• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall Multiplayer Impressions - PAX Prime

Blizzje

So I'm rewatching the 1GB clip. What am I looking for when it comes to these aliasing and dithering things? Could anyone explain in simple terms? Thanks.

Solal

It's an old build. They aren't going to promise 60fps if they weren't confident.

As said by others, they just TARGET 60 fps... which is not the same as saying "it will be 60fps at all costs".

Knowing GG history, i woould not hold my breathe on a steady framerate. That has always been KZ's big problem with me (AND the fact that you need two rounds of bullets to kill an ennemy, and the clusterfuck fest)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Assuming this is just an old build as they already targeted 60fps for MP. BUT I would prefer 30FPS locked over a FPS that wildly jumps all over the place if they aren't able to get a consistent 60.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This game is kind of my deciding factor for buying a ps4 close to launch. Between no recoil, a messy framerate, and the possibility of no dedicated servers, I may have to pass this one by. I'm just going to wait to see how it turns out.

Patience is a virtue. You dont HAVE to have the new shiny thing at launch.

ShinMaruku

Most conference demos are designed by side teams aside from the main game months before EA (Most builds are just the E3 Build) so this demo is nowhere near close to where the game is. Also optimization occurs at the ass end not at the beginning or middle.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It really didn't seem aliased at all in that 6 minute gamescom video. It looked far more aliased in the E3 video, so I've assumed they've done something to make things better in the meantime. Maybe PAX still has E3 build?

As said by others, they just TARGET 60 fps... which is not the same as saying "it will be 60fps at all costs".

Knowing GG history, i woould not hold my breathe on a steady framerate. That has always been KZ's big problem with me (AND the fact that you need two rounds of bullets to kill an ennemy, and the clusterfuck fest)

When you say 2 rounds of bullets, do you mean 2 bullets since bullet/round are synonymous, or do you mean 2 full clips? If it takes you 2 clips to take down 1 person, you are doing something very very wrong. It didn't take that many bullets in kz2 or kz3 to kill someone unless you were doing your best impression of Stevie Wonder spray and praying.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I just mean the hud had playstation buttons on it. Means absolutely nothing. The visuals were way too good to be on console. No aliasing, high framerate, etc.

Oh yeah, we know the console version can't look like anything other than shit.

The direct feed footage from Sony's presser site? It's perfect quality...

I'm sorry but the quality was fantastic. If you need higher quality than that to see the aliasing then it's not a big aliasing problem.

It's the 1gb high quality video....it's good enough quality

No. It is not. In the raw feed you see tons of aliasing.. in the snapshot from the 1 gig vid... you do not see much if any (the shot is too blurry to make most edges out).

vlcsnap-2013-08-30-22qglcv.png

Killzone-Shadow-Fall_08-20-13-5.jpg

Its quality is far from perfect.

A perfect raw feed vid would be like 35 GB

Aren't that powerful? I've been pretty damn blown away by what I've seen so far just from launch titles alone.

Oh I agree, I'm impressed by the leap forward from current generation. But I also don't expect these games to be running perfectly smooth at 1080/60fps. It's just funny to see people throw a fit every time a game is running below 60.

Solal

When you say 2 rounds of bullets, do you mean 2 bullets since bullet/round are synonymous, or do you mean 2 full clips? If it takes you 2 clips to take down 1 person, you are doing something very very wrong. It didn't take that many bullets in kz2 or kz3 to kill someone unless you were doing your best impression of Stevie Wonder spray and praying.

It was a hyperbole man... sorry about that.

Just rewatched the 1 GB movie and it looked fine to me. I have a plasma, so I know what dithering looks like, unless the OP is talking about some other kind of dithering. I did notice that when running/moving, the edges go out of focus, but that seems intentional and not all that distracting. Ill have to watch it again at home on my 55" instead of my crap monitor at work.

Facism

He said kill time was fairly long, so i'm taking that as he means it takes a good amount to drop a guy.

Which is wonderful, gives movement a chance to enter the equation.

Jesus!

The game isn't even beta yet.

Stop crying about framerates.

The BF4 alpha framerates on PC sucked too.

You don't see people weeping over that, do you?

Raptor

He said kill time was fairly long, so i'm taking that as he means it takes a good amount to drop a guy.

Which is wonderful, gives movement a chance to enter the equation.

I mean emptying a clip to get a kill is not something I would consider great but he said clip to kill two dudes so not a problem.

Guymelef

No. It is not. In the raw feed you see tons of aliasing.. in the snapshot from the 1 gig vid... you do not see much if any (the shot is too blurry to make most edges out).

Its quality is far from perfect.

A perfect raw feed vid would be like 35 GB

I deleted the video but if a don't remember bad, video bitrate is 20Mbps, that's a lot of compression for a 1080p video.

jobboy

holy shit! i mean if GG have something better than this already done and working better they move to show it, or at least give some clarifications on twitter.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looking forward to hearing what gaffers think of the game. I'm so jealous I can't play it myself.

Most of the time spent at the end of development should be on balancing and gameplay not things that are graphic related.

Most of the time at the end of development is graphics work.

panic-airplane-o.gif

Guys, calm down, it's alright - they've still got some time to work on the game and iron out all the kinks. When the game has gone gold and it still has these technical problems, then you can panic.

People seem to forget that this wasn't always a 60fps shooter, they basically changed it by all the crying on their forums and twitter and with all the other big fps going 60.. Cod, bf, halo,titanfall ,..

They probably have a lot of work still to get it at a stable 60

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
holy shit! i mean if GG have something better than this already done and working better they move to show it, or at least give some clarifications on twitter.

You do know that by the time that playable demos are out in public they're at least a month old, right?

Top Bottom