• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2017 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, July 11th

Wierd, I guess I am back to being on the higher end of predictions. Optimism Gaf hoooooooooo!^^

...Destiny bundle will sell gang busters. Now make sure you make enough to last until December along with Battlefront and COD WII.

Destiny bundle will sell gang busters. Now make sure you make enough to lat until December along with Battlefront and COD WII.

Sony knows how to use marketing to their advantage, if they make s CoD and a Battlefront Pro bundle they will cruise by in the Holidays without a worry of the competition.

Sony knows how to use marketing to their advantage, if they make s CoD and a Battlefront Pro bundle they will cruise by in the Holidays without a worry of the competition.

At least one of those games will just be a standard PS4 bundle. While they want to move Pro's they also want an entry level bundle for the price minded consumer.

Though actually it might not be either of those, it might be Horizon Zero Dawn. The software bundle would essentially be free for them as it's 1st party and would get the game into more hands, ala UC4 last year

ethomaz

Banned
You can expect this year with PS4...

Destiny 2 bundle.
CoD bundle.
Battlefront bundle.
FIFA bundle * at least EU.
GTS bundle * at least EU.

Wierd, I guess I am back to being on the higher end of predictions. Optimism Gaf hoooooooooo!^^

...Destiny bundle will sell gang busters. Now make sure you make enough to last until December along with Battlefront and COD WII.

Ps4 peak year this year? I can see it.

I trust EU Sony to do just that, but NA Sony seems to be real slow to introduce bundles in the past. Or having special ones just for a short period of time. I think giving people options with both Pro and Slim and the three biggest sellers of the year (Destiny 2, BF2, and COD WII) would steal a lot of Xbox1x thunder and make a lot of kids happy on Christmas. I just do not think they will offer all of that all holiday long. Hope I am wrong.

At least one of those games will just be a standard PS4 bundle. While they want to move Pro's they also want an entry level bundle for the price minded consumer.

Though actually it might not be either of those, it might be Horizon Zero Dawn. The software bundle would essentially be free for them as it's 1st party and would get the game into more hands, ala UC4 last year

They had PS3 Destiny bundles along with the white PS4 bundles last time and both did well for them. If they want to win holiday they should (in my humble opinion) have every option open for the holiday season. Pro or slim, big 3rd party or 1st party, black or white, let the customer have options at different price points and I think both sides leave happy. Xbox will have a Minecraft one (which will do fine) an Assassin's Creed one (which will do great) a Forza one (which will do what it always does) and a Crackdown 3 one (which will likely sell poorly, but who knows). That is not too bad, but Sony is in a position to offer a much more attractive selection of bundles if they just pulled the trigger. I just fear that they will have one of two holiday bundles and call it a day.

Welfare

I'm gonna guess Crash does ~250K with digital so ~$10M in revenue. No idea what position that would put the game on the chart.

sense

As much as these bundles will keep Sony in good stead for the holidays, the price tag of 449$ isn't exactly attractive so should be interesting to see how much they push in terms of pro hardware. Obviously, the vanilla PS4 slim versions of these game bundles will do very well at 249 with them going to 199 around Black Friday.

Dynomutt

As much as these bundles will keep Sony in good stead for the holidays, the price tag of 449$ isn't exactly attractive so should be interesting to see how much they push in terms of pro hardware. Obviously, the vanilla PS4 slim versions of these game bundles will do very well at 249 with them going to 199 around Black Friday.

The $449 for the D2 PS4 Pro bundle during September is not bad and allows the early adopters to grab based on want and hype. Still a few months before the holidays and pricing changes/deals are bound to go into effect. $399 for a Pro bundle and an additional free game should move units.

kyser73

What's the total cost of a Pro, D2 & the season pass stuff?

I'm guessing for the audience it's aimed at it isn't that unattractive.

bombshell

What's the total cost of a Pro, D2 & the season pass stuff?

I'm guessing for the audience it's aimed at it isn't that unattractive.

It's the deluxe edition of Destiny 2, which is an extry $10 on top of the base game + expansion pass.

So MSRP value of the bundle is $399.99 + $99.99 for $449.99.

ethomaz

Banned
The $449 for the D2 PS4 Pro bundle during September is not bad and allpw sthe early adopters to grab based on want and hype. Still a few months before the holidays and pricing changes/deals ar bound to go into effect. $399 for a Pro bundle and an additional free game should move units.
The bundle costs $499 if bought separated.

It is a $50 save plus White.

Shin

Banned

Destiny 2 bundle.
CoD bundle.
Battlefront bundle.

Crash/Ratchet bundle bundle as well, since it exists already.
Those bundles should be released everywhere, not sure why a and/or situation even if a particular game sells better in a region.

I don't think so. I think it will drop a little because I think it won't have a price drop. Next year however it should be the highest with Spider, GoW, price droping and hopefully TLOU2.
Won't be a price drop? Dis-agree, will be 199 slim the holidays, plus big bundles.

Destiny 2 bundle.
CoD bundle.
Battlefront bundle.

Probably a family bundle too.

Knack 2 + Ratchet & Clank bundle?

I feel like that's half the reason a Knack 2 even exists, to have it as bundled game.

ethomaz

Banned
In the US?
While it is hard I guess it has a chance... the software front is really strong and it is up yoy this first half in US.

WW I'm confident it will peak because GTS is a monster in EU.

Of course we are talking up to this year... I believe PS4 will peak in 2018 and PS5 will be announced at E3 2019 and November 2019 release.

PS. Unless 7nm is not mature enough.

That is what I believe... end of 2019 is the right time for new hardware... 2020 is the latest I can see due issues with 7nm.

2019 is not the right time for new hardware if in 2018 the old hardware is selling more units per year than ever before.

Think about it from the perspective of managing the business, not what you'd like to see as a customer.

Which part? And why, if I may ask.

It's one or the other. If you get new HW in 2019, it's because sales of the old box is in decline. If the old box is still performing better than it ever has before, the new HW is delayed a year or so to maximize return.

ethomaz

Banned
2019 is not the right time for new hardware if in 2018 the old hardware is selling more units per year than ever before.

Think about it from the perspective of managing the business, not what you'd like to see as a customer.
The actual hardware is already showing it weakess... 2019/2020 is indeed the best time for a new generation with new CPU, GPU, etc without holding back old hardware.

That is thinking in the business perspective... PS5 in late 2019 will be a huge win for Sony.

Now about the peak I believe the software front of next year plus a price cut will make PS4 peaked.

It's one or the other. If you get new HW in 2019, it's because sales of the old box is in decline. If the old box is still performing better than it ever has before, the new HW is delayed a year or so to maximize return.
Well you get a new hardware when the tech allow it... 2019/2020 fits perfectally a new generation by 7nm.

PS5 in late 2019 will be a huge win for Sony.

You're making a big assumption in what defines "win" for Sony.

Well you get a new hardware when the tech allow it... 2019/2020 fits perfectally a new generation by 7nm.

No. New HW is only feasible when the tech allows it... new HW only comes to market when it is determined that the timing of the release allows whatever business goals are in place to be best achieved.

360 in 2005 was a huge win for MS... it is the same case.

Wow, it is not the same case at all given sales velocities, business goals and market trajectories at the time.

Zedark

The actual hardware is already showing it weakess... 2019/2020 is indeed the best time for a new generation with new CPU, GPU, etc without holding back old hardware.

That is thinking in the business perspective... PS5 in late 2019 will be a huge win for Sony.

Now about the peak I believe the software front of next year plus a price cut will make PS4 peaked.

But it could also be a potential pitfall, like XB1 was for MS when they were considered the "winner" of the gen and in prime position to become dominant. It makes sense to me that Sony will want to ride the success of PS4 as long as possible - even if that means delaying next gen for a year. They are the ones that dictate when a new gen starts, since Microsoft have backed away from generational restarts and Nintendo do their own thing, so they have every opportunity to delay next gen if PS4 is doing great numbers.

Top Bottom