• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 patch and DLC hitting tomorrow - improves loading and performance

There's something about the game missing from JC2 that makes it a bit less fun but I can't put my finger on what it is. It obviously looks better and the wingsuit is awesome but yeah..

Blizzje

To be honest, this sounds like its a patch just for PC and they haven't fixed any performance issues or have done any optimisations.

There's something about the game missing from JC2 that makes it a bit less fun but I can't put my finger on what it is. It obviously looks better and the wingsuit is awesome but yeah..

I get this feeling too. I actually think jc2 On pc and ps3 lol looked better in a lot of ways then jc3...it's probably due to the different enviroments like desert jungle cities that jc2 had....although I haven't explored jc3 fully yet, all I've seen is the same old landscape all over...bored of it already. Haven't spotted any beautiful coral in the sea yet either. Also miffed about the green and red lights you got on Sea and air vehicles in jc2..you can hardly see them in jc3 and it seems like some vehicles don't have them at all(I love little things like that)....jc2 had a cleaner look to me. I might just fore up jc2 on ps3 to see what it looks like now

Playing through the game right now, I'm very curious to see a Digital Foundry analysis on the framerate for the console version. Sometimes it all goes to shit on PS4, as low as 5-10 frames.... Lasts about 10-20 seconds, but it's annoying as fuck.

Vazduh

I'd love to play this, but sadly my PC has only 8 GB RAM
(and since it's a G41 chipset, I can't add more than that)
so I wonder whether I'll ever be able to play it with this computer (at least in 900p resolution). Hopefully Avalanche patches the game well.

(Q9450 - 2.66 GHz, 8GB DDR3, GTX 750Ti GS 2 GB)

Just played with the patch on PS4 and the performance seems WORSE. Constant stuttering and drops, plus the shadows across the frame were moving at something like three times the normal speed of the day cycle so there is this constant flicker when standing still. Uninstalled, and the first game I've been so annoyed with to do so.

Jonbo298

Hopefully they asked Avalanche Studios Sweden (JC2, Mad Max) to optimize it better since I'm not sure what the studio is currently doing with there not being any DLC for Mad Max. I felt bad refunding JC3 but the performance problems on PC were too much to blindly support Avalanche as a whole. New York branch of the company tainted my opinion.

MauroNL

Just played with the patch on PS4 and the performance seems WORSE. Constant stuttering and drops, plus the shadows across the frame were moving at something like three times the normal speed of the day cycle so there is this constant flicker when standing still. Uninstalled, and the first game I've been so annoyed with to do so.
We're of to a good start I see. Shame. Will test the Xbox One version tonight.

vypek

Hopefully they asked Avalanche Studios Sweden (JC2, Mad Max) to optimize it better since I'm not sure what the studio is currently doing with there not being any DLC for Mad Max. I felt bad refunding JC3 but the performance problems on PC were too much to blindly support Avalanche as a whole. New York branch of the company tainted my opinion.

Maybe Sweden is working on a new game? Would be nice if they did help the New York branch but I'm assuming that New York branch is working on this alone.

harrytang

I know it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, but I wish they would fix motorcycle handling. Goddamn atrocious. Still happy to see some patching and improvements. Still thinking about season pass...

I would really love to get back into it, but like Watch_Dogs before it (no shooting out of cars), one admission left the game feeling fundamentally poorly designed (lack of sprint.)

I meant I get trying to push people to get creative with the movement tools but leaving out sprint in a 2016 game is just embarrassing.
No, this post is embarrassing.

You don't need sprint in every game.

Damn. Was hoping to buy the game today.

Coolade

xDXVkAv.png

Arttemis

Turned it on, flew around, blew some stuff up. I definitely didn't notice any reduction in performance. Will report back tonight after more extensive destruction and more loads.

No fix for the utterly atrocious motorbike handling then?

I know it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, but I wish they would fix motorcycle handling. Goddamn atrocious. Still happy to see some patching and improvements. Still thinking about season pass...

This is my biggest complain, too. I really hope they fix motorcycle handling... it's broken.

ArjanN

You know that probably has way more to do with the budget/time the specific studio was given than their competency right?

SnowHawk

They've fixed the leaderboards (which was preventing me getting the platinum trophy) and I've finally got the platinum. It's a great game!

Bluforce

I can confirm PS4 performance are worse.

I never complain about frame rate in JC3, but now is unplayable!

WTF? How is this possible... HOLY SHIT!

eshwaaz

I can confirm PS4 performance are worse.

I never complain about frame rate in JC3, but now is unplayable!
That's hugely disappointing. I stopped playing about 2/3 through the the game to wait for a patch, but I guess I'll just uninstall it now. Shame, as I was still managing to have fun before getting to the third island.

Chris R

I HOPE this fixes my Hung GPU Error Code 38 that shows up every single time I try to play the game.

I know it won't though :(

Should have just got a refund in the first place, too late now. Guessing the game will run fine when I buy the 1070 or whatever later this year.

Chabbles

Almost impulsed bought this for PS4 yesterday after reading the patch notes, glad i didn't now.. guess its wait and see for next patch.

Jonbo298

You know that probably has way more to do with the budget/time the specific studio was given than their competency right?

Why not both? Allegedly JC3 began development in 2012 (if Wikipedia is accurate...). Competency and budget/time easily can go hand in hand. We've seen this many times with PC ports.

NeoRaider

How's performance on PC now? Is it the same like day 1 or they improved it. Is this performance patch coming to PC?

Sorry if these questions are already answered in the thread.

ArjanN

Why not both? Allegedly JC3 began development in 2012 (if Wikipedia is accurate...). Competency and budget/time easily can go hand in hand. We've seen this many times with PC ports.

My point was that it's pretty silly to directly compare the two studios like that given that they worked on two different projects with different budgets/timelines.

How's performance on PC now? Is it the same like day 1 or they improved it. Is this performance patch coming to PC?

Sorry if these questions are already answered in the thread.

PC patch is coming next week.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Oh, man... I traded this in after I got sick of its shit, but I feel bad now for those who were holding onto hope for this patch.

SilentRob

Just installed the patch on Xbox One (3GB) aaaaaand
tumblr_l9qoj2jEhY1qzzud0.gif

Didn't change a thing. Just as unplayable as before. I have no way to measure the framerate here, but it feels exactly like it did before. Maybe it's 22 instead of 19 fps now? I don't know.

This is fucking embarrassing.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm still gobsmacked that a multiplayer-only game was turned into a singleplayer-only game like this.

Poor Just Cause. What a shitty way to follow up on the magnificent JC2.

JC2 is one of my favorite games ever, didn't even bother with this.

At least Mad Max is cool.

Top Bottom