• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Crytek Not Paying Staff On Time, Ryse Sequel Dropped

Google

Some of you Steam zealots are on another planet I swear.

It's insane how much a free piece of software that houses a publishers gaming catalogue storefront and distribution system can cause so much resentment.

I really dont understand it.

It would be super irresponsible for me to speculate about something like that. Really, anything could happen -- loans, buyouts, massive staff reductions, sudden turns of fortune...

Fair enough...I had to ask, seeing as you're the one who is in contact with all of the Crytek employees.

Fantastic investigative journalism, by the way.

JCizzle

Feels like it should be highly illegal to not pay your employees for thee months. I would think there would be some kind of worker protection against that.

It is in America I think. It was a big deal when Shillings company failed.

Razorskin

----- ------
They had already been working on the sequel for THQ. Once THQ IP went up for auction, I'm pretty sure they were able to buy the rights for somewhere in the neighborhood of $500k-$1M.

Alright, makes sense, I thought they bought the IP then started working on the sequel.

MLCodest

I enjoyed Ryse. They should really just sell the IP to MS if they are really having this much difficulty even paying employees.

unbias

Ryse isn't an IP worth buying since there's nothing terribly unique about the setting or gameplay. MS can easily just make a new game with a Roman setting and cinematic battles if they want.

Ya, really was generic. I think Crysis would be a much better sell for MS, honestly.

Steve pls

They have Timesplitters

Send all of the cheques

You know what fuck it.

Someone get Phil Spencer on the phone, tell him to buy Crytek UK as well, so they can have dead Rare and dead Rare's successor in their stable of first party games. Then they can put Timesplitters on a shelf with all the other ignored Rare franchises, at least it would be in good company!

Just get me the Ryse IP Phil.

They should but I don't know why MS even wants it. There's zero value to the Ryse IP.

Well it does say in Jason's piece MS wanted the franchise, so I guess they do? I also think its of value, especially as its not confined to one time period they could easily grow.

Xyrmellon

They keep saying they're only f2p now, but isn't a release of Homefront 2 well over a year away--surely they're still working on it.

They've got some decent ip's. I say let 'em go belly up and do a THQ style auction. Machinegames-Crysis 4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is a company that has squandered so much of it's talent. I hope the employees leaving will wind up somewhere that will actually value them.

So what order of magnitude of absolute doom can be inferred from this considering 1/2 of GAF's world ended when a handful of people left Naughty Dog despite there being no issue with employee compensation?

Sarcasm aside, it seems Crytek is in need of some serious restructuring. Rebuilding the company while going through the motions of bankruptcy might be a good option. I would love to see a lean and well oiled Crytek machine.

Rafterman

Banned
Such a shame. After Crysis I didn't think this company could do wrong, but since that time they've done everything in their power to change that. I guess that's what a PC developer gets for chasing the almighty console dollar and basically abandoning what made them great in the first place.

Ludist210

Not trying to come off as a back seat analyst, but I can't help but feel the company grew too fast for its own good, and is now paying the price.
I kind of agree. I knew they were big, but 800 large? That seems enormous for a company that's only released nine games since 2004. I know they do a lot of licensing of the CryEngine, but still...

unbias

Such a shame. After Crysis I didn't think this company could do wrong, but since that time they've done everything in their power to change that. I guess that's what a PC developer gets for chasing the almighty console dollar and basically abandoning what made them great in the first place.

Eh, I dont think the consolization of Crysis is the reason the gameplay took a step down. Ryse is just the perfect example of everything being generic. Their focus on reiteration seems to be graphics, with gameplay always taking a hit(Ryse being an example of this).

Would be a bit silly imo much wiser to get the IP then and start from the ground up with people who want to work for you. Maybe hire any staff that have left Crytek who are interested.

Yup, as I said in the other thread - if MS buy Crytek the engine is dead on arrival, they dont really want all 800 employees (or however many are left) and all the IPs etc that would come with the huge cost.

1 IP and the associated staff

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Agreed. Sounds like MS wanted it too. So maybe it will be put up on the block. A Ryse sequel could explore some excellent bits.

I think Crytek wants to avoid losing IP simply because they don't have many. They don't own FarCry and the only really notable thing they created outside of Ryse was Crysis. While they do have homefront, not sure how much legs that IP has.

It's even hard to classify them as a takeover target because outside of Crysis, Cryengine is their most valuable asset which in turn makes their employees their most valuable asset. (and buyouts lead to employee turnover, usually)

Selling Ryse for MS funding a sequel is just putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.

daninthemix

"Snobbish" was the wrong word, but surely the extra 6 or 7 digits of sales from Crysis 3 being on Steam might have helped somewhat?

Is there history of a developer teaming up with EA that ended up as a good thing? <--Serious question.

I feel bad for the Vigil guys. Jump off this sinking ship only to end up on another one. Hopefully Crytek can pull through this.

Skele7on

Banned
Why do i get the feeling Jason is lurking?

I feel like this
content_jurassic-park-raptor-suit-blog-50.jpg

It's a damn shame though, just finished ryse last week was not disappointed.

Sequel would have been great and probably greatly expanded what was pretty solid foundations.

Cryengine would be worth it for MS...or anyone needing middleware/engines for 7th gen/8th gen HD and PC development. Their IP isn't really that big of a deal though; it'd be nice for someone like EA to have Crysis, or Nintendo to have Timesplitters or MS to have Ryse (which I believe they do)...but it's not like it's worth a billion dollars to be able to do that, or whatever it'd cost to buy the dev/publisher and/or their IPs.

meanspartan

I say this with full empathy for those losing their jobs, so I hope you guys don't think I'm a dick, but I haven't liked any game they have made in years. Far Cry and Crysis were amazing. Crysis 2 and 3, and Ryse, incredibly "meh" games to me. Ryse probably even less than "meh".

Still, I always thought they were a huge, well funded dev. Shocking news.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Someone get on the phone to Phil Spencer to tell him to send those money hats to get the Ryse IP

Why would they need the Ryse IP? Are you saying that Microsoft couldn't make a badass Ancient Rome game without it?

Edit: Funnily enough, there was a thread on gaf recently pondering how crytek could afford such a high employee count.

Sean

Banned
If the situation is really this dire, they should just sell the Ryse IP to Microsoft and make the sequel.

I highly doubt any other publishers are going to want Ryse because it's both unoriginal and someone else's sloppy seconds. At least for Microsoft the IP has a little bit of value cause they've already been building the brand by releasing the first game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Crytek is a case of graphics > gameplay, something I really, really don't like. They need to get with it ASAP.

I miss the Crytek who made Crysis and Warhead :(

Good news though guys, maybe someone will pick up the Timesplitters IP and actually do something with it.

Top Bottom