• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 patch and DLC hitting tomorrow - improves loading and performance

Arttemis

Hmm. I played the PS4 version for about 10 minutes a few days ago and didn't see any change, for better or worse, with the latest patch. I have been working double shifts this weekend, though, so haven't been able to explore the changes to loading and performance further.

OmegaDL50

Nope, this IS the A team. Utilizing a last gen proprietary engine that runs like crap on new consoles.

Avalanche Stockholm is the team that did Just Cause 1, 2, and Mad Max.

Avalanche New York is apparently the new branch that opened in 2014 handled JC3's development, instead of the main studio in Stockholm.

Arttemis

Is anyone else able to corroborate that video's performance issue? I played around near a military air field and didn't get anything like that. I won't be home until 10 tonight, if I'm even awake enough, to attempt to duplicate the video.

geomon

Alright so I just got done playing this with the new patch. Keep in mind I only played for about 5 minutes. Also I have a disc copy on PS4, just in case that matters.

It's definitely worse. I could tell right away from the moment the logging in screen appeared. Took longer to log in and load up, almost back to the day one load times (which were abominable).

So I get in the game and I don't notice any performance problems yet (other than the aforementioned loading). Moving around, spinning the camera, don't notice any lag or anything. So I decide to use the wingsuit. Almost immediately, I notice frame drops. Really obvious frame drops. Keep in mind, I'm not one that usually notices that kind of thing unless it's egregious.

After that, I thought 'well that sucks, let me try combat'. So I pick a small outpost to re-oppress, thinking that the performance of the game due to the explosions and what not will just be utter garbage. Combat starts, not a single noticeable frame drop. No input lag, nothing and I'm setting off those huge tankers and trying to get as many explosions as possible.

So now I don't know what the hell to think. I'm sure if I play it more I'll find more things wrong with it but for right now, I can't honestly say it's broken but it's not enjoyable either.

danowat

Banned
Is anyone else able to corroborate that video's performance issue? I played around near a military air field and didn't get anything like that. I won't be home until 10 tonight, if I'm even awake enough, to attempt to duplicate the video.
It's more the loading times and lack of saving that's causing me grief.
It can take over 5mins to load and then I have to wait another 5mins for the weapons and grapple to load and then another 5mins to exit the game.

I start to wonder sometimes if games like this might benefit from a 900p render target instead of the full 1080p on PS4. I understand that the frame drops usually result from specific, performance-demanding effects, but having the render overhead reduced some is bound to help, right..?

Feels to me like 1080p outside of last-gen remasters is pretty spotty this gen. PS4 can hit it more often than the XB1, but there are times where I feel like the potential performance gain from just going 900p right away would've been far more beneficial to the play experience in some areas of games than trying to wow everyone with the 1080p render, mostly because I don't think most console gamers seem to mind the 900p rendering, as long as the engine supports decent AA solutions, post-FX, and gamma correction to reduce some of the IQ issues that come from that resolution -- and those solutions don't seem that hard to integrate for most games.

I feel like I say this coming from having had a capable gaming PC alongside my consoles, too. I'm guilty of double-dipping for the PC version of the PC version is reported to be well optimized for the PC platform, and while the wow factor of well-handled PC versions of games isn't quite as high as it was compared to last-gen, it's still surprising to me just how outclassed these current gen consoles are from a graphics standpoint.

I also admit that my actual understanding of game engines and display technology isn't super-savvy. I know a decent amount of strategies to optimize my settings in PC games, and a general sense of how hard certain settings can impact performance, but I still come away from my own limited knowledge with a strong understanding that the current-gen consoles are going to likely struggle to hit and maintain a 1080p render target with high-end effects enabled in most releases these days... And if I were running a similar experience on PC, with similar specs, I'd personally target a lower-than-1080p render to help with performance. Makes me wonder if Sony has some sort of 1080p-target-licensing deal with developers to push the idea that the PS4 is the most capable machine... But the amount of time that it fails to hold up outside of last-gen remasters kind of makes me prefer that they go for 900p, especially now that I currently don't have a gaming PC and *have to* play on console.

Is there any way to lock the frame rate at 60fps? I turn on V-sync and its locked at thirty, but if i turn it off i'm above 60fps with terrible screen tearing...

OmegaDL50

Is there any way to lock the frame rate at 60fps? I turn on V-sync and its locked at thirty, but if i turn it off i'm above 60fps with terrible screen tearing...

Isn't V-Sync supposed to only cap the framerate so it doesn't go beyond your Monitor's max refresh rate.

That sounds odd.

Installed the update, waited three minutes from boot to main screen, turned it off and put it away. Whatever keeps you getting paid, Avalanche.

timmyp53

Installed the update, waited three minutes from boot to main screen, turned it off and put it away. Whatever keeps you getting paid, Avalanche.

This doesn't bode well since they are rumored to be doing the PS4 version of Rise of Tomb Raider .

JGapIrP.gif

low-G

Wow, hope the PC patch also doesn't ruin this game... Turning off auto-updates I think...

(oh yeah I'd have to be in offline mode all the time... ugh)

I bought it digital on Xbox, and it's a clusterfuck.

Infuriating that performance actually got worse. I'm tempted to request a refund.

Nizz

This doesn't bode well since they are rumored to be doing the PS4 version of Rise of Tomb Raider .

JGapIrP.gif
Woah woah woah, where did you hear about this? I thought Nixxes would handle the PS4 port of Tomb Raider? If this is true then fuck that I don't want anything to do with that port then. Holy fuck and I was excited to play Tomb Raider, and I wanted to get JC3 but with the impressions on performance I can't in good faith drop my hard earned money on it.

vypek

Woah woah woah, where did you hear about this? I thought Nixxes would handle the PS4 port of Tomb Raider? If this is true then fuck that I don't want anything to do with that port then. Holy fuck and I was excited to play Tomb Raider, and I wanted to get JC3 but with the impressions on performance I can't in good faith drop my hard earned money on it.

Being discussed in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1194321

lcap

Man, this is starting to get really sad. It's like The Witcher 3 on the PS4 that we were always waiting for the next patch to arrive and fix those issues e get constantly disappointed. At least it got fixed down the line. Really hoping for this one.

OmegaDL50

Before people overreact about the PS4 Rise of the Tomb Raider port rumor, just remember that there is two studios for Avalanche. The main studio in Stockholm Sweden that developed Just Cause 1 and 2, as well as Mad Max.

It's the New York studio that recently opened back in 2014 that did Just Cause 3, is the studio to be concerned about.

And since the New York branch of Avalanche is currently trying to fix JC3 and release Season Pass content, it's likely that the main studio in Sweden could possibly handle the port.

As far as I know, after finishing Mad Max, that left Avalanche Studios Sweden to work on something else.

SJRB

Gold Member
Someone should edit this thread's title, or we have to start a new one to address these issues. Because this is hot garbage.

Thats really disappointing to see about ps4.

The game is working fine on PC, even with my old 670 it could keep 30fps.

On my new 970 it's a great performer. Over 60fps max settings.

Gamerman1

Is anyone actually uninstalling the game on PS4 then installing fresh and applying the patch then playing for an hour or more? Just seems all the posts are people updating their past versions and trying it out for 15 minutes in disgust lol.

geomon

Is anyone actually uninstalling the game on PS4 then installing fresh and applying the patch then playing for an hour or more? Just seems all the posts are people updating their past versions and trying it out for 15 minutes in disgust lol.
I guess I could give it a shot. Not sure why that would work though.

I can confirm that the PS4 version is atrocious now. What the fuck am I supposed to do? I'm halfway through the game and it became practically unplayable. Is there any news on the situation?

danowat

Banned
I can confirm that the PS4 version is atrocious now. What the fuck am I supposed to do? I'm halfway through the game and it became practically unplayable. Is there any news on the situation?
Crossing and fingers and hope it was an error in the patch and they are working hard to correct it?

Or delete the damn thing and never buy an avalanche product again!

Corpekata

Banned

Why is that lol worthy?

Of course that's what it seems like what most people are doing. That's the way patching games generally works.

AugustBlade

Neo Member
Am I the only PS4 collector's edition owner that feels absolutely let down to the extreme regarding this game and it's performance? I was so in love with JC2, even with it's flaws, that I blindly put my faith in a developer/publisher by purchasing the collector's edition only to get slapped in the face.

That is the last time I do that.

kyser73

I'm assuming you can't roll a patch back on the PS4?

Haven't gone back into it yet, and that looks like a big steaming pile of shit.

Wow this sounds like such a clusterfuck. A major game by a major publisher and it runs like this still. How come they haven't been sued yet?

Top Bottom