• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima's new game will be published by Sony, is also coming to PC, not Silent Hill

Durante

Question for those who play on PC mainly but own consoles as well. If a game is a timed exclusive on a console do you play it on that console or do you wait (usually 6months or more except RotTR) and just play it on PC?
I'll almost always wait for the PC version - with perhaps one exception every 5 years if my hype reaches stratospheric levels. I have a backlog that will take me roughly a lifetime to complete, so I'm generally in no hurry.

What's annoying is if a game is announced as an exclusive, so I buy it on that platform, and then it's ported later anyway. Like ME1 or FF13 last gen. So I'm happy that there's now the "console exclusive" code word to tell me I needn't bother.

fantomena

His studio was officially formed yesterday and the game probably hasn't had any development take place yet. I doubt they've hired everyone they need to. Do you want them to disclose everything about the game already?!

We can discuss what he might wanna make based from his own interests instead of all this PC vs PS vs Xbox crap.

jmaine_ph

Depends on who much i want this game.

Nier: Automata, the sequel to my favorite game of all time, i'll definetely be playing on PS4, even if a PC-Port would follow a month later.

For GTAV on the other hand i had no issue waiting 2 years.
Wow 2 years? Couldn't be me. I'm right there with you though for games that are my favorites ill get them wherever they come out first. I'm assuming you are not a big fan of GTA?

Kolx

The contract being only about the first title even tho Kojima said it'll result in a series is heavily implying the IP isn't owned by Sony right?

All Metal Gear games as well as Metal Gear Solid 1 + 2 and V released on MSX/PC.

He litereally started developing PC games a decade before playstation games.

Right, so were people upset when MGS3 and MGS4 were exclusive (MGS3 later wasn't)? Or is this just a feeling of entitlement after MGSV came to the platform?

Isn't Siren even smaller than Fatal Frame though?

I actually have no idea considering the last game was episodic and all with disc release only in JP/EU after the fact. It just would be fitting to realize the Silent Hills project under the IP that was basically a spinoff of that anyway.

Plus I just really want any excuse to have Toyama be another master behind the project if only as a consultant. Even more legit than what Silent Hills could have been.

jmaine_ph

I'll almost always wait for the PC version - with perhaps one exception every 5 years if my hype reaches stratospheric levels. I have a backlog that will take me roughly a lifetime to complete, so I'm generally in no hurry.

What's annoying is if a game is announced as an exclusive, so I buy it on that platform, and then it's ported later anyway. Like ME1 or FF13 last gen. So I'm happy that there's now the "console exclusive" code word to tell me I needn't bother.

Ahhh I never thought about the frustration on that end about not knowing if a PC port is coming and you end up buying twice or something like that.

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
It's confirmed by a Sony employee in the OP.

It's not official PR if that is what you mean.

If it is a true rumor, the OP sure didn't label it as such.

Doesn't get more official. This was sent from the Director of PR for immediate distribution.

Elixist

companies used to love dancing around the truth with exclusive terminology. it is cool of sony to be up front a bit, "yes its coming to pc later".

RootCause

They didn't even keep the proper name of Silent Hill with that Silent Hills name. They can change it to whatever the hell they want. I just hope they don't pull a Bungie where they complain about making Halo in servitude and then go and make a sci fi FPS. I want to see something different.
Can you imagine if he makes a metal gear like game. :p
I mean, I won't complain since I love that kind of gameplay, but I'm sure there will be a lot of people disappointed.
I just hope he's able to create something he's really passionate about. Not even sure what I want at this moment.

Beefy

The contract being only about the first title even tho Kojima said it'll result in a series is heavily implying the IP isn't owned by Sony right?

I reckon it depends on sales etc. I could see Sony producing sequels if it goes well.

Maxximo

Question for those who play on PC mainly but own consoles as well. If a game is a timed exclusive on a console do you play it on that console or do you wait (usually 6months or more except RotTR) and just play it on PC?

If I know that there is a PC version coming soon I usually wait for it to release.

If there is no PC version planned and/or the game as few to no chances(eg Bloodborne) to release on PC I go console without remorse.

Hektor

Right, so were people upset when MGS3 and MGS4 were exclusive (MGS3 later wasn't)? Or is this just a feeling of entitlement after MGSV came to the platform?

i was just pointing out the thing with him having a history with "playstation" and not one with pc, because people tend to have this misconception rather often.

Wow 2 years? Couldn't be me. I'm right there with you though for games that are my favorites ill get them wherever they come out first. I'm assuming you are not a big fan of GTA?

Yep, i like GTA, but i just don't like it so much.

jaaz

For me, it depends on 1) the time between releases on the console / PC platforms and 2) the nature of the title. If it's a simultaneous release, I will almost always get it on PC, unless it's that type of game that just should be played on consoles. The latter is hard for me to explain, but there are some games that just feel right on consoles. For example, GTA. I know it looks better on PC, blah, blah, but I can't imagine playing GTA on anything other than a console--and a PS console at that. Too many memories I suppose.

so last gen people got angry when ms was moneyhatting certain projects, and this gen, people love sony for moneyhatting sf5 and this new thing.

am i missing something?

great to hear that kojima found a new home/found a new studio.

Microsoft's moneyhat pretty much detrimental to the growth of the Japanese console market as it enabled Mobiles to take over Japan's gaming industry and killed off many potential JRPGs...

Durante

companies used to love dancing around the truth with exclusive terminology. it is cool of sony to be up front a bit, yes its coming to pc later.
Yeah, I have to agree with this.

It's nice to see Sony making an attempt to use terminology consistently.

The only one which annoys me a bit is "Console Debut", since it doesn't give me any idea about whether a given game will end up on PC. (While a full exclusive obviously won't and a "Console Exclusive" will)

cheezcake

Always wait, it just ends up being more enjoyable. Waiting on RoTR right now, waited for GTA V, waited for DS2.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i think it's time console gamers got a safe space on GAF where they can get excited about new releases without being reminded of the comparative technical inadequacies of their preferred platform.

Maxximo

GTA was the exeption i could not force myself to play it on 360 or ps3. When that game came out those systems were alredy obsolete.

Grief.exe

Hopefully with this announcement, the word choice will become more mainstream. Can we actually discuss the sheer amount of games that were PS4/PC at PSX now?

That was the most PC-friendly conference I have ever seen, without mentioning the platform by name obviously. PC is like that embarrassing family member everyone dances around mentioning at Thanksgiving.

The only one which annoys me a bit is "Console Debut", since it doesn't give me any idea about whether a given game will end up on PC. (While a full exclusive obviously won't and a "Console Exclusive" will)

I think it's possible the developers/publishers aren't even sure if they are doing a PC version on these cases. It's just a blanket statement that it could happen.

Like I can honestly believe Level 5 has no clue if they are going to release NNK2 on PC or not.

Kezen

Banned

Even if I owned any console I would always wait for the PC version provided it has been confirmed. I'd rather experience the game to its fullest potential.

I could wait at times, but sometimes I really can't if it's my really favorite franchise.
You can also get the answer from this question: 'Why would you buy a remaster of a game that you've previously owned/played?'

companies used to love dancing around the truth with exclusive terminology. it is cool of sony to be up front a bit, "yes its coming to pc later".

Yes, I highly respect Sony for doing this.
We really don't need ambiguous terms for exclusivity.

cheezcake

Games being multiplat should always be viewed as a good thing, the sooner the gaming community moves away from idolising individual platforms the better.

Spaghetti

good move to put it on PC too. his games sell on the platform well, and there's enough name recognition that he could get a lot of exposure even without the metal gear solid branding.

who wants to take bets they'll be using UE4?

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.

Or maybe Sony made a contract where they have the rights to the game but it want's to see how the first one performs before committing to pay for a series.

I think that the order might be a similar case to this. Where if the game exploded RAD would be making at lest 2 more sequels.

What tells me that the ip not belongs to Sony is that a pc version will be released and Sony doesn't have a precedent of publishing their ips outside of Playstation platforms (and mobile).

I think a "console debut" is for the cases where the game could appear on other consoles and Pc.

I don't think any of this terminologies are a given for other versions, it's just that the possibility of other ports are in the developers hands, as the contract doesn't block it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wait for PC version for the most part. If it's something I feel bad want to play immediately I'd probably grab it then double dip on PC.

I imagine "console debut" is about games that are still in negotiation and all they can confirm is timed exclusivity.

Ivan

So this thread about great news is a pc superiority /pc vs ps4 thread now. Great.

PC doesn't even need a big entity behind itself to push it, it has all the support it could ever need in every thread on every single forum on the Internet.

And now on neogaf too, big time.

It used to be different here... :(

Console gamers can answer this too now that remasters are here to stay...

Would you buy the latest offering of your favourite series if it were released toward the end of PS4's life, or would you wait for the highly probable PS5/XB2 remaster?

I know I'm glad I didn't wait for The Last of Us Remastered or PS4 GTAV.

Top Bottom