• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead 'can fuck off into space' - Matt Lees talks about "Gigolo mode"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been following this game since Suda's games usually have bad gameplay but this game actually looks like it has some great combat. I might pick it up.

is this what GAF has come to

just furiously insulting game creators (and one who at least tries to make unique games)

Oh please, what unique game?!

All his games are somehow Hentai!

Tries to make unique games? I dont think so!

If he had total creative control over this game, I bet you we would have an entirely different product.

Look at what Shadows of the Damned was conceptualized as before EA stepped in.

So you wanna tell me that if he had total creative control no pervy content will be in his game?

I dont think so....

Hrm. I feel like I am of the complete opposite opinion regarding Suda when compared to the vast majority of GAFfers in this thread or others I've read about him/his games.

I actually quite liked Lollipop Chainsaw and Shadows of the Damned. I thought both were very entertaining, if the gameplay was not particularly stand out or original. I enjoy his whacky/zany stuff for the most part, save when it interferes with gameplay (big boner level, looking at you). I take my tastes all over the board, so I can play Shadowrun Returns, Journey and Lollipop Chainsaw all in the same day (that'd be yesterday. Tried to beat an old score on one of the levels to get a last costume).

Regarding the outrage regarding the mode in his new game, it's not really my place to say whether or not it's sexist or detrimental in general to our culture or gaming in general. It is not an area I am particularly familiar with or think I have much right/knowledge to speak on. I can only know my own tastes. It seems amusing to me and I'm fine with it's existence but if other people aren't than that's cool, I suppose. I'll play it and they won't and I hope they can forgive me for letting others more qualified and offended tackle a topic that is not something that is very important for me. I'm not saying it's not an important fight or whatnot, just that I'm not the man who's going to be leading the charge.

Still buying this game. I like Suda, quite a lot.

Astarte

So you wanna tell me that if he had total creative control no pervy content will be in his game?

I dont think so....

You're seriously killing me

I dont think so....

The only reason pervy content is there is to sell more copies. Most of his past games, Silver cases, Killer 7, etc.. avoids the typical fanservice, he's clearly a creator not devoted to that, unlike many others.

Just think that Lollypop Chainsaw is one of his best selling games (if not the best selling game) of his company. Sex sells, that's the sad truth.

Persona86

Banned

I dont think so....
So violent games such as "The last of us" that has you control a child killer is fine. But if any game attempts to be a bit pervy...oh nooo! That's not right!

I can never understand such logic

codhand

I dont think so....

All your posts are hentai.

Just think that Lollypop Chainsaw is one of his best selling games (if not the best selling game) of his company. Sex sells, that's the sad truth.

It's his best selling game and also from a mechanics point of view is also probably his best playing game so far. Although it's already been said that KiD plays much better than any of his previous games.

The only reason pervy content is there is to sell more copies. Most of his past games, Silver cases, Killer 7, etc.. avoids the typical fanservice, he's clearly a creator not devoted to that, unlike many others.

You said it "the sad truth" Which means involving sex content in every game just to sell shows how much of a cheap developer he became.

So violent games such as "The last of us" that had you control a child killer is fine. But if any game attempts to be a but pervy...oh nooo! That's not right!

I can never understand such logic

Huh? What has this to do to what we are discussing?

TLoU is built on survival, so there isnt any harm in a child fighting to survive too!

You either understand what we are talking about and join the discussion or dont jump in a discussion you didnt understand

All your posts are hentai.

Okay.

Astarte

He didn't become "a cheap developer". He stopped directing after NMH1, little input to do with the rest of the games. I'd imagine that LC was made with money in mind by Grasshopper Manufacture. The games that he'd WANTED to make were too obscure (shadows of the damned being fucked into the ground). Shit, the reason why there are even gigolo missions in this game might be accredited to the creative director of this game, not the executive director.

You said it "the sad truth" Which means involving sex content in every game just to sell shows how much of a cheap developer he became.

Still the fanservice is totally optional. If you mean that there's actually sexual content, plenty of games have sexual content (and movies too) and is not a bad thing. Still labeling a game "hentai" for something way less sexual than a chapter of Game of Thrones is ridiculous.

Is it okay to have "pervy" games or is it merely that there are so many of them, specifically towards men and specifically to sell more copies, that gets everyone offended or annoyed?

Because I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with that if it was a couple games here or there.

I dont think so....

NYAAAAH!
I imagine you making that sound everytime you post, lol.

Persona86

Banned
Huh? What has this to do to what we are discussing?

TLoU is built on survival, so there isnt any harm in a child fighting to survive too!

You either understand what we are talking about and join the discussion or dont jump in a discussion you didnt understand
Lol Wtf? I can assure you that the video in the op is focused on this game's perversions. I am on topic. Your arrogance stinks.

BadAss2961

Suda's schtick is getting old. All of his games that I've played are terrible, and his perverted humor isn't even funny in an ironic sense.

I never played Killer 7 or No More Heroes so don't slander me based on those games.
lol at saying Suda is terrible when you haven't even played his two best and most popular games.

Revven

I really can't say much in this thread other than shake my head at the people who agree with what Matt Lees said. Especially after what Haatsu posted.

Still the fanservice is totally optional. If you mean that there's actually sexual content, plenty of games have sexual content (and movies too) and is not a bad thing. Still labeling a game "hentai" for something way less sexual than a chapter of Game of Thrones is ridiculous.

Its not that what I meant. All what I meant is he stopped being creative and all his games now must be pervy cause he no more can be creative.

NYAAAAH!
I imagine you making that sound everytime you post, lol.

Hahaha no I dont make sounds xD

Wazzy

Banned
Get away....... Who are you the videogame police?
I...oh boy. Are you being serious?
Then create a reasonable dialogue about objectifying women. Reach out to creators. Ask gamers how they feel. Explain in honest terms why something may be offensive to some and offer alternatives.

That is not what is being done here. At the end of the day everything is offensive to someone. But the people who present their argument in reasonable terms are the ones worth listening to. The ones misrepresenting their points about a game and drowning the whole discussion with hyperbole arent.

You make it sound as if none of that is being done.

I'm not going to act like he didn't present some of his points in a very hostile tone but does that really change the fact he's right? Or rather, his points were right if everything that happened was true. Obviously that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've also seen plenty of people present their points here in a complete civil and understanding manner but instead were met with people dismissing them. It goes both ways.

Its not that what I meant. All what I meant is he stopped being creative and all his games now must be pervy cause he no more can be creative.

But only a part of his games are pervy, in this case is optional, at least the ones he actually wrote. A bigger problem is that everything he wrotes now falls more in the parody genre and the themes he touches dosn't have the same layers of deep and meaning.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Killer7 is a masterpiece, but let's be realistic, it was not even remotely popular on the level of NMH.

I feel like Killer7 has gotten a lot more popular in the years since NMH came out. I'm not saying it's on the same level, but it's... probably kinda close by now.

Astarte

How many times do I have to tell you
He didn't direct anything beyond NMH1 and, with a large time gap, Liberation Maiden. Now it's being director of killer is dead...with a creative director on the side.

So another guy is raising the gender inequality flag.

They keep doing this shit so much I've stopped caring and that's sad because one of these days a legitimate issue will be brought up and I wouldn't even notice.

Revven

So another guy is raising the gender inequality flag.

They keep doing this shit so much I've stopped caring and that's sad because one of these days a legitimate issue will be brought up and I wouldn't even notice.

It's seriously becoming "the boy who cried wolf" now.

I...oh boy. Are you being serious?

I'm not going to act like he didn't present some of his points in a very hostile tone but does that really change the fact he's right? Or rather, his points were right if everything that happened was true. Obviously that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've also seen plenty of people present their points here in a complete civil and understanding manner but instead were met with people dismissing them. It goes both ways.

Im sorry but im failing to understand what you are even arguing. If everything that happened was true? But its not. End of story.

Im not dealing in hypotheticals here. The Man misrepresented the game because he didnt like what he saw. He is both insulting the creators, people who are interested in the game and ironically enough, the very people he claims to represent by being disingenuous.

Its a growing trend amongst western gaming journalists and has a very anti-japanese slant. Its getting tiring to hear and thats why increasingly people are lumping hyperbloic outbursts like this in the same bag and dismissing them entirely, even when they do have merit.

remnant

Banned

WTF lol. That should end the thread right there but instead it sounds like you are glossing over it

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
GAF would be totally down with something this fucking creepy and say the dude speaking out against it is a dolt. GAF would. You dudes need to go outside some time.

stop-posting-cat-paw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom