• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall Multiplayer Impressions - PAX Prime

GrizzNKev

Banned
Looks good to me. Where is the awful frame rate people were talking about?

You're seeing 30 with drops because youtube maxes out at 30. When the game is flying between 30 and 60 and drops below 30 it feels very stuttery and inconsistent.

Game is fun regardless and I believe it will be much better at launch.

skybald

Oh ya for sure, it's going to have alot of customization from what we saw in that MP trailer.

Just nitpicking, I'm just not a fan of giving players to many assists in a competitive mode.

Not everyone plays MP competively, in fact most don't. Options are good.

Wall hack was probably on to keep people from turtling and to keep the matches fast paced since they only get a limited time at the booth.

I'm gonna be so disappointed if this comes out with a highly variable 30-60 framerate just so they can say they're at 60fps to appease sites like GAF.

Please, Guerrilla, just get it running rock solid, even if it's at 30.

Hoje0308

Banned
I have no idea why people are so worked up about a build that, in all likelihood, was put together with three or four months left of development. Myself, I'm being calm and rational by sending a tweet to Eric Boltjes from GG about the state of the build shown at PAX and then hitting refresh every 30 seconds. Yep, calm and cool as a cucumber...

P.S. I can finally post!

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm gonna be so disappointed if this comes out with a highly variable 30-60 framerate just so they can say they're at 60fps to appease sites like GAF.

I don't think they're stupid enough to think that a variable framerate would appease GAF. If they do go that route (doubtful, in my opinion), it would be to lure in casuals with numbers they don't understand being printed on the box next to two or more exclamation points.

VanWinkle

That off-screen video looks incredible, except for the obvious aliasing. Not sure if sharpness is just cranked up on that TV or it's really that bad. Also, I feel like, from watching that video, no aim-assist is a mistake. Dual-analog, no matter how good those sticks are, is not a perfect control scheme for FPS, and it NEEDS some aim-assist. It doesn't need a lot, but a little could go a long way to making it at least somewhat feasible. It looked like that guy was having a horrible time trying to aim at a person.

Does that footage show cover??

Edit: nevermind.

Judging by how quickly you can kill with that pistol, doesn't seem that hipfire will be that big like in K2. Seems Aiming down the sights is a lot easier/common to do than KZ2.

That off-screen video looks incredible, except for the obvious aliasing. Not sure if sharpness is just cranked up on that TV or it's really that bad. Also, I feel like, from watching that video, no aim-assist is a mistake. Dual-analog, no matter how good those sticks are, is not a perfect control scheme for FPS, and it NEEDS some aim-assist. It doesn't need a lot, but a little could go a long way to making it at least somewhat feasible. It looked like that guy was having a horrible time trying to aim at a person.

Person looked like they just sucked.

No auto aim is a good thing. Bring back the skill.

KZObsessed

Video looks really good. Controls look a lil "twitchy" but love the amount of health. Wall hack can die in a fire but being able to alter the amount of health and turn abilities off is just amazing. Want to play this game now.

There are few things you should always look for when watching someone play a FPS: How they move the reticule, how they round corners, how they adjust while ADS, and how quick they are to pick up where bullets are coming from. If 3/4 of those looks stiff, hesitant, or poor in any way, the person is either bad, unfamiliar with the controller, or the game has bad controls. Most of the time, it's one of the first 2, and since we haven't heard of Shadow Fall having control issues, I'd wager lack of aim-assist isn't the issue here. The person wasn't playing very well.

ckohler

That off-screen video looks incredible, except for the obvious aliasing. Not sure if sharpness is just cranked up on that TV or it's really that bad.
I don't see any aliasing. In fact, that video is so highly compressed with blurry compression artifacts and shaky camera work that seeing any aliasing would probably be impossible.

Video looks really good. Controls look a lil "twitchy" but love the amount of health. Wall hack can die in a fire but being able to alter the amount of health and turn abilities off is just amazing. Want to play this game now.

I hope that stupid wallhack is just to counter invisible Recons, and is used just by recon. And at most, it should only be able to be seen by the person using it, and not the whole team.

Additionally, how do you guys feel about the emphasis on ADS?

I really, really will be disappointed if ADS is important. I love Killzone 2's emphasis on firing without aiming-- just pointing your crosshairs, getting in a good position and firing good shots.

I hope that stupid wallhack is just to counter invisible Recons, and is used just by recon. And at most, it should only be able to be seen by the person using it, and not the whole team.

I really, really will be disappointed if ADS is important. I love Killzone 2's emphasis on firing without aiming-- just pointing your crosshairs, getting in a good position and firing good shots.

Based on how much you can customize your weapon it would only make sense to make ADS effective.

Person looked like they just sucked.

No auto aim is a good thing. Bring back the skill.

Every other popular console shooter has it. This is going make the game feel clumsy in comparison. People already complain about the controls in KZ. This won't help. I know you guys only want "hardcore" gamers to play it but all that leads to is empty servers.

madmackem

Frame rate is the past thing that comes with optimisation at the end of development.

Every other popular console shooter has it. This is going make the game feel clumsy in comparison. People already complain about the controls in KZ. This won't help. I know you guys only want "hardcore" gamers to play it but all that leads to is empty servers.

I hate auto aim so I have to disagree. Dumbs down the game and competition...

KZObsessed

ADS focus is expected these days and it was always gonna be ADS heavy unfortunately. Personally though I don't mind an ADS focus as long as "hip firing" is still a viable option. And from the SP footage it looks like it can still be very effective. I like having to make choices in gun fights on what's the best course of action. It's those kind of slit second decisions that give gunplay it's depth in MP shooters. Games where it's just a case of who gets the jump on whom or who points and presses R1 fastest wins, for me, although may be considered more "realistic", is just boring.

Recoil is another significant factor, having to control recoil in a frantic gun fight requires another level of skill and calm which again for me adds depth. That's why I love KZ2 so much. I still remember a moment where I entered a small room on Blood Gracht and walked into 4 enemies facing me, I crouched to control the recoil and managed to drop all 4 because I remained calm and they flailed about firing madly. I also got lucky and a bullet pinged off due to the spread and headshotted one of them. Reminded me of the movie Unforgiven where Clint Eastwood could take out an entire room becuase everyone else panics, shoots quickly and he takes his time :p

So yeah I'm not hopeful KZ:SF is going to have any significant recoil despite their twitter claims of balancing the weapons, but I'm just going with the flow at the moment and see what GG creates. But for me, a shooter cannot be fun or competitive without some signficant recoil on the weapons and a significant difference between one weapon and another so hopefully they do the right thing. But I understand there's more pressure on GG than ever to create a really popular FPS so I'm gonna give them a break. If KZ:SF is no longer for me then I'll just have to wait for another dev to make a game that ties with my tastes. Battlefield is probably my second choice but the objectives just aren't as fun as Killzones Warzone so it always fails to grab me for long. A few people have recommended me some PC shooters/mods (forgotten which now) which I might like so I could always go back to my PC gaming roots which I guess is long overdue.

Yeah the wallahck I just don't get. I can understand in theory wanting to know the enemies positions of course, but it ruins it. It's like looking at someones screen during a slitcreen Golden Eye N64 session, yeah you're always tempted but the games no fun if you do. :p They could offer some semblance of balance by having it give you're position away to every enemiy when used but still, I'm gonna ban it from every game I make/host and just needs to be removed quite frankly. Overall it offers nothing. The Spot & Mark ability in KZ2 was perfect for countering snipers and didn't break the game, it's completely unecessary. It also looked like the Assault class activated it from that video, might be mistaken. They also look very slow moving so maybe they're the defensive class and won't be able to use it to roam the map and reveal everyones position all the time. I guess if they're really slow and just sit defending the objectives it might make sense and will encourage some defensive play but I dont know, we'll see.

Horp

i am having hard time understanding how come someone working in the game industry doesnt realize all the problems engineers have to face when they have to do these show demos... it is logistic nightmare as you create separate demo code and then have to update it with latest buggy code teams send in. its not like it doesn't happen every time game is being shipped. literally nobody finishes the major game, especially for new platform, months before game is done.

so i am having hard time believing you actually work on engineering side.. do you work in marketing or something similar to that?

I dont even think you have read my posts. Of course it can be an engineering nightmare. Never said anything about that. Read my posts again.

I was and am a graphics programmer.

Horp

As a developer you should also know that optimization is one of the very last things you do in a dev cycle. Doing it early is a waste of time. The only major exception is that if the performance is sooooo bad, it is hindering your development/testing.

Sure you will. Profile the code and work on the hot spots.
You will sort out some kinks yes. But damnit people read my posts; to get their game to stable 60 would require a big rework of their rendering engine. Not even removing things or cutting back on some effects will do, they would need a drastically different engine to go from 20-drops to stable 60.

And optimizing rendering is def. not always the last thing to do. Tweaking, balancing and bug fixing is however almost always the last things to do.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't understand what they are going for here. No recoil + Very slow and immobile characters = wtf.
They said they're going to be adding in recoil. In the six minute version some of the guns (shotguns and LMGs) seem to have it while ARs and SMGs don't seem to have it implemented yet.

They said they're going to be adding in recoil. In the six minute version some of the guns (shotguns and LMGs) seem to have it while ARs and SMGs don't seem to have it implemented yet.

It's worrisome that weapon balance is being performed a month before the game goes gold.

It's worrisome that weapon balance is being performed a month before the game goes gold.

Two months.

And who are we to judge what priorities they're placing in terms of their development timeline? Some studios can create a very polished slice even at very early stages of development ( Irrational : Bioshock Infinite ), whereas studios like Evolution pretty much has a crappy looking game @35%.

Guerilla is also not showing any signs that they're behind schedule, considering their 2nd-team ( new IP ) is doing its own thing and not being asked to lend their resources to crunch Shadow Fall. ( interview @ Polygon stated that the SF-team will join-up with the new-IP team once they've finished up SF. )

That wallhack needs to GTFO of my Killzone. Oh, well- I'd imagine it will be the first thing people uncheck when they set up their custom server.

GrizzNKev

Banned
It seems you're ramping up to become the scandal-master of PAX with both this thread and the BF4 one. Gameplay impressions: serious business.

Just having a bit of fun, you know. Being honest too. I can't imagine what would happen if I mentioned how awesome Driveclub was.

And I still have 3 days to go. Thanks GAF bingo! Giving back to the community <3

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Looks like cover system is in for multiplayer. Nice.

Only thing I can make out visually is that the lighting is great and the colors really seem to pop.

I expect this game is going to have a major day 1 patch and that they will also probably be pulling a lot of people off of the new IP to get this ready for launch. GG has about 250 people at the main studio divided between SF and the new IP. They've got work to do but everything they've shown recently looks promising.

ToyBroker

Banned

Is it?

Most that stuff is literally swapping some numbers around on the gun stats. And it's not like they are CoD in the number of weapons department.

Seems like significant progress could be made in an afternoon of work.

Top Bottom