• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Crytek Not Paying Staff On Time, Ryse Sequel Dropped

SparkTR

I suppose my wording was funny. I was just referring to the fact that Crytek retained the IP when MS signed the deal for the game.

Nah my fault, I misread. I believe the reason for that is likely because Ryse was already a partly developed product back before the XBO launch, it was in development for 7 years prior to that. Microsoft wanted a high-quality XBO game quickly for launch, so Crytek with an already developed product had more leverage to retain the IP at that point. Microsoft just needed a quick game, arguing over IP might not have been feasible then.

Sydle

Like what?

Is there another series that offers semi-realistic combat scenarios and set in ancient Rome? I'd love to see more of this type of game as long as they worked on variety of enemies, ability to wield different weapons, and more open environment for exploration.

i0UGYLxYPJmIU.png

Done heard it all now, brehs.

Opinions and all that, I get it, but some of the Ryse love around here is insane to me. The Heavenly Sword comparison is spot on.

Kratos has overstayed his welcome for me. The series hasn't innovated on anything since the original, it just gets shinier. This coming from a big fan of the first, second, and Chains of Olympus (RAD did such a great job, it's why I still have hope for The Order). GoW3 looked spectacular, as did Ascension, but good lord was I bored.

EDIT: I'd take a new Heavenly Sword over a new GoW as well. Give it to SSM so they could work on that universe for a change.

Xater

Well hopefully they can somehow turn this around. No Ryse 2 is not exactly something I will lose any sleep over. It's the second worst game I played during Gamescom last year. It was only topped by Lococycle.

SegaShack

Clamoring for one of the worst next-gen games out there is pretty odd. Ryse was highly regarded as trash with a pretty face.

Why are we rewarding teams for making such games like that? Just call it what it was. A pretty tech demo with no depth or real gameplay value. Crytek may actually learn from mistakes if they weren't getting ass kissed with every product they release.
Most of the employees were just hard working developers with no creative decision making. They also spent a lot of crunch time to finish the game. The game did look bad, but that doesn't mean the entire team should suffer.

The fighting system is a lot of fun if they tweaked it correctly it could be really great.

A lot of people did liked ryse.
But there's nothing really remarkable about it. It's just a generic hack n slash system with execution fluff.

The game was panned by the media and didn't sell remarkably well. A decent-ish combat system is not potential.
Is there another series that offers semi-realistic combat scenarios and set in ancient Rome? I'd love to see more of this type of game as long as they worked on variety of enemies, ability to wield different weapons, and more open environment for exploration.
But you want the type of game, not the IP per se. MS can just do another hack n slash set in Rome and have no need for the IP.

That new homefront game looked like it could have been something special.

Too bad it will end up being too little too late.

I get the feeling that it'd have more hype if it weren't connected to an IP that people associate with being a disappointing and mediocre game. It still blows my mind that they wanted that IP. They have the damn Timesplitters IP, yet they fund Homefront.

unbias

Yes in fact it does.

Conjecture based on a particular fondness for a title in no way infers potential. If they want a Xbox game set in Rome that actually had potential they should make Gladius 2, not Ryse 2(If we are going on potential), since both critics and users on the whole found the game to be of good quality. Just because I liked Chronicles of Riddik doesn't mean the movie has potential(unfortunately my point was proven with the last one) for a good sequel.

But there is nothing stopping MS or any other company from making a game like this without the Ryse IP, and arguably would do better then having the IP attached to its name if it was of good quality.

More surprised about how many people are upset about the Ryse sequel getting axed. If anything this explains why, to me at least, it felt like such a rushed (bad) experience.

It's all starting to fall apart...

I wonder if Crytek will even exist a year from now. These problems seem quite systemic.

They will exist in some form, but their divisions will probably be separated and sold off to other companies and publishers. I'd like Crytek USA (formerly Vigil Games) to go to Sony, as I think Darksiders II had a lot of good ideas which would work well in a God of War instalment.

Feels like it should be highly illegal to not pay your employees for thee months. I would think there would be some kind of worker protection against that.

Isn't that what unions are for? On the other hand, is there anything legal recourse can do if the company has literally no money with which to pay the staff?

Then what is Todd Papy going to work on?

I wonder if Todd Papy will return to Sony Santa Monica.

Would there be a place for him at SSM any more? Development on the next GoW must be going ahead which means they have a director, so would Papy be prepared to move back to California and go back into a lesser role?

Well, if you're going to snobbishly insist on distributing through Origin rather than Steam, that is your comeuppance.

Sorry for the staffers, though.

Do you mean stubbornly? Besides, that was probably a condition of EA being the publisher; it's not Crytek's fault.

At this point, they should just focus 100% on Crysis/Far Cry and stop trying to sell the engine itself.

Far Cry is nothing to do with them any more. The sold the whole brand to Ubi about seven years ago, along with I believe the option to develop their own engine based off of CryEngine (which became Dunia).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Just bought Ryse yesterday for like 20$. And hollyshit man, this game is so underrated. I am almost close to finish. Its short but amazing. This would be shame if we get no sequel to the game. Though I am not sure how it ends, but still I am loving what I am seeing so far.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I can't handle this praise for Ryse's pedestrian, boring, kiddie-pool shallow gameplay anymore. Crazy to me! But, opinions are opinions of course.

Hopefully Scalebound will show people what an action game is *actually* supposed to play like! :p

Oh I completely agree with you on Ryse's gameplay, I'm just an absolute sucker for the time period and it being so damn pretty didn't hurt. I was really hoping we'd get a sequel with massive improvements on the gameplay front, but perhaps Crytek wouldn't be the best option for that. I'd love to see MS buy it and give it to Platinum Games because I know it would be top notch gameplay wise, but I don't know if they could make it looks as pretty as Crytek did or even tell a story that would interest me. I'm so torn. D:

jimboton

These are the guys who made light of the amount of crunch time their workers had to endure just before Ryse was out, right? free dinners and all that? It's always bad when jobs are lost but, well, at least they were shitty jobs. That and they haven't put out anything of worth since the original Crysis.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Oh, my mistake then. I thought Nordic was rebranded into Crytek USA?

Nah Vigil were the original Darksiders devs and the majority of the team was turned into Crytek USA. Nordic is just the publisher that happens to own the Darksiders IP after they bought it from THQ.

They will exist in some form, but their divisions will probably be separated and sold off to other companies and publishers. I'd like Crytek USA (formerly Vigil Games) to go to Sony, as I think Darksiders II had a lot of good ideas which would work well in a God of War instalment.
I feel extra bad for Vigil. First THQ and now this.

These guys are talented and deserve to be treated as such, not like this.

Chobel

MS don't need Ryse IP to do this stuff, they can just create a new IP.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think they tried making something gamers enjoyed, but gamers already had the genre down. All they did was add great graphics. You can make a game how modern as you like, but if gamers have played something similar, then I don't think it will do very well unless it does it totally different.

It's a shame Crytek is going through their potential bankruptcy, but how could they even recover? They have most of their eggs in 1 or 2 baskets, while pouring creme filling over the top, waiting for someone to take a bite. If anything, Ryse should of been handled better. If they were really bleeding for money, they should of been forewarned of the consequences that MS faced prior to the XB1 release. It reminds me of the guy who buys the 18 karat dining room table for the million dollar mansion he can't afford. He spends all his money on the table only to have no house to place it in.

If Crytek files for bankruptcy I'd be shocked. They've made some very impressive games. However; I thought the publicity surrounding Crysis was better before Crysis 2.

Sydle

But you want the type of game, not the IP per se. MS can just do another hack n slash set in Rome and have no need for the IP.

Yeah, I don't see anyone else making it and I'm optimistic MS/Crytek heard the criticisms. I would like to see what they came up with for a sequel. If it was the same then I'd lose interest.

GoW 3 is maybe? GoW: A no?

zaFaxI8.gif

See my post above.

But there is nothing stopping MS or any other company from making a game like this without the Ryse IP, and arguably would do better then having the IP attached to its name if it was of good quality.

Right, but Crytek was already headed down this path and I believe they could have improved upon it (there was a lot of room for it) since it wouldn't start as a Kinect title and it probably would have far more dev time. There's no telling if we'll get anything else like it from anyone else.

Alric

Crytek is really having some financial / management issues. Hope they get their stuff sorted out before the EA starts giving them that look.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Wait...Im confused. So does MS own the IP, or not?
Earlier reports suggest that Crytek owns the IP because Microsoft refused to fund the sequel unless Crytek gives them the IP rights which Crytek doesn't want to do so the sequel is cancelled thanks to the lack of funds.

hawk2025

Yeah, I don't see anyone else making it and I'm optimistic MS/Crytek heard the criticisms. I would like to see what they came up with for a sequel. If it was the same then I'd lose interest.

See my post above.

Right, but Crytek was already headed down this path and I believe they could have improved upon it (there was a lot of room for it) since it wouldn't start as a Kinect title and it probably would have far more dev time. There's no telling if we'll get anything else like it from anyone else.

They also said they heard the E3 criticisms regarding the QTEs and suggested that the gameplay in the final game would be much more fleshed out.

Their solution?

Switch button prompts to colors.

You'll excuse me if I don't have any faith.

Well going by what someone said in another thread. It is because they don't give you the source code (can't modify the engine), poor documentation, poor support, and limited tools. I could be wrong about one or all of those. No source code would probably be the biggest deal breaker for most capable developers as a lot like to heavily modify the engines they buy.

I agree. I think it's source code for the highly capable indie devs and lack of documentation for the hobbyists. So they're stuck in a difficult place.

li bur

I'm wary of Epic fate since they are also going the f2p way. Epic need to return to traditional games. If they couldn't justify the development cost of AAA title, they should have stick to shadow complex type of game.

unbias

I think you kinda proved my point why I dont think MS will(or should) pay money for this unless they get it for near free, with this statement.

cripterion

Clamoring for one of the worst next-gen games out there is pretty odd. Killzone : Shadow Fall was highly regarded as trash with a pretty face.

Why are we rewarding teams for making such games like that? Just call it what it was. A pretty tech demo with no depth or real gameplay value. Crytek may actually learn from mistakes if they weren't getting ass kissed with every product they release.

Fixed it for you

Sydle

They also said they heard the E3 criticisms regarding the QTEs and suggested that the gameplay in the final game would be much more fleshed out.

Their solution?

Switch button prompts to colors.

You'll excuse me if I don't have any faith.

Sure, you're excused.

I think you kinda proved my point why I dont think MS will(or should) pay money for this unless they get it for near free, with this statement.

I would think it much more difficult to start from scratch than build on existing assets and technology. It seems Ryse 2 was already a go, probably because MS thought it would be a good use of Crytek to try again given what all they had in place. To use another team for it, or build a team for it seems unlikely.

ONI5

Neo Member
MS buy Crytek. Optimize CryEngine 3 for XB1. Profit.

1080p60 EVERYWHERE!

MS buys Crytek.
Puts Free Radical/Crytek UK into Rare.
Makes Timespiltters HD Collection, Ryse 2, Perfect Dark, Jetforce Gemini with CryEngine.
Put Crisis on hiatus and bring back Brute Force.
Have Vigil Games do Azurik remake.

unbias

I would think it much more difficult to start from scratch than build on existing assets and technology. It seems Ryse 2 was already a go, probably because MS thought it would be a good use of Crytek to try again given what all they had in place. To use another team for it, or build a team for it seems unlikely.

What does that have to do with the value of the IP or setting the IP was in? MS should not have to spend much money on such an IP and I dont think there is any reference point to go to, to infer that they should or that it would be a good idea.

This is the company that bought Vigil, but instead of buying their IP put them on a f2p shooter, and then opted to buy the Homefront license, to make a sequel literally no one asked for. They've put out all of two good games, one OK game, and a bunch of mediocre junk. I feel bad for the people who aren't getting paid, and may end up loosing their jobs, especially the Vigil people who just went through this not too long ago, but the writing was on the wall.

Jason, this was a well written and hard hitting article looking and prying at an actual issue of social justice (being paid correctly, feeling valued at the work place, etc...).

Good stuff man.

Xater

I'm wary of Epic fate since they are also going the f2p way. Epic need to return to traditional games. If they couldn't justify the development cost of AAA title, they should have stick to shadow complex type of game.

Epic is basically backed by Tencent at this point. They will be totally fine.

Jackpot

Banned
"Instead of focusing on the core strengths of the company, which would be the [Crytek] engine and innovative PC titles, we simply jumped at every next big thing in the industry," said a Crytek employee. "Except that each time we did, it was a little too late and we were running after our competitors. There's no sense of identity at this point and I think that frustrates both employees and fans."

Bingo.

Just bought Ryse yesterday for like 20$. And hollyshit man, this game is so underrated. I am almost close to finish. Its short but amazing. This would be shame if we get no sequel to the game. Though I am not sure how it ends, but still I am loving what I am seeing so far.

for me is one of the worst games of the launch period.but looks nice..i can give you that

pixlexic

Banned
Conjecture based on a particular fondness for a title in no way infers potential. If they want a Xbox game set in Rome that actually had potential they should make Gladius 2, not Ryse 2(If we are going on potential), since both critics and users on the whole found the game to be of good quality. Just because I liked Chronicles of Riddik doesn't mean the movie has potential(unfortunately my point was proven with the last one) for a good sequel.

NA I think it sold enough and garnered enough attention to warrant a true sequel.

megalowho

Sounds like management is dealing with their failures by sticking their fingers in their ears. Flying first class between studios regularly and tooling around in sports cars while staff receives reduced, delayed, or no paychecks for their work is a huge slap in the face. Surprised Crytek isn't in an all out revolt if that's the current culture, though plenty appear to have had enough by talking to the press/leaving/looking to leave. Good on them.

Top Bottom