• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku explains how to leak informations to them

soultron

Banned
If this will be used for ethical reasons, such as exposing brutal death march crunch? Sure.

If it's going to be used to leak pre-release alpha/target render footage, in advance of a proper reveal? No thanks. It's not fun to be working on something, seeing (or worse, being a part of) a dedicated team working hard on an E3 reveal, and then have the rug pulled out underneath you/them.

If this will be used for ethical reasons, such as exposing brutal death march crunch? Sure.

If it's going to be used to leak pre-release alpha/target render footage, in advance of a proper reveal? No thanks. It's not fun to be working on something, seeing (or worse, being a part of) a dedicated team working hard on an E3 reveal, and then have the rug pulled out underneath you/them.

It's amusing to picture someone using TOR and Starbucks wifi to upload many hundreds of megabytes of target render footage, but it's clear from the third paragraph of the article that Jason's talking about personal stories and testimonials that usually get muzzled by corporate culture and severance contracts.

Marcel

Leaks of that nature are common. If Kotaku doesn't do it, a leaker will likely go to someone else who will and then they'll miss all that ad revenue. Why let someone else eat your lunch?

That's their job, it is ok. It's not ok for snitch employers to leak information, which IMO should be sued and fired immediately once it happens.

"Thanks boss. Yeah I'll sign the contract but leak infotmation to a shit website that I can't trust and not only put myself at risk, but everyone else who works there an the projects, development and business too".

Who the fuck are Kotaku?

hawk2025

Some of these "Translation:" and "This is basically saying:" posts are fucking embarrassing.

It's like people have no concept on how the press should work and what the job should entail.

CHC

Strange thing to post. I don't think anyone would have a problem leaking information if they felt the need to, and I don't think that leaking to Kotaku would be safer than elsewhere. I can appreciate encouraging leaks for poorly managed workplaces and bad practices, but do we really NEED to have every game announcement leak?

Some might say "corporate bullshit" but is it really so bad to get the first glimpse of a game through a polished press release rather than rumors and grainy shots?

Marcel

Strange thing to post. I don't think anyone would have a problem leaking information if they felt the need to, and I don't think that leaking to Kotaku would be safer than elsewhere. I can appreciate encouraging leaks for poorly managed workplaces and bad practices, but do we really NEED to have every game announcement leak?

Some might say "corporate bullshit" but is it really so bad to get the first glimpse of a game through a polished press release rather than rumors and grainy shots?

I love getting a polished corporate message. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, knowing that a press release was safely vetted by a PR department. More of those, please!

Came into this thread skeptical. Decided to read article before final judgment. Left better informed and with more respect for Kotaku. You win this round.

CHC

I love getting a polished corporate message. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, knowing that a press release was safely vetted by a PR department. More of those, please!

No need for the attitude, I just don't happen to agree that every morsel of information about games MUST be leaked. Debut it when it's ready, it isn't like you can't make up your own mind or have to believe every word they advertise it with.

Given that you didn't even read the article before writing this, feel free to apologize for calling me "repulsive" whenever you'd like. If you do read the article, you can learn how to do it securely and anonymously.

How is helping leak out information on a game's development (months/years before it's ready to be shown) with visual material and in-depth information not disgusting?

How is that helping it improve the industry or exposing bad practices? Why would you take someone else's work and show it yourself while stealing the dev team's thunder?

Please explain it to me.

soultron

Banned
It's amusing to picture someone using TOR and Starbucks wifi to upload many hundreds of megabytes of target render footage, but it's clear from the third paragraph of the article that Jason's talking about personal stories and testimonials that usually get muzzled by corporate culture and severance contracts.

I've read lots of longform pieces by Jason that detail what you speak about in the latter of your post, which are fantastic. I just hope these methods are used largely for that purpose.

Leaks of that nature are common. If Kotaku doesn't do it, a leaker will likely go to someone else who will and then they'll miss all that ad revenue. Why let someone else eat your lunch?

Kotaku is a lot more responsible when it comes to communicating back to publishers/developers about leaks before they happen/get published, it just sucks being on the receiving end. Call it cutting through PR bullshit/hype, whatever -- there's a development team involved that is trying to impress fans somewhere in the mix too.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Jason has put out some amazing articles that couldn't have been possible without some people reaching out to him and putting their careers in jeopardy.

I thought the things mentioned in the article would have been no-brainers, but I'm guessing that really isn't the case?

Kayant

Translation: no one reads our shitty click bait "articles" and posts about gaming cakes after our garbage redesign bullshit that we refuse to fix, so please send us vaguely worded leaks that we can make into even more click bait articles that drive fanboy forum warriors into a tizzy. Thanks!

Translation:Reading is apparently hard.

jschreier

How is helping leak out information on a game's development (months/years before it's ready to be shown) with visual material and in-depth information not disgusting?

How is that helping it improve the industry or exposing bad practices? Why would you take someone else's work and show it yourself while stealing the dev team's thunder?

Please explain it to me.
Can't believe you *still* haven't read the article. Or any of my posts in this thread.

Steel

Banned
this is awful. i'd much prefer the spoon fed info from the publishers i worship

That's basically what I'm hearing from people complaining about this. It's like people are trying to find a reason to be upset, or didn't think about it long enough to realize that this is how news normally gets made.

hawk2025

No need for the attitude, I just don't happen to agree that every morsel of information about games MUST be leaked. Debut it when it's ready, it isn't like you can't make up your own mind or have to believe every word they advertise it with.

Did you actually read the article?

No one said every morsel of information about games MUST be leaked.

CHC

Did you actually read the article?

No one said every morsel of information about games MUST be leaked.

Yes I read it, it's full of good tips. I agree with leaks when duplicitious practices are going on, or people really need to know things, I think it's great. There's a lot of "once bitten, twice shy" attitude that I don't agree with in general though, as if every time a game is shown it's just fake, all lies, corporate shit, etc. Maybe I just enjoy the hype of tuning into E3 or A Nintendo Direct and seeing lots of surprises. Anyway, I'm getting off topic, I don't mean to sound like a dick here.

This is quite old but it still gives me a good chuckle :D

Now this I definitely missed somehow. It is hilarious. :lol

“Thanks to Grand Theft Auto IV,” she wrote, with a fan’s enthusiasm, “I am now a strong, independent black woman.”

Anyways, on the topic, all the best to Jason for snatching more behind the scenes stuff. I would definitely like to hear about what went wrong with Destiny.

dex3108

Also Jason i understand and i can support coverage about serious issues in industry like Crytek coverage or your coverage about getting laid off etc. But does this mean that you will ignore info about unreleased games you get after this article?

Marcel

Please explain it to me.

You can leak information in a society of free communication. You may be punished or hated but it does count as news, it can be reported on, and if one news org doesn't take the story, you can be guaranteed someone else will. Since you post on GAF, you have gained knowledge from past leaks here.

Seventy70

What happens when the information they are given is fake? The industry is full of thousands of people. That is bound to happen.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
In my opinion this is open call for devs and other game industry insiders to leak them stuff for trafic.
They're in business to generate traffic, preferably on the back of good content. Which this development does not preclude.

BokehKing

Banned
Just let stuff leak on Gaf, you post stories of leaked things from your own site.... Might as well kiss review copies good bye

You mean lots of fake stuff?

Koataku doesn't care if they are fake. Still get clicks.

Well it seems (after reading the article) that they're going to take precautions so they don't post fake stuff but it may still occur.

So to answer I meant nice real stuff but fake stuff will be fun too (in another way that's for sure).

Fuchsdh

Of course it's ok.

Excellent idea. It's up to the parties involved to craft contracts that will not leak, and it's up to the press to make the process of revealing information as simple and straightforward as possible.

Dollars to doughnuts those contracts "that will not leak" already exist; people break the contracts by leaking the info anonymously. This isn't new.

To me there are differences between whistleblowing illegal or immoral actions, and the kinds of leaks that end up on places like Kotaku.

Steel

Banned
What happens when the information they are given is fake? The industry is full of thousands of people. That is bound to happen.

It happens to real news corps as well, it's actually quite funny when they have to publicly apologize. And since this is just about video games, a false article or two probably won't cause much damage. Basically, people will laugh, life will go on.

Marcel

It's nice that people want to be surprised by E3 or Nintendo Direct but, uh, you are on the internet. The place where leaks happen and insider shit gets talked about. Constantly. Maybe limit your exposure if you want to keep your hype safe.

Coconut

Banned
Sign of what? Just stop the driveby shitpost stuff and get to your point.

As I said before they are losing clicks specifically to places like reddit or here or other forums where these "leaks" actually take place at.

I don't care that they're doing it I'm just saying as person who has dealt with PR and news media that this is what should be read into that post.

Orayn

It's nice that people want to be surprised by E3 or Nintendo Direct but, uh, you are on the internet. The place where leaks happen and insider shit gets talked about. Constantly. Maybe limit your exposure if you want to keep your hype safe.

Or better yet, don't be so in love with the idea of buying things that you turn into a slimy, pallid creature and hide yourself under rocks and dirt to protect your precious hype from anything that might spoil it.

Top Bottom