• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 patch and DLC hitting tomorrow - improves loading and performance

OmegaDL50

I swear at this point they should just take the project away from Avalanche New York and let the main studio at Stockholm step in to fix it.

At least with Avalanche Stockholm already has distinction to release both Just Cause 2 and Mad Max with minimal issues.

I think it's better at this point to just hand the thing over to the main studio since they seem to have more experience with this sort of thing.

Zojirushi

I swear at this point they should just take the project away from Avalanche New York and let the main studio at Stockholm step in to fix it.

At least with Avalanche Stockholm already has distinction to release both Just Cause 2 and Mad Max with minimal issues.

I think it's better at this point to just hand the thing over to the main studio since they seem to have more experience with this sort of thing.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. You don't just look at thousands of lines of someone else's code and go yup, that's the issue right here!

I think I might trade it in tomorrow (PS4 version).

I have been giving Avalanche the benefit of the doubt, but with fuck up after fuck up, and it being mostly unplayable for me, I have had enough.

I might get it again one day on PC during a steam sale.

How would it run on PC? I have an i5 (3.4ghz), 16gig of RAM and a 670gtx

I have been giving Avalanche the benefit of the doubt, but with fuck up after fuck up, and it being mostly unplayable for me, I have had enough.

Assuming the patch that's gonna come this week actually does what it's supposed to (which is unlikely but still), 1080p/30 at High settings is what you can expect.

OmegaDL50

Well you have more ram then I do, but your video card is roughly the same in terms of capability. At least I believe the 670GTX is about the same performance level as a HD7950.

I'll also assume you have a i5 3570k. which identical to the processor I have.

So in terms of performance the game will run, but it it's unlikely you'll hit 60FPS unless you tone down a few settings.

Not even my PC can max out the game, and then there is the ridiculously long loading times to contend with.

To be perfectly honest, this game is rather a mess regardless what platform it's running on. Although the loading issue might be circumvented with a SSD, I am not even sure. As I don't even have one.

Kezen

Banned

Do not bother. 2gb is simply not enough for this game.
This is going to be an atrocious experience for you, beyond anything you can possibly imagine.

Do not bother. 2gb is simply not enough for this game.
This is going to be an atrocious experience for you, beyond anything you can possibly imagine.

There are people who already play with high settings with 2GB VRAM and it runs well for them. The VRAM isn't the issue here, it's the game and it's love of memory leaks. I myself have a 760 GTX(2GB) and run it with High settings with 1 or 2 settings turned off (motion blur and SSR, i believe?) and it runs pretty damn well, at least until the memory leak starts to come into play.

Hip Hop

There are people who already play with high settings with 2GB VRAM and it runs well for them. The VRAM isn't the issue here, it's the game and it's love of memory leaks. I myself have a 760 GTX(2GB) and run it with High settings with 1 or 2 settings turned off (motion blur and SSR, i believe?) and it runs pretty damn well, at least until the memory leak starts to come into play.

I have it pretty much maxed out and run it comfortably at 1080p (I have it locked at 30fps).

on a GTX 670 and i5 3570k.

Man, this is fucking embarassing. Games shouldn't even get released in this state, never mind remain on sale. What are they playing at?

Kezen

Banned

I was saying this because all the reports I've read point towards 2gb really being insufficient, even for the lowest texture setting. I have not ran into any memory leaks so that might only affect certain configurations.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The DLC/patch for the PC version is now live. 2.2GB download for those with the Season Pass.

Hope this patch improves things. The game is great fun to play but the big framerate dips, under 30fps are pretty distracting, turning the game into a juddering mess when the action really gets going.

Now my PC's not a beast like it once was (i5 2500k @ 4.5GHZ + 8GB RAM + GTX 760) but it's a little disappointing when I can run Mad Max at a pretty steady 50-60fps, on High Settings. It surprised me how well it ran actually, they optimized the game very well. So after Mad Max, I hoped Just Cause would have run similar to that.

The DLC/patch for the PC version is now live. 2.2GB download for those with the Season Pass.

I don't remember the last time I actually feared a patch.

Although the slight delay for the PC version must mean they did it right. Maybe. I don't have time to test but I (kind of) look forward to reading people's results.

Arttemis

I'm uploading a 15 minute YouTube clip of uncut PS4 gameplay that involves liberating a base and a coastal town, with a short loading screen between.

I'm not getting any dips in performance from the new patch, and it actually makes combat situations smoother.

Will post when it's up on YouTube.

I'm uploading a 15 minute YouTube clip of uncut PS4 gameplay that involves liberating a base and a coastal town, with a short loading screen between.

I'm not getting any dips in performance from the new patch, and it actually makes combat situations smoother.

Wut? My experience with the new patch is awful, how can this be?

@other PS4 users: how's your experience like with the new patch installed?

Mad Max is a relatively simple game with a mostly barren world.

Anyway, I just played for about an hour on PC and I didn't really notice any improvements performance wise, might even be less stable than before for me with it regularly dropping a couple frames even after I lowered the frame rate from 72 to 60 it still wouldn't stay locked. I did turn GI back on for a bit and didn't notice and flickering so I guess there's that. I was reminded other reasons I lost interest in playing though. Should've copied down my settings but, eh...

2500k at 4.5Ghz, 970 at 1417Mhz, 16GB RAM and running it off an SSD.

Kezen

Banned
Mad Max is a relatively simple game with a mostly barren world.

Anyway, I just played for about an hour on PC and I didn't really notice any improvements performance wise, might even be less stable than before for me with it regularly dropping a couple frames even after I lowered the frame rate from 72 to 60 it still wouldn't stay locked. I did turn GI back on for a bit and didn't notice and flickering so I guess there's that. I was reminded other reasons I lost interest in playing though. Should've copied down my settings but, eh...

2500k at 4.5Ghz, 970 at 1417Mhz, 16GB RAM and running it off an SSD.

Flickering is definitely there, it might be less flagrant but the effect is still not stable.

abracadaver

Played about an hour in the new DLC (which I really like)

Performance seems to be the same, loading times might be a bit shorter

Arttemis

Wut? My experience with the new patch is awful, how can this be?

@other PS4 users: how's your experience like with the new patch installed?
Not sure. I installed a 2TB Seagate HDD half a year ago, but that should only affect loading times.

My experience with this patch is 98% no change, 2% improvement in frame rate involving the nuke rocket launcher.

Arttemis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_c9v7ekVtk

It's been a while since I last played and I'd forgotten the controls, so please forgive my spastic gameplay in the first couple minutes...

But I don't have any problems with framerate except minor dips for a couple seconds after nuking heavily populated areas.

low-G

Yeah, the PC performance is definitely significantly worse, but only in some places. Always when on the ground or in the water. It really only seems to be in a few spots, but I'm seeing drops to around 20 or 30fps, whereas I only dropped below 60fps during large explosions previously.

Horrible patch, they need to roll back and dump the people working on this one.

madjoki

Works better for me, framerate may be little worse, but stuttering seems to be entirely gone. (GTX 970 + i7 6core + 16GB)

Purkake4

Banned
Re-installed it, certainly not better, possibly feels worse (on a GTX 960). Uninstalled.

Good thing I have uncapped internet.

Chris R

641.7mb for those without :|

That's a sizeable patch... maybe my issue will be fixed after all.

When my game crashes with the same old Hung GPU Error 38 after 20 minutes I'm going to uninstall the game, reinstall Just Cause 2 and pretend this whole thing never happened :(

edit: Only played a bit, but no crash to desktop so far...

Top Bottom