• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killlzone Shadow Fall's SP runs at unlocked frame rate

Majanew

Banned
But dark is trying to explain to you that more frames is not necessarily smoother, lol. It's certainly objectively faster, but it isn't smoother. There's judder. Frames are on screen for uneven amounts of time!

Yep. And it's why I might seriously pass on KZSF. I cannot stand it. So hopefully some reviews will talk about if it happens often, so I'll know if I ever buy the game.

It has to be as a result of logical conclusion.

1) The most recent footage, as we've seen, does not feature tearing
2) If the framerate is unlocked and v-sync were disengaged we would be seeing tearing almost 100% of the time (basically any time it couldn't hold 60 fps). So all footage would be full of non-stop tearing.
3) Double buffering would result in 30 fps if it could not sustain 60 fps, so we know it's not using that

Triple buffering is literally THE only way to achieve framerates between 30 and 60 fps without constant screen tearing so they HAVE to be using it. There simply is no other option.

Ahh thanks for clearing that up

BigDug13

So am I to understand that with Triple Buffering, you can achieve smooth framerates with zero screen tearing while allowing the framerates to exceed 30fps? So a 40-50 FPS game can be rendered properly with no tearing due to Triple Buffering on a 60hz display?

Why isn't this implemented more often if this is true?

It really varies per area, to be honest. There were a number of areas where it averages closer to 60 and some others than fall more into the lower 40s. Ascension was quite a bit lower as well. Still, with the on-rails camera it never felt as jarring as it does in a game with a freely controllable camera.

You can argue all you want, but at the end of the day the developers will choose what's best for their games.

So am I to understand that with Triple Buffering, you can achieve smooth framerates with zero screen tearing while allowing the framerates to exceed 30fps? So a 40-50 FPS game can be rendered properly with no tearing due to Triple Buffering on a 60hz display?

Because you need an extra framebuffer that can hold the same amount of data from the other 2 buffers (i.e. it requires more video RAM) on top of being able to have the throughput to render to said buffer in time to be swapped into the front buffer. The current gen consoles were pushed enough as it is trying to render to 1 framebuffer.

Because games look like ass when the framerate is bouncing around between 30 and 60.

If the system can't keep up with the monitor, you get some frames staying on screen for 2 refresh cycles and some for 1. When this happens, the game looks like it's chugging.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For those who have an issue with judder, have you played GoWIII or Ascension? Both of those are in the 30-40 fps range and seemed quite smooth to me at all times.

Triple buffering requires a lot of VRAM which as you know was incredibly limited on current gen of consoles. That's why it was never used.

Thrakier

Yep. And it's why I might seriously pass on KZSF. I cannot stand it. So hopefully some reviews will talk about if it happens often, so I'll know if I ever buy the game.

Forget reviews and forget GAF hive mind when we are talking about framerate issues. Only a few persons around here are critical enough to give you realistic information about framerate issues. Think about TLOU.

Thrakier

Because it is not true.

You can argue all you want, but at the end of the day the developers will choose what's best for their games.

They will choose what they think they can sell better.

Screen-tearing = I will cancel my pre-order. This is no bullshit. Screen-tearing is unacceptable now, and it's doubleplusunacceptable next gen.

DirtyLarry

I may not have as in depth knowledge about graphics as other members do, however what I do have is faith.

Guerilla Games are near damn wizards with what they have been able to achieve visually not only on Shadows Fall but for their entire damn existence working on consoles, and most recently, handhelds.

As such, I have faith they would ultimately choose what makes for the better overall experience. It certainly sounds like it is the case that they could have chosen to lock the game at 30 FPS if they wanted to, but for whatever reasons they chose not to. I just cannot see how they would make a detrimental decision in regards to how the game looks visually.

Perhaps I am wrong, and a tear fest is incoming on launch day, I just give them more credit then that.

Screen-tearing = I will cancel my pre-order. This is no bullshit. Screen-tearing is unacceptable now, and it's doubleplusunacceptable next gen.
There is no screen tearing in this game. I acnt even remember the last Sony game that had screen tearing. Maybe wipeout on vita?

Can you tell which one is 30fps?

ilu3oMbBsXsT1.gif

the one on the right is 30, left doesn't look quite 60 more like 50.

DerZuhälter;87576940 said:

HUGE fucking difference from a mostly overhead brawler with no direct camera control & a FPS with large draw distances & variable amount of on screen characters at any one time.

KZ:SF is guaranteed to drop below 30fps, unlike the GOW games, & it will look like shit for the parts that go 20fps to 50fps in a split second.
Unlocked framerates in FPS or any games where you can fully manipulate the camera is a bad bad idea.

I still don't understand why they won't just lower the resolution slight so they can achieve 60fps.
900p with 60fps >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1080p with 30fps!

God of war 3 had tripple buffering. Uncharted 1 was released in 2007...

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was also part of the first wave of PS3 games, just like KZ:SF is part of the first wave of PS4 games. I'm willing to cut titles released in the first year/year and a half some slack when it comes to graphics.

I mean just take Naughty Dog's games for example. Look at UC1, UC2, UC3, and TLOU and see how much it improves each time.

X5zWg.png

kYDQPrT.jpg

velociraptor

GoW III had a tear every now and then. Uncharted 1 was Tear City.
I cannot comment on Uncharted 1, but you are factually incorrect about GOW3. It had no tearing.

I don't think I'll be bothered by the variable framerate. As long as the game runs smooth and doesn't judder, I'll live with it. Otherwise, I would like them to include the option of locking the framerate to 30 - would prefer them to give the player the option to decide what they want to do as opposed to having one or the other. Who knows, perhaps the unlocked framerate feels and looks superior to locking the game at 30FPS!

How many frames are displayed in that second will absolutely create a natural motion blur. If your character moves 10 feet in one second hypothetically, If you display that in 30 frames versus 60 frames, you're just seeing more of the picture. Your mind doesn't need to fill in as many gaps.
Again, flashing screens don't produce motion blur. That's why it's added in games as a post-process effect.

People got really weirded out by the Hobbit movie because it was filmed at double the framerate, making it look too lifelike, all it did was cut down on the blur lol.
No, it's because it made it look like a soap-opera. And it didn't remove any motion blur, for that it would have been required to record with different cameras with a smaller exposure time.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
HUGE fucking difference from a mostly overhead brawler with no direct camera control & a FPS with large draw distances & variable amount of on screen characters at any one time.

KZ:SF is guaranteed to drop below 30fps, unlike the GOW games, & it will look like shit for the parts that go 20fps to 50fps in a split second.
Unlocked framerates in FPS or any games where you can fully manipulate the camera is a bad bad idea.

I still don't understand why they won't just lower the resolution slight so they can achieve 60fps.
900p with 60fps >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1080p with 30fps!

I don't think it'll get that high or that low. It sounds like the only reason they unlocked it is because it's fairly steady around 40 or so.

Hawk269

Agree. I hate fluctuating frame rates. It is better that they lock it at whatever rate, but don't let it be unlocked. There could be scenes with no enemies and it be running at 60, then you have an enemy encounter and it drops to 30 or so...that would be jarring to say the least.

Pop

Agree. I hate fluctuating frame rates. It is better that they lock it at whatever rate, but don't let it be unlocked. There could be scenes with no enemies and it be running at 60, then you have an enemy encounter and it drops to 30 or so...that would be jarring to say the least.

The thing is it's not going to reach 60 in sp. That vid from yesterday showed that it was running between 35-40fps perfectly.

Forget reviews and forget GAF hive mind when we are talking about framerate issues. Only a few persons around here are critical enough to give you realistic information about framerate issues. Think about TLOU.

Well, what I remember about TLOU framerate is you singlehandedly ruining that Digital Foundry thread with your elitist insanity, soooo....

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Facetious or not, I'd agree that it's a mess and at times distracting.

Have you ever played a variable frame rate game?

It's only jarring when going from 90fps to 30 for me. When you fluctuate from 30-50 it's not as bad and I'm definitely apt to notice it.

We've dealt with it before on consoles and will deal with it again.

DerZuhälter;87576940 said:

Unlocked frame rate have its advantages and disadvantages over v-synced frame rate. And those videos encoded in 30fps do not show any of its advantages.

It would be most ideal if GG gave us an option to toggle it though. The fact that it can run at unlocked frame rate higher than 30fps means they can lock it down to 30fps too. I guess testers have played at both 30 and unlocked and determined unlocked plays better.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think a lot of the misunderstanding here is from semantics.

"smooth" should be how many frames in a given sec can be made. The higher the frames in a given second, the smoother the animation. That's just a fact. But keep in mind we are talking about a "constant" number. Not a fluctuation. For example, if I run a 10 min clip of gameplay and I can squeeze 30fps locked, and then compare it to the same 10min clip running 60fps locked, the latter scenario will appear smoother to the naked eye..

Here is a test: In DS on the PC, you could choose between 30fps and 60fps both locked with VSYNC enabled.

Can you tell which one is 30fps?

ilu3oMbBsXsT1.gif

Oh jeeze.

I made that Dark Souls frame rate comparison GIF and it's a really bad example, also you made up some stuff about it.

The maximum a GIF can render at is 50fps, so it's comparing the relative difference between 60 and 30, starting at 50. Also, there's no VSync enabled or anything. I just rendered at 60fps, then cut the framerate in half for one.

In hindsight, the animations I chose are a bad example and I've made better examples since.

I made an updated post with a lot more examples from a lot of different genres, I'll post some here.

First Person Shooter
10507187715_32ff6a996a_o.gif

Third Person Action
10507198315_ab3ffb34e2_o.gif

Racing
10507178726_90297a0cd2_o.gif

hwateber

Those gifs are excellent at illustrating the frame rate differences. Almost got me with the last one.
All the non f-zero gifs had 60fps on top :(

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Those gifs are excellent at illustrating the frame rate differences. Almost got me with the last one.
All the non f-zero gifs had 60fps on top :(

It's actually meant to be done sort of like a quiz!

Part 1

Part 2

I recorded examples from a big sampling of genres so people could determine how important they felt the framerate difference was relative to that genre.

I did

First person shooter
Third Person Action
Racing
2D Platformer
Fighting
Turn Based Strategy​

It has the answers on the bottom of the posts. I think 2D platformer and racing are two of the most noticeable.

jett

D-Member
As usual, genre most affected by framerate is racing. The 60fps(well, 50) gif of F-zero makes the other one look unplayable. Then again, it is 25fps which is considerably worse than 30 than what the 5 frame difference would lead you to believe... :p

Thrakier

Well, what I remember about TLOU framerate is you singlehandedly ruining that Digital Foundry thread with your elitist insanity, soooo....

How can you ruin a DF thread by talking about framerate? That's the whole point.

The GIFs are excellent, thanks. They really underline why next gen consoles are completly uninteressting to me. I simply can not play games at 30FPS anymore. Maybe, just maybe, if the game would be super amazing CGI like looking, I'd think about it...but as it is now, we get PC graphics at 1080/30 mostly. Well, 720/30 that is for X1.

hesido

Guys, stop doing gif test for 60fps. (Tho Alo81's examples are MUCH better than the swordsmen on black background)

There are many browsers that cannot display gif that fast, you are doing a dis-service.

Alo81's examples are good, because it shows some camera action addition to on screen objects moving. The swordsmen example is utterly pointless (tho I personally can easily tell which is 60fps) as we don't play games like that, with an object fixed in the middle with black background. Show us moving backgrounds (the receipts) and we'll talk.

However, as browsers may have problems displaying things at 60fps, the examples may fall flat on their faces, and the user may find no difference.

I'll try to prepare a universally good 60fps html5 test (like those flash based examples with a fps check but I'll also add a visual clue to see whether the test is running properly.) when I have the time.

Taker34

Banned
The best way to experience the FPS difference is playing like 1 hour (current gen console) Battlefield 3 and then immediately any CoD multiplayer game. You'll be extremely surprised.

But yeah regarding KZ:SF, it depends from game to game. Maybe it does look and feel better than locked 30 fps... we'll see. You can trust GG or not. I for once, believe!

Top Bottom