• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Crytek Not Paying Staff On Time, Ryse Sequel Dropped

unbias

Is it weird that I don't think Crytek have anything worth buying if there is an IP fire sale? All their franchises don't exactly sell well, and who needs an FPS franchise anyway?

Crysis has some relative value I think, that would def be gobbled up on a IP sale and Timesplitters would probably find a home(on the very cheap). Outside of MS getting it pratically for free I dont see anyone going after Ryse.

Welp.

Devs aren't adopting CE and their own games don't sell very well (or are very good either). What else is supposed to happen?

The stories posted in the other thread about how Crytek handled CE's licensing makes it really clear why it isn't being adopted. You'd think that they'd be doing everything they can to secure support for the engine given how Epic dominates the market, but it seems like they instead made it even easier for Epic to receive more support.

AJ_Wings

According to Jason's article, even the employees themselves think that Crytek's current F2P approach is bullshit, and yes - they would have been better off with targeting the PC audience; tons of PC-only devs making a shitload of money currently for legit reasons.

And that bit with the Yerlis driving Ferraris while not paying their employees is brutal.

Damn. :/

I feel sorry for the Crytek employees.

Co-op chariot racing with Ben Hur DLC though.

In the sense that it's ancient Rome. It's generic, it's not original content with an oroginal world.

Of course there can be a sequel, the point is that there's nothing lost from moving to a new one. Ancient Rome isn't trademarked.

I wouldn't say having a historical setting makes it generic. We hardly have a mountain of action titles set in ancient Rome or set in the forests of England and the story has enough unique touches to stop it from falling into a generic or dull trap.

Well, the characters and story would be lost. I'm intrigued by and want to know more about the Gods and what their end goals are. We see some wheels are already in motion at the end of the first game, a sequel would build on that and maybe even bring Marius back...

Pimpbaa

Why is it that CryEngine could never shape up to be a serious UnrealEngine competitor? Tools, Pricing, Support or are the advantages just so minor that most devs simply stick with the Engine they are already comfortable with?

Well going by what someone said in another thread. It is because they don't give you the source code (can't modify the engine), poor documentation, poor support, and limited tools. I could be wrong about one or all of those. No source code would probably be the biggest deal breaker for most capable developers as a lot like to heavily modify the engines they buy.

Sucks for the employees affected by this at Crytek. Sucks for the gamers because there will be no Ryse sequel. Sucks all around :(

Ryse was one of the better launch titles.

soultron

Banned
From stuff I've heard second-hand, some Crytek staffers not being paid for months at a time isn't something that's new. Take it with a grain of salt since it wasn't my experience directly.

Squalor

That sucks for the employees. If I were them, I'd be looking for a job elsewhere. Seems like a sinking ship over there.

The world didn't need a Ryse sequel, though.

Once they start paying not on time its usually a quick road to not paying at all.

If I was a Crytek employee I'd be brushing up on my resume.

unbias

From stuff I've heard second-hand, some Crytek staffers not being paid for months at a time isn't something that's new. Take it with a grain of salt since it wasn't my experience directly.

Either way it's the best time for other companies to poach if they need some people, imo.

When we started hearing about PS4 and Xbox One, they took a bizarre stance of ignoring PS4 altogether, not even mentioning PS4 in an interview they did with GT IIRC?!

No one cares about Cry Engine now, I was actually surprised when I saw "everyone goes to rapture" was using it

That would explain why Homefront gameplay last E3 was Xbox gameplay (or at least PC with Xbox button prompts) despite the fact that there was no apparent MS moneyhat of any sort.

soultron

Banned
That sucks for the employees. If I were them, I'd be looking for a job elsewhere. Seems like a sinking ship over there.

The world didn't need a Ryse sequel, though.

It's tough to find a job for a variety of reasons in this particular situation: some people have families they don't want to uproot; some don't have the experience needed for a studio to pay most/full relocation fees (some studios don't cover relocation at all); some may be holding out for bonuses that get voided if they leave (I think, depending on how their bonuses work); the countries they currently work in may not be stable environments for any/all other studios there; all of their Crytek colleagues are probably looking for jobs as well, meaning the job market is temporarily over-saturated with candidates looking for new positions at other studios.

Add that to the precarious situation a lot of them are in right now if they don't have an emergency savings fund since they've not been paid in months or in full. Some of them might be broke or, better than that, living paycheque-to-paycheque and waiting on money they're owed.

Im sure if things really go south that MS will buy the IP and have someone else make it.

But they got the gameplay so right at the first time :(

A sequel made by the same team, getting tons of content, and adding more depth on the game other than combat would make it really awesome.

Clamoring for one of the worst next-gen games out there is pretty odd. Ryse was highly regarded as trash with a pretty face.

Why are we rewarding teams for making such games like that? Just call it what it was. A pretty tech demo with no depth or real gameplay value. Crytek may actually learn from mistakes if they weren't getting ass kissed with every product they release.

Banned
Crytek am Cry. Seriously, I liked the Crysis trilogy, ryse and now they own the Darksiders IP and looks like that's going nowhere now. I feel bad for the employees.

Ridley327

Why are they so insistent on being a F2P studio?

They got bit by the f2p bug when they saw how much money it was making for some companies. The problem is they ignored that it wasn't working for everyone, and especially the majority, and they seemingly sealed their fate when they staffed their f2p projects like AAA games. There's a reason why the ROI on the most successful f2p titles is as high as it is, and it's not because of those games having 50-100 staff working on them.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
GoW2 sure, GoW 3 maybe. GoW:A no.

i0UGYLxYPJmIU.png

Done heard it all now, brehs.

Opinions and all that, I get it, but some of the Ryse love around here is insane to me. The Heavenly Sword comparison is spot on.

ironcreed

Banned
Sounds like a pretty volatile situation. A shame about Ryse 2 as well. I am still really looking forward to playing the first one whenever I get an Xbox One.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Crytek am Cry. Seriously, I liked the Crysis trilogy, ryse and now they own the Darksiders IP and looks like that's going nowhere now. I feel bad for the employees.

Nordic Games owns the Darksiders IP, Crytek just has former members of Vigil. I'll never give up hope of getting a new Darksiders.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Please don't flop! Please don't flop!

If they have to start cutting a tail to survive please don't close down Crytek UK! Close anything you like Crytek just don't touch the Timesplitters guys.

GHG

Gold Member
That new homefront game looked like it could have been something special.

Too bad it will end up being too little too late.

hawk2025

I can't handle this praise for Ryse's pedestrian, boring, kiddie-pool shallow gameplay anymore. Crazy to me! But, opinions are opinions of course.

Hopefully Scalebound will show people what an action game is *actually* supposed to play like! :p

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I suppose my wording was funny. I was just referring to the fact that Crytek retained the IP when MS signed the deal for the game.

It seems to me like Microsoft invests in these IPs and then scrambles to lock them down after the fact.

MS never "scrambles". Ever.

MS invests and if there's money to be made then they'll buy it for the sake of fleshing out their portfolio.

Sometimes they'll buy stuff for no reason.

You have to think of it like this... when investing in new IP... is it better to make a ton of new games while carrying all the financial risk with IP ownership... or better to take some of the financial risk with no ownership but with exclusivity? (essentially cementing the title as an Xbox game)

MS easily saved more than the money they paid for Gears when making other games under more safe contracts.

MS used to throw tons of money around, taking all risk with ownership with OG Xbox... and that lead to a lot of expensive duds. Ended up great for gamers because developers would line up to make games for free... but ended badly for MS bottom line.

Top Bottom