• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq will not be reviewing Nier

I was having problems fishing in Nier, but then I spent 3 minutes using Google and figured out how to do it. That joker is not fishing in the right spot. Your fishing ability levels up, and he is in waters that require a higher level.

What a little bitch.

Lard

Banned
Wario64 said:
I was waiting for the Joystiq review before getting the game. Looks like I'll never have the pleasure of owning this game.

Why would you base your purchasing habits on one site's reviews?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Speevy said:
IGN's "completed" review of Overlord
I had a game ending bug about halfway through Overlord. I really loved the game but it prevented me from completing it, and I sure wasn't about to replay half of it.

How is it not a valid opinion if it is a potential outcome for any particular user?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
For people who haven't played Nier: Fishing is a mini-game, that you can choose to indulge in or ignore as you choose.

Except for 1 occasion, this one, which is basically a tutorial introducing the system and therefore part of the main story flow.

Its why there's a big red X on the minimap to show you where to fish. And just so there can be no doubt that's what its there for, the x is at a point out in the middle water.

The X on the map is used throughout the game to show you where you need to go to progress the story, (open world remember, so he must have seen it numerous times by this point)- so how he missed it is somewhat incredible!

Coldsnap

odd question but what TV do you think the reviewer is using? That color looks amazing.

Also the fishing looks like FFXI which makes me want to buy the game so much more.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I was having problems fishing in Nier, but then I spent 3 minutes using Google and figured out how to do it. That joker is not fishing in the right spot. Your fishing ability levels up, and he is in waters that require a higher level.

What a little bitch.

wtf?
You shouldn't need to consult the internet to learn how to play a video game.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
At the end of the video was he saying that he
caught the wrong kind of fish
?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I can't look online for tips to play a minigame? WTF indeed.

You must buy strategy guides for all your games.

Seriously. This thread has all sorts of "wtf"s going about.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ColonelColon said:
wtf?

Have you never played a mini-game before?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, what a stoic professional. Poor baby couldn't make it through the optional mini-game to finish playing a video game for money.

What a bitch.

The fact that this game is actually really, really, really good makes me wonder how many people are going to look at this half-assed attempt at a review and not even attempt Nier? It's disappointing.

Zezboob

Reviewers are often complaining about the lack of diversity in games.
He got served.

Personally I am not fond of these mini parts of gameplay, which have nothing to do with the main gameplay and often bring more annoyance than pleasure, specially when it's poorly executed.
Recently it was Bayonetta with its Space Harrier sequence.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
At first I didn't care about Nier.
Then watching the Joystiq video made me actively dislike Nier.
Then watching a few Youtube videos made we want to buy Nier.
Now I want to have delicious hermaphrodite anime girl and angry Nick Nolte running around on my TV screen.
Wtf.

Zezboob said:
Personally I am not fond of these mini parts of gameplay, which have nothing to do with the main gameplay and often bring more annoyance than pleasure, specially when it's poorly executed.
Yep really pissed me off in that game. It was super un-fun and since you can use the dodge button there it just makes it a mash dodge-a-thon.

Wow this is pathetic. Great job joystiq. Good thing I never checked their blog in the first place so I'm unable to regret any hits I might have given it.

The game in question is irrelevant but to write it off over something so inconsequential(not to mention apparently the "reviewer" was going around it the wrong way) makes me wonder why he bothers with games at all.

I guess for some reason all videogames today are supposed to be at a uniform level of difficulty and/or complexity so that reviewers who play countless numbers of the exact same games don't suddenly get confused and can no longer do their job.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I can't look online for tips to play a minigame? WTF indeed.

You must buy strategy guides for all your games.

I think you might have misunderstood my post. I didn't say that you can't look online for tips, but that you shouldn't need to do that. imo, a game has failed if it can't be played without a guide or FAQ. I haven't played Nier, however, so I can't really comment on whether I think this reviewer's particular criticism is accurate.

ColonelColon said:
wtf?

If you know how to read the X on your map, you wont have to.

There really should be more laughing in this thread.

ColonelColon said:
I think you might have misunderstood my post. I didn't say that you can't look online for tips, but that you shouldn't need to do that. imo, a game has failed if it can't be played without a guide or FAQ. I haven't played Nier, however, so I can't really comment on whether I think this reviewer's particular criticism is accurate.

You don't need to because it's explained in the manual and with the in-game tutorials.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Why was he pulling left when the fish was going right? :lol. You could see the water splash!
If you're supposed to pull the same direction don't go the opposite direction then, you silly non-reviewer

Edit: God damn, he has the annoying voice I have ever heard.

Edit 2: I just youtubed this and a guy catched a fish in 5 seconds. What is going on, Nier-Gaf? :(

Zezboob said:
Reviewers are often complaining about the lack of diversity in games.
He got served.

Oh boy.. more offhanded attacks on Bayonetta's flying chapter. The level is well designed and well executed, and you don't have to ever use the dodge button during it. It's as action and skill based as any other part of the game.

Games journalists tend to be poorly skilled at games. That's just how it is. If a game doesn't have multiple difficulty levels, or if the easiest difficulty level is still too hard for them, they will complain.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, let me get this right. This is the tutorial to the fishing mini-game that is optional from this point on. It puts a giant red X on the map where you should fish from to complete the quest. Then this joker decides NOT to fish at the big red X, but somewhere else then rants about and slams the game as a whole?

Man, there are some terrible fucking players writing about games for a living.

WanderingWind

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Wow this is pathetic. Great job joystiq. Good thing I never checked their blog in the first place so I'm unable to regret any hits I might have given it.

The game in question is irrelevant but to write it off over something so inconsequential(not to mention apparently the "reviewer" was going around it the wrong way) makes me wonder why he bothers with games at all.

I guess for some reason all videogames today are supposed to be at a uniform level of difficulty and/or complexity so that reviewers who play countless numbers of the exact same games don't suddenly get confused and can no longer do their job.

Don't you understand? They have a job to do, and taking more than 4 hours to do that job is simply unacceptable. Nobody else on this planet works for more than 4 hours at a time - why should they?

mjemirzian said:
Oh boy.. more offhanded attacks on Bayonetta's flying chapter. The level is well designed and well executed, and you don't have to ever use the dodge button during it. It's as action and skill based as any other part of the game.
No it it isn't. Besides the fact that at least on normal all it is is shoot and mash the dodge button, I didn't buy Bayonetta for stupid Panzer Dragoon levels. I bought it so I could play a good 3rd person action game. Every part in that game that isnt like that was beyond annoying.

Zezboob

mjemirzian said:
First I disagree on one thing, sometimes you barely see shit on what is in front. But well, once you know the stage, it's of course not a problem.

But the main problem, it's when I buy a beat'em up, why the fuck I am forced to play a god damn shooter?! It's STUPID.

Vamphuntr

WanderingWind said:
Unless, you know, that's your job, or somethi,ng.

Yeah but at the same time this could have biased his review. If you are frustrated by a mechanic or stuck in the game or clearly have a strong bias against the game, it may be for the best that you don't review it. Because of this annoyance he would probably have bashed the rest of the game anyway.

As for Joystiq, well it's full of lol as usual. Writing in the review that I won't play it anymore because I have a wife and a kid is a poor excuse. I mean that is your job. Having a wife and a kid doesn't mean that you must have a free pass in life. If you are too weak sauce to review it, at least say it.

Vamphuntr said:
Yeah but at the same time this could have biased his review. If you are frustrated by a mechanic or stuck in the game or clearly have a strong bias against the game, it may be for the best that you don't review it. Because of this annoyance he would probably have bashed the rest of the game anyway.

Yeah it's like I'm playing through Killzone 2 and I decided to quit during or just after the fight with the ATAC. The ATAC-fight is IMO the worst section of the game though I bet people who beat the game on Elite will say something about the tail end of the game. Regardless that's the worst time to write a review cause instead of saying something like "This game is decent except for this one section that threatens to bring the entire game down..." they'll say "SHIT ASS FUCK SHIT SHIT GAME IS SHIT FUCK FUCK FUCK".

Cause there's a very real possibility that I was playing that part of the game wrong or I missed something completely obvious. Somebody is eventually going to bring it up and whoops there goes that credibility I'm trying to build up as a reviewer.

LiK

i wish they didn't change the main character for the "Western" audience. who the fuck they think would play this game?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Vamphuntr said:

As for Joystiq, well it's full of lol as usual. Writing in the review that I won't play it anymore because I have a wife and a kid is a poor excuse. I mean that is your job. Having a wife and a kid doesn't mean that you must have a free pass in life. If you are too weak sauce to review it, at least say it.
He doesn't have kids. He has a cat.

A creature that does everything but feed itself.

LiK said:
i wish they didn't change the main character for the "Western" audience. who the fuck they think would play this game?
i think you got it the wrong way, the old Nier was the original design, and they made the young one for japanese audience

Cep

Banned
Vamphuntr said:

I think he more or less said this. Indirectly.

WanderingWind said:
Unless, you know, that's your job, or somethi,ng.
That is between him and the people that he works for. I could not care less.

BlazingDarkness said:
i think you got it the wrong way, the old Nier was the original design, and they made the young one for japanese audience
Yeah, pretty obvious. Old Nier's design meshes better with the game.

LiK

BlazingDarkness said:

oh, my bad. i read the wrong info.

Anemone

Neo Member
Coldsnap said:
odd question but what TV do you think the reviewer is using? That color looks amazing.

Also the fishing looks like FFXI which makes me want to buy the game so much more.

Yea, I checked the video, all that I gathered was that this Joystiq writer is spastic and that he'd never get past pulling up rusty subligar.

h3ro

For all the hate Joystiq gets, I thought that video was hilarious. They got me to lol. Good job JS.

Gonna check out their podcast now.

WanderingWind

Foxtastical said:
Yeah, and then let's write reviews just like they did in a 1993 issue of EGM.

So...the choices are writing like a 1993 EGM reviewer...or putting up a lulzy video that highlights your lack of attention to detail and inability to complete simple job related tasks and still calling yourself a professional reviewer?

Amir0x said:
god Nier looks awful. It has such a good soundtrack though, man

No, it's really good actually. Great unique world, memorable characters, the soundtrack(ya, I know) and tons of exploration and plenty of challenge.

Some reviewers, I swear, are so terrible.

The fishing thing is ENTIRELY optional. If you don't want to do it, don't. If you fail the shaman fish thing three times, you automatically get it. And then that's it.

The fact that he a) didn't realize this and b) is letting this hinder the absolutely amazing experience is almost insulting. When people think of Nier now, they will think of this. They will think this is a the whole game. The (indeed) worst thing about Nier, entirely optional, is going to destroy sales. And I won't get a Nier 2. >:eek:!!

Amir0x said:
god Nier looks awful. It has such a good soundtrack though, man

Don't judge a book/game by its cover. This is the sleeper of the year. Just visit the thread and see how much praise it's getting.

Top Bottom