• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall Multiplayer Impressions - PAX Prime

Hoje0308

Banned
Do you think that these are issues that will stand out? If I won't go looking for them, will I spot them? And what exactly do you mean by aliasing issues, jaggies on characters for example?

I wouldn't worry about those just yet. They may not have their final (or any) AA solution in that build and hopefully the dithering is something they can get sorted out before launch, if they haven't already.

Dibbz

lol that ending animation... it said that his faction lost and it showed the Helghan logo... was that the winning team logo or his faction since with that cutscene ending it just confuses me even more if the Helghan faction did indeed lose

It was his teams logo. End of the round the best players on the winning team get to taunt the enemy. Seems like if you do nothing the HGH player will react and do something themselves.

It was his teams logo. End of the round the best players on the winning team get to taunt the enemy. Seems like if you do nothing the HGH player will react and do something themselves.

I see makes sense... I was lost for a sec thinking that even if the ISA won they're still no match for the badass Helghast :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Opinion from Pax. Sounds GREAT. ''Runs super smooth'':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH_MHfhm5ng
The comment on about the guns is why I love this series. "Every shot feels like it'll take someone's head off."

Ok so they're not showing the rain map. The demo cycles to it, then resets.

The framerate seemed much more solid this time. Almost always 60 with occasional drops. I don't know what the deal was yesterday. I tried out a bunch of weapons, but most of the abilities appear to be locked for this demo. It was just the turret, shield, and revive bot, which you can use to remotely revive allies. The shield seems a little bit cheap. Most of the assault weapons take 5-6 bullets to kill, and the semiauto sniper took 3 bullets to kill.

Nice impressions. Even in some of the offscreen vids I can see some aliasing on high contrast surfaces which I haven't noticed in other videos. I care more about framerate in MP anyway so glad to hear that's smooth.

ADS really wasn't a legit tactic in KZ2. I'm not saying the game looks bad or anything, if just feels like it has more CoD in its DNA than ever before.

eehyaaa

listen to what I'm saying, I know that. I agree, I almost never in all my 33 thousand kills aimed down sights in KZ2. I'm saying the only reason your seeing that in these vids is becasue the people playing are conditioned by COD, and the only reason it looks effective is becasue they are playing against bots

Once the actual community gets into this and it's person vs. person I believe the gameplay will look less like KZ3/COD and more like KZ2, not exactly like but close enough

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Are Gamersyde people on PAX? We need 1080p60fps footage!

Nope, sorry, E3 is already difficult for us to pay for, PAX is simply not an option.
"Nice" to see that the build that was only shown behind closed doors at Gamescom (and that only 5 sites in France got to see) 10 days ago is now playable by the public. I'd love the reasoning behind this...

nib95

Banned
The videos look exactly like the previous KZ games. Bad/laggy aiming acceleration, instant ADS/no time or weight to bringing up the sights.

I really don't understand ignorant posts like this. The sights are not instant at all, there is a slight delay to bringing them up. You wouldn't want more of a delay anyway. Plus KZ has never had bad or laggy gameplay, people are just too used to twitchy auto lock on ridden shooter gameplay and find KZs weighty feel unusual. KZ3 unfortunately veered away from the KZ2 feel which imo was far more accomplished. Should also be mentioned that lag has never really been an issue, and especially won't be an issue with KZ SF due to the improved controller and 60fps.

I'm one of the few who thinks the CoD direction is a good thing. The slower game play from before was a bit clunky and divisive for a lot of players. If they can make things a bit faster and more fluid while still maintaining the franchise feel it will be for the best imo.

CoD is one of the biggest and most addictive franchises in gaming, nobody should take that comparison as an insult.

DieH@rd

Banned
Nope, sorry, E3 is already difficult for us to pay for, PAX is simply not an option.
"Nice" to see that the build that was only shown behind closed doors at Gamescom (and that only 5 sites in France got to see) 10 days ago is now playable by the public. I'd love the reasoning behind this...

Yea, my friend who was on Gamescom [even managed to get a press pass, only to found out that anyone can enter during pressday if they pay]. He was pissed about this new KZ:SF situation.

The framerate seemed much more solid this time. Almost always 60 with occasional drops. I don't know what the deal was yesterday. I tried out a bunch of weapons, but most of the abilities appear to be locked for this demo. It was just the turret, shield, and revive bot, which you can use to remotely revive allies. The shield seems a little bit cheap. Most of the assault weapons take 5-6 bullets to kill, and the semiauto sniper took 3 bullets to kill.

This is great news...

So, it seems you have to pull out the shield before placing it.

Still, I think there should be a small start up. Not as long as a turret, but long enough that you can't insta-pop it.

Also, "Faster Health Regen" is an Honor Badge, along with "Lower Recoil".

X-Frame

So, it seems you have to pull out the shield before placing it.

Still, I think there should be a small start up. Not as long as a turret, but long enough that you can't insta-pop it.

Also, "Faster Health Regen" is an Honor Badge, along with "Lower Recoil".

I just re-watched the debut multiplayer trailer again just to see if being able to turn off Honor Badges is an option, but I didn't find that particular option, if there is one. I'd assume that would be one of the more popular options the community would turn off though if it's available.

Also, just watching the trailer again, the Custom Warzone's really sound like a lot of fun, being able to tweak spawn time, health regen, # of lives, along with the obvious like weapons and abilities, the amount of customization and variety is going to be huge.

Splint

I'm one of the few who thinks the CoD direction is a good thing. The slower game play from before was a bit clunky and divisive for a lot of players. If they can make things a bit faster and more fluid while still maintaining the franchise feel it will be for the best imo.

CoD is one of the biggest and most addictive franchises in gaming, nobody should take that comparison as an insult.
We dont need two CODs. And COD players will stick with COD. Making non-COD fans stuck with a COD clone. No thanks.

nib95

Banned

Interesting. Did they update it to a newer build or something?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Yeah, that's very strange. I guess they were hyped by the response it got behind closed doors that they felt confident enough to put it out there?

Yes. They showed scope, under barrel, and round types with the V55 reveal.

tumblr_mg2shuNO2H1qj88rjo1_250.gif

Blizzje

Have we seen the problems with the aliasing in the single player portion of the game as well? I downloaded a 1gig .mov file back in february that had some single player footage and the image quality looked immaculate. No sign of jaggies whatsoever.

Have we seen the problems with the aliasing in the single player portion of the game as well? I downloaded a 1gig .mov file back in february that had some single player footage and the image quality looked immaculate. No sign of jaggies whatsoever.
No there were signs of aliassing there too (tough less aparent).
Don't forget hat a 1GB file is still a compressed file.

Do these kinds of issues usually come from lack of power of the machine or is it simply a coding issue?
It was an old build at E3 (months old). Maybe they'll add this later on, maybe not. I think the jaggies will be less noticable compared to PS3 due to resolution anyway. I can imagine them leaving AA completly out for MP to reach 60fps. Maybe they'll use some cheap not so taxing method. Good anti aliassing requires power, yes. Some people here doubt the PS4 is powerful enough to run a complex game in 1080p at a steady framerate with a good method of anti aliassing. I heard that Sony has develloped a custom AA method for next gen but i have no idea how good it is and whether we've seen it allready.

- They are working with Sony ATG on new AA method - TMAA:
"We're currently using FXAA for anti-aliasing, but we're working together with Sony ATG on a better solution more suitable for PS4. Watch out for TMAA"

Blizzje

Isn't FXAA being used in most current-gen games on X360 and PS3 though? I really can't see any developer opt for no AA when FXAA is available.

Top Bottom