• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku explains how to leak informations to them

Sciz

Just let stuff leak on Gaf, you post stories of leaked things from your own site.... Might as well kiss review copies good bye

It is fortunate, then, that Kotaku has explicitly been moving away from the traditional publisher controlled coverage cycle.

Marcel

As I said before they are losing clicks specifically to places like reddit or here or other forums where these "leaks" actually take place at.

I don't care that they're doing it I'm just saying as person who has dealt with PR and news media that this is what should be read into that post.

Is Kotaku actually in direct competition with NeoGAF and Reddit or are you just positing a situation that is convenient for your opinion on the subject?

Coconut

Banned
It is fortunate, then, that Kotaku has explicitly been moving away from the traditional publisher controlled coverage cycle.

I don't think that's a choice I think that's them reacting to circumstances. Things they done over the years that have isolated themselves from publishers. Something good something's bad.

Is Kotaku actually in direct competition with NeoGAF and Reddit or are you just positing a situation that is convenient for your opinion on the subject?

They are in competition with all the sources you may get your video game news from first. Even when someone strays a thread about a kotaku article and copy and pasted it into the body of the OP. Kotaku wants to be the ONE and only place you go for video game info on the internet. Think of it like this you only have X amount of time on the internet all day and you go to 1-5 sites or something kotaku wants to eliminate the need to go to the other choices. From what I've seen kotaku has always want to be a forum news site hybrid.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
This is great. This seems like journalism.

Well, it's Jason so of course it does. Out of all the people in the gaming media, I only really consider Jason and Patrick to be journalists. There may be others out there, but it's those two who stick out for me.

jschreier

Also Jason i understand and i can support coverage about serious issues in industry like Crytek coverage or your coverage about getting laid off etc. But does this mean that you will ignore info about unreleased games you get after this article?
Of course not. If someone tells me or shows me something newsworthy, I'd be doing a disservice to my readers if I didn't try to report it, even if "here's a game you'll find out about later!" is my least favorite type of scoop.

That said, we believe in covering leaks in a responsible way. Look at Assassin's Creed Victory, for example. We posted the news -- and newsworthy screenshots -- but we made the deliberate decision to not post the entire video, because there isn't a lot of news value in throwing up target render footage of a game we'll all see in a few months anyway.

Mask

Not sure I'd trust a Gawker site with my theoretical leaks.

What's to stop them from trying to out the leakers for a quick buck and clicks? It IS Gawker..

Edit - Oh wait, it's Jason Schrier? Yeah, I'd trust him, wouldn't trust the other Gawker sites though.

jimi_dini

Given that you didn't even read the article before writing this, feel free to apologize for calling me "repulsive" whenever you'd like. If you do read the article, you can learn how to do it securely and anonymously.

YWJTx9V.gif

Sciz

I don't think that's a choice I think that's them reacting to circumstances. Things they done over the years that have isolated themselves from publishers. Something good something's bad.

A reaction to circumstances, yes, but it's less about their own publisher relations and more about the fact that publishers are slowly rendering PR mouthpieces irrelevant by targeting their audience directly these days. The games press as a whole is going to have to adapt in the coming years.

What's to stop them from trying to out the leakers for a quick buck and clicks? It IS Gawker..

Kotaku has been doing this sort of thing for a while. I was going to make a joke along the lines of "step one: email Jason" before the article itself beat me to it, because he's got credibility as a guy who'll write this stuff up responsibly and protect his sources. It'd be unbelievably foolish to write an article up to help people protect themselves and then immediately torpedo that trust forever.

jschreier

They are in competition with all the sources you may get your video game news from first. Even when someone strays a thread about a kotaku article and copy and pasted it into the body of the OP. Kotaku wants to be the ONE and only place you go for video game info on the internet. Think of it like this you only have X amount of time on the internet all day and you go to 1-5 sites or something kotaku wants to eliminate the need to go to the other choices. From what I've seen kotaku has always want to be a forum news site hybrid.
At risk of sounding like an asshole... You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. From start to finish, none of this is true.

Coconut

Banned

Edit - Oh wait, it's Jason Schrier? Yeah, I'd trust him, wouldn't trust the other Gawker sites though.

And that's a responsibility as a modern reason of news to filter these things a verify with other sources. It's said that fact checking is a responsibility of the reader now.

At risk of sounding like an asshole... You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. From start to finish, none of this is true.

If you are saying you aren't trying to maximize the number of views of your website by being the place that people look at first thing in the morning then yes you sound like an asshole, because that's your number one job.

daveo42

Banned
I don't see any issue with this, as long as what ever news and information that is published is confirmed through other sources. While they'll have to wade through a ton of shit, I'm sure there is some gold to be found.

Given that you didn't even read the article before writing this, feel free to apologize for calling me "repulsive" whenever you'd like. If you do read the article, you can learn how to do it securely and anonymously.

ayyy lmao

Keep up the good works guys.

I remember a while back for some reason Game Informer was sending me issues a month early. I remember getting the Saints Row 3 issue and wondering why it was in my mailbox so early.

So I did what any good samaritan would do. I scanned all the pages and dumped them online. This also happened with Battlefield 3 or something

Hopefully this will reveal or expose the bullshit that is "cut content turned into DLC", when the dev states that "its unfinished and was never intended for the full game". Even though they have all the info on this DLC months before the launch of the game. Looking at you 2K with Evolve...

Hope some employee will speak up and say that "Yes, it was indeed cut to sell to you later as DLC". Which I wouldn't find shocking in any way these days.

daveo42

Banned
And that's a responsibility as a modern reason of news to filter these things a verify with other sources. It's said that fact checking is a responsibility of the reader now.

If you are saying you aren't trying to maximize the number of views of your website by being the place that people look at first thing in the morning then yes you sound like an asshole, because that's your number one job.

I think you miss the point in all this that they are trying to offer something different than the large quantity of sites out there that all publish the same shit at the same time. Yes they want views, but they are at least trying to offer something unique and interesting to set themselves apart.

Coconut

Banned
I think you miss the point in all this that they are trying to offer something different than the large quantity of sites out there that all publish the same shit at the same time. Yes they want views, but they are at least trying to offer something unique and interesting to set themselves apart.

I get that but it also leaves an opening for a lot of here-say. And I hope that Kotaku is responsible enough to filter that out but historically they haven't been and the internet hasn't been a good place to honesty.

Corgi

Banned
Man scheier got all kind of spunk in his soul in 2015. must be because of that promotion :p

At this point, kotaku might as well write an article about how this 'internet thing' works because quite a few people don't get it (it's pretty confusing to me too).

daveo42

Banned
I get that but it also leaves an opening for a lot of here-say. And I hope that Kotaku is responsible enough to filter that out but historically they haven't been and the internet hasn't been a good place to honesty.

Right now we can only assume how well they will do based on their previous work and hope they strive for some sort of integrity in reporting and having sources back up the claims of anonymous posters.

Zaph

Only in the games industry can you find consumers complaining about journalists trying to pull themselves away from corporate controlled spoonfeeding and instead set up direct lines of information access.

Particularly ridiculous after the shitshow that was 2014, with AAA publishers at their absolute worst. Ugh.

As I said before they are losing clicks specifically to places like reddit or here or other forums where these "leaks" actually take place at.

I don't care that they're doing it I'm just saying as person who has dealt with PR and news media that this is what should be read into that post.
Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

There probably is no ulterior motive. It most likely is a refresher for anyone who wants to be a source.

I wish most people who hated Kotaku could just not jump to conspiracy talk about clicks and just bring up constructive criticism.

Only in the games industry can you find consumers complaining about journalists trying to pull themselves away from corporate controlled spoonfeeding and instead set up direct lines of information access.

Particularly ridiculous after the shitshow that was 2014, with AAA publishers at their absolute worst. Ugh.

This is after those same people complained that the press was just a PR mouthpiece who wasn't doing any actual journalism.

I get the feeling that many just don't understand what journalists do, or how the industry functions.

Coconut

Banned
Seems you're hell bent on not reading the article aren't you?
where in the article does it say this is the criteria that Kotaku uses to choose what they will report on it just says this is how you can get some info to us. I'm curious to know how they filter out what they consider good leads to bad ones.

ZeroGravity

Of course they are. I stopped visiting gaming news websites a long time ago because GAF aggregates news far faster than any of them.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
where in the article does it say this is the criteria that Kotaku uses to choose what they will report on it just says this is how you can get some info to us.

They say it right here:
There's no need to worry about using your real name while talking to a Kotaku reporter, as we'll take the strongest measures possible to protect your identity. If you'd prefer to remain anonymous, that's OK, although we may ask you to corroborate that you are who you say you are so we can verify the information you give us.

Of course they are. I stopped visiting gaming news websites a long time ago because GAF aggregates news far faster than any of them.

It's true. I used to frequent Kotaku before I discovered gaf, now I barely visit there. Actually went there yesterday out of boredom, saw the usual bloggy posts that didn't do anything for me, and promptly made my exit lol. I'll usually read one of Schreier's articles if it's linked here, one of his exposé pieces, otherwise I have no reason to go there.

Coconut

Banned
They say it right here:

If you'd prefer to remain anonymous, that's OK, although we may ask you to corroborate that you are who you say you are so we can verify the information you give us.

"We may"

Even then that just one thing.

Thanks for trying to help though, little buddy.

If you'd prefer to remain anonymous, that's OK, although we may ask you to corroborate that you are who you say you are so we can verify the information you give us.

"We may"

I think we already understand that you think Kotaku is run by unscrupulous liars.

m_dorian

I am pleasantly surprised to see Kotaku trying to do real journalism instead of being another media tool.
Carry on mr. Shreier.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

"We may"

Awww *pat* *pat*

You continue on with your tirade you little scamp!

Zaph

"We may"

Dude you sound ridiculous. That is a completely standard and innocuous statement. There are many reasons they may not need to verify the leaker's identify, such as multiple sources corroborating, or if the leaked information able is independently verifiable.

The article is literally Journalism 101. An easily googleable reference should anyone want to get information to them.

Corpekata

Banned
This thread will be a good example of the "some people will bitch about anything" when it comes to sites they don't like in the future.

Marcel

I'm pretty sure Kotaku's business model is not harmed by GAF because the GAF insider-type crowd is not the demographic they're attempting to reach with the majority of content they put out. Maybe one of those long-form stories gains traction here but shit like Kotaku Japan? Snacktaku? That ain't for you, or for anyone in my opinion.

Coconut

Banned
I'm pretty sure Kotaku's business model is not harmed by GAF because the GAF insider-type crowd is not the demographic they're attempting to reach with the majority of content they put out. Maybe one of those long-form stories gains traction here but shit like Kotaku Japan? Snacktaku? That ain't for you, or for anyone in my opinion.

You are over estimating the average gaf member there's also a lot of people that aren't memebers that come here and read the threads. Also snack taku and the Japanese stuff is filler so they still have posts going up throughout the day.

Also we do have the off topic board here which is pretty popular based on the thread numbers.

Marcel

You are over estimating the average gaf member there's also a lot of people that aren't memebers that come here and read the threads. Also snack taku and the Japanese stuff is filler so they still have posts going up throughout the day.

Also we do have the off topic board here which is pretty popular based on the thread numbers.

And yet Kotaku still does business on reposting things taken from GAF. You've already been taken to school by people within the business so I'm not sure what you want from me, a bystander.

Coconut

Banned
And yet Kotaku still does business on reposting things taken from GAF. You've already been taken to school by people within the business so I'm not sure what you want from me, a bystander.

Taken to school, uh huh. Again I'm talking about the average neogaf user lots of people here aren't insiders but are video game enthusiast and spread their video game website time between multiple places the business of the internet is to lock down viewers to your website to maximize clicks to increase the potential traffic to a websites advertiser.

Here's a thing to chew on in free media we are the products and the advertisers are the consumers. Think about that.

Top Bottom