• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Next Assassin's Creed codenamed "Empires"; set in Egypt, coming 2017

So 4chan --> GAF --> Internet --> GAF, then?

Gotta say that not releasing an AC game in the same year that the movie comes out is a gutsy move.

Ragona

Cool now i can keep syndicate for later this year. But if it was planned to release this year i doubt it will be completely different. Maybe just way more polished.

So the love story between Ubi and Kotaku continues. I wonder when they are going to "leak" the official concept art/screenshots of the game.

TheFrza

This is awesome news. I've been basically boycotting this IP ever since they said it would be stupid not to release it annually. I might actually pick this one up; since it has time to fully cook.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So 4chan --> GAF --> Internet --> GAF, then?

Gotta say that not releasing an AC game in the same year that the movie comes out is a gutsy move.

Maybe their reasoning is that the movie will keep AC in peoples minds, and that this is the only year they could have taken a break.

Since the game and film take place in the same universe, I wouldn't be surprised if Fassbender's character is the Animus subject in both the game and the film.

Sounds like its not a reboot though, which is what the series desperately needs. The modern day story has become convoluted and quite boring, having Desmond as an "anchor" for the series was great and they need to return to that idea, without all the 2012 end of the world stuff.

It'll suck having Syndicate give the modern era a cliffhanger never resolved ending, but I'd be fine with a total reboot that has 10% modern era per game that carries over from game to game, nothing so insane that you miss out on the story entirely if you jump into any game but a nice little fan service for people who play every game.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'd absolutely love for this to happen. The franchise deserves a break, and a redesign in a lot of parts.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I look forward to the time period they choose and their interpretation of what the ancient Egyptians looked like.

Skux

I wonder what ridiculous Egyptian-era technology they're going to cook up this time.

Mechanical repeating crossbows a la Gladiator?

Stargate-style unfolding helmets?

This is not just a repost of 4chan. This is Jason Scheier saying he independently heard this.

Hahaha, I know, I was just gently ribbing. I knew Schreier found out on his own, I was more referring to the fact that the article referenced the 4chan posts and the GAF thread (which he was also in), not implying he used them as a source. Sorry for causing any confusion.

Aces&Eights

My fatigue for the franchise has hit me hard and I had to skip Syndicate. Hoping this setting brings me back.

What can you jump off in Egypt? Pyramids = splat. Sphinx are not that tall, really.

Could we be seeing a reboot work new mechanics and a dumping of the old, tired ones?

Kotaku said:
The source said this bi-annual approach could be a new trend for Assassin’s Creed, which has suffered from franchise fatigue in recent years.
That's great, if true.

Anytime any series gets annualized, I eventually burn out and lose interest at a certain point. I haven't played a new AC since III, but depending on how this game shakes out, I might have to give it another shot.

kencey

Good news

I4vR9ix.gif

nelchaar

How do we know Jason isn't a part-time asscreed secret agent spy developer at Ubisoft? This is like the 4th creed game he's leaked.

RiZ III

A welcomed change. I lost interest as they brought the series closer and closer to modern times. I'd love to see it back in the renaissance or crusade setting, but ancient Egypt sounds epic. Very excited for this.

I wonder what ridiculous Egyptian-era technology they're going to cook up this time.

Mechanical repeating crossbows a la Gladiator?

Stargate-style unfolding helmets?
Empires reveals that the Templars are really Goa'uld who remained on Earth after the successful rebellion led by Daniel Jackson drove their Empire off of the Earth.

True Fire

I'm kind of happy for Ubisoft tbh. Their recent decisions are the most self aware they have ever been. They started off this generation with their last generation mindset, and it's become clear that gamers expect better now.

I hope they improve their DLC model now that the franchise is biennial. Witcher 3/Bloodborne tier high profile expansions would be welcome.

Good news if true, used to be a big AC fan but it just got stale. An extra years development time can only be a good thing. Interesting setting too.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Ah excellent, I've been wanting that franchise to go to Egypt since AC2. I've been fairly tepid on it for awhile, despite usually enjoying it when I jump in. Just too much AC too often. I'll happily give it a fair shake if they do some cool stuff with Egyptian mythology though!

iNvid02

japan still eludes us, but its a small price to pay for a reboot and shift to biannual

assuming this is all true of course, should wait for ubi's comment to kotaku to be certain ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Beefy

Would people be more happy if they ditched the different reality part? So basically you will be a assassin in Egypt.

bryanee

So we might not see anything of this game until next year? I sure as shit don't wanna see it at e3 if its not out until 2017.

tilomite!

I've only played Ass Creed 2, this gives me hope for the series. It's a long ways away, but it's the first Creed to be on my radar, ever.

Top Bottom