• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Crytek Not Paying Staff On Time, Ryse Sequel Dropped

SparkTR

Why are they so insistent on being a F2P studio?

Because it's currently the new 'big thing', the same reason they were so keen to go after consoles and the CoD crowd after Crysis. In the end it'll just burn them, this employee puts it best:

Instead of focusing on the core strengths of the company, which would be the engine and innovative PC titles, we simply jumped at every next big thing in the industry.

Why would they want to have to buy it? What does Ryse offer as an IP that MS couldnt make themselves?

The 1st game has already become sort of a staple for the Xbox One, ask around im sure a lot of people will tell you they wanted a sequel, the Ryse series has a lot of potential to be a great series

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
EA's purchase of DICE in 2004 elevated the studio to lofty heights. They're now much larger and much richer than they were back before EA bought them.

But they are making less great games now. They have mirrors edge, sure. But they are stuck in a shootbang shitshow.

Digital Illusions used to be one of the top racing game developers. (i want moar rallisport)

unbias

If the situation is really this dire, they should just sell the Ryse IP to Microsoft and make the sequel.

I highly doubt any other publishers are going to want Ryse because it's both unoriginal and someone else's sloppy seconds. At least for Microsoft the IP has a little bit of value cause they've already been building the brand by releasing the first game.

That's silly, imo, buying a brand that got critical and user disapproving response with a setting that is as generic as it can get would be dumb. If they dont have to secure rights to make Ryse 2 by buying it up, sure it makes sense vs creating a brand new ip(arguably) but the game didnt do any favors to the potential revenue of the theoretical Ryse 2.

The 1st game has already become sort of a staple for the Xbox One, ask around im sure a lot of people will tell you they wanted a sequel, the Ryse series has a lot of potential to be a great series

You can find a perception of it being a staple but the reality of it is probably less so. I mean when metacritic critics agree almost entirely with the user that gives you a pretty good ballpark average on receptiveness.

Sydle

Sad to hear about Ryse 2 being cancelled, I really enjoyed the first and I think it has a lot of potential.

Seems that a guaranteed paycheck from MS is better than fighting over the rights to a franchise that had such an average review score on its first outing. Maybe MS can pick it up in an IP firesale.

That's silly, imo, buying a brand that got critical and user disapproving response with a setting that is as generic as it can get would be dumb. If they dont have to secure rights to make Ryse 2 by buying it up, sure it makes sense vs creating a brand new ip(arguably) but the game didnt do any favors to the potential revenue of the theoretical Ryse 2.

You can find a perception of it being a staple but the reality of it is probably less so. I mean when metacritic critics agree almost entirely with the user that gives you a pretty good ballpark average on receptiveness.

Critics didn't like it, but I think you'll find quite a few users who enjoyed it. Take a stroll through the OT.

I gotta wonder what Microsoft's strategy is with these IPs. They let Epic own Gears, then paid god knows how much to buy it after building it into a blockbuster. Then they let Crytek keep Ryse, another IP they seem to want, though Crytek seems unable to continue and disinterested in selling (though if they do, MS might get it on the cheap).

Will they try and buy Sunset Overdrive in a few years too?

This whole thing feels like... The internet stopped caring about what's going on in Naughty Dog and started doing it with Crytek.

Night and day difference. The ND thing was key staffers leaving, not employees missing pay checks and the whole company potentially closing.

Why would they need the Ryse IP? Are you saying that Microsoft couldn't make a badass Ancient Rome game without it?

Edit: Funnily enough, there was a thread on gaf recently pondering how crytek could afford such a high employee count.

The games ending was conclusive on that story, they could easily have moved to different time period and setting and continued it. I'd like to see them continue that series personally.

Denton

Huge shame. Crytek was amazing company, releasing fantastic PC games that were ahead of much more famous competition. Far Cry 1 blew my mind in 2004, before HL2 and Doom 3 even. Then Crysis and Crysis Warhead, both fantastic.

And then they started chasing CoD console money, both Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 were not as successful, Ryse is a disaster (how long has it been in development - 6 years? for 60 on metacritic), and their fee-to-pay initiative seems like a complete flop too. And I do not know anyone who would be hyped about any of their upcoming games, be it MOBA or Homefront. Even Hunt, which at least looks somewhat original, is plagued by fee-to-pay structure.

SparkTR

I gotta wonder what Microsoft's strategy is with these IPs. They let Epic own Gears, then paid god knows how much to buy it after building it into a blockbuster. Then they let Crytek keep Ryse, another IP they seem to want, though Crytek seems unable to continue and disinterested in selling (though if they do, MS might get it on the cheap).

They didn't let Crytek keep it, Crytek just refused to give it up and thus no Ryse 2. Crytek probably had more leverage at the XBOs launch (with a partly developed game) than they do now.

I'll be pretty disappointed if this it for the Ryse series. I really enjoyed the first and a second game, with a more focused development time a more fleshed combat engine and larger levels would be incredible.

Also, CHARIOT RACING!

Recall

Maybe I'm mixing up studios but aren't Crytex very arrogant about how amazing their tech is etc etc? Shame to hear about people not being happy in their workplace and leaving as such.

hawk2025

This reverence for the Ryse IP is crazy to me.

The game has a generic setting with a generic story and, importantly, a definitive ending. There's no evidence that Crytek, especially THIS messy Crytek, would have developed a great game after the awful first one.

It's a game devoid of content, interactivity and compelling gameplay being made by a team on a downwards spiral. But that's besides the point: the IP itself is not only generic, it's damaged goods.

Microsoft should make a medieval character action game if they'd like -- but there's no reason to chase a failed IP with a failed development schedule that launched a failure of a product.

"Ryse had a lot of potential" is as empty a statement as "Kinect has a lot of potential".

Bubsy 3D also had a lot of potential.

unbias

Sad to hear about Ryse 2 being cancelled, I really enjoyed the first and I think it has a lot of potential.

Seems that a guaranteed paycheck from MS is better than fighting over the rights to a franchise that had such an average review score on its first outing. Maybe MS can pick it up in an IP firesale.

Critics didn't like it, but I think you'll find quite a few users who enjoyed it. Take a stroll through the OT.

OT's are generally centered around those who enjoy the title(which is fine) and you can find a group of people who enjoyed most games out there, I'm not arguing whether liking the game makes sense, I'm talking about the viability of the title and MS actually paying money for it. Outside of "I know people who liked it" there really isnt anything that the game offered that MS couldnt do better, through a 343 type or grabbing another dev to make a similar game. Crytek's title I just dont think merits much effort on MS's part.

Kysen

This folks is the reason why exclusives need to be done in house. Throwing a bag of money about without owning the ip is a waste of time.

This reverence for the Ryse IP is crazy to me.

The game has a generic setting with a generic story and, importantly, a definitive ending. There's no evidence that Crytek, especially THIS messy Crytek, would have developed a great game after the awful first one.

It's a game devoid of content, interactivity and compelling gameplay being made by a team on a downwards spiral. But that's besides the point: the IP itself is not only generic, it's damaged goods.

Microsoft should make a medieval character action game if they'd like -- but there's no reason to chase a failed IP with a failed development scheduled that launched a failure of a product.

"Ryse had a lot of potential" is as empty a statement as "Kinect has a lot of potential".

Bubsy 3D also had a lot of potential.

Generic setting in what sense?

And a game having a definitive ending doesn't mean there can't sequel. That's just silly talk.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

The deal with ryse sounds like it revolves around funding. Would you feel comfortable taking all the financial risk with no ownership? If the game bombs, crytek gets paid, MS loses a shit ton of money and MS can't salvage anything.

Chobel

The games ending was conclusive on that story, they could easily have moved to different time period and setting and continued it. I'd like to see them continue that series personally.

If you're going to do an entire new game with different time period and setting you may as well create a new IP, instead of just using some other game name, especially when that other game wasn't that successful to begin with.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah I imagine they won't last until the end of the year given I can't imagine many people are interested in investing in what's obviously a complete basket case.

Dicer

Banned
Timesplitters :(

Crytek I could care less about...hope all to be effected land somewhere else.

By the end of this gen who will be left...it seems no company is safe.

cripterion

What a mess. I really enjoyed Ryse too.

Yeah, a refined sequel would have been awesome :( I enjoyed Ryse but game needed more time in the oven.

Sometimes I hate this industry,shitty sequels to no end (AC, COD, Battlefield) but for once when when there's a more distinct and original IP shit gets canned.

hawk2025

Generic setting in what sense?

And a game having a definitive ending doesn't mean there can't sequel. That's just silly talk.

In the sense that it's ancient Rome. It's generic, it's not original content with an oroginal world.

Of course there can be a sequel, the point is that there's nothing lost from moving to a new one. Ancient Rome isn't trademarked.

Crytek didn't make a single good game since first Crysis. It's only logical that they start rotting inside. That's what gamedev studios do when they stop making good games.

AmFreak

They did what they need to do to get these games.
In general the publisher owns the ip, but if ur only choices are "game without ip rights" or "no game", u will naturally want to choose the first.

Is it weird that I don't think Crytek have anything worth buying if there is an IP fire sale? All their franchises don't exactly sell well, and who needs an FPS franchise anyway?

To be honest, another dev should buy their tech side up. Whatever you want to say about Crytek, they sure know how to put out nice visuals.

They didn't let Crytek keep it, Crytek just refused to give it up and thus no Ryse 2. Crytek probably had more leverage at the XBOs launch (with a partly developed game) than they do now.

I suppose my wording was funny. I was just referring to the fact that Crytek retained the IP when MS signed the deal for the game.

The deal with ryse sounds like it revolves around funding. Would you feel comfortable taking all the financial risk with no ownership? If the game bombs, crytek gets paid, MS loses a shit ton of money and MS can't salvage anything.

It seems to me like Microsoft invests in these IPs and then scrambles to lock them down after the fact.

Article said:
Instead of focusing on the core strengths of the company, which would be the [Crytek] engine and innovative PC titles, we simply jumped at every next big thing in the industry," said a Crytek employee. "Except that each time we did, it was a little too late and we were running after our competitors. There's no sense of identity at this point and I think that frustrates both employees and fans."

Pretty much why I lost any interest in the company.

Top Bottom