• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Next Assassin's Creed codenamed "Empires"; set in Egypt, coming 2017

NoKisum

Egypt? Finally, an interesting location. If it looks good, might make this my first AC purchase.

Now let's go to China or Japan or India in 2018
or 2019 if the series is going biannual.

I hope they let us manually control our character in this one =X

Anyway, good on Ubi for indeed giving their games the time they need.

KorrZ

Egypt or Ancient Rome would be an insta-buy for me.

Syndicate was really good so here's hoping the extra dev time really pays off for them.

Jumeira

Banned
Yeah, they got to get rid of that haystack mechanic. Where anything else in your path is instant death, but a haystack is fair game. Gliding would be a better option, ziplining but no more god damn haystack. And get rid of eagle vision, another poorly implented mechanic, over the top filter for highlighting characters. At least in Witcher things where varied. And another thing, stupic auto stealth bushes are meaningless. I hate those, rather control stealth myself.

Copy MGS5 for stealth and acrobats. Reduce the free flowing movement as its not rewarding anymore to push up and have the character do everything.

well no, looks like Galina Voronova will be the main character of the franchise now.

I'm talking gameplay-wise, not story-wise >.>

I guess another way to phrase that would be: "please don't map every action of my character to holding down one button".

I'm okay with the modern day whatever-they're-doing. I just want to see improvements on the gameplay.

Good, I was afraid of them moving forward constantly in the timeline. I think only Black Flag went "backwards" in time. I absolutely do not want an AC set in modern or close to modern times.

Also good on them for not having a 2016 release. Give us some breathing room. I can't imagine their studios can really take a moment to put out a fantastic game if they have to keep up the yearly releases. Unity definitely ended up looking like it should've been a 2015 title, and perhaps this game is launching 2017 because if it was this year instead it would've basically been another super ambitious game coming out completely broken like Unity was.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Really getting excited now, trusting you Ubisoft to deliver a polished product, it may not be GOTY-worthy but I'll be already happy if you change stuff around and get it done well.

jelly

Nice change of setting if true but will they actually use the time to innovate and make Assassins Creed play better. If I hear "We've redone the combat from the ground up" /watches video, uh huh, maybe next year...

woen

So they decided to go without a main game the year when they have their first movie. Surprising, but that offsets for the fans. We may see a "collection" (with remasters?) though.

It was time I guess. AC is a lot of cash for them so that means we'll have a bunch of AAA from Ubi to, one again, offset. I didn't yet play Syndicate (waiting for a new PC) so that'll leave to me for 2016. I didn't mind the annual releases since I like the formula/universe/gameplay but I wouldn't mind a proper restart (more than a reboot).

They'll likely go back in time. I guess somewhere during Roman Empire, so that they could stay in the say timeframe and geographic area (as said in the Kotaku article). Just give me some HBO's ROME's mise en scène.

They need to optimize the game for the consoles. I can't believe that the game is so beautiful on PC (and runs not so well) while it shows little graphical performance on PS4. The gap is too leap too soon in the gen.

Egypt also means the comeback of the tombs and hopefully more exploration-parkour, even though you won't have Paris or London buildings (more like AC1).

I hope a possible 3 games plan means a proper trilogy with a strong link between them (like Desmond's story).

Egypt? Finally, an interesting location.

The Middle-East Crusades, Italy's Renaissance, Ottoman Constantinople's rise, the American Revolution, the Golden Age of Piracy in the Caribbean, the French Revolution in Paris and the Industrial Revolution in Victorian London....such BORING, uninteresting locations.

UrbanRats

They still sell 2 digits millions of units, it's not like the series can't even reach 5 million now.

They have very high expectations for the series, obviously.
And they could probably foresee the series trend down, were they to continue to shit out sequels once a year, with lack of polish and minimal improvements.

BlizzKrut

Banned
They have very high expectations for the series, obviously.
And they could probably foresee the series trend down, were they to continue to shit out sequels once a year, with lack of polish and minimal improvements.

True that, hoping this will play out well for Ubi, don't wish them any harm, they just need to go back up from last year's press they got.

Related? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708121

HP5tg.jpg

Why does that child on the left have such a wide stance.

???
tumblr_ncmcmjlUQK1r7u0l1o1_1280.jpg

Spizz

Banned
So happy to hear this. I haven't even seen the game yet I'm already excited lol. Also, it's interesting to hear about Watch_Dogs 2 in San Francisco. I hope that game can be for WD what AC2 was for AC.

ZeroX03

Banned
They've needed an off-year to catch up for a long time, it should have happened with Unity but at least it's finally happening.

Ancient Egypt sounds good too, and the Black Flag team made the best AC yet.

Maybe Rogue can finally get that filler slot it's been waiting for.

KDC720

A year break is nice, will give me plenty of time to get through Rouge and Syndicate. Egypt should be a cool setting too, a nice break from all the European stuff at least.

Loxley

As someone who's been mostly positive on this series for the past 5-6 years, hearing there won't be a new one this year only makes me feel relieved.

Absolutely, I enjoy this franchise despite its faults but I'm thrilled to hear they're taking a year off.

Loxley

I'd say even 2017 is too soon, but at least they're actually taking a year off.

If it is indeed the core Black Flag team behind the game, they've already been working on it for two+ years. Another year and a half or two of development time seems like plenty to give the franchise a bit of a soft reboot.

_woLf

I repeat again that will not change the gameplay of the game. Eagle tower, eagle vision, 200 flags or glitch to catch, assassination missions...
In Japan or Austria or whatever, AC is AC.
You don't expect Grey's Anatomy to be like Columbo do you? =D

Why does it matter? I'd like to see an assassin's game in that setting. Setting of the games is a huge deal to how much I enjoy it. I loved Brotherhood because of Rome.

Lucreto

Are we sure it's Ancient Egypt?

Egypt has a long history and they could easily to during Napoleons campaign in Egypt.

Purely by changing the thread title release date to 2016, I wonder how positive this thread would've been.

Assassins-Creed-4-Freedom-Cry-5.jpg

Also, despite being a medium sized DLC add-on, a lot of cynical/edgy people seem to forget Ubi have done a Black protagonist.

DLC?
We had a whole game..
ztGIdRa.jpg

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Hope the game is a more cohesive experience finally moves away from the same formula.

Top Bottom