• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 screenshots Leaked [Update: New microtransaction hell screenshots]

Jonbo298

Their denial of this being a F2P game in light of these screenshots, only means that they've twisted their definition of F2P.

It doesn't, however, restore any of my faith in this game.

'Let's call this "Enhanced gameplay." You get to enjoy the entire game, but in chunks!'

Tregard

Soothsayer
Goddammit, after seeing these images it doesn't matter many improvements JC3 makes to the formula of JC2, with that microtransaction bollocks plopped on top of it, it makes it an impossible sell.

This leak has given the developers (and of course, what I really mean is the publishers) the chance to realise NOBODY wants this system, and they just want a better Just Cause game, with no "revolutionary" buying/renting system.

Will they see the light and make the change? Un-bloody-likely.

AngryMoth

Anyone that thinks micro transactions will become a standard in AAA games vastly over estimates how much shit the audience is willing to put up with. Any publisher that pursues this business model with a beloved franchise is gonna face the same kind of backlash Microsoft had last year with drm.

I enjoyed parts of Just Cause 1, and loved JC2 until I had to grind for chaos to unlock the latter missions. If it wasn't for that design idea -- to only have 7 story missions and require tons of chaos to unlock them -- it would've been a better game.

I'd love a third one, without that mechanic.

VexyWexy

But from what I remember DS3 never really gimped the ingame economy in order to push users toward micotransactions. That's what I think of when I think of mobile-style microtransactions. Like we saw in Dungeon Keeper.

Yeah, in Dead Space 3 it was basically just "pay to cheat a bit"

The game plays perfectly without ever touching the microtransactions, and I don't recall it ever trying to entice me to use them.

Shredderi

a3CigKk.png

According to Square Enix's sales reports ending March 31, 2010, Just Cause 2 has sold over 1,480,000 units worldwide.[28] On September 10, 2013, Christofer Sundberg, the Founder and Chief Creative Officer at Avalanche Studios, revealed via Twitter that Just Cause 2 has sold approximately 6,000,000 units to date, and has a user base of 500,000 active monthly players

That's from Just Cause 2 Wikipedia page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Cause_2
He sounds like Just Cause 2 bombed majorly and is now bitter. The game seems to have sold really well so what the fuck? The game sold well so the last thing they'd want to do is to try to repeat what they did before? This game was one of those I've been drooling for just thinking how it would look on next gen and how fun it would be so it suffices to say that these leaks don't exactly fill me with joy. My last bit of hope is that these are all ancient screenshots of the game and doesn't represent the final direction.

But from what I remember DS3 never really gimped the ingame economy in order to push users toward micotransactions. That's what I think of when I think of mobile-style microtransactions. Like we saw in Dungeon Keeper.

Oh then apart from that and Plants vs Zombies 2 (before it got patched) I don't think there is any full fledged console game that attempted it before, but if they are trying to go and pull it on this franchise LOL

i'll never look at $7 the same way again
It will be the new way of saying "Fuck you pay me"

allftw

Neo Member
I enjoyed parts of Just Cause 1, and loved JC2 until I had to grind for chaos to unlock the latter missions. If it wasn't for that design idea -- to only have 7 story missions and require tons of chaos to unlock them -- it would've been a better game.

I'd love a third one, without that mechanic.

Good thing you'll apparently be able to pay for that instead with the third game.

Their denial of this being a F2P game in light of these screenshots, only means that they've twisted their definition of F2P.

It doesn't, however, restore any of my faith in this game.

It's very simple. The F stands for "Free". If the game isn't free, then it's not F2P.

I guess it's B2P. Which may mean "Buy to PAY", not "Buy to Play".

Man, this totally ruined my mood. Goddamnit square enix, I'm sure just cause is a good enough franchise to sell enough without any microtransactions. Or at least have ones that sell purely cosmetic things. I mean there's always cheat engine but then I'll just give myself infinite diamonds and ruin the game's progression. Sigh.

Auctopus

Ew. Ironic how the game's themes are so against this sort of economic behaviour.

I know it's alpha/beta stages but those visuals do not look too hot either.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
How to destroy awesome franchise:

Just ask Square Enix.

after Triad Wars and now this(well also TR exclusivity mess). my guess is next SE victim might be Deus Ex. SE western side and publishing side is just pure sadness right now.

You guys can all relax.

shinobi602 has pretty much told us that Just Cause 3 isn`t going to be a F2P game, and Christofer Sundberg made a new tweet today.

chris.png

Oh, it's probably not a Free 2 Play game. Just a Pay to Play game filled to the brim with bullshit microtransactions because fuck you.

Anyway, Square can suck my dick, this is not how you cultivate a following for your franchise you stupid motherfuckers.

This seems appropriate:

S8k0fCe.gif

Oh, it's probably not a Free 2 Play game. Just a Pay to Play game filled to the brim with bullshit microtransactions because fuck you.

Anyway, Square can suck my dick, this is not how you cultivate a following for your franchise you stupid motherfuckers.

The sad thing is, they're just doing what everybody else is doing. This is all part of the dark, downwards spiral that greedy, unregulated, profits-over-people capitalism is dragging us into. It just happens to have reached the videogame industry. Industries now feel justified in destroying their own products and spitting in the faces of their customers just to be able to squeeze out money in every step of the process. Pre-order bullshit cut from the game, collector edition exclusive content, day 1 dlc, day 1 season passes, microtransactions, on-disc dlc, it doesn't matter, it's all downhill from here.

The AAA market is going to seriously cross the line of what is viable and sustainable and the whole thing is going to collapse in on itself at some point, it just has to. I can't imagine them being able to continuously trick the masses into spending more for less.

pestul

Depressing. Just as depressing as King's profit dropping to only about $170M for the quarter.. this is the shit we will have to put up with.

This has to win some kind of Guinness world record. This has destroyed virtually everyone's excitement at a stroke and it hasn't even been announced yet. A few screens and a quick link back to SE's previous financial reports immediately sink the Just Cause 2 franchise. That on top of the reaction elicited by the Triad Wars Twitter chatter before United Front even announced the game, and the Rise of the Tomb Raider stuff.

In a span of a couple of years, Square-Enix's western side has turned from hero to this horrific black, amorphous mass of horror, while their otherwise godawful Japanese side has at least warranted a good pat in the back and some reasons to be genuinely excited for their upcoming stuff.

E92 M3

Anyone that thinks micro transactions will become a standard in AAA games vastly over estimates how much shit the audience is willing to put up with. Any publisher that pursues this business model with a beloved franchise is gonna face the same kind of backlash Microsoft had last year with drm.

MS also had a lot of backlash for how Forza 5 was handled. They ended up fixing most of it, but it did tarnish Turn10's reputation a bit.

Rich!

Just Cause 2 was my favourite surprise of the last generation.

Just Cause 3 is so far my biggest disappointment of this generation.

Good thing that JC2 is infinitely replayable. Wont be spending a penny on anything that promotes this crap. As far as I'm concerned, there is no JC3.

I am really mad about this. Sigh.

Burt

I guess it makes sense when the majority of people who own your game got it for $3 during a Steam sale.

The crying and forecasts of doom in this thread are hilarious. Biggest upset of the generation this far before release? Okay.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I refuse to believe those menus are representative of the final game. The devs are just joking around right? Right?

Also, can you imagine the next Deus Ex?

What, you want to actually examine the environment and find ammo/small stashes of weapons/tools? Maybe some sidequests and exploration to get Praxis points and extra EXP? Well you could, but we've deliberately discouraged that as much as possible because we would REALLY love you to open the store and teleport some weapons and ammo into your hands at an instant using only the power of your credit card. You know, just like what Deus Ex is about!

Shinobi instills me with some hope that it won't happen - that it may be an unmolested true sequel (please), but I still can't be complacent. There's ample time for them to do something like this to it if God forbid, "paymium" is construed by major publishers as successful.

Pikma

Banned
BARF, this is completely disgusting, I am not getting it if they don't remove that shit, don't care if it's just "optional", I won't accept it.

Top Bottom