• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killlzone Shadow Fall's SP runs at unlocked frame rate

As long as it doesn't suddenly jump from 30 to 60 i wont complain, that was jarring in the first infamous where that happened in the harbor area. You turn away from the city, bam, 60 or something, city comes back into view, drop to 30.

Consitency is preferable!

I can't easily show you a video without sitting down and making one myself there's very few 60 fps videos out there to begin with. Do you think we're just making this up?!

I think your exaggerating how much of a "issue" this is.
I have been gaming on my PC first and foremost over any console. I play every major visual showcase on it primarily. To aid in that experience I have done all the things afforded by my setup - Setting V-Sync and MSAA(when I can) and never have I "locked" the fps if its not dipping below 30. I'm sure its a "issue" to a very small portion of pc gamers since among all my friends I don't know any that do it.

Sethos

Banned
Afterburner. Everything else introduces micro stutter, for the most part, including nvidias options.

Do you have some evidence of this, thinking specific benchmarks? I'd love to take your word for it but seems weird that Afterburner is magical while the rest is shit.

I never lock my framerate if its going to be variable above 30. I also don't see any judder if it isn't dipping below 30 as long as I have V-Sync on. Please show me a video of this judder you speak of.

A video of judder? What the fuck.

Hazanko

Banned
Not sure how it'll be with this game since I haven't played it yet; however, when frame rate is unlocked I usually notice the frame rates going up and down more often which does put me off.

Yes, this is not good at all. I assume they had a reason to do it, but a locked framerate is always better. I think GOW3 was an exception due to the fixed camera.

Perkel

Banned
Is there anyway to fix microstutter in Skyrim on AMD?

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4/?

Use that. Skyrim is fucked up on PC in Fullscreen. It is essentially windowed mode that looks like fullscreen and fixes sturrer.

It is basically same thing as The Witcher 2 sturrer on AMD GPUs which was introduced in one of patches.

It's engine bug that is either fixed with .dll or playing game in windowed mode. Devs should be punished for such big to exist in first place

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Do you have some evidence of this, thinking specific benchmarks? I'd love to take your word for it but seems weird that Afterburner is magical while the rest is shit.
It is totally bizarre. I cannot explain myself but the results have impressed me. I'm not sure there are any articles out there covering this either. It's something I discovered through trial and error. Other tools, such as Dxtory, introduce lots of stuttering as does the nvidia framerate limiter. The half refresh option also works fairly often but can increase load times in select games. Afterburner has a 95% success rate for me. It limits the framerate without any additional stutters. I'd love to know what it is they're doing that's so different.

It even solves issues for me at higher framerates. Darksiders 2 stutters wildly on its own but capping it at 60 fps using Afterburner produces a completely smooth experience. No other tool could do that.

Digital Foundry seems to like it, no mention of a problem with framerate yet. Will wait until some sort of analysis on this game before getting upset about it.

Sethos

Banned
It is totally bizarre. I cannot explain myself but the results have impressed me. I'm not sure there are any articles out there covering this either. It's something I discovered through trial and error. Other tools, such as Dxtory, introduce lots of stuttering as does the nvidia framerate limiter. The half refresh option also works fairly often but can increase load times in select games. Afterburner has a 95% success rate for me. It limits the framerate without any additional stutters. I'd love to know what it is they're doing that's so different.

It even solves issues for me at higher framerates. Dark spiders 2 stutters wildly on its own but capping it at 60 fps using Afterburner produces a completely smooth experience. No other tool could do that.

Interesting, can't say that I've seen much stuttering using only Nvidia Inspector but I'll look into Afterburner. Might as well replace Precision X. Does Afterburner have an automatic 'good' fan profile ala Precision X or does it at least support the Titan's power target ability?

Thrakier

It will no longer be about "choosing" 30 fps as you can just let the framerate run free without issue.

There are other issues regarding fluctuating and low framerates then just stuttering. It's also a visual difference which will still be visible albeit being smooth and then there is input lag. Locking framerate at 60 or above will always be the superior solution and g-sync encourages devs to aim for framerates below 60. So I am NOT a fan.

Thrakier

It even solves issues for me at higher framerates. Darksiders 2 stutters wildly on its own but capping it at 60 fps using Afterburner produces a completely smooth experience. No other tool could do that.

I second that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Interesting, can't say that I've seen much stuttering using only Nvidia Inspector but I'll look into Afterburner. Might as well replace Precision X. Does Afterburner have an automatic 'good' fan profile ala Precision X or does it at least support the Titan's power target ability?
The framerate limiter is actually a part of Afterburner OSD not AB proper. I'm uncertain how we'll the other aspects perform as I exclusively use the OSD portion for limiting framerate.

Durante

There are other issues regarding fluctuating and low framerates then just stuttering. It's also a visual difference which will still be visible albeit being smooth and then there is input lag. Locking framerate at 60 or above will always be the superior solution and g-sync encourages devs to aim for framerates below 60. So I am NOT a fan.
But G-sync is on PC. It's not developers making frame rate decisions, it's you (for the vast majority of cases).

What G-sync allows you to do is not having to tune your settings so that even in the single most challenging situation in a game you have to reach 60 FPS without ever dropping to even 59. You can configure your settings so you always stay above, say, 45, and have a fluid experience throughout, without any judder or tearing.

Thrakier

But G-sync is on PC. It's not developers making frame rate decisions, it's you (for the vast majority of cases).

What G-sync allows you to do is not having to tune your settings so that even in the single most challenging situation in a game you have to reach 60 FPS without ever dropping to even 59. You can configure your settings so you always stay above, say, 45, and have a fluid experience throughout, without any judder or tearing.

True, but also on PC devs can aim for a engine which produces high framerates or it doesn't. It's a question of priorities. But yeah you are right, there are also positive sides to it. Still, I wanna much rather see 60 as a standard than g-sync.

Perkel

Banned
I ask once again because my question was unanswered.

Does lack of judder for some people (noticeable) may have something to do with Image processing on TVs and lack of it in monitors (i mean lack of heavy IP in monitors) ?

My theory is that TVs often hide things behind IP where monitors doesn't hide almost anything and thus things may be more noticeable.

Gskyace

I think it is the first time the full coversheet is revealed?
Though there are lots promotion covers from retailers.

This is the real one, while I haven't spotted any new info.

9c438e46jw1e9yuoihvatj21b10rsais.jpg

Source

Can someone explain why displays, in this age and date, have refresh rates and not just have maksimum screen update speed? At some point screen tech has gone to wrong, really wrong, direction.

KORNdoggy

Much like GOW...i'm fine with this, it looks silky smooth so it's all good. 60would have obviously have been better though...but hell, you can't have everything for a game so pretteh.

Perkel

Banned
Can someone explain why displays, in this age and date, have refresh rates and not just have maksimum screen update speed? At some point screen tech has gone to wrong, really wrong, direction.

Because screen tech was created for movies and video content. Games even now are not considered special so producers don't change anything.

But with tech like G-Sync that should change in near future.

Sethos

Banned
The framerate limiter is actually a part of Afterburner OSD not AB proper. I'm uncertain how we'll the other aspects perform as I exclusively use the OSD portion for limiting framerate.

I'll look into it at some point, appreciate it.

jett

D-Member
I think it is the first time the full coversheet is revealed?
Though there are lots promotion covers from retailers.

This is the real one, while I haven't spotted any new info.

Source

Confirmed full installation required. I wonder how long until we get a multi-BD game. I'm guessing Final Fantasy XV with its antiquated use of CGI. :p

GameSeeker

I see complaints from the 1% of the 1% (i.e., 0.01% actually care about this).

I've been gaming on the PC since 1984. I've played hundreds of games that don't have a locked framerate. On the PC you set resolution and graphics settings so your framerate is always above 30 or always above 60. That's what GG is doing with KZ:SF. Don't worry - the game will look and play absolutely fabulous.

Yes, in the future G-sync type solutions will be wonderful. But in 2013 no such thing exists, so we live with the TV's and monitors we have.

sTaTIx

Hopefully this means V-sync is disabled as well. I freaking HATE V-sync, because of the input lag it causes. I have V-sync off in all my PC games. Screen tearing doesn't bother me that much; at least not to the point where I would sacrifice controller responsiveness.

Bioshock Infinite had a wonderful "Unlock Framerate" option that also disabled V-sync, and thus was much more responsive with it enabled.

cripterion

As long as playing the game for a couple of minutes doesn't make me feel nauseous like the Killzone 2 demo (never got the game because of it) I'm ok with it.

Ryuuga

Banned
I'm a bit disappointed by this since I do prefer a locked framerate. Yes, it's smooth from 30 to 60, but it's when it's up around 60 and falls to 30 is where my issue lies.

True, but also on PC devs can aim for a engine which produces high framerates or it doesn't. It's a question of priorities. But yeah you are right, there are also positive sides to it. Still, I wanna much rather see 60 as a standard than g-sync.

g sync goes all the way up to 144 hz though. if I have to choose between a gsynched game that runs at an average of 80 fps +- 20 fps, I think that'd be preferable to a locked 60 fps.

I haven't seen a gsynched monitor yet, of course, but my guess is that in any case you have a game running at a locked 60 fps now, that it's going to look better on a gsynched monitor, because locked 60 fps, means MINIMUM 60 fps. with gsync you won't be throwing all those other frames away.

luckily for me, FPS titles are the ones where I notice stuttering the least. it's going to bother me more in Knack, and heaven forbid we get variable triple buffered framerate in a true platformer or racing game.

Because screen tech was created for movies and video content. Games even now are not considered special so producers don't change anything.

But with tech like G-Sync that should change in near future.

I know. I mean tegnologically. Someone has to have made this limiting tech part of the displays at some point.. Is it because how data is fed to display.? It makes no sense if one thinks about lcd/display tech. This is pretty wildly off-topic so i stop now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hopefully this means V-sync is disabled as well. I freaking HATE V-sync, because of the input lag it causes. I have V-sync off in all my PC games. Screen tearing doesn't bother me that much; at least not to the point where I would sacrifice controller responsiveness.

Bioshock Infinite had a wonderful "Unlock Framerate" option that also disabled V-sync, and thus was much more responsive with it enabled.

So wrong. Screen tearing totally ruins the image quality of any game, no matter how good it looks otherwise.

pestul

Another vote for Afterburner here. Its a great all-around piece of software including rivatuner. The video recorder is execellent too. Uses less resources than Fraps.

Replicant

Am I the only one here who isn't able to discern between frame rates? 30 fps, 60 fps. These are just numbers to me

Unless it's truly bad like the demo for the new Castlevania game, no, I usually can't tell either if a game is 30fps or 60fps. Which is why I usually prefer better visual. Don't kill me please.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I see that cover claims the game needs 5 GB over what the game size (~39GB) is reported to be. Interesting. Unless it's voice material for regions that doesn't apply to US release.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Unless it's truly bad like the demo for the new Castlevania game, no, I usually can't tell either if a game is 30fps or 60fps. Which is why I usually prefer better visual. Don't kill me please.

Go play something like WipEout HD in singleplayer and then in split-screen multiplayer. If you can't tell the difference from such a direct comparison I don't really know what to say. It's incredibly obvious that one mode runs smoother than the other.

Top Bottom