• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: Young Generation of Nintendo Developers to Lead Forefront of NX and Mobile

Ridley327

I would definitely like to see them give more billing and prominence to their studio names and developers outside of Miyamoto. That's definitely one area they fucked up over the years.

Iwata did begin try to rectify with the Iwata Asks series, but I think that's just how the corporate culture was for Nintendo in the Yamauchi era. I almost wonder if Miyamoto becoming such a big face for the studios was something that Yamauchi consciously wanted to have happen.

Neoxon

The Wii U & the 3DS gave us some fantastic games, but I'm glad Nintendo's moving on from them in more ways than one concerning the NX Platform. Here's to a new era of Nintendo.

I really like Takahashi. He seems to have generally good ideas and has experience working with foreign teams and outside developers on heaps of projects.

Eguchi is kinda eh to me to be honest but he does have a decent track record.

Regarding giving developers more visibility I was thinking the other day they may have more developers introducing or explaining games in Directs in the future rather than just Kimihsima/Morimoto. At least when it comes to Japanese Directs, anyway.

EDIT: Hopefully they can move on from Wii/DS era franchises that haven't done well this generation. Looking at you Brain Training, Wii Fit, Nintendogs, Fossil Fighters, and so on.

Does this mean Miyamoto no longer gets to shoot down the ideas for a game without needless gimmicks and neutering of stories? Love the guy, but damn does he get in the way sometimes.

Ridley327

Does this mean Miyamoto no longer gets to shoot down the ideas for a game without needless gimmicks and neutering of stories? Love the guy, but damn does he get in the way sometimes.

I think that both Miyamoto and Takeda are focused on the new ventures these days. I think that it's been said that Miyamoto is having a big hand in their amusement park plans with Universal.

Nanashrew

Banned
I really like Takahashi. He seems to have generally good ideas and has experience working with foreign teams and outside developers on heaps of projects.

Regarding giving developers more visibility I was thinking the other day they may have more developers introducing or explaining games in Directs in the future rather than just Kimihsima/Morimoto. At least when it comes to Japanese Directs, anyway.

They could still do a dub/sub over for NoA and NoE. They do it for Sakurai and have done it for other's like Miyamoto as well in the past.

Instro

Iwata did begin try to rectify with the Iwata Asks series, but I think that's just how the corporate culture was for Nintendo in the Yamauchi era. I almost wonder if Miyamoto becoming such a big face for the studios was something that Yamauchi consciously wanted to have happen.

Iwata asks is definitely nice, but they really should think about giving their internal teams actual names and placing that in the opening splash screen for their games and trailers like they've done for Monolith and Retro.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That's right. Get rid of all the old people. They can't even walk. They're a liability.
brock-lesnar-throws-zach-gowen-down-the-stairs-o.gif

Iwata asks is definitely nice, but they really should think about giving their internal teams actual names and placing that in the opening splash screen for their games and trailers like they've done for Monolith and Retro.

Because the internal teams, beside the upper level creatives like director and lead designer, don't really exist and instead share developers would it really make sense to give them team names?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Eguchi is actually the closest thing to a hybrid Miyamoto / Tezuka. Koizumi is the more rebellious one. Koizumi likes more "hardcore games" and "narratives / cool concepts".

I think this would involve having internal teams be defined more stringently, which doesn't really benefit anyone.

Separation now is mostly based on geography.

Nanashrew

Banned

Something to remember back in the 80's developers couldn't even put their own names into the credits of their own games. Nintendo pushed for developers to be noticed and put their biggest stars to the forefront and have a public presence like Miyamoto.

I imagine it's ingrained into their culture since those times.

Kimishima getting lots of credit but I imagine most of these plans were set in motion toward the end of Iwata's time as CEO.

As for Miyamoto being promoted so much during the 80s and 90s I think it had a long term negative effect because it meant that Nintendo fans would need a game to have some sort of attachment to him to be worth getting excited for, even to the point of near parody with stuff like Luigis Mansion 2. Spreading promo around to more developers will hopefully reverse that.

Eguchi is actually the closest thing to a hybrid Miyamoto / Tezuka. Koizumi is the more rebellious one. Koizumi likes more "hardcore games" and "narratives / cool concepts".

It is my dislike of Tezuka probably biasing me towards Eguchi.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I hope that they would insert new refreshing flavors into the games that we would enjoy with our future generations. Hopefully Nintendo would be around for long time as possible!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Pleased the terrible "why would we make a new IP" blockade of Miyamoto is hopefully now pushed aside for good and not "that one special case every 15 years".

Malus

If games like Splatoon are what we should expect going forward, then I'm all in.

Eh, I certainly don't expect them to just start churning out Splatoons on a regular basis, but in terms of more new IPs then yeah hopefully.

Alebrije

After see Miyamotos's Project Giant Robot at E3 , I am glad he moved to a new sphere and young fresh people will develop for the NX hardware/software.

giantrobotu.jpg

Ridley327

Something to remember back in the 80's developers couldn't even put their own names into the credits of their own games. Nintendo pushed for developers to be noticed and put their biggest stars to the forefront and have a public presence like Miyamoto.

That's a fair statement, but I'd be willing to bet that most people didn't even know who Gunepi Yokoi was or what he did until his death, and he was just as influential as Miyamoto was with the added benefit of being that man's mentor. It's a similar thing with Sakurai, who didn't really enter a lot of orbits until he went freelance.

Vena

That's a fair statement, but I'd be willing to bet that most people didn't even know who Gunepi Yokoi was or what he did until his death, and he was just as influential as Miyamoto was with the added benefit of being that man's mentor. It's a similar thing with Sakurai, who didn't really enter a lot of orbits until he went freelance.

Sakurai went prominent because Iwata put him front and center as the center point of Smash development/personality/identity.

Heck, all of these restructuring transitions and the bringing forward of the new blood, was started under Iwata. Kimishima is carrying it out along with Miyamoto and Takeda as they now share the power over the company unlike previously where Iwata effectively held all key positions along with friends on the board.

Lavashak

Banned
Yoshiaki Koizumi may be the single most talented person in video games today. I'm happy he is being recognized and given this opportunity.

Just read his bio:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshiaki_Koizumi

Z-Targeting, spherical platforming, Koholint Island, the time system in MM, and I'm sure, many more cool things. The man is a pioneer.

That's amazing! I had no idea that he's the one responsible for some of my favorite aspects of these games. The future of Nintendo is in good hands.

Instro

Because the internal teams, beside the upper level creatives like director and lead designer, don't really exist and instead share developers would it really make sense to give them team names?

Of course, but people only care about the team heads, and this is all a perception thing anyway. I don't think giving them proper team names doesn't mean they can't continue the usual shuffle of team members.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Sakurai went prominent because Iwata put him front and center as the center point of Smash development/personality/identity.

Sakurai was an independent contractor, so basically he got have a twitter and speak freely without being worried about company policy. Nintendo game directors can't really show you their personality or call people "fukheads" on twitter for cool points.

koutoru

With Miyamoto stepping down from hardware development last year, it was evident that Miyamoto (and probably Nintendo in general) though it was time for a bit of new blood in leadership.

Is Koizuma's role that different from before? While he assistant directed SM64 and directed SMS and SMG. He moved into a producer role after SMG and overlooked all of EAD Tokyo's releases. Kinda looks like he will be doing the same thing now except he may have more control over what games they are making.

With Miyamoto stepping down from hardware development last year, it was evident that Miyamoto (and probably Nintendo in general) though it was time for a bit of new blood in leadership.

He was always announcing his future retirement among the relatively newer staff so they could learn how to operate in a future without him, after all.

Is Koizuma's role that different from before? While he assistant directed SM64 and directed SMS and SMG. He moved into a producer role after SMG and overlooked all of EAD Tokyo's releases. Kinda looks like he will be doing the same thing now except he may have more control over what games they are making.

Before the promotion he was overseeing projects. Now he has active influence on whether they can become games.

Ansatz

Hopefully they can move on from Wii/DS era franchises that haven't done well this generation. Looking at you Brain Training, Wii Fit, Nintendogs, Fossil Fighters, and so on.

Yeah. Those gamers won't buy a dedicated gaming hardware for premium priced software, but the question is if the other traditional franchises that were influenced by the expanded audience will go back to their pre Wii/DS roots.

I mean is it necessary to continue the NSMB style of 2D Mario? I always figured the safe/clean approach was to make the game more inviting and less daunting to casual gamers. Now that they're gone, there's no reason not to go all out production value wise and experiment with interesting environments, like what DKC TF does.

Alebrije

I remember that Activision did the same at the Atari 2600 era, most of people from Activision were programmers that worked for Atari. Atari never recognized their work and they created Activision

On most of Activision game you could find a short story about the guy that did the game including his picture.

PtM

Banned
Yokoi had always been a known figure.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Miyamoto has been eyeing the public space for over a decade. Some of his more passionate projects where a bunch of Japan only " Nintendo DS in Public Spaces" and "Nintendo DS in Classrooms". Moving over to theme parks and other types of cross-entertainment ventures have been peaking his interest for a long time.

PtM

Banned
It will come the time when you guys bashing Shiggy now will lament that missing Miyamoto touch.

Actual president, chertipros.

Is Kimishima Nintendo's actual president now or is it just an interim position?

Whem Kimishima remarked about him doing his best while being in place as president for the year, it was meant to mean that he would need the approval of the board to retain presidency after that year.

It just means he'll have to work hard to keep the job.

Top Bottom