• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 screenshots Leaked [Update: New microtransaction hell screenshots]

SFenton

Would Deus Ex's target audience even be willing to shell out for MTs?

That audience doesn't strike me as one to just open their wallets.

RPGamer92

Banned
MEYKSXN.png
Jon-Stewart-FY.gif
More like, Deus Ex: Microtransaction Revolution

Burt

I've been following the general flow of discussion here with an open mind, but if you think that these images were just randomly leaked without purpose, well... think again. Whoever was behind this leak likely had a variety of images to share with the world; they chose the ones they did for a reason.

Edit: beaten, I guess

I don't think he's implying it was the company's intention to leak these particular screens, but perhaps a disgruntled employee acting on his own who doesn't agree with the business model the game he is working on appears to be following.

Yep. I don't understand how this could be misconstrued whatsoever.

...that's exactly my point. These were most likely leaked by a disgruntled person, and if GAF threads are anything to go by (let alone common sense), disgruntled employees do all sorts of shit for all sorts of reasons. Just because Avalanche wasn't ready to show this stuff off doesn't mean that they have some sinister plan that they're holding off on until after you buy the game. Nothing that people are freaking out is even announced, let alone final. Like I said, no one even knows if this game is going to be F2P or not.

In my first post in this thread, I commented that the vast majority of people who own JC2 probably got it for like $3, because it's been on sale so many times over the last couple of years in that price range and has lived through excellent word of mouth. It didn't sell gangbusters at $60. It probably underperformed at that price range. So, who's to say that JC3 won't be F2P with the developers hoping to get a higher average spend per user, and every bit as "free" as highly-lauded F2Ps like LoL, Hearthstone, DOTA, and TF2? No one in here, not off a few screenshots that, by your own reasoning, were likely leaked by someone looking to damage the perception of the game.

But making sweeping proclamations over incomplete information is everyone's right, I guess. Doesn't mean I can't find it funny.

Thinking about it if the rumors are true and the Deus Ex sequel is a straight up, legit follow up without all these microtransactions I hope the gaming community throws their support behind it and it does fantastic. Show SE that we still want great, self contained, story driven experiences.

Joco

Is this game $60 with these micro transactions? It'd be bad enough if it was just F2P but if it's a full priced retail title, that's flat out laughable.

Mory Dunz

Diamonds are forever
They're all I need to please me
They can, stimulate and tease me
They won't leave in the night I've no fear that they might...

...desert me.

sry if joke has been made

WarMacheen

Not a fan of people losing their jobs, but If this game is what it looks to be, I hope it is DOA and crashes and burns so hard that people who had a hand in it go down with it.

and lets be honest here, $7 isn't micro.

...that's exactly my point. These were most likely leaked by a disgruntled person, and if GAF threads are anything to go by (let alone common sense), disgruntled employees do all sorts of shit for all sorts of reasons. Just because Avalanche wasn't ready to show this stuff off doesn't mean that they have some sinister plan that they're holding off on until after you buy the game. Nothing that people are freaking out is even announced, let alone final. Like I said, no one even knows if this game is going to be F2P or not.

In my first post in this thread, I commented that the vast majority of people who own JC2 probably got it for like $3, because it's been on sale so many times over the last couple of years in that price range and has lived through excellent word of mouth. It didn't sell gangbusters at $60. It probably underperformed at that price range. So, who's to say that JC3 won't be F2P with the developers hoping to get a higher average spend per user, and every bit as "free" as highly-lauded F2Ps like LoL, Hearthstone, DOTA, and TF2? No one in here, not off a few screenshots that, by your own reasoning, were likely leaked by someone looking to damage the perception of the game.

But making sweeping proclamations over incomplete information is everyone's right, I guess. Doesn't mean I can't find it funny.

Well, I can't say that it doesn't make sense from Avalanche's (or SE) perspective. I suppose the fact that many people are clearly vehemently opposed to this type of model shown in the leaked screenshots, myself included, hinders in approaching this issue from a more enencompassing standpoint. It's easy enough to ignore or berate a perspective that you disagree with, especially if it makes more sense to the side of the industry many of us aren't intimate with, so I'll continue to keep my eyes open here. That doesn't mean I support the decision, mind you, but it may seem rational to those behind the scenes.

Vibranium

Banned
Thinking about it if the rumors are true and the Deus Ex sequel is a straight up, legit follow up without all these microtransactions I hope the gaming community throws their support behind it and it does fantastic. Show SE that we still want great, self contained, story driven experiences.

Yeah, if shinobi is correct about the next Deus Ex being a true sequel (I hope that means no micro-transactions also) then us fans need to show our support and catch SE's eye.

I am very sad about this for JC, and I hope it backfires.

Juanfp

Why they have to put microstransactions. I remember that i bought just case 2 just because i like the cover art, I had never heard about the game when i do that and was the best impulsive decisions that I had made.

LOL. I'm glad I was never really into just cause but I feel for those that were. This really sucks. At least it'll most likely flop, so there's that.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
More like, Deus Ex: Microtransaction Revolution

it's most likely happening tho.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659601

JC was on that list and DE is also on it.

fucking Square plaguing even the western devs

their western side went downhill a long ago. what they did to Hitman series, TR reboot, Thief also picking awful to publish (Murdered Soul Suspect), Deus Ex: The Fall, Sleeping Dogs awful HD remasters, canceling Montreal hitman and turning the new studio into mobile/f2p. their western side is a mess.

Squeenix: 1 step forward, 10 back.

what was their "one step forward?" using UE4?

That will make 3 franchises i love from the one publisher ruined in a single generation. Unbelievable

- Sleeping Dogs
- Just Cause 3
- Deus Ex (i have no doubt they are pursuing this model as well)

Can probably add hitman to that list but i will just have to wait and see.

SerTapTap

New store pic is absolutely disgusting. Won't even download this crap for free. Refuse to add a number to their stats.
Couldnt it just be in-game money?

1) That merchant was the WORST part of JC2 as is
2) top new pick confirms Diamonds = money and some absurd F2P "wait" system

I don't even want this game enough to pay full price, let alone full price + microtransactions. It really seems like a recipe for failure. Do we know that this is full price for sure?

I mean maybe they'd get traction with a more popular franchise but this seems like a death sentence. Makes season passes look attractive (and they are already an abomination).

Ateron

How does that make him a cocky asshole?

Reminds me a lot of MS pre-180 on the whole DRM debacle. It's like it's the ultimate truth and anyone who disagrees is either dumb, naive or uninformed. These microtransaction systems might be in their plans, but as long as this shit persists, they won't see my money. It's that simple. And I loved JC2, but with them trying to pull this kind of shit, I'm out. It's not my fault devs can't project their games in a way that doesn't break the bank, hence making them resort to this kind of bs to stay profitable. JC2 seemed a B tier game and it did fine, what made them want to pursue this avenue of profit is beyond me. Most people I know hate these practices with a passion.

Be more modest with your budget and you won't have to nickel and dime your loyal fans to stay afloat.

Like I said, no one even knows if this game is going to be F2P or not. .
Well, there aren't any facts obviously, but our most accurate insider Shinobi has told us a long while ago (before this leak occurred) and now confirmed that the game is not F2P, but won't have a traditional ($60) release either. The recent tweets by Avalanche's CEO seem to support that.

Well, there aren't any facts obviously, but our most accurate insider Shinobi has told us a long while ago (before this leak occurred) and now confirmed that the game is not F2P, but won't have a traditional ($60) release either. The recent tweets by Avalanche's CEO seem to support that.
Interesting. I don't know if anything but F2P will work though, I think games media and gamers alike are going to eat this game alive with bad word of mouth. Reaction will be very interesting to watch, and will be watched by companies other than Square.

I hate feeling this way, but my initial reaction is to hope the game does very poorly.

Gamezone

Gold Member
If they are as creative as Ubisoft, they will find good ways to intup microtransactions into Tomb Raider, Deus Ex and Mad Max as well. All being known for their good single player campaigns.

B.O.O.M

lmfao those new screens...come on man

Only thing left is...pay $10 to unlock a new part of the island! Bet it's in the next screen release

megalowho

Man, look at all those fun freemium mechanics! It's got timers, expensive diamonds, it even lets me know what's popular. All the hot new game design techniques. Can't wait, thanks to the leaker for showing it off early!

Jac_Solar

No one in here, not off a few screenshots that, by your own reasoning, were likely leaked by someone looking to damage the perception of the game.

What makes you say that, if, as you say, they chose those screens in particular? If they chose to reveal the microtransactions screens in particular, they obviously wanted to damage the brand. If those screens are correct in any way, then that really, really sucks.

Microtransactions ruin 95% of the games they are in; the remaining 5% are single match based multiplayer games that are competitive based, and as such, are significantly smaller in scope than any single player game because they can only function with the round/match competition based gameplay.

While people may have played a multiplayer, competitive based game for hundreds of hours, that doesn't mean that it has a lot of exciting variety or content; the length completely relies on competition between players; people who want to beat the other player(s), and become more skilled to beat more.

New items or content means very little in these types of games compared to single player games; getting a new weapon or ability is nowhere near as exciting, as the only question is whether or not that item or content allows you to be a better player, and if not, it's essentially worthless. The only items and content that matter are the things that you take with you into each match, and it tends to be the same exact items for all the players or all the classes.

Not that you even would have time to appreciate the graphics beyond a second or two; after that, the only thing that matters is what makes you more efficient at defeating the other player(s).

Not to mention that they don't offer the same type of reward or satisfaction that single player games do; in competitive based games, the satisfaction, obviously, comes from asserting your dominance or that you are a good player, like in any real world sport.

Furyous

I don't mind this at all if the progression is the same as other games. Look at it from their perspective: later on after the title's out in the marketplace lots of customers purchase the game used possibly under $10. They need to make something from those customers, which I happen to be one of in case anyone accuses me of elitism, and this is the route to success.

If you don't like it then don't buy the game and wait for a Steam/PSN/XBL sale and intentionally screw up their sales projections. This is almost a non issue for me pending an official statement from the developer as well as more information on this title.

Is there a trailer available for this game? For all we know this idea was scrapped and this is old news.

scitek

I don't mind this at all if the progression is the same as other games. Look at it from their perspective: later on after the title's out in the marketplace lots of customers purchase the game used possibly under $10. They need to make something from those customers, which I happen to be one of in case anyone accuses me of elitism, and this is the route to success.

The problem is the game becomes designed around these transactions from the ground up, harming the game itself from a fundamental design standpoint. It's complete shit, and they have no right making more than the game is worth at any point in time (in case you haven't noticed, the price of DLC doesn't fall alongside the game).

Top Bottom