• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall Multiplayer Impressions - PAX Prime

Mik_Pad

Banned
People seem to forget that this wasn't always a 60fps shooter, they basically changed it by all the crying on their forums and twitter and with all the other big fps going 60.. Cod, bf, halo,titanfall ,..

They probably have a lot of work still to get it at a stable 60
And how do you know that?? The SP portion of the game is still 30 fps.

they willhave it at 60. this is the first games of this gen. it will get easier for them to render 60fps when they get a better handling on the hardware.

No. It is not. In the raw feed you see tons of aliasing.. in the snapshot from the 1 gig vid... you do not see much if any (the shot is too blurry to make most edges out).

Its quality is far from perfect.

A perfect raw feed vid would be like 35 GB
Yeah it's compressed. But in motion you can see the distracting flickering and flutter they (dithering and aliassing) cause.
If you know dithering and aliassing, you can tell it's there.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Realize I'm not shitting on this game. I already have it preordered and I like Killzone. I'm just relaying my experiences to you. I will wait in line again tomorrow in hopes that I will play the rainy map.

Yeah it's compressed. But in motion you can see the distracting flickering and flutter they (dithering and aliassing) cause.

oh it is there through the flickering... but I was mainly trying to point out that the image quality makes it extremely hard to notice a dithered sprite or a hard edge from aliasing.

Can you explain honor badges?

How many were there? What were they? Do you pick one, or multiple?

Do you earn it based on kills? Do they last the whole game, or are they like a temporary boost?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, dithering is definitely present in everything we've seen with foliage. AA will likely be on in the single player and but they may have dropped it to hit 60 in MP. Of course, they also could improve before launch.

oh it is there through the flickering... but I was mainly trying to point out that the image quality makes it extremely hard to notice a dithered sprite or a hard edge from aliasing.
Yeah true. But it worried me a bit about how it would look while playing. There is a lot of stuff going on allready in particles and stuff. Dithering and aliassing will make it look messy. I also thought the raindrops stood out in a bad way. Cool that they splash on the floor but the falling raindrops are white & dotted and they add to that dithered distraction.

Oh well,it will probably look pretty darn good when you're trying not to get shot.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No. It is not. In the raw feed you see tons of aliasing.. in the snapshot from the 1 gig vid... you do not see much if any (the shot is too blurry to make most edges out).

Its quality is far from perfect.

A perfect raw feed vid would be like 35 GB
Far from perfect, yes, but you would be able to see aliasing with ease in that 1GB video, if it was that bad in the first place. I was able to see it with ease in a much lower quality E3 video.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
When I played Drive Club recently, there was a lot of aliasing in that game as well. I was a little stunned, considering 30fps.

What is "shadow dithering" exactly?

shadwsufbw.png

sono

I have a ps3. Its great. It has a lot of good games. Few have 60fps and a lot have aliasing. Why do I need a Ps4 if I still get alasing and frame rate issues. Not happy to read the op and drive club issues.

spwolf

I have a ps3. Its great. It has a lot of good games. Few have 60fps and a lot have aliasing. Why do I need a Ps4 if I still get alasing and frame rate issues. Not happy to read the op and drive club issues.

yeah exactly... PS4 games will look like PS3 games, so why upgrade?

Theecliff

Banned
Right. But with all the gorgeous press shots released, I would advise to temper expectations.

Well the game's already made a decent leap visually from the E3 demo to the Gamescom demo, so we'll no doubt see even more improvements as we get closer to launch. Evolution Studios games usually look a lot better at release than when shown at shows - so it'll look closer to the press shots at launch than it does now, at least.

BadAss2961

People assuming a locked 60fps... (face_palm.jpg)

I said it from the start that it's probably not going to happen with those graphics. Expect a variable framerate until confirmed otherwise.

That hardly explains it on my screen.

The term itself refers to what looks like pixelation or uniform looking noise.

It's generally when a form of aliasing or filtering tries to 'soften' a look and ends up adding flecks that aren't soft. Off the top of my head a LOAD of the alpha textures in FFXIII were awful with this (hair especially) as a less power intesive way to make thing transparent. And GTA4's shadows and sometimes it's anti-aliasing solution had the same impact.

Riptwo

The game was fun, the controls were great, and I had a 14 kill streak, so that's a plus. Framerate was a little disappointing in all the ps4 titles that I tried, but we'll see how things go at launch.

One thing that bothered me is that it seemed like every tv at the Sony booth was calibrated incorrectly. It's like they've all got the sharpness cranked as high as it'll go, and it isn't a pretty look.

jobboy

The game was fun, the controls were great, and I had a 14 kill streak, so that's a plus. Framerate was a little disappointing in all the ps4 titles that I tried, but we'll see how things go at launch.

One thing that bothered me is that it seemed like every tv at the Sony booth was calibrated incorrectly. It's like they've all got the sharpness cranked as high as it'll go, and it isn't a pretty look.

what games did you try?

You're right, things don't get better ever, they only get worse!

That was obvious sarcasm, but if you haven't experienced new hardware launches what typically happens is things improve rapidly from launch onward in terms of graphics performance.

Not only are we referring to a launch game, we're referring to a game that isn't finished yet and is being demoed in an early build. Let the game be released before doom and gloom sets it.

Riptwo

do warframe suffer from the same framerate issue??

Warframe definitely hovered around 30 for the time being, but I was still able to jump in and kick ass with minimal time for adjustment.

As for Knack, it was more fun that I thought it would be. It wasn't really on my radar, but it was fun. I'll probably end up picking it up around launch.

Joeki11a

Banned

Jaggies will be in console gaming forever

Forever

spwolf

He said he will get alieasing and framerate issues not games that look like PS3 ones, I can see his point if graphics are not something he cares about.

except that aliasing is part of graphics and that fps situation will be vastly superior to PS3.

So if you care about those two, PS4 is no brainer.

RK9039

Dithering is more obvious and clear in motion. Although it's pretty clear in that Wicther 2 image. Some people might not be too fussed about it, which is fine.

Top Bottom