• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jedi Survivor: 147 GB on PS5, 139GB on Series X and 44GB on Series S

Soosa

Banned
New marketing slogan:

Series S - Data Cap Friendly!
Always weird when people still talk about data caps, it is 2023 after all.

I can hardly remember if there ever were any data caps here, maybe ~20 years ago:messenger_hushed: Even mobile connections havent had data caps in decade or more, but on some of the cheapest sub 10€ ones, on normal 10-50€/month 50-1000mbps mobile plans there are no caps of course.

I just upgraded my home fiber to 1000/500 at 28€/month, 31 Gb game downloaded while I brushed my teeth, but for people with ancient speeds and caps this can be an issue of course, but it is not fault of devs if there are these artificial caps on some countries.

Haven't finished the first game, so no hurry to get this, but it looks pretty cool.

RPS37

When is the embargo up?
I just realized this is going to take two days to download on my 25Mb/s connection.

Last edited:

Three

Would different graphics cards on pc constitute a different experience? And I don’t mean a graphics card that makes the game unplayable.
Yes, if I'm playing at 30fps with no raytracing vs 60/120fps with full path tracing I would consider that a different experience.

What's odd is that you're effectively arguing that maybe waiting a few seconds less is a different "next gen experience" if it isn't how the game looks or plays.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Season 2 Dark Comedy GIF by #Impastor

Corndog

Banned
Yes, if I'm playing at 30fps with no raytracing vs 60/120fps with full path tracing I would consider that a different experience.

What's odd is that you're effectively arguing that maybe waiting a few seconds less is a different "next gen experience" if it isn't how the game looks or plays.
No, I’m arguing it’s the same game even with slightly different graphics. You ignored my last sentence. Your example has no bearing.
And even in your extreme example it’s the same game. No one was tricked by this PR.

Three

No, I’m arguing it’s the same game even with slightly different graphics. You ignored my last sentence. Your example has no bearing.
And even in your extreme example it’s the same game. No one was tricked by this PR.
I didn’t ignore anything and I answered your question. Why did they make the PR video private?

Last edited:

acm2000

People were NOT saying this 3 years ago though.
from day 1 people have been calling it the game pass box, the only people shouting off against it are the hardcore you find on a gaming forums who feel threatened by non elite consoles, brand warriors, anti cloud gaming weirdos etc etc

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
from day 1 people have been calling it the game pass box, the only people shouting off against it are the hardcore you find on a gaming forums who feel threatened by non elite consoles, brand warriors, anti cloud gaming weirdos etc etc

The Xbox Series S has sold more units than the Series X. So how is it just a Game Pass box?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah. There are those who want the baseline spec for consoles to be higher, not anemically low. Especially going into 2024.

coffinbirth

ah, that sort of answers my question I had. Disc releases with mandatory download.
So practically full Steam ahead, i.e. like PC years ago.
Or were games also on multiple discs too?

some PS3 games already used 50GB, with ~720p games. So having mostly the same with PS4/Pro (and XBS) and only thrice of that is actually quite reasonable. VP9 instead of h264 for video compression is doing wonders, Kraken or however you call it might be great but there are limits for everything. PS3 games were compressed too after all.
People have to remember two things here;
a.) PS5/Series X use UHD, which is 100GB for games
b.) These numbers are for INSTALL sizes, it could easily be compressed to <100GB on disc and decompressed during installation.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People have to remember two things here;
a.) PS5/Series X use UHD, which is 100GB for games
b.) These numbers are for INSTALL sizes, it could easily be compressed to <100GB on disc and decompressed during installation.
Probably also includes a downloaded patch (not on disc, but the file size installed).

Sophist

Rage (2011) raw textures were around one terabyte before being heavyliy compressed with JPEG for DVD release.

Last edited:
The more huge games come out, the more I believe so fast SSDs were an error. We should have gotten a small average fast SSD for the currently played games accompanied by a big HDD to move games back and forth to and just more RAM for the desired speed.
If you are a MP player that keeps several games around your SSD is almost full with just those. That's barely better than the 120 to 250GB options in the PS360 era.
You can buy a 4tb HDD for 50 dollars.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just remembered there’s some trick where you can preload without buying on Xbox!

Yes, use the Xbox phone app. It lets you start downloads on your console for any thing on their servers, even if you don't own it.

You just won't be able to start it without the license. But it's great for universally pre-loading things.

Luipadre

Someone on reddit said the game is a technical mess on PS5. Bugs, glitches and performance issues. Could be just a random person saying random things, but the first game was a mess too and they are hiding the console versions, so just a heads up. You might want to hold on with your purchase, im sure i will.

Last edited:
Someone on reddit said the game is a technical mess on PS5. Bugs, glitches and performance issues. Could be just a random person saying random things, but the first game was a mess too and they are hiding the console versions, so just a heads up. You might want to hold on with your purchase, im sure i will.

Give us a link to that post.

Banned

oh no... not again 😑

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What happened to games running of cd only
As in running off the BluRay?
BluRay read speeds are far too slow for todays games.
Its something like 215Mb/s.....tis why for some people with good internet its literally faster to just download games than to install from disk.
It would also completely moot the advantages of having a fast SSD, cuz the disk drive would be running at best like a slow SATA SSD.
Another Respawn game that completely ignores Kraken compression for PS5. PS5 version should have been less than 100 GB.
Well Epic now owns RAD Tools, who make Oodle Kraken, all developers now have access to those compression algorithms.

P.S Krakens main advantage is its decompression speed, not necessarily actual compression ratio.

Darsxx82

Remembering that the optimization of SW Fallen Order on all platforms left a lot to be desired... it makes me doubt that Jedi Sourvivors is going to be an example of optimization on any platform.

Hopefully the opposite happens and we get a pleasant surprise 🤞

LordCBH

Always weird when people still talk about data caps, it is 2023 after all.

I can hardly remember if there ever were any data caps here, maybe ~20 years ago:messenger_hushed: Even mobile connections havent had data caps in decade or more, but on some of the cheapest sub 10€ ones, on normal 10-50€/month 50-1000mbps mobile plans there are no caps of course.

I just upgraded my home fiber to 1000/500 at 28€/month, 31 Gb game downloaded while I brushed my teeth, but for people with ancient speeds and caps this can be an issue of course, but it is not fault of devs if there are these artificial caps on some countries.

Haven't finished the first game, so no hurry to get this, but it looks pretty cool.

To be fair, in the one market Microsoft has had success (US), data caps, even aggressive ones, are common among ISPs. What’s even worse is I can ONLY have one provider in my apartment (Comcast) and they charge an extra like $30 a month or something for no data cap. Because it’s pure profit for them. Realistically, none of these monopolies should have data caps, but they do.

Top Bottom