoned the game because of how absorbing it was. Kind of left a hole in my soul for the following couple days.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

This, and

Playing the intro of the last of us I really wasn't prepared for that scene. That was an emotional roller-coaster. Made me cry like a little bitch.

Dom finding his wife also hit me, and his death scene as well is also sad and brutal.

The cortana scene is just so well made. Seeing her backing into her death while seeing everything being shattered, is a deeply way to show that MCs world gets torn a part there. A really strong emotional scene.

Oh, honorable mention/
CoD infinite warfare

I blasted through the different Cods at the time and this scene grabbed me totally off guard.

I felt some tears through that scene as well.

b0uncyfr0

Mass effect 2 intro - that view of the moon/planet that you crash on. That was unexpected - looked really good.

Probably still the most insane reaction to a game reveal in history, back when megatons existed before the dark days of social media career leakers. I heard from my uncle who worked at Nintendo (he cleaned Donkey Kong's cage) that almost every person in the room was later admitted to local hospitals with dislocated jaws.

Javthusiast

Banned
2Bs ass, duh.

On a more serious note. That moment during the credits of Automata when you do the thing and the music fully kicks in. Manly tears were shed.

Tetris Effect VR.

The entirety of Red Dead Redemption II.

Discovering crazy details in Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 & 3, even more mind-blowing considering their age.

Loading Grand Theft Auto IV. No other loading screen has come close since for me.

The Last of Us Part II's graphics and gameplay.

Playing Grand Theft Auto V on a PS3. Till now I still wonder how R* managed to engineer the game for that gen of consoles.

Recently played Shenmue and I am astounded at its level of detail despite it's age.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozzie666

Tetris Effect VR.

The entirety of Red Dead Redemption II.

Discovering crazy details in Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 & 3, even more mind-blowing considering their age.

Loading Grand Theft Auto IV. No other loading screen has come close since for me.

The Last of Us Part II's graphics and gameplay.

Playing Grand Theft Auto V on a PS3. Till now I still wonder how R* managed to engineer the game for that gen of consoles.

Recently played Shenmue and I am astounded at its level of detail despite it's age.

Tetris Connected or VR, the music is simply amazing and surreal. So relaxing and suddenly 3 hours goes by. So good.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm still a big fan of the plane crash in Bioshock, and the Bar abduction scene in Prey.

Both were amazing ways to set up the game.

The Darkness was good too, don't want to spoil the beginning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom