• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq will not be reviewing Nier

Gravijah

Baloonatic said:
You can't say that a game is broken just because someone is too thick to figure out an incredibly simple, optional part of it.

It's broken to the have wife, kids, am lazy demographic. I'm sure they liked to hear that.

This is why we can review games without beating them.

Stop thinking in the past. You don't need to beat a game to review it.

- There's no post-review embargo, Square Enix just sat on review copies until the game was out in a transparent attempt to, well, not have any reviews appear for a long time. Accomplished.

- Editors are not "paid to review games," they're paid to make high-level decisions about what content gets produced for a particular outlet. In this case, he's making the decision that this is the extent of the coverage he will give to it.

~Kinggi~ said:
It sounds like the game requires you to catch the fish?

Sounds damn retarded i must say.
How so? There are tons of games out there with mini-games that you are forced to do at least once in order to progress further into the game. As someone already mentioned, even Twilight Princess forces you to fish early on in the game too. In fact, I think almost every Zelda game has some point like this.

dream

~Kinggi~ said:

Cant say im a fan of the reviewers attitude toward the situation though. Sounds like he is ranting because he is infuriated.

Shouldn't he be?

Speevy

Banned
Those of you laughing at four hours...you realize reviewers blow through the games you love in a time similar to that...right?

Feep

Banned
Gravijah said:
Why are people allowed to make fun of the NY times blogs but not joystiq?
I think the New York Times blogs are shitty, and you might think Joystiq is, as well. But whining like brats that it isn't "professional" is the most obnoxious thing in the fucking world. Do any of you really want to read AP-styled articles? There's a reason the blog format is so popular. It's professional because it's Joystiq's profession to cater to and entertain its readers, as well as inform them.

Gravijah

Feep said:
I think the New York Times blogs are shitty, and you might think Joystiq is, as well. But whining like brats that it isn't "professional" is the most obnoxious thing in the fucking world. Do any of you really want to read AP-styled articles? There's a reason the blog format is so popular.

Just for the record, I like Joystiq and I read it for what it is. I'm not the kind of person who ridicules video game journalism for the most part, but this story is pretty stupid.

Speevy

Banned
IGN's "completed" review of Overlord

With a $60 price tag that is a full $20 more than the PC version, one would expect (demand?) a certain level of polish that Overlord lacks. A patch to fix the bugs may well be on the way, but that doesn't save those without Xbox Live the dread of having the game crap out on them at any moment. And who knows how soon, if at all, the game will be fixed? You may find your investment in time and money flushed down the drain. Without the bugs, this game would have scored in the high 7s, but game ending flaws are unacceptable and have completely soured the otherwise fun time I had with the game. Overlord is a "play at your own risk" title. If you're lucky enough to avoid the bugs, you'll find a fun game unlike any other on Xbox 360. If you do run head first into a game ending bug, don't say we didn't warn you.

Feep said:
this was a humorous video designed to show why Nier was a fundamentally flawed and broken game.
i found it deeply disturbing; a grown man on the verge of tears because of a videogame.

sad.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
That looked horrible. Like, damn. Wasn't going to buy it from the start, but damn.

i found it deeply disturbing; a grown man on the verge of tears because of a videogame.

sad.

Stupid post.

Volcynika

~Kinggi~ said:

Cant say im a fan of the reviewers attitude toward the situation though. Sounds like he is ranting because he is infuriated.

It technically does require it. But if you go to the part of the map where the X is (obvious), and mess it up a couple times, the game gives it to you for no effort.

(That's how I got it).

Feep

Banned
Gravijah said:
Just for the record, I like Joystiq and I read it for what it is. I'm not the kind of person who ridicules video game journalism for the most part, but this story is pretty stupid.
(shrug) That's fine. The story might very well be stupid. (He seems to think the fishing part is mandatory, people here are saying it's optional?) But the professionalism thing annoys me greatly. It isn't Joystiq's job to be "professional" in the way many people here seem to think is necessary. If they did so, they would be far less entertaining, and their business would suffer.

BlazingDarkness said:
aren't there pretty much zero western reviews for nier anyway?

Here's a video review I found on That Guy With the Glasses from The Sage at Blistered Thumbs on neir. He left out the fishing mechanic. Maybe it doesn't play such a big role as the Joystiq guy warrants. Or maybe he just had more time on his hands to just go roll with the punches.

Either way, it looks like this game is safe to pass over for most.

Edit: It helps if I put a link to the review...
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/the-sage/sage-review/21100-nier

Meet your nightmare...

big2.gif

Feep said:
(shrug) That's fine. The story might very well be stupid. (He seems to think the fishing part is mandatory, people here are saying it's optional?) But the professionalism thing annoys me greatly.

I think the first time is mandatory. You get the quest and there is a beach RIGHT NEXT TO where you get it from. Literally less than 10 feet away. Why you would go anywhere else is beyond me. It took me barely any time to complete as the fish you need only takes 5 seconds to reel in.

Gravijah

I NEED SCISSORS said:
But it has hermaphrodites.

Anyone else remember that guy who was talking about the hermaphrodite in Nier being cutting edge storytelling, and how pissed he was that we were getting different version? What happened to him?

Kyoufu

I think the biggest injustice with this is people will be put off playing what is actually a fantastic game and one of the better JRPGs this generation. Actually, its the best JRPG this generation.

Oh well.

EvaPlusMinus said:
Stupid post.
why? because i don't find a grown man acting like this to be entertaining? please enlighten me as to why i should find it funny that a supposedly matured adult would be reduced to acting like a child because of a virtual world?

stupid response. your turn.

Kyoufu said:
I think the biggest injustice with this is people will be put off playing what is actually a fantastic game and one of the better JRPGs this generation. Actually, its the best JRPG this generation.

Oh well.

Yeah, this frustrates me as well. People believe anything they read and will just think that the game is completely broken. The truth is that it's a tiny part of the game that you will get through in less than 2 minutes.

Speevy

Banned
Kyoufu said:

Oh well.

Wow, well then I better continue not being interested in it.

Stahsky

Rabbitwork said:
why? because i don't find a grown man acting like this to be entertaining? please enlighten me as to why i should find it funny that a supposedly matured adult would be reduced to acting like a child because of a virtual world?

stupid response. your turn.

Because you took it seriously, buddy.

Kyoufu said:

Oh well.

Is that so? Guess I'll check up a few reviews and get an idea of wtf this game is all about, then.

Edit: Metacritic says you are lying to me. What's going on here bub.

Theres no injustice here. The people who actually want to give Nier a chance will buy it/play it. This isn't a mass market game and its certainly not a game for everyone. And its hardly the best jrpg this generation.

Theres a reason impressions seem so positive on this game. The crowd that goes for this game are of course buying it. They are able to put up with these flaws because its part of a genre they understand and like. Put this in front of the typical people who maybe just play FF but venture little past that and you will get a lot more negative impressions.

dream

Kyoufu said:

Oh well.

Maybe they shouldn't put horseshit like this in their games then.

Majmun

Their loss. The game is great.
Got the Ps3 version since last friday. The shaman fish mission went perfect.
The dude is doing something wrong. You're also supposed to pull the left analog stick back to reduce the HP. He's clearly not doing that because the fish HP depletes way too slow in this game.
It takes me less than 15 seconds to catch a shaman fish. But the other (optional) fishing is pretty hard to do...

dream

EvaPlusMinus said:
Is that so? Guess I'll check up a few reviews and get an idea of wtf this game is all about, then.

Check out the official thread...it's pretty creepy.

coopolon

It's not his job to review the game, it's his job to generate clicks. He is for sure going to generate a lot more clicks with this then he would with a review, so he should probably get a bonus. Obviously, if he did this with every review, the fun would wear off quick.

I do think he should have talked to other people to see if this was such a problem, apparently he was doing it wrong. I'm not sure his concerns are actually valid, kind of like that guy who played and criticized Mass Effect without ever leveling up, his criticisms of the game were not valid imho.

Edit: I did think the video was very funny. My gf who was laying on the couch next to me was just hearing him talking and she laughed too, so good on him.

Hmm, I just had a pretty good idea. I think that video games should come with little paper booklets that explain these things. In-game tutorials aren't enough for people I guess.

Wait, what's this inside my case for NieR?!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Whatever. I bought Nier and I'm loving it. I just hope that people take the plunge and play this great game.

Gravijah

Baloonatic said:
Hmm, I just had a pretty good idea. I think that video games should come with little paper booklets that explain these things. In-game tutorials aren't enough for people I guess.

Inside that case is the EULA. Also, some shit about the buttons on your PS3 and such.

Kyoufu

EvaPlusMinus said:
Metacritic says you are lying to me. What's going on here bub.

Check out the official thread. Don't think there is a single negative impression from anyone in the thread.

In fact, people who were down on the game went out and bought it, played it and changed their tone.

Its a great game. Under-rated but thats because it doesn't have FFXIII levels of visuals and polish. Too bad that its far more fun and exciting to play than it and any other JRPG this gen.

Volcynika

Baloonatic said:

Real men don't read instructions!

We all have our Carnival Night Zone Act 2 Barrel's and this guy just found his

Still tempted by the kmart deal

sonic 3 SUCKS!!! as so does that part in FFIX where you need to use the shitty card game

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I honestly expected the Nier thread on GAF to be full of self-deprecating humor surrounding their masochistic gaming tendencies.

I was floored to find everyone was loving it. Then I picked it up and played it. Now I get why they enjoy it.

Stahsky

InfiniteNine said:
Seriously, Metacritic's your source for good games?

No, but I go there to get a general idea of what to expect on games that I know very little of.

Gravijah said:
GTAIV THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME

I love GTAIV, don't attack me GTAIV-GAF

The episodes were better than the actual game!

Gravijah

EvaPlusMinus said:
Because you took it seriously, buddy.

GTAIV THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME

I love GTAIV, don't attack me GTAIV-GAF

itsnervedamage said:
Has anyone mentioned that this happened because he didn't know how to read the X on the map?

Seriously, that's the funny part to me.

Yeah it's pretty amazing that he couldn't figure out how to follow a quest marker.

Top Bottom