• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jefferies Equity Analyst: Mario Kart 8D a "mega-hit on a different scale altogether"

No one is getting pissy about these games selling well.
People are having issues with delusional fanboys acting like Switch is the second coming two months into its launch.
I'm sure people are happy it's selling well. It's fantastic for the industry.

way to prove their point lol.

kswiston

Holly crap. Never knew that a thing to begin with. I remember the PSOne with LCD screen, but I never knew there was a Xbox equivalent.

I think that there were third party "portable" LCD screens for all of the systems that gen. It was around the same time that portable DVD players were taking off, so terrible quality LCD screens were everywhere.

People are having issues with delusional fanboys acting like Switch is the second coming two months into its launch.

Well a lot of drive by posts shitting on the Switch in many of the threads gaming side would say other wise.

maxcriden

I don't see 3DW happening at all, to be honest. I think a Galaxy 1 + 2 HD collection would be more likely at some point in the Switch's life.

(Please.)

You don't think a 3DL/3DW double pack is just as likely? It would take a lot less work. I'd be psyched to see the Galaxy games in HD. I think both are entirely possible. I do think Nintendo considers the 3D series significantly more accessible but that does seem to be a potentially lessened concern for Nintendo in general as of the release of BOTW.

I mean if anything by the end of this year we should see something if he was truly alluding to one.

I agree completely. At the least, by early next year. Perhaps by the end of next month.

atr0cious

Love these threads. Always a reminder to check the ticker and now I'm officially at double my investment. Time to grab some more before E3.

Well a lot of drive by posts shitting on the Switch in many of the threads gaming side would say other wise.
I've noticed a few idiotic posts about it, yes, but some interpret criticism as 'shitting'.
Most posts I've seen people complain about are criticisms though. People just get bent out of shape and post passive-aggressive responses to legitimate questions. Some of the people on here can't handle any kind of discussion without throwing their toys on the ground and stomping away if another members views don't perfectly align with their own.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Amazing thread....so much salt.

Good result for MK8, glad to see quality games continue to perform a I've expectations on Switch.

Bgamer90

Banned
Makes you wonder why Sony and Microsoft have slept on the kart racing genre so much this generation.

A large part of Mario Kart selling so well is due to name/history alone. A new IP kart racer would more than likely not do well.

I would love to see one outside of Mario Kart though. A sequel to Sonic Racing Transformed would be cool.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
A large part of Mario Kart selling so well is due to name/history alone. A new IP kart racer would more than likely not do well.

I would love to see one outside of Mario Kart though. A sequel to Sonic Racing Transformed would be cool.
If it had the same quality of MK8D it would sell obviously not MK8D well.... But good enough.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sales outpacing those of the OG MK8 are what's surprising to me, even when you put it into the context of how much of a bust the Wii U was. I wonder what the crossover is between Wii U and Switch owners, and if that somehow explains it. Great game though, so can't hate on that.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I had a feeling that was the case. As I said it's been a long and very trying week, I'm sorry ):

Okay, let's start over here. Ignore everything else I've said in this thread and let's begin anew. To preface, I love Nintendo. I've owned almost all of their hardware since 1985 and they'll always have a place in my heart as they've been one of the few things that I enjoyed as a child that I also enjoy as an adult, so know that everything that follows is positive and i no way a sleight on Nintendo or their current success.

It's completely unsurprising that Mario Kart 8 is currently selling like candy-coated crack because it's in a perfect storm of market conditions.

To begin, Mario Kart is a huge franchise. Arguably Nintendo's biggest IP only behind Pokemon. Most kids that were born or grew up in the late 80s and 90s have played at least one Mario Kart title; if nothing else Super Mario Kart on the SNES and/or Mario Kart 64 on the Nintendo 64.

Secondly, the Nintendo Switch is currently the hot shit; the talk of the town. Like the Wii was at its release, everybody is currently talking about the Switch. Part of this is Nintendo's stellar marketing, part of it is the novelty of the Switch gimmick itself, part of it is how amazing Zelda is. For some people it's one of these reasons or more, for some people it's a combination of these reasons.

Thirdly, the Switch currently doesn't have a whole lot of games available for it at retail. A customer looking for a new game to buy at Wal-Mart or Best Buy will be met with 9 games, assuming Best Buy's website is up to date:

• Mario Kart
  • Zelda: BotW
  • Bomberman
  • 1-2-Switch
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris
  • Just Dance
  • Binding of Isaac
  • Lego City
  • Skylanders

Mario Kart is easily the headline of this lineup outside of Zelda. Lego City, Bomberman, Isaac, and Puyo are all great games to be sure, but none of them have the name recognition of Mario or Zelda. Because of this, Mario Kart is easily the next "must-have" game of the Switch lineup for customers that are wrapping up Zelda.

My use of the word "starving" earlier was incorrect, but I can't really think of a proper word to replace it with. Switch owners have their shiny new toy and are looking for games to buy. They're riding high on the Switch wave will their wallets out and ready to buy.

So Mario Kart is in this perfect storm situation so no freaking duh it's selling well. It's a major nostalgia-driven franchise on a popular new console with customers that are hyper-aware of new releases to buy. No, nobody is buying Mario Kart just to buy Mario Kart or because there's nothing else to buy, but people ARE buying Mario Kart because they know Mario Kart - it has a history of high quality gameplay and it's easily the best objective Switch game outside of Zelda at the moment.

Minecraft is going to go through the same motions. Popular franchise. Popular console. Folks looking for games to play. It'll sell super well for sure.

...am I making more sense now?

Yep.

Plus, Sony already tried it before with Crash Team Racing.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Guess what, the Switch IS the second coming. Its honestly one of the most innovative concepts ever in gaming. Nintendo deserves all the success for coming up with such a genius concept.

gamerMan

It's perhaps the second meaningful release on a console that's starved for games - I don't think its success is all that surprising with that context.

Yah it's all about framing it in the right context. Grand Theft Auto 5 selling over 70 million copies is not that impressive when you consider Tetris sold around 500 million. But Tetris is not as impressive as Grand Theft Auto 5 because each version isn't considered as a separate game so within that context Grand Theft Auto 5 is more impressive. Thus, we have proven no game is successful within the correct context.

hatchx

Banned
I bought stock just before the January announcement. I've already made about $750 on my stock. I'm going to hold it until this fall when the Mario/Pokemon bombs are dropped. Switch is gonna have a great year.

Finn

One thing that confuses me is, if everyone thinks Nintendo is a non-entity and can't compete with Microsoft and Sony, why is there such a vocal base of people that bend over backwards to deny the slightest bit of Nintendo success? Like, if you're not threatened by Nintendo, you shouldn't care how they're doing because they're "doomed". Right?

Neoxon

I bought stock just before the January announcement. I've already made about $750 on my stock. I'm going to hold it until this fall when the Mario/Pokemon bombs are dropped. Switch is gonna have a great year.
I considered doing the same, but I needed the cash to get the Switch.

Why hasn't Minecraft on WiiU sold gangbusters if its the IP that determines the sales potential and not the console install base or other factors?

Or is that one of those 'exceptions' you get to make because it shoots holes in your point?

Personally, I won't buy minecraft on Wii U. There's no point, but I'd certainly like to play the switch version that I can take anywhere.

One thing that confuses me is, if everyone thinks Nintendo is a non-entity and can't compete with Microsoft and Sony, why is there such a vocal base of people that bend over backwards to deny the slightest bit of Nintendo success? Like, if you're not threatened by Nintendo, you shouldn't care how they're doing because they're "doomed". Right?

No lies there. Every damn switch thread, you've got someone letting us poor switch owners know why the good news isn't good. It's ridiculous.

One thing that confuses me is, if everyone thinks Nintendo is a non-entity and can't compete with Microsoft and Sony, why is there such a vocal base of people that bend over backwards to deny the slightest bit of Nintendo success? Like, if you're not threatened by Nintendo, you shouldn't care hiw they're doing because they're "doomed". Right?

They're afraid of Microsoft and Sony chasing after Nintendo like they did in 2009/2010.

Why hasn't Minecraft on WiiU sold gangbusters if its the IP that determines the sales potential and not the console install base or other factors?

Or is that one of those 'exceptions' you get to make because it shoots holes in your point?

Anecdotally, the only reason I never bought Minecraft on Wii U was that I already knew we'd be getting a new Nintendo console that would also have Minecraft.

I would have done the same thing with Minecraft on Xbox 360 and PS3 in 2011-2013 if I had either of those systems at the time.

slit

For some, it's because they love Nintendo games and want them on their console of choice. After WiiU they thought it was almost guaranteed to happen, now that dream is dead and they are going to be extra cranky.

ASIS

Okay, let's start over here. Ignore everything else I've said in this thread and let's begin anew. To preface, I love Nintendo. I've owned almost all of their hardware since 1985 and they'll always have a place in my heart as they've been one of the few things that I enjoyed as a child that I also enjoy as an adult, so know that everything that follows is positive and i no way a sleight on Nintendo or their current success.

It's completely unsurprising that Mario Kart 8 is currently selling like candy-coated crack because it's in a perfect storm of market conditions.

To begin, Mario Kart is a huge franchise. Arguably Nintendo's biggest IP only behind Pokemon. Most kids that were born or grew up in the late 80s and 90s have played at least one Mario Kart title; if nothing else Super Mario Kart on the SNES and/or Mario Kart 64 on the Nintendo 64.

Secondly, the Nintendo Switch is currently the hot shit; the talk of the town. Like the Wii was at its release, everybody is currently talking about the Switch. Part of this is Nintendo's stellar marketing, part of it is the novelty of the Switch gimmick itself, part of it is how amazing Zelda is. For some people it's one of these reasons or more, for some people it's a combination of these reasons.

Thirdly, the Switch currently doesn't have a whole lot of games available for it at retail. A customer looking for a new game to buy at Wal-Mart or Best Buy will be met with 9 games, assuming Best Buy's website is up to date:

• Mario Kart
  • Zelda: BotW
  • Bomberman
  • 1-2-Switch
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris
  • Just Dance
  • Binding of Isaac
  • Lego City
  • Skylanders

Mario Kart is easily the headline of this lineup outside of Zelda. Lego City, Bomberman, Isaac, and Puyo are all great games to be sure, but none of them have the name recognition of Mario or Zelda. Because of this, Mario Kart is easily the next "must-have" game of the Switch lineup for customers that are wrapping up Zelda.

My use of the word "starving" earlier was incorrect, but I can't really think of a proper word to replace it with. Switch owners have their shiny new toy and are looking for games to buy. They're riding high on the Switch wave will their wallets out and ready to buy.

So Mario Kart is in this perfect storm situation so no freaking duh it's selling well. It's a major nostalgia-driven franchise on a popular new console with customers that are hyper-aware of new releases to buy. No, nobody is buying Mario Kart just to buy Mario Kart or because there's nothing else to buy, but people ARE buying Mario Kart because they know Mario Kart - it has a history of high quality gameplay and it's easily the best objective Switch game outside of Zelda at the moment.

Minecraft is going to go through the same motions. Popular franchise. Popular console. Folks looking for games to play. It'll sell super well for sure.

...am I making more sense now?
What you just described is a marketing strategy. Mario Kart didn't come in a perfect storm. It came in a perfect storm that Nintendo designed. And that's what you are not getting.

Furthermore, yes of course Mario Kart will do well, no one is surprised by that. What is surprising is just how well it is selling. You say that the marketing strategy is good but that's only because you saw the results. In reality it was an extremely risky move (to trickle down one game every 5-6 weeks) but it's paying off in a way very few expected.

This deserves props, there's no "duh" in this scenario. It's impressive numbers, full stop.

LordKasual

Banned
This is honestly not that impressive, Nintendo shares will always be sold to their core investors of about three million. Since Nintendo was close to dying due to droughts there's no reason for the stock not to go up. Goyal is also a Nintendo fanboy, I saw him presenting his daughter with a DS last summer.

one of Nintendo's core strategies for its starved consoles has always been to make it appear as if it's the most successful and profound thing that anyone has ever seen. Nintendo's last E3 media coverage is a perfect example of this

combined with the nostalgia pandering and their PR push to always appear "innovative", it kind of becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy

they use this tactic to fill the obvious holes in their products...kind of like what apple does in a way.

but i feel like Nintendo needs to do this because the holes in their case (a gaming console with zero games) is pretty bad on paper otherwise. so they hype the success of the 2 or 3 games they DO have to hell and back to boost the word-of-mouth value of their console

kswiston

We're still going to get a MK9 on Switch right?

I definitely thought so last month. If MK8 sells like a new game though, maybe not. Second games in the same popular Nintendo series on the same console almost always have a big drop. I could see Nintendo avoiding that for MK9 if we end up seeing MK8 doing 15-20M.

ASIS

one of Nintendo's core strategies for its starved consoles has always been to make it appear as if it's the most successful and profound thing that anyone has ever seen. Nintendo's last E3 media coverage is a perfect example of this

combined with the nostalgia pandering and their PR push to always appear "innovative", it kind of becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy

they use this tactic to fill the obvious holes in their products...kind of like what apple does in a way.

but i feel like Nintendo needs to do this because the holes in their case (a gaming console with zero games) is pretty bad on paper otherwise. so they hype the success of the 2 or 3 games they DO have to hell and back to boost the word-of-mouth value of their console

So the alternative is to not hype their games?

jman2050

See what I meant?

Creative for sure.

Because fanboyism is surprisingly still a thing. I say surprisingly but it's gotten worse over the past ten years I've been active on online forums.

For some, it's because they love Nintendo games and want them on their console of choice. After WiiU, they thought it was almost guaranteed to happen, now that dream is dead and they are going to be extra cranky.
Dumb dream, anyhow. It's not like Sega is doing gangbusters ever since they went 3rd party.

I think so. I just think it will be a good 2-3 years before MK9 happens. Same as I don't think SSB4D will stop from SSB5 from happening.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Fanboyism often means that people take pleasure in the company they don't like failing.

ZeoVGM

Banned

I personally believe we will but if MK8 legitimately ends up doing MKWii numbers, they might not need to.

Though I fully and 100% believe that MK8 is the last game in the series and that it will become a full Nintendo kart racer with the next installment.

openrob

Is my sarcasm detector broken?

The post by Alienous isn't ridiculous.
The success of MK8D is very much down to timing as well as quality.

Breath of the Wild released as the only big game and very much drove console sales (>100% attach rate) doing really well but we're getting to a point that the people who bought it want something else.

MK8D came at the right time with no competition from third party. Of course it would sell well.

KahooTs

I'd like to think both analysts and gamers were unduly ignorant as to what MK8 Switch would do, but I can't really blame them when it's apparent Nintendo got it wrong.

Nintendo have launched MK8 Switch when Switch demand exceeded their ability to supply it. And I believe they're going to be in the situation of launching more games before they've been able to satisfy the immediate demand MK8 has created.

The Switch has a very robust line-up even without Mario Kart.

MK8D is a delicious cherry. Like a slice of cherry pie and a damn fine cup of coffee.

giphy.gif

ZeoVGM

Banned
MK8D came at the right time with no competition from third party. Of course it would sell well.

Oy.

I don't know why some people need to downplay the success.

I guess that was the excuse for Mario Kart Wii's sales too? No third party competition?

Top Bottom