• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Bone overstays his welcome. Uses reddit handle which sh a trail of seedy comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda hard to ignore anything related to election at this point. Anyway, I hope people learn a good lesson from this.
Yeah, crazy people on the Internet will investigate every last thing you've ever posted looking for dirt so they can spin a narrative. Or that other crazies will immediately turn to hatred/disgust in response to those hit pieces without further investigation of their own as long as their political agendas are appeased.

This... This is stupid. CNN is also stupid. Only thing you can take from this that Ken Bone did wrong, is he didn't make a different user name. You get 15 minutes of course people are going to want to break you down and see you at your worse, especially when you only got that 15 from actually being the butt of a joke.

The Ken Bone Backlash

The Beard

How? because I don't engage in the fairly dangerous act of picking out strangers and circulating memes about them?

Because you're glad that a normal citizen, who was ironically praised as being the "winner" of the debate just because of his funny physical appearance, has been exposed.

In one comment he said he liked Bernie Sanders and thought he would kick Trump's ass in the election.

But after this media pile-on, he might flip to Trump just to watch the world burn with him.

Either way, nobody will remember him after the weekend is over, unless of course Trump brings him to the last debate and puts him in the front row next to Gennifer Flowers and Paula Jones and tries to make him into a "Liberal Media Martyr. SAD!" symbol.

The Beard

Does the media not understand that by doing this to an ordinary civilian, they are potentially putting him in a dangerous position?

I hope Ken has the type of personality that can just brush this shit off, and I hope this doesn't hurt his employment. This much "negative" attention could be really damaging for a lot of people.

CHC

Unbelievably limp attempt to bring this guy down a peg.

Mildly controversial comments, maybe, but based on the other comments from him posted above, he's a completely normal internet commentator. His mistake for using the same old ID after his newfound fame, but shame on the Reddit detectives here, really.

I knew this would happen and he'd be put on blast...
fiddy.gif

My favourite comment about this on GAF when this "story" broke is the person who wrote that they never got the love for ken bone because he "looked like a pedophile"

Just really great stuff there

I hope Ken has the type of personality that can just brush this shit off, and I hope this doesn't hurt his employment. This much "negative" attention could be really damaging for a lot of people.
It's going to be hard for him to find a new job. I can totally see that. It's not really fair.

Syder

Because you're glad that a normal citizen, who was ironically praised as being the "winner" of the debate just because of his funny physical appearance, has been exposed.
I worded my feelings wrong.
I'm glad there's an opportunity for people to realise that lauding people as 'living memes' is dangerous. Essentially what Night Angel said.
Yeah, crazy people on the Internet will investigate every last thing you've ever posted looking for dirt so they can spin a narrative. Or that other crazies will immediately turn to hatred/disgust in response to those hit pieces without further investigation of their own as long as their political agendas are appeased.
Ken Bone's probably a normal, law-abiding citizen that wouldn't hurt a fly but let's just see how nasty the internet can be after being ever so nice in the last few days.

Okay this actually really bothers me.

I actually looked through Ken Bone's Reddit history myself out of sheer morbid curiosity, and this is an incredibly unfair interpretation of "seedy comments." I would outright call this a character assassination attempt for no real purpose. It's pure controversy for attention. The vast majority of Ken Bone's reddit postings are thoughtful, nuanced opinions on all things from energy policy, to politics, to relationships, to video games. He's no different from pretty much any solid GAF poster.

Here's a few examples, just to set the record straight.

Replying to a topic called "My ex told me I was disgusting after rape"

Replying to a topic on the Stanford rape case:

Replying to a topic called "What is your policy of giving to homeless people"

Put down your damn pitchforks people.

Thanks for setting the record straight, I admit I jumped the gun when I saw the OP. He really does seem like a decent, thoughtful guy.

Trump: "Tremendous, what he said. I would have never come up with that - 'I saw her butthole; I liked it.' Just tremendous. I'm going to use that one in the future, believe me."

Bacon

Sounds like he could be a Trump surrogate.

I actually looked through Ken Bone's Reddit history myself out of sheer morbid curiosity, and this is an incredibly unfair interpretation of "seedy comments." I would outright call this a character assassination attempt for no real purpose. It's pure controversy for attention. The vast majority of Ken Bone's reddit postings are thoughtful, nuanced opinions on all things from energy policy, to politics, to relationships, to video games. He's no different from pretty much any solid GAF poster.

does he?

Mudcrab

Ken Bone exposed as human being. Overstays welcome on Reddit and GAF.

BiggNife

So why did this guy blow up so much at the debate?

Because his last name is Bone and he wore a goofy sweater

That is literally it

Trying to turn this dude into a meme bothered me from the get go because I think laughing at a guy for looking goofy and having a funny name is kind of shitty to begin with, and I really think that people should stop giving him attention.

e: Edited this post because, admittedly, my original post was too harsh. I don't agree with some of the stuff he said but it's becoming more clear now that it was cherry-picked.

ZOONAMI

That is literally it

Trying to turn this dude into a meme bothered me from the get go because I think laughing at a guy for looking goofy and having a funny name is kind of shitty to begin with, and the fact that he actually is kind of shitty proves that people should stop giving him attention.

Well, also because his first name is Ken. Both Ken and Bone.

That is literally it

Trying to turn this dude into a meme bothered me from the get go because I think laughing at a guy for looking goofy and having a funny name is kind of shitty to begin with, and the fact that he actually is kind of shitty proves that people should stop giving him attention.

He's not shitty. At all. See the quotes I posted above.There's many more like it under his reddit history.

He seems to be a very decent person and some meanspirited people cherrypicked the few comments he made that could be deemed controversial and decided to run stories on it. It's gross.

Ouch....

Oh well, lesson learnt. If I ever become an Internet celebrity I'm going to burn my GAF account...

Lest people discover my deep dark secret

Fluvian

Banned
Oh wow, if he just hadn't added that last part. Some people might have said he was victim blaming a bit but it was so logical and reasonable that most people would have been like "fair enough" Oh well, this will probably extend his fifteen minutes by a few seconds, in a bad way.

manakel

In typical internet fashion - "I now perceive this average person to be of higher status than me; we must vilify and destroy him!" It's absolutely embarrassing.

At the very worst his comments were extremely mild, and to make it some news story that's essentially character assassination is pathetic.

Well goes to show you that any random creeper can get himself into an important national debate.

Not cool that people are personally attacking him though, especially when most of us have contributed at least some questionable content to the net at some point.

The Beard

That is literally it

He's not a shitty person at all.

Ooooh, he lied about having car insurance so he could get a pizza delivery job! My god! That's right up there with some of the worst white-collar crimes.

He likes to look at attractive naked women on occasion. Fucking monster!

He said what Zimmerman did was legal because of shitty laws, but he also thinks Zimmerman is an asshole. What is with this guy????? Is he fucking serious?

Surfinn

Ken Bone lost me from the moment he remained undecided. The rest is just extra.

Like how can you not know, even BEFORE the 2005 video?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I respect someone who occasionally says mildly controversial things more then people who just parrot their peer's most popular opinions at the time. Besides, I don't even know if I would call anything he said controversial.

Yep this is why you never give away your online identity. People will go through your post history and it will fine back to haunt you. He should have just made a new account!

Pulka

So what do we do now? Make sure he is fired, kick him off twitter, have him killed? Something must be done, this is a dangerous man.

his controversial statements are very south park, if that makes any sense. he isn't saying anything reprehensible but when you examine it he doesn't come off that great. which sorta fits in with him being undecided.

he's obviously right calling out Zimmerman as a piece of shit but I don't know how you can look at the facts surrounding that shooting and conclude it was self defense. by trying to be reasonable and fair to both sides he comes to an unreasonable conclusion.

I feel really bad for the guy. The internet turned him into a meme within hours, then destroyed its own creation. It's unfortunate he didn't use a different handle for that AMA.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I love how in this thread are victim blaming, the hypocrisy is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom