• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall Multiplayer Impressions - PAX Prime

nib95

Banned
It's worrisome that weapon balance is being performed a month before the game goes gold.

You don't know that. The build being shown probably isn't the final or most recent build. They likely have another one in testing and current development.

Is that the cover system I see?

The first pistol you see? That's been semi-auto since KZ2.

Right, and that always puzzled me because in KZ1 they had two side arms, the ISA semi auto pistol and the Helghast machine pistol, in KZ2 they axed the semi auto pistol and changed the machine pistol (3 round burst) into a semi auto. I just think they should have just left them alone and kept both in the first place. Like Lugers SMG showing up in KZ3 as a machine pistol.

JB1981

Man COD scifi all up in this bitch. Nice to see the cover system added to MP. The game looks like it will be fun a least.

Man COD scifi all up in this bitch. Nice to see the cover system added to MP. The game looks like it will be fun a least.

nah this game is looking like what KZ3 should have been, the only reason your drawing cod comparisons is probably becasue everyone playing it are playing it like they would COD, wait until the actual true fans of the franchise get a hold of it, it'll be just like old times (I hope) any word of clan matches and valor system returning

nah this game is looking like what KZ3 should have been, the only reason your drawing cod comparisons is probably becasue everyone playing it are playing it like they would COD, wait until the actual true fans of the franchise get a hold of it, it'll be just like old times (I hope) any word of clan matches and valor system returning
Exactly my impression, most people seem to just want to rake in their kill counts instead of reviving their team mates and using their abilities and they seem to reload every minute just like you would see in a COD game. I hope GG brings Killzone 2 clan system so we can really have those Clan Wars/Tournaments that went on forever, they should also introduce a leader board for clans which would make everyone want to join a clan and be at the top

K' Dash

Why would there meltdowns when the game won't be out for over 2 months and this is likely an old build?

Willy-wonka-you-must-be-new-here.jpg

Vidpixel

Minus some hiccups and glitches here and there, I think the game is looking good so far. That mall level actually appears to be a lot more open than I thought from that 6 minutes of direct feed footage.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I won't comment on the TC's fps comments but I think it's rather pre-mature to be using your eyes to put a number on things. For an unfinished game, it already looks stellar an this is just the multiplayer.

I'm glad they're not spoiling the story even though people will want to see some SP to wet their appetite.

Looked kind of fun I guess. Wasn't hugely impressed. Didn't see one revive, one spawn drop, one turret build and it seemed a lot faster. Pretty much nothing that distinguished it from CoD really. Even the map looked like something from CoD or BF.

The cutscene at the end was pretty funny.

Lol at the ending cinematic. WTF was that haha.

Yeah i also thought that was comical

At the end of the game, the top player on the winning team can perform a move on the top player on the losing team.

That top player didn't press the button, or must have missed it, so the other player retaliated the humiliation lol.

Kenshin001 said:
Looked kind of fun I guess. Wasn't hugely impressed. Didn't see one revive, one spawn drop, one turret build and it seemed a lot faster. Pretty much nothing that distinguished it from CoD really. Even the map looked like something from CoD or BF.

This infuriates me too. Most of the abilities, especially for assault, are selfish. They don't go primarily towards teamwork. Stuff like wallhacks are just such an offputting addition. With no more ammo boxes, there is no need for Engineers to control the map. With seemingly regenerative health, there is no need for medpacks. Look how quickly from when the person dies they can spawn again. Who cares about death? Or reviving? You die, you can seemingly spawn back real quick. Run, gun, ADS, run, gun, ADS.

ADS is really pissing me the f off. I don't want Killzone to be a run and gun like that.

Lots of recoil, timed shots, crouching to make your aim better... doesn't seem any of that is there.

Yeah yeah "they'll add recoil", but I doubt it's going to be satisfactory.

Amir0x

Banned
Man this game looks slick, i hope they can get the framerate under control before launch. I'm not too concerned.

kevm3

Game looks nice, but Guerrilla needs to work on creating more balanced abilities. That whole seeing enemies through walls thing looks overpowered as does the shield that you can throw up.

hesido

Doesn't anybody else think the "see everybody behind walls" mode is immersion breaking?

At the very least, they should look like blobs should be very much blurred based on distance and (maybe the amount of walls between, power of the GPUGPU). If they really have to add it at least. Maybe dim out if the subject is not moving anymore etc, and it should only be on for a very, very brief amount of time. Objects further away / that are moving slowly would be presented with vague signals, while things closer and moving fast would be represented with clearer signals. You keep the tension high, and it would be more realistic, because of science!

edit: This is also what I thought The Last Of Us should have employed. I think a "blobby" overlay could have been very easily done with teh powah of the cell and for Killzone SF, the PS4. It would look much more plausible, much less invasive, and would keep the tension higher (not sure what exactly is behind the wall, or the EXACT spot of it based of the distance)

This video looks like a step back from the MP press footage off of the Sony website. First of all the dithering/aliasing problems that we've heard about with the foliage and then secondly the fact there isn't any recoil.

Question being, why would this be an older build than what we've seen released?

Dibbz

Doesn't anybody else think the "see everybody behind walls" mode is immersion breaking?

At the very least, they should look like blobs should be very much blurred based on distance and (maybe the amount of walls between, power of the GPUGPU). If they really have to add it at least. Maybe dim out if the subject is not moving anymore etc, and it should only be on for a very, very brief amount of time. Objects further away / that are moving slowly would be presented with vague signals, while things closer and moving fast would be represented with clearer signals. You keep the tension high, and it would be more realistic, because of science!

GG knows what they are doing. KZ3 had spotting through walls like this but it could be countered easily. Just have a marksman with a jammer and done.

Looks like a typical FPS. If you told me this was Crysis or COD I wouldn't doubt you.

What are the objectives here? I don't see any sort of teamwork. It also seems like GG is continuing the trend of abilities turning you into super soldiers like in KZ3. In KZ2, aside from the assault boost pill, every ability was meant to help the team in some way (spawn nades, turrets, health packs, revive, etc). Currently uninterested.

I hated it the moment I saw it in SP. Not sure what they were thinking with that addition. I guess it's the progression from spot and mark?

sunnz

The map looks amazing, so much colour ( not just outside, but the blue, green and red walls/ screens indoors)

It doesn't look like it will offer the KZ2 feel YET, but I am sure playing it will be different when playing ( probably be more like KZ3 anyway)

And yes, KZ is the type of game were you DON'T ADS all the time ( well KZ2)
LOL at the end, so perfect.

Dibbz

This video looks like a step back from the MP press footage off of the Sony website. First of all the dithering/aliasing problems that we've heard about with the foliage and then secondly the fact there isn't any recoil.

Question being, why would this be an older build than what we've seen released?

Because stability. Come on guys this is simple stuff. You have a playable multiplayer demo you are going to want to put out a stable build, not a build that was done yesterday that could cause problems.

DrZeus

Footage is looking good. I have faith that GG will lock the fps in before launch. I wanna know more about these abilities. Cover is a nice touch assume we can slide into it.

hesido

GG knows what they are doing. KZ3 had spotting through walls like this but it could be countered easily. Just have a marksman with a jammer and done.

My concern isn't exactly about balancing it.. It looks really out of place, to be able to see VERY clear silhouettes of enemies even very far away, behind several walls, without noise. It kind of ruins the immersion for me. It should have been very hard to differentiate moving "flesh" from a moving tree branch for example. Such solutions would always come with extremely high noise. Thinking too much into it, I know, but my proposed "solution" would be much more interesting, both by keeping tension and looking more plausible.

I hated it the moment I saw it in SP. Not sure what they were thinking with that addition. I guess it's the progression from spot and mark?

My feelings exactly. I remember the feeling of sadness when I saw the green clear silhouette behind the rocks, half of the enemy in the clear, half of him behind rocks and green, you'd always see the enemy very clearly. It's much more defined compared to spot and mark, to the point that it looks silly to me.

Because stability. Come on guys this is simple stuff. You have a playable multiplayer demo you are going to want to put out a stable build, not a build that was done yesterday that could cause problems.
Thank you for the reply and explanation, I was only asking though. I asked because it seemed like what they were playing was stable enough.

Glad to know/assume that most of these issues could already be sorted out though.

Dibbz

My concern isn't exactly about balancing it.. It looks really out of place, to be able to see VERY clear silhouettes of enemies even very far away, behind several walls, without noise. It kind of ruins the immersion for me. It should have been very hard to differentiate moving "flesh" from a moving tree branch for example. Such solutions would always come with extremely high noise. Thinking too much into it, I know, but my proposed "solution" would be much more interesting, both by keeping tension and looking more plausible.

My feelings exactly. I remember the feeling of sadness when I saw the green clear silhouette behind the rocks, half of the enemy in the clear, half of him behind rocks and green, you'd always see the enemy very clearly. It's much more defined compared to spot and mark, to the point that it looks silly to me.

Wait you do realize the green silhouettes are your team mates right?

The red silhouettes are the enemies and they only show up when someone uses the spot ability and that is now very slow and the radius is not that big at all.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You can't expect teamwork or intelligent play in a showfloor demo. Of course people are going to play everything like straight TDM.

They seem confident in their ability to lock the framerate so I'm not going to worry about that aspect. I just want them to continue to work on balancing the weapons.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I just love the lights and colors.

Probably one of the most aesthetically pleasing games coming out.

hesido

The red silhouettes are the enemies and they only show up when someone uses the spot ability and that is now very slow and the radius is not that big at all.

Sorry for mixing the colours, I'm more opposed to how cleanly the whole thing is presented, in a manner that breaks the immersion.

Dibbz

Sorry for mixing the colours, I'm more opposed to how cleanly the whole thing is presented, in a manner that breaks the immersion.

You can turn off all abilities so no problem, just make a Warzone without the spotting and if people enjoy it they will play like that.

Personally I don't have a problem with all the HUD elements like the silhouettes. Just take a look at all the characters head gear. They all wear some sort of high tech helmet goggle combo. It makes sense you will have access to these futuristic features, it fits within the world.

like the spot and mark from KZ2

More like the S&M from KZ3 since it works through walls. Though this time the detection is super slow and the radius doesn't seem to be as big. Good improvements to the system in my eyes.

yeah not playing any lobbies with that shit enabled, is their any way to counter it, like in KZ2 spot and mark only worked for people you actually saw

I hate wallhacks in every game I've played except for Metal Gear Online, the SOP system made it make sense and it worked very well. There were the skills that lit up the enemy that you shot/shot you for a few seconds, and the Enemy Locators that were very balanced because: they were stationary; the radius was fair; they took the place of your grenades; you only had 2 (3?) per spawn.

The wallhack should only have a radius of about 15ft, it looks to be around 25ft in this.

I think spot and mark also exists, at least I hope. The radial scan is good for CQC and smaller maps. Spot and scan is for proper scanning the battlefield.

These abilities used to be simple but effective and predominantly structured around teamwork. There is less of that now more than ever.

Even if you can edit these out, It's clear from what they are presenting that the main modes will utilize all of these honor badges and ability upgrades. I hope I'm wrong.

I can understand using the radial scan to spot invisible enemies. But I'm not feeling the constant use of it in CQC. I really hope abilities don't 'reset' after you die. That would just make these more annoying. Do it like a MOBA.

Top Bottom