• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killlzone Shadow Fall's SP runs at unlocked frame rate

Bumhead

Banned
I think there's a difference between thinking you can't see 30fps>60fps and just being happy with 30.

I own a gaming PC, and can see 60fps, and like 60fps, and if I saw two games running side by side running at both frame rates I'd pick it out easily, but if I'm playing a game which is designed to run at 30fps and maintains a solid 30fps, it honestly doesn't bother me at all. I wonder if a lot of those who say they can't see the difference just don't care about the difference.

ref

Not sure how I feel about this.

I have a gaming rig, and love high framerates.

That being said, I hate jarring framerate increases and drops.

I think I'd probably prefer it locked solid 30, but by the sounds of the previews, the unlocked framerate doesn't seem to be jarring so guess we'll have to wait and see, still getting this game day 1.

Thrakier

If it 's like GOW3 than i won't be complaining, infact it will much better. I will trust the developers on this one.

It's just there is nothing to trust. There is no magic implementation of a variable framerate which makes things smooth. They probably tested with soccer moms if they notice the difference between locked and fluctuating frames and they were fine with it, so what the hell we can claim that we run with MORE THAN 30FPS => marketing.

hesido

There are other issues regarding fluctuating and low framerates then just stuttering. It's also a visual difference which will still be visible albeit being smooth and then there is input lag. Locking framerate at 60 or above will always be the superior solution and g-sync encourages devs to aim for framerates below 60. So I am NOT a fan.

G-sync wouldn't cause any dev to target bad frame rates in the PC world like mentioned earlier.

However, even when applied in the console world, G-sync would be beneficial in many instances: Games that can go 40 fps wouldn't have to be locked down to 30, and in cases where 60fps is not met, since the frames can be displayed as soon as they are produced, would reduce the input lag signigicantly: There's little reason to use triple buffering anymore, for example. That would reduce lag even on 60fps titles, if they are designed with G-sync in mind.

Go play something like WipEout HD in singleplayer and then in split-screen multiplayer. If you can't tell the difference from such a direct comparison I don't really know what to say. It's incredibly obvious that one mode runs smoother than the other.

I can see difference. I just do not care. Consistency is king. I can easily adapt to different framerates, but wildly fluctuating framerate is jarring to see.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's just there is nothing to trust. There is no magic implementation of a variable framerate which makes things smooth. They probably tested with soccer moms if they notice the difference between locked and fluctuating frames and they were fine with it, so what the hell we can claim that we run with MORE THAN 30FPS => marketing.
They've received a lot of flack over input latency issues so I suspect this decision was based on that. Even with image judder the input latency will be lower than if it were locked at 30.

Pop

That last video of sp was running between 35-45fps at all times. I trust GG, they know what they're doing.

camac002

once again people should watch this video with the true frame rate http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40142006 at 51:00 and ignore the youtube encodes.

As for fluctuation from 30 to 60, the article actually said 35-40 unlocked and they probably have a cap at 40 frames with triple buffering. No judder. No looking at the sky and getting 60.

Perhaps we could add this video to the OP.

I can see difference. I just do not care. Consistency is king. I can easily adapt to different framerates, but wildly fluctuating framerate is jarring to see.

I agree consistency is king. For me, my preference is in this order:

1) Locked 60fps (or near-as-possible)
2) Locked 30fps
3) Unlocked 30-60fps variable framerate

What's frustrating is that 2) and 3) have no difference in their ease/difficulty of implementation.

Artex

Banned
There is no problem here, this is a good thing. I need to get off this forum already and its 10am. There are some serious retards out today.

FAKE EDIT: Oh right, it's Saturday. The kids are out.

camac002

I agree consistency is king. For me, my preference is in this order:

1) Locked 60fps (or near-as-possible)
2) Locked 30fps
3) Unlocked 30-60fps variable framerate

What's frustrating is that 2) and 3) have no difference in their ease/difficulty of implementation.

But this game is not going to be going 30-60. According to that article, Its going from 35-40, probably holding around 40 constantly.

I just played through a level on Crysis 3 with triple buffered vsync and set the frame limiter to 40. No tearing. No drastic fluctuations. Small drops to 37 when shit is blowing up. The experience was way better than the locked 30. The Brasil footage of KZSF looks as though it is holding 40 frames.

dan2026

How it it that they can get 60 working in multi-player but not single player.

Seems like they have taxed their engine too far. Sloppy.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i was reading jeff gerstmann's blog the other day and he seemed pretty bummed out by the framerate of both knack and killzone. i'd treat any claims that it's unlocked but somehow doesn't go under 30fps with extreme suspicion.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
As long as it doesn't tear or vary wildly, I'm all for this. If it jumps all over the place then it could be an issue.

Durante

once again people should watch this video with the true frame rate http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40142006 at 51:00 and ignore the youtube encodes.

As for fluctuation from 30 to 60, the article actually said 35-40 unlocked and they probably have a cap at 40 frames with triple buffering. No judder. No looking at the sky and getting 60.

Perhaps we could add this video to the OP.
There is no way not to have judder on a traditional 60 Hz display with 40 FPS.

jaaz

Fine by me, it's single player. Why lock it in at 30 if most of the time its closer to 60? (we don't know the average, but I assume they wouldn't have left it unlocked if most of the times it was closer to 30)

Shinriji

Well, with future patches they can optimize the engine further to be closer to 60 frames with drops than 30 frame with occasional jump to 60.

Nethaniah

Fine by me, it's single player. Why lock it in at 30 if most of the time its closer to 60? (we don't know the average, but I assume they wouldn't have left it unlocked if most of the times it was closer to 30)

This has been explained multiple times now in this thread.

i was reading jeff gerstmann's blog the other day and he seemed pretty bummed out by the framerate of both knack and killzone. i'd treat any claims that it's unlocked but somehow doesn't go under 30fps with extreme suspicion.

The qoute in question

Either way, it’s shitty that we have to have this conversation at all. These systems don’t really feel like a full generational shift anymore. Seeing stuff like Killzone and Knack with noticeably uneven frame rates has sort of shaken my confidence in this whole ordeal, regardless of platform. We’ll see, hopefully it won’t be a big deal when all the hardware hits.

Ce-Lin

just give me an option to lock it, hope this variable framerate is not forced, I much prefer rock solid 30 fps over 30-50 roller-coaster.

jett

D-Member

Who knows what Jeff's expectations were, from the Brasil Game Show demo(same demo shown to journos), it doesn't seem to ever drop from 30.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cross posting this from the thread we were discussing it in last night.

Does anyone else feel like Sony is trying to put an emphasis on higher framerates? With the news of SP in this and Knack being unlocked 30 it seems like they're trying to move up from the 30fps standard, even if they can't get to 60.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

you read jeff gerstmann's blog? lol!

Maybe read the thread? Ain't that hard bro.
I've read the thread. All I see is a bunch of guys who need to get over themselves and their opinions. When you're at the point where you're telling somebody that they're wrong for seeing something like a variable frame rate as trivial rather than the end all be all, maybe you need to step back and understand how the world and opinions work.

legacyzero

Banned
Unlocked is not a good thing.

This. That shit is gonna be all over the place.

There's nothing good about an inconsistent frame-rate IMO. I guess as long as the multiplayer is a more consistent frame-rate, I can deal with it.

I'm guessing we're gonna have to wait for reviews before we know how good/bad it is.

Ryuuga

Banned

There's nothing good about an inconsistent frame-rate IMO. I guess as long as the multiplayer is a more consistent frame-rate, I can deal with it.

mynicca1.png

I'm guessing we're gonna have to wait for reviews before we know how good/bad it is.

You said there's nothing good, so why wait for reviews?

Top Bottom