• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Crytek Not Paying Staff On Time, Ryse Sequel Dropped

Dabanton

Well, if you're going to snobbishly insist on distributing through Origin rather than Steam, that is your comeuppance.

Sorry for the staffers, though.

How is it 'snobbish' to distribute their games though Origin?

Some of you Steam zealots are on another planet I swear.

dmr87

B-b-b-but.

Crytek said:
"Regardless of what some media are reporting, mostly based on a recent article published by GameStar, the information in those reports and in the GameStar article itself are rumors which Crytek deny.

"We continue to focus on the development and publishing of our upcoming titles Homefront: The Revolution, Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age, Arena of Fate, and Warface, as well as providing ongoing support for our CryEngine and its licensees.

"We have received a lot of positive feedback during and after E3 from both gaming press and gamers, and would like to thank our loyal employees, fans and business partners for their continuous support."

Lemmy

Banned
Ryse is no loss to the world but I seriously have nothing but sympathy for the staff affected. Hope they get what they're owed and get better jobs elsewhere soon if things at Crytek are truly as shitty as they appear to be.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
This whole thing feels like... The internet stopped caring about what's going on in Naughty Dog and started doing it with Crytek.

MadGear

Why is it that CryEngine could never shape up to be a serious UnrealEngine competitor? Tools, Pricing, Support or are the advantages just so minor that most devs simply stick with the Engine they are already comfortable with?

It's sad, but i cant pity Crytek. With their failed focus on Free2Play and imo lackluster bigger titles they just don't deserve to go unharmed. But i sure hope that this doesn't mean the end for Crytek,

Rumblings of Crytek's troubles started this weekend, but my story has a ton of details you won't find anywhere else, based on extensive conversations with 10+ current and former employees over the past few weeks.

Do you get the impression that the problems are extensive enough that the company might go under in the near future (within the next couple of years)?

jett

D-Member
Welp.

Devs aren't adopting CE and their own games don't sell very well (or are very good either). What else is supposed to happen?

Nibel

According to Jason's article, even the employees themselves think that Crytek's current F2P approach is bullshit, and yes - they would have been better off with targeting the PC audience; tons of PC-only devs making a shitload of money currently for legit reasons.

And that bit with the Yerlis driving Ferraris while not paying their employees is brutal.

Honestly, Crytek hasn't done anything well in a decade. Crysis was always a poor resource manger, hence all the memes. The Consolized Crysis games never met anyone's expectations and turned off the PC crowd to the company entirely. Ryse was a big misstep IMO, and maybe their last. Mediocre game on a console struggling for good press. I understand that Cryengine licenses aren't selling well?

How many mistakes and poor decisions can be made before it's all over? They've been trending downward for a long, long time.

KHlover

Banned
Didn't pay employees in three months? That wasn't in Germany, was it? SOMEONE would have told the press and you'd have a pretty big shitstorm loooong before now. That's illegal as shit and I don't think Crytek would have been able to keep it secret.

BigDug13

I wonder if anything would have been different if Ryse had been released as a Kinect game on 360 a year or two ago like originally planned.

That's a shame. Ryse has a lot of potential.

Well, if you're going to snobbishly insist on distributing through Origin rather than Steam, that is your comeuppance.

Sorry for the staffers, though.
How is that snobbish? Would it not also be snobbish if they decided to distribute through Steam rather than Origin? It can't be one and not the other because
neither are snobbish

LTWheels

It's too early to be this drunk, pal. Plus it's Tuesday

That's a good one though. Had me for a second

Why not? DmC was a good action game. Gives NT a chance to make another, without it having the shadow of the DMC games hanging over its neck.

Zia

Crytek is one of the biggest, most blunderous sellouts in the industry's short history and Cevat Yerli is and always was full of shit.

Ryse 2 not happening, eh can't say I am disappointed.

I will miss the visual excellence they were capable of as a studio but thats about it.

la_briola

Didn't pay employees in three months? That wasn't in Germany, was it? SOMEONE would have told the press and you'd have a pretty big shitstorm loooong before now. That's illegal as shit and I don't think Crytek would have been able to keep it secret.

It was in eastern Europe, afaik.

Oppo

JoJo how did you resist calling the article Crytek Am Cry

I mean, it's right there. practically impossible to resist.

gallows humour aside, this certainly looks bad. their whole WarFace thing fell flat. ok ok I'm done now

shades of Factor 5

Welp.

Devs aren't adopting CE and their own games don't sell very well (or are very good either). What else is supposed to happen?

When we started hearing about PS4 and Xbox One, they took a bizarre stance of ignoring PS4 altogether, not even mentioning PS4 in an interview they did with GT IIRC?!

No one cares about Cry Engine now, I was actually surprised when I saw "everyone goes to rapture" was using it

wapplew

Why you need the IP, that name doesn't sell copy.
Just hire someone to do another historical hack and slash.

crinale

At first I thought their engine may have earned a good amount of money.
However, maybe the competition might have forced them to lower the price or something?
I thought about it because I just remembered Epic lowered the price of Unreal Engine, to compete with Unity and such.

jschreier

Do you get the impression that the problems are extensive enough that the company might go under in the near future (within the next couple of years)?
It would be super irresponsible for me to speculate about something like that. Really, anything could happen -- loans, buyouts, massive staff reductions, sudden turns of fortune...

unbias

Time for MS to buy them.

I feel as if buying a company in times like this would be a waste, instead buy their assets, much smarter plan. Crytech makes great tech, but their games are lackluster of their full potential, so, I dunno. At this point the only thing of real value they have, imo, is their engine.

Damn, I was really hoping for a Ryse sequel. They had a decent base to improve upon.

If it was made by a different company, sure. They are not great at improving on gameplay.

Servbot24

Banned
Ryse isn't an IP worth buying since there's nothing terribly unique about the setting or gameplay. MS can easily just make a new game with a Roman setting and cinematic battles if they want.

Top Bottom