• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jefferies Equity Analyst: Mario Kart 8D a "mega-hit on a different scale altogether"

”No, this is not just any ordinary success. The scale of this success is many times bigger than what is visible with ‘MK8D sales of 459K units exceeded MKWii sales of 405K'. Analyzing the scale, we realize that like-for-like, MK8D is mega-hit on a different scale altogether (maybe 5-10x better)."

I don't understand the 5x better part given the numbers stated.

Anyways, congrats on the sales, although I always think people shouldn't read too much into sales when it's super early in a console's life and the options are very much play these 2 or 3 games or have fun watching the system collect dust.
Lost Planet is a pretty good example of this.

The post by Alienous isn't ridiculous.
The success of MK8D is very much down to timing as well as quality.

Breath of the Wild released as the only big game and very much drove console sales (>100% attach rate) doing really well but we're getting to a point that the people who bought it want something else.

MK8D came at the right time with no competition from third party. Of course it would sell well.

So MKD8 sales will stop when more games are available? ;D

There is never an "of course" when it comes to game sales. Mario Kart 8D sells well because of many reasons:

It is a well beloved franchise, it has raving reviews, it is on the new hot gaming system, it is practically a "launch" game.

It sells well despite being a port and is sold to a relatively small userbase.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
MK8D came at the right time with no competition from third party. Of course it would sell well.

Is that all it takes or does the game actually have to be good too? In MK8Ds case, its bar none the best kart racer ever. Im no expert but that might be why its breaking records.

jholmes

I've noticed a few idiotic posts about it, yes, but some interpret criticism as 'shitting'.
Most posts I've seen people complain about are criticisms though. People just get bent out of shape and post passive-aggressive responses to legitimate questions. Some of the people on here can't handle any kind of discussion without throwing their toys on the ground and stomping away if another members views don't perfectly align with their own.

I think a big part is now when you say anything that isn't completely fawning in a Switch thread, you get called "a salt" and so forth.

As for the analyst... NTDOY stock was at its height with the Wii because investors thought they would somehow become the next Apple. That's not in Nintendo's plans so I don't think their stock will get there again, but if this dude wants to recommend it, sure.

...am I making more sense now?

Ok yes! That does make much more sense and I definitely see where you're coming from now. On top of my own complete negligence of the physical aspect of games available (in my current tired state my mind just defined games as games, but there is absolutely a difference, at least on the surface/visually, between what's available physically vs digitally) I also got confused a little since initially I was talking specifically about people going "Well duh [game] is selling well, there's nothing to play on [console]" when something does well, which I still think is a stupid statement because of the implication that people are buying it literally because there's nothing else to play so they're buying just to buy, but there is overlap in what you're saying and what I was responding to.

I don't... know if what I just typed makes a whole lot of sense or is clear, and to a degree I still disagree a little about what causes a game to sell in a situation like this (marketing strategy plays a part too as that other poster pointed out, it's not just all dumb luck/perfect storm), but thank you for taking the time to explain everything like that because I definitely see what you meant now and where my wires got crossed.

I think a big part is now when you say anything that isn't completely fawning in a Switch thread, you get called "a salt" and so forth.

As for the analyst... NTDOY stock was at its height with the Wii because investors thought they would somehow become the next Apple. That's not in Nintendo's plans so I don't think their stock will get there again, but if this dude wants to recommend it, sure.

Thank you for the level-headed reply.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
No one is getting pissy about these games selling well.
People are having issues with delusional fanboys acting like Switch is the second coming two months into its launch.
I'm sure people are happy it's selling well. It's fantastic for the industry.

Why in the hell would people getting excited about positive sales news re: the platform they just purchased cause any rational human to "have issues?" Seriously, does that not sound bizarre to you when you read your post?

Are these delusional fanboys going into threads about other consoles and saying "that's nice and all but look at these MK8D numbers you delusional morons"? I'm not sure that I've noticed that. To be frank, that's pretty much the gist of all these "this was all to be predicted, it is not impressive, there is no reason to be excited, Switch might sell as much as GameCube if they're lucky"-type posts that pop up in these threads.

Is the cynicism really so deep here that people feel like they're bringing something positive to the table when they pop in these threads with those same arguments? Are people just bored and doing it for the lulz when they say "Switch isn't actually portable" or "Switch is nothing but a port machine"? Or did these people just emerge from an 8 month hibernation and think "ah, I have an interesting point I'd like to add to the conversation?" I mean, it's so God damn repetitive and I'm wondering how people are able to muster all this negative energy.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Its like downplaying AAA releases selling well on PS4/XBO because companies spend hundred of millions in development and marketing etc. Obvious there are always reasons why Blockbuster games perform the way they do. No need to downplay every success just because you aren't fan of the company or the console.

Ryoku

Are some people ignoring historical data on the matter?

All of these "Of course it will sell; no other games" comments don't make sense. I mean, maybe? But do you have any evidence that this is the reason it is selling a lot?
Could be a combination of factors. Mario Kart 3DS/DS/Wii sold a shitton despite there being a lot of other popular games on their respective platforms at the time of release.
It could be that the game is just incredibly popular. But that's unlikely, right?

Why in the hell would people getting excited about positive sales news re: the platform they just purchased cause any rational human to "have issues?" Seriously, does that not sound bizarre to you when you read your post?

Are these delusional fanboys going into threads about other consoles and saying "that's nice and all but look at these MK8D numbers you delusional morons"? I'm not sure that I've noticed that. To be frank, that's pretty much the gist of all these "this was all to be predicted, it is not impressive, there is no reason to be excited, Switch might sell as much as GameCube if they're lucky"-type posts that pop up in these threads.

Is the cynicism really so deep here that people feel like they're bringing something positive to the table when they pop in these threads with those same arguments? Are people just bored and doing it for the lulz when they say "Switch isn't actually portable" or "Switch is nothing but a port machine"? Or did these people just emerge from an 8 month hibernation and think "ah, I have an interesting point I'd like to add to the conversation?" I mean, it's so God damn repetitive and I'm wondering how people are able to muster all this negative energy.
Perhaps my language was too harsh, but it's tiring to come into these threads and see nothing but users tossing insults back and forth instead of a discussion on the possibility of the Switch hitting these heights, or not.

Curufinwe

Its like downplaying AAA releases selling well on PS4/XBO because companies spend hundred of millions in development and marketing etc. Obvious there are always reasons why Blockbuster games perform the way they do. No need to downplay every success just because you aren't fan of the company or the console.

The downplaying really baffles me. I've never played a MK game and never will, but it's obvious MK8D is a huge success and my personal level of interest in the game is totally unrelated to that fact.

SirNinja

It's perhaps the second meaningful release on a console that's starved for games - I don't think its success is all that surprising with that context.

This is honestly not that impressive, Nintendo shares will always be sold to their core investors of about three million. Since Nintendo was close to dying due to droughts there's no reason for the stock not to go up

Oh damn, we're already almost in the yellow again.

w2MK2aX.png

Perhaps my language was too harsh, but it's tiring to come into these threads and see nothing but users tossing insults back and forth instead of a discussion on the possibility of the Switch hitting these heights, or not.
Probably because people come in here to denounce those probabilities in the first place with knee jerk drive by responses.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Sony and microsoft better start their new gen
Nintendo won

😎😎

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Great sales. Mario Kart is the surest consistent hit Nintendo has. Every console, the game is in the top 3 by gen end.

Comandr

It's perhaps the second meaningful release on a console that's starved for games - I don't think its success is all that surprising with that context.

Not trying to shit on the thread, but pretty much this.

There's several million switch owners that have one (1) "major" game to play. While I'm not saying MK8D's success isn't welcome or deserved, it's not surprising.

Oh damn, we're already almost in the yellow again.

w2MK2aX.png

My god, people can't even get a discussion going without a defense that rivals the Steelers.

This game deserves the sales because it's very fun and compliments the Switch's handheld mode perfectly. I would even go as far as saying it's one of the best handheld games ever...

But alas.. it's not a handheld.

Delio

No one is getting pissy about these games selling well.
People are having issues with delusional fanboys acting like Switch is the second coming two months into its launch.
I'm sure people are happy it's selling well. It's fantastic for the industry.

The hell? I'm a delusional fanboy cause im happy Nintendo is having success? It's not like it's the only console I own either. I dont get why people feel the need to come in concern troll the hell out of Switch threads.

Platy

The only argument that mario kart 8 will not explode in sales is that there is a huge chance that the switch gets a mario kart 9 at some point.

Mario kart games have THE biggest legs of every game ever released but they are always the sole entry on each console. But even that, I can STILL see both mario kart games selling like hotcakes and having huge legs because Mario kart is basically the sole representative of it's genre.

Not just that, but 458,000 sales in one week, by itself, isn't altogether impressive. We still have a lot more to see from the switch, and whether it can actually carry that momentum over the next year or so.

It will be interesting to see how this sells as Nintendo releases other new games on the system. Also, will the Switch get it's own proper Mario Kart sequel down the line?

Neiteio

Game is insanely gorgeous. It's quite a head-turner, especially in motion at 1080p 60fps. I think this game has the potential to go viral as people bring it to recess, offices, parties, etc, and pop off the joy-cons for built-in local multiplayer, sharing the fun. :)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Not just that, but 458,000 sales in one week, by itself, isn't altogether impressive. We still have a lot more to see from the switch, and whether it can actually momentum over the next year or so.

It will be interesting to see how this sells, as Nintendo releases other new games on the system. Also, will the Switch get it's own, proper Mario Kart sequel down the line?

That is a given unless this game is an absolute beast that sells 30+ million and the switch gets killed prematurely a la GBA

The hell? I'm a delusional fanboy cause im happy Nintendo is having success? It's not like it's the only console I own either. I dont get why people feel the need to come in concern troll the hell out of Switch threads.

There are the people who are happy, like you and I, and the people saying it is the most innovative and groundbreaking console ever made, and will sell 20 million in its first year.

emb

Am I reading that correctly that MK8 Deluxe sold more on launch day than MK Wii? That's crazy, congrats to Ninty! Seems like Switch is showing to be compelling hardware, and growing into a strong environment for Nintendo to move software.

I really thought the updated version of 8 would be kind of a slow starter, under the impression that a lot of the early Switch adopters would probably be early Wii U owners as well. Then again, I guess a lot of those people don't mind buying 8 twice since there are some key additions (I know I'm tempted!)

Geg

Dudes, Soph's post was obviously satire. 'Core investors' etc, it's amazing satire.
Can you really blame people? At this point it's become incredibly difficult to tell which posts are serious and which ones are making fun of them.

one of Nintendo's core strategies for its starved consoles has always been to make it appear as if it's the most successful and profound thing that anyone has ever seen. Nintendo's last E3 media coverage is a perfect example of this

combined with the nostalgia pandering and their PR push to always appear "innovative", it kind of becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy

they use this tactic to fill the obvious holes in their products...kind of like what apple does in a way.

but i feel like Nintendo needs to do this because the holes in their case (a gaming console with zero games) is pretty bad on paper otherwise. so they hype the success of the 2 or 3 games they DO have to hell and back to boost the word-of-mouth value of their console

I mean look at this post. Fucking look at it

Soph

Can you really blame people? At this point it's become incredibly difficult to tell which posts are serious and which ones are making fun of them.

When some posters became so absurd, clear satire is indistinguishable.

We have a problem

meppi

My god, people can't even get a discussion going without a defense that rivals the Steelers.

This game deserves the sales because it's very fun and compliments the Switch's handheld mode perfectly. I would even go as far as saying it's one of the best handheld games ever...

But alas.. it's not a handheld.

Sure feels like a handheld to me.

I mean look at this post. Fucking look at it
Haha, I'd rather not. holy shit!

The amount of mental gymnastics that certain people go through to downplay anything and everything Switch related is both hilarious and pathetic.

And what they don't seem to grasp is that no matter how much they whine and bitch, they won't change anyone's opinion with this kind of drivel.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah there's literally no other thing that switch owners could spend money on, they couldn't buy other games on other systems or spend their money on a multitude of other things, they're practically being forced at gunpoint to buy MK8 so it's no surprise the sales were that high.

It's true. Random Employee Kidnapping was just the beginning. Nintendo is now kidnapping civilians to force their family members to purchase their videogames.

sinonobu

Banned
How is the port selling so well?

People really have no other games to play.

the game looks so gorgeous on switch. well deserved.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm just gonna post here because I thought this wasn't used properly in the jojo thread.

Johnny Joestar should've been born in this era. He would be able to master the ability of Spin so quickly!

There are the people who are happy, like you and I, and the people saying it is the most innovative and groundbreaking console ever made, and will sell 20 million in its first year.

good thing no one has said the latter here as mostly are just cringing at the redundant, repetitive drive-by posts, but feel free to ignore and be "concerned"

this isn't the first time I've seen people use "fanboys" as an immediate reaction to a thread that didn't have any either, and even worse, pretend that they're not fanboys with their holier-than-thou attitude when in fact they are fanboys of a different sect

Floody

Are Nintendo even bundling it? I know that help the Wii version sell ridiculously well over time. Eitherway still massively impressive and I can see it becoming the Switch's by far best seller in time.
It and BoTW are already must buys whenever I decide to get a Switch.

Top Bottom