• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes July 12th

Welfare

While not in the US, Pokemon GO seems to have had a real effect on 3DS sales in the UK. 3DS hardware and 3DS Pokemon software more than doubled last week. Much more in the actual article.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/reta...hristmas-following-pok-mon-go-success/0170027

TOP SELLING POKÉMON GAMES FOR WEEK ENDING JULY 16TH (Sales Increase %)

1. Pokémon Alpha Sapphire – 148%

2. Pokémon Omega Ruby – 148%

3. Pokémon X – 238%

4. Pokémon Y – 188%

5. Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon – 65%

These five games in total –148%

Pokémon Total – 145%

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Didn't cosmic say it'll have no impact on hardware?

We already know sales are more than double in UK, and we have this Amazon chart in the US:

#9 New 3DS RED
#15 XBO 2TB ***
#19 PS4 COD BO III 500gb
#21 XBO GOW 2TB ***
#43 New 3DS BLACK (Sould out, was in TOP 10 when it was on stock)
#57 XBO 1TB
#61 PSV
#69 PS4

*** pre orders only

I think is pretty safe to say that, yes, Pokémon GO boosted 3DS sales, and of course Pokémon games. :)

I heard the title rankings in the public release may be done on a revenue basis rather than units now. Not certain though.

Didn't cosmic say it'll have no impact on hardware?

Pretty sure I said I wouldn't anticipate that it would have an impact on hardware.

But it sure could have. Internet shrug thing.

Blanquito

I heard the title rankings in the public release may be done on a revenue basis rather than units now. Not certain though.

That would be interesting. So smaller titles like Minecraft and Rocket League would probably get bumped out, or at the very least moved down in rankings... I think.

That would be interesting. So smaller titles like Minecraft and Rocket League would probably get bumped out, or at the very least moved down in rankings... I think.

Also, those rare cases where a game goes on sale for a ridiculously low price and ends up in the charts.

ps3ud0

So am I right in thinking theres no chance of a proper NPD thread because any HW data we would have already was announced last week but due to the source not being official it cant be featured in the OP. I didnt even notice a VB article on HW...

I guess we will get one because of the software list released in a few hours but from what Ive seen in the discussion here thats pretty much all but useless now that some publishers share digital data and others dont with NPD.

ps3ud0 8)

Sterok

Jeez, 3DS titles aren't going to be helped by that at all.

Well on the bright side, with Metroid Prime: Blast Ball being out and free, 3DS is sure to win July now.

Mory Dunz

20 years later, still have no idea why Pokemon is popular.

...really?

I think it's one of the few easily explained phenomena or fads in my lifetime.

- Appealing/cute designs
- Strong Hardware base (GB)
- Good mascot character (something Digimon never really got)
- TV show
- Marketing/easy to merchandize
- The game was good, had time taking goals that promoted interaction.
- Trading and battling
- etc

I mean, what's not to get? Predicting that it would blow up like it did would be impossible of course, but the base reasons why it's popular are clear.

Now Furbies, I didn't get those. The design freaked me out as a kid.

Alright you JRPG crazy people.

I've only played Chrono Trigger. No other JRPG has made it past the opening 20 minute cutscene. Well, I got through like 30 minutes of Eternal Sonata but then that got real weird.

But today. Today is the day I try again.

Picked up Tokyo Mirage Sessions: FE.

Going to give it a solid go. It looks like my kind of crazy. But I really don't like JRPGs, generally. Hopefully this time!

...really?

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be dismissive or disparaging. Just no personal appeal is all.

Shin-chan

I've only played Chrono Trigger. No other JRPG has made it past the opening 20 minute cutscene. Well, I got through like 30 minutes of Eternal Sonata but then that got real weird.

Going to give it a solid go. It looks like my kind of crazy. But I really don't like JRPGs, generally. Hopefully this time!

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be dismissive or disparaging. Just no personal appeal is all.
I hope you like it. The story is ass but the characters are really charming and the combat is fun (especially at the beginning before every attack becomes a 20 second animation of repeated hits).

Where the hell is the NPD release?

I hope you like it. The story is ass but the characters are really charming and the combat is fun (especially at the beginning before every attack becomes a 20 second animation of repeated hits).

Is story at least really stupid as to be funny? Or is it self serious?

When I read " still have no idea why Pokemon is popular" it sounds like why is this popular in the World?

Well, this question is way down my list of things in this world that make no sense. The first is still how Europeans call a piece of cheese on a slice of bread a "sandwich".

Did we read the new rules correctly?
As dead as this thread is on a supposed NPD day, maybe everyone else knew better and we are waiting for godot.

Well, this question is way down my list of things in this world that make no sense. The first is still how Europeans call a piece of cheese on a slice of bread a "sandwich".
Please don't put all europeans into one bag. I'd call two slices of bread with stuff stuffed between, in triangular shape a sandwich.
A slice of bread with cheese is a Käsebrot, -bemme or -stulle.

Shin-chan

Is story at least really stupid as to be funny? Or is it self serious?

It's a mixed bag of taking itself seriously in the main story to having some fun in the side stories (although not all of the time). The main character is also really boring unless he's describing food.

Also, in the uk you've got yourself a cheese sandwich. Or a kaas broodje in Belgium (I think).

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Ok, this time should be correct :D

Cn6_Qv1WYAAKxGB.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/756252093703458817

Shin-chan

I used to look forward to NPD night...

This is basically as useful as those monthly PSN charts, except at least those are divided into platforms and we get one for Europe too.

Rymuth

But I really don't like JRPGs, generally. Hopefully this time!.
Wow...just....wow...

That's like someone saying they don't like MMOs and decides to have a stab at it with EVE Online.
People usually dip their toes with staffer options before zooming in on the niche that suits them.

I admire your gutso. I really do.

Bruno MB

NPD outdid themselves when it comes to their monthly video game sales data press release.

Well, I nowadays only care about Media Create / Famitsu and GfK Chart-Track.

Bruno MB

I guess npd won't be as interesting just going by these charts

NPD threads will be the same as usual since we previously got basically the same info as now (no hardware and just software top 10 without figures), just that NPD's public data is even more useless than before .

We (hopefully) will still be getting hardware / software sales data from leakers creamsugar and Aquamarine.

RexNovis

Banned
Man what is even the point of releasing software rankings anymore if they are so wildly inaccurate and so little information can actually be gleaned from them? This is depressing.

Heard lots of mixed things about Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I generally don't enjoy crossover RPGs with the only exception being Kingdom Hearts (don't ask me why I honestly have no idea I think it's mostly nostalgia).

If you liked Chrono Trigger though you might want to give I Am Setsuna a try. It's basically a love letter to Chrino Trigger with modern painterly like art and a gorgeous solo piano soundtrack. I'm playing through it right now. I really can't praise the soundtrack enough it's often hauntingly beautiful and I'm a total sucker for games with great soundtracks.

Generally I find charts after revenue not this bad. It's similar to cinema box office. This is quite fair if you think it through.

But getting no console split is boring. They have no heart for console worriors, I mean, private sales analysts.

Also splitting dates for hard- and software is just unsexy.

Well, if cinema box office had some films including DVD and VOD revenue, while others only report box office, anyway.
Not really. DVD/VOD is way after cinema. I understand your line of thinking, but it's no good analogy.
Digital and retail games are at the same time from the start. They are equal values and putting them together in added value makes sense.

Box office doesn't count sold tickets but revenue. So they don't care if the visitor saw it at IMAX or backstreet cinema. And that's the same here.

LordRaptor

You're right of course, but you see the concern; selective data is inherently more flawed than raw data, and combining the two veers towards misinformation rather than information.

Top Bottom