• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Next Assassin's Creed codenamed "Empires"; set in Egypt, coming 2017

The problem is that it's Assassin's Creed.

The whole Animus plot and "peering into the memories of DNA" just really cheapens the whole thing to me.

Ditch the stupid modern sub plot and I would strongly consider it.

Unity isn't ACV, Syndicate isn't ACVI. This is not going to be ACVII.

You need to watch the making of Syndicate. It show "AC VI" for Syndicate on developer's computers. In fact, the first name was "VIctory" to make a joke with the VI.
All AC (beside Brotherhood, and maybe rogue) are independant so...It's like final fantasy. The only thing that tied them up is the present storyline (which is really bad since day one)

Funnily enough, we do know something about Ratonhnhaké:ton future after the events of the game. He eventually married a blonde woman and had multiple children. The woman later left him and took the children with her. He then died alone.

Ratonhnhaké:ton had a hard life, man.

Is there somewhere I could read up on this? The writers are so cruel to the nicest assassin...

The whole Animus plot and "peering into the memories of DNA" just really cheapens the whole thing to me.

This. Always hated it. It's such an immersion breaker imo.

Is there somewhere I could read up on this? The writers are so cruel to the nicest assassin...

read emails or explore present timeline, or go assassinscreed wikia :p

They also introduce the idea in AC4 that the assassin during the world war II could be a Edelweiss Pirates which is...really cool. A new approch of that world conflict

This. Always hated it. It's such an immersion breaker imo.
Which is ironic considering that its there to explain that immersion.

I don't mind them keeping it, as it does allow them to do some pretty creative things, but they can't half ass it and just keep stringing along their nonsense conspiracy crap. Have a real arc and take players on a journey done justice or just ditch it.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Syndicate's surprisingly good but I'm glad the series is finally getting a break (as short as it may be).

hopefully the extra year of optimization can get the visuals back to where Unity was while actually running well. maybe they can finally fix the damn controls too. the setting and gameplay changes sound interesting.

it's a bummer if there is indeed a decreased emphasis on parkour with this one though.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This is completely unexpected for me. Here I was nearly positive that the next overhaul would be featuring cowboys considering the sheer amount of hints they've been dropping lately. Or something featuring Lydia Frye in WW1 considering the writer recently said that he thought they were doing something with her.

Ubi's official statement:

"We can’t comment on rumor or speculation. We’re always happy when players are excited about our games, past, present and future. In the meantime, we hope that the latest images from the Assassin’s Creed movie set will keep fans of the franchise happy and eager to find out more!"

Vibranium

Banned
Crazy how one year is considered a break for this series. It should never have been annualized.

I remember in 2011 a Ubi exec lied through his teeth and said there was going to a one year break between Brotherhood and the next game (presumed to be ACIII). Then Revelations happened.

Crossing Eden

I remember in 2011 a Ubi exec lied through his teeth and said there was going to a one year break between Brotherhood and the next game (presumed to be ACIII). Then Revelations happened.
Revelations was made in ten months. There was a bit of miscommunication there. Watch interviews and such and the team for that game looked absolutely exhausted, the creative director in particular was so exhausted that he needed a break and came onto the Unity project two years after it had started.

I hope that the new setting will offer tight corridors, uneven paths, many buildings, and unique architecture. I dont want large open areas that are sparse, I want densely packed cities in the AC games. I like walking around and blending in with the crowd, makes me feel like a real assassin!

Ubi's official statement:
Sounds a little too convenient. Time to get to work decoding it.

kWQopeI.jpg

the mythology of AC is really good with the Inu and even in the Present.

It's how they use it that's bad. It's really amazing the number of characters they create in the present. It's not just demond, warren, shaun and rebecca

Johndoey

Banned

I hope this never happens only part I always enjoy.

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
I'm currently playing trough Syndicate right now (about 30% done) and I'm really liking it so far. Believe it or not, this is my first Assassin's Creed game ever... My only gripe with it is the Control (PC with Xbox One Controller) . it might be just me but I really feel the character controls is lousy and kind of sluggish. Anyone feel the same?

I heard Unity was a buggy mess. Did they patched it yet? Should I bother getting it after I'm done with Syndicate?

You need to watch the making of Syndicate. It show "AC VI" for Syndicate on developer's computers. In fact, the first name was "VIctory" to make a joke with the VI.
All AC (beside Brotherhood, and maybe rogue) are independant so...It's like final fantasy. The only thing that tied them up is the present storyline (which is really bad since day one)

This isn't true, brotherhood, and revelations are direct sequels to AC2. Also, revelations features Altair the assassin from AC1. AC3, 4, and Syndicate are connected via the Kenways.

I'm currently playing trough Syndicate right now (about 30% done) and I'm really liking it so far. Believe it or not, this is my first Assassin's Creed game ever... My only gripe with it is the Control (PC with Xbox One Controller) . it might be just me but I really feel the character controls is lousy and kind of sluggish. Anyone feel the same?

I heard Unity was a buggy mess. Did they patched it yet? Should I bother getting it after I'm done with Syndicate?

it depends how syndicate run on your PC.
Unity demand much more requirements , in this game you can enter in monuments without loadings.
Monuments aren't part of Syndicate =( you can only enter in some buildings or pubs (but i'm at 30% at the beginning of sequence 5)

Heh, first year since when Revelations' came out that I won't be playing an AC game in a whole year. Kind of a weird feeling, I might get onto the DLC of Unity and Syndicate to scratch my everlasting AC itch.

Vibranium

Banned
Revelations was made in ten months. There was a bit of miscommunication there. Watch interviews and such and the team for that game looked absolutely exhausted, the creative director in particular was so exhausted that he needed a break and came onto the Unity project two years after it had started.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I was never sure what was up with that statement.

Lots of interesting stuff behind the scenes, like when Patrice left.

This isn't true, brotherhood, and revelations are direct sequels to AC2. Also, revelations features Altair the assassin from AC1. AC3, 4, and Syndicate are connected via the Kenways.

yes there is many tied but they're not really important.
For example in Syndicate a new player will say about kenway manor "ok i need to play the piracy games to learn more about this guy and his son Haytham"
it's link.

That don't need a real compréhension of the universe that AC made, not like brotherhood (which is a sequel) or Rogue (which is really an AC Revelation this time with links about the Ezio box, Connor, Haytham and Arno).

This would destroy the series. The modern story part is what connects each game. They just have to do it better and they need to have a plan.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I was never sure what was up with that statement.

Lots of interesting stuff behind the scenes, like when Patrice departed halfway through Brotherhood.

Wut? They began to work on Unity in 2010, not 2011. Desilet was part of that project because he hinted french revolution on the Temple (brotherhood dlc) and he really wants to go back to the roots: prepare assassination, great population and this time enter inside buildings.
He's the one who create that new button for "parkour down"

Gemüsepizza;191248946 said:
This would destroy the series. The modern story part is what connects each game. They just have to do it better and they need to have a plan.

there is no plan. What plan de you want? I don't play for the present game but for history and visiting countries.

What do you want? All the answers about the Inus? Destroy Abstergo? That will never end.

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
it depends how syndicate run on your PC.
Unity demand much more requirements , in this game you can enter in monuments without loadings.
Monuments aren't part of Syndicate =( you can only enter in some buildings or pubs (but i'm at 30% at the beginning of sequence 5)

Tbh I'm pretty disappointed at how Syndicate run. I shouldn't expect much (670, 8GB, i7 3770) but after playing Witcher 3 with pretty much everything at high, I find Syndicate unoptimized. I guess I'll just wait to get a new card next year.

Vibranium

Banned
Wut? They began to work on Unity in 2010, not 2011. Desilet was part of that project because he hinted french revolution on the Temple (brotherhood dlc) and he really wants to go back to the roots: prepare assassination, great population and this time enter inside buildings.

Damn, another thing I didn't know :p

CHC

So does "Egypt" imply Ancient Egypt then?

I could go for a Lawrence of Arabia vibe too, if they keep pushing further forward in time.

Damn, another thing I didn't know :p

Well after Desilet "out" , the guy from Revelation take the project and deliver us the same bad "love" story again (i didn't like the story with Ezio and that girl).
They keep the new gameplay
Scale Paris and monuments inside
Black box mission to prepare assassination

It's a shame that the series feels like it requires it. I wish it was an option to avoid or pursue that sub plot if you desired.

Never again do I want to be enjoying my romp through the world to be jarringly yanked from the matrix and be forced to sneak into a skyscraper office and do a stupid computer hacking mini-games. BLEH lol

So does "Egypt" imply Ancient Egypt then?

I could go for a Lawrence of Arabia vibe too, if they keep pushing further forward in time.

Ancient Egypt. Before the 11 century. They want to make Roma again and Grece too in sequels.
So maybe Jules Cesar will be in it (relationship with cleopatra, killed by Brutus...)

It's a shame that the series feels like it requires it. I wish it was an option to avoid or pursue that sub plot if you desired.

Never again do I want to be enjoying my romp through the world to be jarringly yanked from the matrix and be forced to sneak into a skyscraper office and do a stupid computer hacking mini-games. BLEH lol

at the beginning of the project, the present timeline was an "excuse" to explain the travel through time. Present timeline isn't the heart of AC for Desilet and Raymond. It was the vehicule.

That's not true, all the games (don't know about the 2D spin offs and mobile games) are connected in the past too, with several reference to previous character, storyline based on those characters, cameos and so on.

That's not true, all the games (don't know about the 2D spin offs and mobile games) are connected in the past too, with several reference to previous character, storyline based on those characters, cameos and so on.

chronicles are canon. In fact it tells the story of shao jun after she was trained by Ezio and she takes "the box".
India will tell the story of arbaaz Mir which is the father of Henry Green in Syndicate.

In each game there is "numbers" hidden. But with only China out, no one decode that code yet.
the numbers in China: http://thehiddenblade.com/ac-china-cryptic-numbers

Crossing Eden

They began work on Unity in 2010 but Alex was offered the role of creative director from the onset. He was offered both at the same time.

Luke_Wal

Interesting how the 4chan poster notes that "you have a pet eagle that you can control." I wonder if it's using the same take from the Eagle Flight VR game that Ubisoft showed off at PSX? Or the Far Cry Primal falcon/owl stuff?

Also: when 4chan poster says "the original game had Greece but it was cut due to scaling reasons," he's referring to the original design doc for Empire and NOT AC1, correct? That makes a lot more sense. I would be interested to see if the game delves at all into the merging of Egyptian and Greek culture and the Ptolemaic Dynasty - lasted from 305BC to 30BC. That with the time of Alexander the Great and ended with Cleopatra (which was also the end of ancient Egypt), and since Cleopatra is such a well-known historical figure, I really wouldn't be surprised to see it end up taking place in those years. It would also account for overlap with Greek culture/a character being in both places, since they were kind of part of the same empire.

EDIT: The more I look at this history, I'm convinced that the games might take place around 31BC, which was the death of Cleopatra and ancient Egypt, in the middle of the reign of Caesar, and the time that Greece was occupied by Rome. If the "trilogy" is really going to cross over between these three empires, this would probably be the time to do it. If not then, you would have to go back until at least 146BC, when Greece became a Roman protectorate.

Eh? They solved this issue perfectly with Syndicate - the modern stuff is very infrequent and only cut-scenes.

You can understand why it's essential though, right? It's what ties all the different settings and time periods together. Without it they wouldn't have been able to create a series that keeps jumping from one location and time period to another. Now that those time jumps are an established part of the series and expected, they can get away with almost no modern elements in the games at all (see Unity and Syndicate).

I should confess I was a fan of the Desmond story, but now that it's over I'm glad to see them staying away from a new interactive modern era. It really didn't work well in Black Flag, and it's not essential for the well established story any more.

Eh? They solved this issue perfectly with Syndicate - the modern stuff is very infrequent and only cut-scenes.

Audio files too... people should really catch animus glitch in London, you will learn interesting things about what Abstergo was doing during Desmond escape...

Top Bottom