• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Next Assassin's Creed codenamed "Empires"; set in Egypt, coming 2017

oti

Banned
And after that a new AC in the best setting known to man.

Ancient Greece.

Who with me?
EVERYONE

FLD

Hope it's true, it's about time they took a break from the yearly releases. Shaking up the formula a bit couldn't hurt, either. And hell, this way I might actually end up being up to date for the next release for the first time since ACIII.

There's no way I'd be able to play through Black Flag, Rogue, Unity and Syndicate by next November and not be completely sick of the series. Two years is plenty of time to space them out properly, though.

jrush64

Banned
I enjoy my yearly Assassins Creed games. Not too happy about this to be honest. At least we get Zelda this year.

rezn0r

I hope it's true, I love the series but yet again I'm 3 and a half games behind because this yearly shit sucks. Give me 2 years to catch up and I'll be happy if it's a polished release with a cool new setting.

In regards to a possible trilogy I hope they don't go back to Rome, I know ancient Rome is much older than the Renaissance period but still. Also, where the fuck is China/Japan? Those 2D games don't count.

I enjoy the yearly releases though, so I'm glad I haven't played Rogue yet to fill the gap.

Kalor

I'm curious to see how this turns out. I hope that it has some ties to the rest of the series rather than being completely divorced from the main conflict but I guess they could have precursor stuff.

Squire

Banned
Hope they change the name from Assassin's Creed Empires to Assassin's Creed V. Show me you're serious Ubi.

Empires probably won't stick the same way Victory didn't. I could see them going back to numbers though. The franchise can't take being annual any more. I'm sure the devs know that perfectly well, but the execs need convincing.

If true, thank God. I've been saying AC will end up better overall if they would just take a year or two off.

Now I'm looking at you Call of Duty.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And after that a new AC in the best setting known to man.

Ancient Greece.

Who with me?
EVERYONE

I hope all the statues are accurately painted:

12304statueah6qdk.jpg

GeeTeeCee

I'm currently playing through the surprisingly excellent Syndicate, so if the extra time in the oven means Empires can somehow surpass the quality of Syndicate then I'm on board.

northern africans arent black......

The Egyptian empire stretched pretty far south, so there were plenty of black Egyptians, even without the huge amount of trade they did with other countries. Even some Pharaohs were black infact. Really, there should be people from all over the place wandering around their docks and markets, Northern Europeans, Asian, Africans, Orientals, Mediterraneans. Egypt was an incredibly diverse and well connected place back in the day.

I'm incredibly excited to hear all this confirmed anyway. Love ancient Egypt, it's one of my all time favourite parts of history, and even if this would be set in it's twilight years, it's still be amazing to explore, and getting an extra year to get ready, and reboot the series, is music to my eats.

If the Greek and Roman sequels pan out, even better!

kaioshade

acc_hero.jpg

they're also doing another one in india for asian stuff

PROPER AC game.

And yes, give me China or Japan, begging for a good AC game in that setting, but that would make too much sense. Its not like they had an already established Asian character ready to go. Nope. Stuff her into a shitty side spin off, then bury her when people arent "interested" No Ubisoft, we're interested, just not in a crappy ass 2d spinoff.

*yes, yes Chronicles China was decent, but i still wanted a mainline game*

Taker34

Banned
Nice, that's what I've been told here on GAF as well by someone who has contacts to Ubisoft Sofia, I think.
I was very sceptic but it was super obvious from the Osiris mocap Video that it was an AC game depite having a PoP codename.

PROPER AC game.

And yes, give me China or Japan, begging for a good AC game in that setting, but that would make too much sense. Its not like they had an already established Asian character ready to go. Nope. Stuff her into a shitty side spin off, then bury her when people arent "interested" No Ubisoft, we're interested, just not in a crappy ass 2d spinoff.

*yes, yes Chronicles China was decent, but i still wanted a mainline game*

it is a mainline game. Besides those nintendo DS games, all games are canon
And please explain to me how a different setting can change anything?

You will have flag or glitch animus to found, eagle tower etc... that is AC from syria to Boston to Paris and even in Egypt or Asia

and PLEASE stop saying ubisoft will never do a China or Japan game, ACC China is a PREQUEL to the Shao Jun story

KingJ2002

Ubisoft has finally come to reason.

Assassins Creed needs to be a bi-annual release. it's good for the franchise as well as others in their vault.

They could look to bring back the prince of persia franchise and alternate between them. Or test the waters with new franchises,... either way. A 2017 release in Egypt is a breath of fresh air.

Now...

If they pull a Exodus: Gods and Kings, Gods of Egypt, or Cleopatra with the casting... and just Whitewash them for the sake of "familiarity" or some other bullshit excuse... then they might as well throw this game to the fire.

emag

In regards to a possible trilogy I hope they don't go back to Rome, I know ancient Rome is much older than the Renaissance period but still.

Will there be huge time leaps between games? The Old Kingdom pyramid-builders of Egypt were around 2000 years before the Greek city-states, and the Hellenic alliance had their war with Persia 500 years before the Roman Empire was born with Julius Caesar. (As noted earlier, the Roman Empire is chronologically closer to the present day than to the Egypt's Old Kingdom.)

The leak also said that Prince of Persia is dead:
Forget Prince of Persia. It will never come back. The reason why AC exists at all is because PoP meant Ubi has to pay for license, since they don't own the IP. AC is Ubi's own IP, so merchandising and all that shit is theirs to keep. PoP is financially not worth it.
Goodnight, sweet prince.

Dunno if it's worth its own thread.

It's a shame that the only AC that everybody is hating is the one they make in 4 and half years...
I assume that in few years people will look back and see how wonderful and amazing Unity is.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Glad that I have more time to play Syndicate. It's not quite as cheap as I am willing to pay for it yet, and this means I can wait longer.
Ancient Egypt would be exciting for sure.

Mendax

It's a shame that the only AC that everybody is hating is the one they make in 4 and half years...
I assume that in few years people will look back and see how wonderful and amazing Unity is.

i loved it, and i want to see where the story goes after dead kings.if they are really rebooting this its lame

Glad they realized that it was time to give it a break in order to try and make something fresh.

You know that only Brotherhood and Rogue were made in one year right?

i loved it, and i want to see where the story goes after dead kings.if they are really rebooting this its lame

That's not a reboot. It's just the first time we will see a time period BEFORE AC1, BEFORE the Assassins and the Templars. Bellec in AC5, Shaun in AC6 and many files in the two episodes AC4 (Black Flag & Rogue) teased us about that.
But you will still have the present.

All of the stories are still canon. And the writer of Black Flag and Rogue said he will make an episode with the end story of Connor/Shay and Arno.
The only thing we know about Egypt:

Before Assassin and Templar , two factions: Faction of Cain, Faction of Abel (it's the split between the two son of Adam and Eve that create the two lineage faction).
There is a statue of an Assassin girl under Monterrigionni in AC2 that is Egyptian from that Ancient time.

the correct move.

i just hope i can jump and run where i want to in the next game, been waiting for that feature for 8 years or so now. a decade when the game releases. so i expect it to control well.

Squire

Banned
I hope it's Darby McDavitt writing this one. He did Black Flag and that story was pretty great, I thought. Lovely ending. Before Christmas H e was tweeting about the research he did for that one.

I hope it's a soft reboot at least, I don't mind a future story but the current one is going absolutely nowhere.

Hopefully Kotaku don't get thrown in a Gulag for confirming this, they are so brave.

Yo they are going full anime with this judging from the current-day ending of Syndicate. The story is definitely going SOMEWHERE, don't know if it will be somewhere we want it to go, but it is going nonetheless

Speaking of gulags, I was sincerely hoping this year's outing would be set in Russia during the Russian Revolution. We are already getting a 2D version of AC:Russia but I was seriously hoping for a mainline game in this historic setting.

Top Bottom