• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq will not be reviewing Nier

WanderingWind said:
So...the choices are writing like a 1993 EGM reviewer...or putting up a lulzy video that highlights your lack of attention to detail and inability to complete simple job related tasks and still calling yourself a professional reviewer?.
That must be exactly what I said.

Protip: I'm not defending this guy, he sounds like a complete doucher. I'm just defending the idea that you don't have to beat a game in order to review it.

Amir0x

Banned
WanderingWind said:
No, it's really good actually. Great unique world, memorable characters, the soundtrack(ya, I know) and tons of exploration and plenty of challenge.

Well we can count out memorable characters as this is a Squeenix game, but we'll see about the other "pros".

I'll get Nier when its ten bucks because it just seems awful in about every way and I've already wasted my money enough this year on SquareEnix games.

It just seems like one of those games with a billion flaws around every corner but people overlook 'em because, hey, what else are you gonna play if you like jRPGs this gen on consoles? FFXIII? Lost Odyssey? Haha. Plus, the action gameplay looks abysmal

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Amir0x said:
what else are you gonna play if you like jRPGs this gen on consoles? FFXIII? Lost Odyssey? lol

Final Fantasy VII HD - coming exclusively to PS3 as per the leaked E3 list thread!
Is White Knight Chronicles any good?

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
FateBreaker said:
Some reviewers, I swear, are so terrible.

The fishing thing is ENTIRELY optional. If you don't want to do it, don't. If you fail the shaman fish thing three times, you automatically get it. And then that's it.

The fact that he a) didn't realize this and b) is letting this hinder the absolutely amazing experience is almost insulting. When people think of Nier now, they will think of this. They will think this is a the whole game. The (indeed) worst thing about Nier, entirely optional, is going to destroy sales. And I won't get a Nier 2. >:eek:!!

Don't judge a book/game by its cover. This is the sleeper of the year. Just visit the thread and see how much praise it's getting.

But he was saying it wasn't optional, I think. He said his daughter was sick and he had to catch that one type of fish. Did I hear him wrong?

Amir0x said:
Well we can count out memorable characters as this is a Squeenix game, but we'll see about the other "pros".

I'll get Nier when its ten bucks because it just seems awful in about every way and I've already wasted my money enough this year on SquareEnix games. One of those games with a billion flaws around every corner but people overlook 'em because, hey, what else are you gonna play if you like jRPGs this gen on consoles? FFXIII? Lost Odyssey? lol
The games by Cavia and they maybe have better characters then Square games. If only because of the mature factor of them. You know incest and hermaphrodites and stuff.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Amir0x said:

I'll get Nier when its ten bucks because it just seems awful in about every way and I've already wasted my money enough this year on SquareEnix games.

It just seems like one of those games with a billion flaws around every corner but people overlook 'em because, hey, what else are you gonna play if you like jRPGs this gen on consoles? FFXIII? Lost Odyssey? Haha. Plus, the action gameplay looks abysmal

Meh. I think if you get bored enough to search my posts in the FFXIII thread, you'll see I'm definitely not a Squeenix fan. That doesn't mean this game is the exception to their rule. I was shocked, frankly.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not going to really debate the merits of the characters because unlike FFXIII I really don't know too much about the greater details of the story. I just know there's bizarre hermaphrodite demon girls and crazy book tipsters and it seems just like the sort of shit I'd hate, like you'd need to be into that Japan craziness to care about.

coopolon

Maybe part of the reason i find this fun and amusing and not bad is because I realize that all videogame reviews, previews, etc. are all pretty stupid. They're not impartial, they're not unbiased, they're probably rarely ethical (it's okay that they flew me to this exotic resort, bought me bunch of alcohol, and made me buddy buddy with the developers, I can still be completely impartial and honest lol money hats). They're just what a bunch of guys with no more qualifications than you or me think of videogames. At least he's being honest rather then looking at the cover and then writing a review.

Cep

Banned
Amir0x said:

There have been many instances of that this gen and it is just sad.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Combichristoffersen said:
Final Fantasy VII HD - coming exclusively to PS3 as per the leaked E3 list thread!
Is White Knight Chronicles any good?

Hell no.

And Amir0x? I'm not a Japanophile either. Seriously. You'll regret not playing this one earlier. Check the official thread. It's the surprise game of 2010.

Amir0x

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Hell no.

And Amir0x? I'm not a Japanophile either. Seriously. You'll regret not playing this one earlier. Check the official thread. It's the surprise game of 2010.

I think I'll take my chances here. I'm really happy it did it for you, but, I'm not a forgiving person when it comes to games. I've read about the various horrors in Nier, and I don't think I have the patience for it (even putting aside its story/characters, which there is virtually no chance of me liking anyway).

After I threw my money in the fire over FFXIII, and with all the various reports confirming Nier is a mess, I just can't do it. At $10, I can.

Amir0x said:
it seems just like the sort of shit I'd hate, like you'd need to be into that Japan craziness to care about.

I don't know how you can possibly expect Nier to seemingly be something. It constantly changes what it is.

Rahxephon91 said:
No it it isn't. Besides the fact that at least on normal all it is is shoot and mash the dodge button, I didn't buy Bayonetta for stupid Panzer Dragoon levels. I bought it so I could play a good 3rd person action game. Every part in that game that isnt like that was beyond annoying.

http://zoome.jp/nekopunch/diary/37

Video of a skilled player going through the level without dodging once on NSIC, and never dropping their combo chain. You should not discuss 'facts' when you aren't aware of what skilled players are capable of. That's a big mistake a lot of games journalists make as well.

Just because the level isn't 'what you expected' doesn't automatically make it poorly designed or executed.

Amir0x

Banned
FateBreaker said:
I don't know how you can possibly expect Nier to seemingly be something. It constantly changes what it is.

Gameplay wise (which is, in fact, exactly why it's a mess by most reports). But we're just talking about its characters/story in that comment on mine. If the story is also all over the place, that's not a positive.

Amir0x said:
I'm not going to really debate the merits of the characters because unlike FFXIII I really don't know too much about the greater details of the story. I just know there's bizarre hermaphrodite demon girls and crazy book tipsters and it seems just like the sort of shit I'd hate, like you'd need to be into that Japan craziness to care about.
But the characters are edgy because she shes got a dick and cruses a lot or something.

Video of a skilled player going through the level without dodging once on NSIC, and never dropping their combo chain. You should not discuss 'facts' when you aren't aware of what skilled players are capable of. That's a big mistake a lot of games journalists make as well.
Ok slim jim since I'm no crazy Japanese gamer I can't tell if that's on hard or whatever. Hey its cool for him but the fact is that doesn't prove anything. What that guy did is limit himself aka giving yourself a disadvantage. A good game shouldn't have you do that in order to make it challenging and fun. Since I used what the game gave me me it made the level entirely boring.

And lets not forgot I was buying a third person action game, not after burner.

Just because the level isn't 'what you expected' doesn't automatically make it poorly designed or executed.
Oh so I should be alright when Star Craft 2 puts in fighting game levels. Yeah I should be thrilled. What happens if I don't like fighting games? And I don't call level design something where I have to put myself at a disadvantage great.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
What a fragile ego that reviewer has. Feel bad for him.

sarcoa

ICallItFutile said:
Yeah wtf is up with that?
We got our review copy on friday. I'm guessing it's the same reason movie studios delay press reviews for films that are tracking poorly, apparently Squeenix didn't expect much from Nier.

I was ready to write it off after a bland intro, but 15 hours deep and I'm quite fond of the game. Lowered expectations? Maybe, but there's good stuff in there.

K' Dash

Amir0x said:
what else are you gonna play if you like jRPGs this gen on consoles? FFXIII? Lost Odyssey? Haha. Plus, the action gameplay looks abysmal

Being Lost Odissey the best jRPG this gen, yeah I'd start with that, Jansen alone has more personality than the entire FXIII cast, except maybe fot Sahz.

Big Ass Ramp said:
But he was saying it wasn't optional, I think. He said his daughter was sick and he had to catch that one type of fish. Did I hear him wrong?

You heard him right. I am saying he is factually incorrect.

After three tries, the game automatically gives you the shaman fish. After that, you don't have to do the minigame again.

I don't understand how he could miss this, either. The game hilariously says "three days later..." and Nier finally gets the fish.

Rahxephon91 said:
Ok slim jim since I'm no crazy Japanese gamer I can't tell if that's on hard or whatever. Hey its cool for him but the fact is that doesn't prove anything. What that guy did is limit himself aka giving yourself a disadvantage. A good game shouldn't have you do that in order to make it challenging and fun. Since I used what the game gave me me it made the level entirely boring.

And lets not forgot I was buying a third person action game, not after burner.

Actually dodging in that section is a disadvantageous move which is why he doesn't use it. Amusingly dodging in the latest afterburner arcade port on xbox live is also a bad move.

In any case, it looks like the 'this is poorly designed and executed' argument is falling apart yet again.. until the next thread when someone offhandedly tries to bash the stage.

Rahxephon91 said:
What that guy did is limit himself aka giving yourself a disadvantage.

Actually not dodging is easier since you can fire off more shots and thus get more missiles, which will kill things faster.

I played through it and only used dodge during the few attacks that activated witch time and did much better than when I was spamming dodge.

I still don't like the level that much but it was definitely way less shitty. Take that as you will.

mjemirzian said:
Actually dodging in that section is a disadvantageous move which is why he doesn't use it. Amusingly dodging in the latest afterburner arcade port on xbox live is also a bad move.
How is it a disadvantage? When you use it basically nothing will ever hit you and you can stay in one place. I know this to be true. I just beat this game like two days.

Actually not dodging is easier since you can fire off more shots and thus get more missiles, which will kill things faster.
Fine that makes more sense.

In any case, it looks like the 'this is poorly designed and executed' argument is falling apart yet again.. until the next thread when someone offhandedly tries to bash the stage.
I never said it was poorly designed. I just said it was un-fun and not needed. Which to me it is. You can believe its designed very well all you want. Doesn't change the fact that to me it was a weak point in a pretty good game.

Axiom

I had similar issues trying to catch the fish, so a week before the game came out in the U.S. I was still able to pop online, ask about it and get quick responses from fellow gamers.

The fishing in the game is crap, but it took me no time at all to find out what I was doing wrong and get back to enjoying a flawed but still quite good game.
The reason this is annoying is that most everyone posting in the Nier thread is posting the same sort of things - went in expecting the worst, came out surprised that it's not just not crap, but pretty good with flaws that an amazing soundtrack and some of the best translation work in years let you forget.

Not everything Nier tries works, but it mostly does and considering it's actually trying so many things and not failing it's not something to gloss over in a time when one of the main sticking points this gen being there's developers are out there saying that pulling off this sort of game is impossible without the resources of a small planet. Cavia of all fucking people actually realised stupidly high ambitions without fundementally screwing something up. It really puts them on the map as a company to watch, beyond 'the company with the most crazy different and crazy Japanese storytelling in modern gaming.

Between Yakuza 3, Nier and Monster Hunter Tri, this is the year for frustrating fishing minigames.

LQX

Holy shit I had the same headache fishing in Zelda on the Wii. I so fucking hated it.

And I see where he is coming from even with games you like. I loved Shadow of the Colossus but after trying to beat the last boss for days I just said fuck it as it was making me hate the game more than love it. I hate annoying tedious shit like that and just seeing that fishing part makes me not even want to buy a game like that at bargain bin prices.

Vamphuntr

K' Dash said:
Being Lost Odissey the best jRPG this gen, yeah I'd start with that, Jansen alone has more personality than the entire FXIII cast, except maybe fot Sahz.

I could never pass the beginning of the third disk. The characters were all boring to me. Especially with the whole everyone is suffering from amnesia. Then the funeral sequence and the fact that you have to baby sit the two twins them killed the game for me. Battle system was slow and boring and the immortal link system wasn't fun or great, it was tiresome to always switch the roster to bring your immortal up to speed. The bad guy was some wizard with ridiculous eyebrows creating mud puppets and controlling some incompetent prince.

The only JRPG I liked enough to replay this gen was ToV.

Lawlight

Banned
LQX said:
Holy shit I had the same headache fishing in Zelda on the Wii. I so fucking hated it.

And I see where he is coming from even with games you like. I loved Shadow of the Colossus but after trying to beat the last boss for days I just said fuck it as it was making me hate the game more than love it. I hate annoying tedious shit like that and just seeing that fishing part makes me not even want to buy a game like that at bargain bin prices.

I guess games like Demon's Souls or where you require some skill won't please you.

I couldn't care less if this guy reviews it or not, but Nier reeks of one of those "GAF-approved" games that makes tons of shitty decisions and has a lot of flaws (that are pointed out in reviews that are often categorized as "don't get the game" or "missed the point") but a core group at GAF loves its quirky charm and are falling over each other to tell everyone to get it. It happens like 3 or 4 times a year. This year so far we've had Deadly Premonition and now Nier.

MechaX

The joystiq video non-withstanding (I mean, too many people commented enough about it here), I think this entire appeal for Nier is a Catch-22.

I mean, right now I'm not quite financially in the spot where I can take risks with a $60 game that I might hate. But that's okay, every game deserves a chance! So I'll check the reviews and...

Oh wait, GAF tells me that the reviews aren't trustworthy...

Okay then, let's check the official thread for impressions! ... Hm, hermaphrodite fawning, and a load of comments saying it's the best console RPG to come out this generation. Okay, why is it the best RPGs to come out this generation? The music is awesome? That's good, but I can already get the OST, so I don't see why I should buy a game for that... It's better than FFXIII? ... Okay, given how divisive FFXIII was, it's likely to see a fair amount of people that might think ill of it.

Okay, I shouldn't check the press reviews and the impressions so far really don't tell me a lot about the game. What about the Giant Bomb quicklook- Oh... I shouldn't watch that because apparently Ryan sucks at games. So where in the hell can I get info to see why this game is so immaculate? "Oh, you have to try it for yourself and see the greatest!"

Ugh.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Amir0x said:

I didn't realize the publisher can change whether or not the characters in a game are memorable. Please school me more on the ins and outs of game development, Amir0x.

Diablos said:
I have zero interest in this game. Zero.

I know your taste in games Diablos. You'd like Nier. You really would.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
OK, so this game sounds about as bad as Demon's Souls.

That's about as glowing a review as any game can get.

Feep

Banned
thetrin said:
I didn't realize the publisher can change whether or not the characters in a game are memorable. Please school me more on the ins and outs of game development, Amir0x.
To be fair, no console Square-Enix game has had more than one decent character since FFIX (Vivi, Steiner, Beatrix). That was in 1999.

Rahxephon91 said:
Well I mean the fact that this game has some frustrating or just bad parts show should have been obvious. Its by Cavia.
You should actually play the fucking game before you make any judgment. The Drakengard games were good, and this game is, apparently, fairly awesome.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Feep said:
To be fair, no console Square-Enix game has had more than one decent character since FFIX (Vivi, Steiner, Beatrix). That was in 1999.

You don't think Drakengard had interesting characters? TWEWY? REALLY?

jett

D-Member
FateBreaker said:
You heard him right. I am saying he is factually incorrect.

After three tries, the game automatically gives you the shaman fish. After that, you don't have to do the minigame again.

I don't understand how he could miss this, either. The game hilariously says "three days later..." and Nier finally gets the fish.

Wow, if this is true then this joystiq guy is just a tardbucket.

ZephyrFate said:
You should actually play the fucking game before you make any judgment. The Drakengard games were good, and this game is, apparently, fairly awesome.
I've played Nier, Bullet Witch, Winback 2, Drakengard 1 and 2, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Beat Down, and the Resident Evil games. I think I know my Cavia games. And I also think I can say that Nier is not very good.

I don't have much to say about the video. Justin fucked up and made a silly video, which was still pretty funny. It's not like he's constantly doing this, all his other reviews are fine, and he's hilarious on the podcast.

Anyway, the reason I posted was to say that Lost Odyssey is not anywhere close to being the best JRPG of the generation. I hate that game with a burning passion, hate it so much. The characters are fucking terrible, TERRIBLE. It has some of the worst costume design I've ever seen, and the battle system is boring as fuck. I got near the end and got locked into a situation where I could not beat the enemies required to progress. Because of how it was set up I couldn't go anywhere to level up. I was stuck having to fight these guys (which were impossible for me to beat) or to quit the game.

Guess what I did.

Fuck that game.

Top Bottom