• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: Young Generation of Nintendo Developers to Lead Forefront of NX and Mobile

gamerMan

For such a conservative business, this is pretty amazing. I hope they do away with franchises all together.

I hope that we have developers that work outside the confines of a traditional Nintendo game with cutesy characters. I would love to see Nintendo branch out as they have the best developers in the world. Not everything has to be cartoony.

Neoxon

For such a conservative business, this is pretty amazing. I hope they do away with franchises all together.

I hope that we have developers that work outside the confines of a traditional Nintendo game with cutesy characters. I would love to see Nintendo branch out as they have the best developers in the world. Not everything has to be cartoony.
That'd be asking for too much, like asking Disney to ditch Mickey Mouse or for DC to ditch Batman.

People in here really thinking Nintendo is going to start making gritty, realistic open world AAA Hollywood-esque games?

Lord I hope not. Nevertheless, exciting times.

Glorious young Nintendo developers, leading us to the golden age of online shooters and open world games that the market craves.

People in here really thinking Nintendo is going to start making gritty, realistic open world AAA Hollywood-esque games?

Lord I hope not.

Gritty? Nah. But Zelda is already going open world, and Splatoon is Nintendo's first entry in the AAA online multiplayer low TTK fast respawn shooter with endless progression systems.

If Nintendo wants to make games that appeal to young people, they need to be in genres young people want to buy

Ansatz

Wasn't Splatoon made by the younger folk? This is great news! I love the old dudes, but they often get in the way with some of the franchises. A younger folk means a more modern Nintendo.

People love bringing up Splatoon, but if Nintendo's development teams focus on creating new IPs and fresh concepts then who will make the next

3D Mario
2D Mario
Zelda
Smash Bros.
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Fire Emblem
Kirby

and so on. There is always a team working on the next iteration of popular Nintendo franchises, and usually those are their top teams to ensure quality. The Zelda team is always working on the next Zelda game, so where is the room for a "Splatoon" type of game from them?? So what you're really saying is Nintendo should expand their teams or rest their main franchises, it's very much an either or situation.

Dugna

So they're letting the younger generation try more stuff out while still being under the guidance of the vets? This just sounds like basic logic for a company to do....

Yeah. Those gamers won't buy a dedicated gaming hardware for premium priced software, but the question is if the other traditional franchises that were influenced by the expanded audience will go back to their pre Wii/DS roots.

I mean is it necessary to continue the NSMB style of 2D Mario? I always figured the safe/clean approach was to make the game more inviting and less daunting to casual gamers. Now that they're gone, there's no reason not to go all out production value wise and experiment with interesting environments, like what DKC TF does.

I partially agree, but I think that even now looking at the sales on Wii U and 3DS you could still make the argument that those 'clean and safe' titles remain popular (50% of Wii U's top 10 contains Mario characters, 40% if you want to discount Nintendo Land). However, it is interesting to note that while the Mario Kart franchise saw a big bump in relative budget between Wii and Wii U, NSMB remained largely the same (probably at least partially a factor of being a launch game, but still). I imagine, though perhaps wishful thinking, the the NSMB aesthetic is going to finished with following SMM.

What I would really like to see is more genre diversity. 2D platformers are fun but they're spinning the plates on about 6 or 7 different franchises at the moment whereas other genres they used to produce (especially racing games) have been reduced down to one franchise. I'd argue we also don't need three different "party" style games, anymore, and that ND Cube could do something more interesting with their time.

Nanashrew

Banned
I would like to hear them do the same at NOA, maybe they can get better western support. 1st party-3rd party.

I think the difference there is that NoA isn't given as much autonomy so new or old employees can't do much. What needs to be done is allow for NoE and NoA to have some more autonomy, seek out studios, some growth so they could also create their own western studios too.

Haunted

Well, "young". The new software managers are all pushing 50 and are greatly respected designers/directors/producers that have been with the company for 25+ years.

Still, certainly younger than the old guard.

Let's hope this changing of the guard will lead to the rejuvenation Nintendo needs to thrive during the next generation.

GamerJM

Banned
Exciting, especially if we see more stuff along the lines of Splatoon, especially in terms of design and content philosophy.

PensOwl

Banned
Glorious young Nintendo developers, leading us to the golden age of online shooters and open world games that the market craves.

Gritty? Nah. But Zelda is already going open world, and Splatoon is Nintendo's first entry in the AAA online multiplayer low TTK fast respawn shooter with endless progression systems.

If Nintendo wants to make games that appeal to young people, they need to be in genres young people want to buy

I await the inevitable pokemon moba

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Does this means more innovative and fun game like Splatoon? i've only played it for a couple of days but I am having a lot of fun with it.

Lord I hope not. Nevertheless, exciting times.

I dont think anyone in this thread think that at all.

Wow, Kimishima is really teasing the NX, isn't he?

Splatoon was the best thing to happen to Nintendo in years. If we can get more of that, and fewer platformers and party games, that'd be something to behold.

Thank heavens. It's time for new blood to step in who knows what they're doing so that Nintendo can be relevant in the console space again.

Yukinari

Hopefully this means miyamoto can keep his dirty hands off people's projects.

Came here to post this. We need less shoehorning of motion control and stupid ideas into beloved franchises. Miyamoto should stick to Pikmin since thats clearly what he excels at.

Davey Cakes

I am absolutely not surprised by this.

Nintendo are thinking the same thing we've all been thinking for a while; that the young guns truly mark the future of the company. They need their time in the spotlight, and have proven they have the chops.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nintendo are thinking the same thing we've all been thinking for a while; that the young guns truly mark the future of the company. They need their time in the spotlight, and have proven they have the chops.

There also comes a point that it isn't safe to keep spotlighting one 63 year old man as your star video game creator.

Did Miyamoto help create and teach the team that went on to make Splatoon?

Do you honesty really think he interferes in everything?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Now Koizumi won't have to sneak things past Miyamoto! Seriously though I hope he's in a position now that can bring out their Tokyo offices even more, and maybe even have more to show than just Mario. It's a shame he never got to make more original software as a director, but maybe he can arrange for original software from younger talent.

Mashing

I've very happy with this news. I've been wanted Nintendo to pass the torch to their younger generation developers for some time now. Fresh blood and new ideas in game development can only be a good thing.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
drop the mobile part and I would be 100% for this, unless mobile is just being used as all encompassing for handhelds in this case.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Did Miyamoto help create and teach the team that went on to make Splatoon?

Do you honesty really think he interferes in everything?
the gameplay first philosphy that the splatoon team used was something specifcally taught to them by miyamoto

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
the gameplay first philosphy that the splatoon team used was something specifcally taught to them by miyamoto

It's kind of a departmental reinforcement more than a "taught philosophy". Mechanic prototype comes first from programmer and planner, then production staff is added (artist, "writers", sound).

Although Miyamoto did allow his developers to stray from that formula during the Famicom Disk with those Famicom Folk Tale games.

Peltz

Now Koizumi won't have to sneak things past Miyamoto! Seriously though I hope he's in a position now that can bring out their Tokyo offices even more, and maybe even have more to show than just Mario. It's a shame he never got to make more original software as a director, but maybe he can arrange for original software from younger talent.

His software is original in all but name. But yea, I wonder what he'd do with total free rein and resources at his disposal.

Ninjimbo

It's just going to be business as usual. I just hope Takahashi knows how to push the right buttons when it comes to Nintendo churning out games.

About Koizumi, wasn't he already the de-facto head of Nintendo Tokyo? I always assumed he ran the place and that all the games went through him for approval.

Imagine if Code Name Steam was also a success. I imagine that still has them a bit hesitant but Splatoon's success certainly helped.

Doing away with Mario and Zelda is silly. But creating new franchises? That's smarter. Allows them to reach newer audiences and keep the old ones interested

This is needed. I respect Miyamoto immensely, but he's long past the point of relevance to any youbger gamer. Splatoon was the perfect melding of Nintendo's unique design philosophies with today's popular trends... If Nintendo can get their younger developers to spark that game's creativity throughout all its games we could be looking at something very special forming.

Ok.

This is the best news I heard from Nintendo for a very, very long time. About damn time, really, for young blood to take control of it. Iwata, Miyamoto and Takeda had way too much concetrated power around themsalves lately and were out of touch. This was proven toxic as Nintendo was loosing market share, third-party support and diversification of genres and ages on it's ecosystem.

I'm feeling optimistic for this new Nintendo direction.

Top Bottom