• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Corto

Pre-built PCs are a thing. They may cost more, but they will last far longer than an iterative console model performance wise. Even a low-mid tier gaming PC outperforms consoles. Complexity is fast becoming a non-issue with the platform from a consumer standpoint. PC gaming has skyrocketed in recent years. Not to mention the biggest seller: it's a completely open platform. As consoles edge closer and closer to being PCs, going iterative just gives more incentive to make the jump.

Gaming on a PC has never been easier, and is very affordable. Games are cheaper on PC than on consoles. Online is always free. I'm not sure what you mean by more polished software. PC has very tangible advantages and consoles going to a more frequent refresh rate just means PC poses a better investment.

But the irony is that it seems that Microsoft is trying to "consolize" the PC space in terms of a closed ecosystem with a walled garden business model in terms of distribution of software. If that is indeed Microsoft plan then PC will lose one of its most important advantages.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Has anyone posted this yet? It seems to confirm this from a different source. http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/19/p...held-update-strategy-makes-sense-to-anaylsts/

Analysts think it’s possible that Sony and Microsoft could start applying Nintendo’s iterative strategy for handhelds to home consoles to release a new PS4 (which many are dubbing PS4.5 and PS4K) or an updated Xbox One. Coming out of the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco this week, Kotaku reported a rumor that Sony is showing developers a revamped version of its home console. The improved PS4 reportedly has more horsepower and the capability to output 4K visuals. Sony has not confirmed this, but we’ve spoken to a handful of industry insiders who are not surprised by this leak — others mentioned they couldn’t comment due to a nondisclosure agreement. Rumors of a mid-cycle PS4 upgrade was something a few were hearing even before Microsoft gaming boss Phil Spencer spoke about introducing iterative improvements to the Xbox One hardware during a spring showcase for Microsoft games. Now it appears that both major console manufacturers could have new hardware in the near future.

Aceofspades

Banned
But, we will not need to get rid of launch PS4. Upgrade is not mandatory as long as same software is released for both.

So whats the point of this stop gap machine if devs don't utilize it to the metal ( main advantages of consoles).

Sony will face some issues in this case:

- if devs go all out with the new machine, PS4 ports will suffer.

- if the devs don't, the new machine potential will never be realized as normal console do.

I'd rather Sony stick to normal console cycles and go all out with PS5.

of course this post in case PS4.5 has a huge difference in power to PS4, if its just a scaler chip and new ports it would be fine to me.

MogCakes

Exclusives, lack of driver updates/issues, better game support post launch, better and larger mp environment (and much less cheating), better and easier social interaction, easiness of use.

And also fuck win10 and m$ desire to force uwp integration.

Basically the only thing that stops me from going PC would be mid-cycle console hardware upgrade. And a 3-4 years console refresh would not be more frequent than on PC with new parts coming out every 1-2 years.

PC has exclusives in spades if this is going to turn into another console vs PC war. Drivers/updates on GPUs is handled seamlessly, by Nvidia at least. Game patches are fast. There are games on PC that are still alive and kicking years after release. Devs are generally good about patching out exploits ASAP on games. Social interaction is -far- easier on PC than on consoles. Consoles' biggest advantage over PC is ease of use, but at this point in time with system updates, patches, game patches, DLC, install times and so forth being prevalent on consoles as well, the waters have become muddied.

Upgrades will never be as frequent as the PC. New motherboards, new SSDs, new GPUs, new cooling solutions, new cases are always around the corner in PC. We are talking about closed boxes with fixed hardware released every 3-4 years to take advantage of new hardware at a reasonable price point while easily maintaining forward compatibility because they're using the same processor architecture.

Not sure what you're getting at. My point was going iterative on a frequent cycle breaks down another difference between consoles and PCs. The refresh rate for consoles won't be as often, that doesn't mean the difference hasn't been severely diminished.

But the irony is that it seems that Microsoft is trying to "consolize" the PC space in terms of a closed ecosystem with a walled garden business model in terms of distribution of software. If that is indeed Microsoft plan then PC will lose one of its most important advantages.

MS will not be able to monopolize the PC platform, not without other companies all over the world across the board fighting it tooth and nail, not to mention public image and loyalty to Steam. I can guarantee that. PC will remain an open ecosystem for the foreseeable future.

LostDonkey

Guys, ps4.5 /ps4k is not true and is totally made up by kotaku to generate clicks.

Now Hulk Hogan has pretty much killed gawker and all its sites, they need to earn as much money as quick as they can.

This story is an ad revenue cash grab from Kotaku, and should not be taken seriously.
-----
Also expect more cash grab story's in the new few weeks from ALL gawker sites.

Er....wut

I can't. ..

krang

I just don't want to buy a PS4 now when this new model might be out soon, if that happens the current model will (I assume) suddenly go down in price, and the new version will be the better model to have going forward

So to buy now is to pay more for the standard PS4, if I wait I can either buy the PS4K or I can decide to get the standard one for cheaper

This rumour has stopped me from considering a PS4 until things are clearer, which they may well be after E3, but if this story is not true at all or if they're just preliminary plans for the PS5 then Sony needs to act now by making things clear

Yeah I've already advised friends to wait and see rather than to jump in for PSVR

I was going to wait till E3 anyway so hopefully things will be clearer by then

I think, with being aware of any rumour floating around about an upgraded console, you'd be a mug to buy one right now unless you really can't hold off for whatever reason (Uncharted, for example).

oti

Banned
Guys, ps4.5 /ps4k is not true and is totally made up by kotaku to generate clicks.

Now Hulk Hogan has pretty much killed gawker and all its sites, they need to earn as much money as quick as they can.

This story is an ad revenue cash grab from Kotaku, and should not be taken seriously.
-----

This thread keeps on giving.

oni-link

I think, with being aware of any rumour floating around about an upgraded console, you'd be a mug to buy one right now unless you really can't hold off for whatever reason (Uncharted, for example).

If they're not clarifying things now because they don't want to ruin their E3 show that's fine, in that case it's just unfortunate the rumour got out

If we're still in the dark on this after E3 it will be a problem

Ferr986

Upgrades will never be as frequent as the PC. New motherboards, new SSDs, new GPUs, new cooling solutions, new cases are always around the corner in PC. We are talking about closed boxes with fixed hardware released every 3-4 years to take advantage of new hardware at a reasonable price point while easily maintaining forward compatibility because they're using the same processor architecture.

You're guys sure are reaching talking about PC costs.

You don't ever need to upgrade your case, all components are keep the same size for a reason.

I already posted about the need of new CPU/Mobos.

New SSD is just the same as consoles. Remember all PS4 games are installed on the HDD no matter what, so you either upgrade your HDD or delete stuff. Just like in PC.

And cooling solutions are only for overclocking. It's not required in any way. Hell, a lot of GPUs can get decent OCs with stock cooling and voltages.

Again, at this point it alls on upgrading your GPU every 3-4 years, and a GPU around 200ish € range is going to be better than the new current console.

hemo memo

Gold Member

-----

.... Just think about it for a minute.

Sjefen

I am all for it, more power every 2-3 years, great stuff. If they could have a return policy on old hardware, even better

-----

hqdefault.jpg

Gurish

-----

The reveal is going to be so painful for some of you :/

EDIT:

Here is another source:
Has anyone posted this yet? It seems to confirm this from a different source. http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/19/p...held-update-strategy-makes-sense-to-anaylsts/

Still think it's a KOTAKU click generator article?
VB are also lying for the clicks?

-----

Kotaku aren't going to raise that kind of money off clicks, and I'm gonna give their thought process a little more cred than that.

I would be cool with it if the Playstation 5 started using a modular design with new modular parts being made available every few years, as long as that modular part was cheap, and not as expensive as say some of the mid-high graphics cards being manufactured for AMD and nVidia. I think this whole PS4.5 would be pretty difficult though seeing as the current Playstation doesn't look all that upgradeable.

Er....wut

I can't. ..

Your avatar is hilarious.

Gurish

For sega? Not so good.

For me? Awwwww yyeeeahhhh

tumblr_no6560OZpy1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Those days of getting our minds blown from visuals we've never seen before are not coming back ha?

I mean obviously there are amazing looking games today, but I feel like the big WOW that feels kind of surreal and like a dream because you are so amazed will never come back.

I think that even If I could control a Pixar's visuals game it won't be the same like seeing MGS2 for the first time, or even Aladdin on the Snes as a child, it will still be incredible and I'm looking forward for that day, but it will never be the same as seeing ugly visuals become pretty for the first time.

Guerrilla

Those days of getting our minds blown from visuals we've never seen before are not coming back ha?

I mean obviously there are amazing looking games today, but I feel like the big WOW that feels kind of surreal and like a dream because you are so amazed will never come back.

I think that even If I could control a Pixar's visuals game it won't be the same like seeing MGS2 for the first time, or even Aladdin on the Snes as a child.

VR...

But regarding general graphics I 100% agree with you. Nothing can give me that sense of awe these days

krang

I would be cool with it if the Playstation 5 started using a modular design with new modular parts being made available every few years, as long as that modular part was cheap, and not as expensive as say some of the mid-high graphics cards being manufactured for AMD and nVidia. I think this whole PS4.5 would be pretty difficult though seeing as the current Playstation doesn't look all that upgradeable.

Nope. Nope nope nope nope nope.

Iterative revisions with forwards compatibility is alright. Upgradable consoles are not.

Wonko_C

Lol no. An +6 years old CPU is still more than enough and leaps better than a PS4.

You'll only need to replace GPU and it would be cheaper than what you get in a possible PS4.5

The Core i7 960 can still play games better than a PS4? I should have waited a year instead of getting a Core2 Duo that can't play Rise of The Tomb Raider at higher than 20fps. :(

Wil348

-----

ITS A CONSPIRACY I TELLS YA.

Ushay

I can just imagine Sony "remastering" PS4 1.0 games for this upgraded model.

No thanks.

This is one of the things I'm dreading for both consoles. If they try to pull the re-remaster bullshit on us I'll defo reconsider getting one. Any upgrades should be free patches for existing games.

krang

This is one of the things I'm dreading for both consoles. If they try to pull the re-remaster bullshit on us I'll defo reconsider getting one. Any upgrades should be free patches for existing games.

Absolutely. Free or just not at all. Either is fine, really.

spwolf

That is not what I am saying. Like in one of my previous posts, having 2 different versions of console games, completely negates the whole idea of console hardware optimized gaming.

Consoloes will basically evolve completely into PC gaming. We will have different versions which will pretty much ensure that neither version is 100% optimized, so in a sense we will essentially be constantly in a "cross-gen" phase.

thats not true at all... there would be no reason to have 2 game versions, it is same game with already existing options turned on/off.

Also, comparing this with 5000 possible configurations of PC hardware is silly and uninformed.

We have people spending large sums of money to get SSD into their PS4's to improve loading times and these users are also PS4 users. If they want to have PS4+ that will only bring positive sides to your own PS4 experience since it will extend the life of the platform.

AP90

Sony is probably in part doing it as a way to ensure PSVR's success..as to achieve their desired frame rate while maintaining some graphics power will require a boost IMO. What, about 2.5 years into this GEN and we are already seeing sub 1080p graphics on PS4. Wonder if third party devs are pushing for the refresh as well? Not sure if the change will actually create problems for them as the new console iterations will just be beefed up hardware and not an architecture change..

We will essentially be having the Xbox1 becoming the Xbox 360 and the PS4 becoming the PS3 in respect that games will be released for them along with the Xbox1.5 and PS4.5 . A new game released by ND let's say game X will work on both iterations (PS4 and PS4.5), with a line of code that prob just recognizes what iteration of the console you are using.. If you are using the PS4.5, then it will automatically set the settings higher.

These are my thoughts.

Man, I pre-ordered a PSVR and was even ready to pay more than the price I really hoped for and I'm very hype.

But if that PS4.5 comes out at the end of the year and significantly boosts PSVR performance, I'm not sure I'll hold on to that pre-order. No way in hell am I going to pay 400$ for an upgrade!
Yeah I know, in theory I will still get the same promised VR experience but deep down I'll just think:"fu, I could have an even better time with the PS4.5!"

Rift and Vive is out of reach, so I wouldn't waste a thought on it, PS4.5 on the other hand might not be, at least not totally.

They need to tell us about their plans before PSVR launch or I'll be pissed, that's for sure!

Tetranet

Why people keep saying that you need to upgrade your CPU constantly when 6 years old i7 still trash over PS4 CPUs? Even the new CPUs aren that big of an improvement compared to old Sandy Bridge.

Show us a computer with that hardware trashing the PS4 in performance and image quaility on the same games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Whatever happened to vgleaks? It seems to have turned into a relay of rumours from other sites rather than an original source of info. Time to put an ear to the ground again.

If you pay full price for Xbox live/PS+, you would spend an additional 200 dollars for 4 years. That money could easily be used to buy a GPU.

Lets also say it cost 400 every 3-4 years for a new version of the console. That money could easily be put towards a CPU/motherboard/ram combo. You might end up paying a bit more, but it has a longer expectancy then consoles. Some people are still on their i5 2500k. That came out in 2011 and is still viable for pc gaming.

jeffram

So whats the point of this stop gap machine if devs don't utilize it to the metal ( main advantages of consoles).

Sony will face some issues in this case:

- if devs go all out with the new machine, PS4 ports will suffer.

- if the devs don't, the new machine potential will never be realized as normal console do.

I'd rather Sony stick to normal console cycles and go all out with PS5.

of course this post in case PS4.5 has a huge difference in power to PS4, if its just a scaler chip and new ports it would be fine to me.
Why couldn't they utilize it? Most games are multi-platform and developed on PC. They seem to come out supporting PS4, XB1 and PC (with all the variance in hardware) just fine.

All that's happening here is that they will also be optimizing for PS4K. That would really just entail pulling in some of the PC specific effects into the PS4 disc and allowing for higher resolution/faster framerate.

That's why it's called the PS4.5 or 4K or whatever you want to call it and not the PS5... it's going to be the same games on the same disc but allowing for better performance. You're black and white view of min/maxing one or the other is not a certainty here, nor is it likely.

tomhan

I see this as a very intelligent, forward thinking move by Sony to develop this new iteration of a PS4. The only mistake they made is that the information about it leaked too early. It may slow the adoption of the PS4 a little but since they have a commanding lead in console sales this generation they probably aren't too worried.

Sony sees the writing on the wall on how Microsoft is planning to move to this iterative model for both the Xbox One. Microsoft will need to implement this plan really well in order to win over hearts and minds and if the past couple years have been an indicator I doubt that they can do this.

Sony on the other hand has already done an excellent job this generation of rebuilding brand loyalty and have made the PS4 sales juggernaut that they had hoped for and have gotten people back into their ecosystem.

Sony's biggest mistake now would be to sit back now and say "well we won the generation, we don't need to do much for the next 5 or 6 years". This new iteration of the PS4 will keep people that are willing to pay a premium for the most powerful console in their ecosystem while still taking advantage of their huge install base.

Sony just needs to make sure they can thread the needle on the messaging so they don't anger the current PS4 owners too much.

dose

Sony is probably in part doing it as a way to ensure PSVR's success
How is this going to ensure its success when 30+million people have the current PS4, and not this supposed faster one? That makes no sense.
So your thinking is that Sony thinks that people are going to upgrade to the latest PS4 AND buy the headset too? Crazy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you pay full price for Xbox live/PS+, you would spend an additional 200 dollars for 4 years. That money could easily be used to buy a GPU.

Lets also say it cost 400 every 3-4 years for a new version of the console. That money could easily be put towards a CPU/motherboard/ram combo. You might end up paying a bit more, but it has a longer expectancy then consoles. Some people are still on their i5 2500k. That came out in 2011 and is still viable for pc gaming.

If people are willing to spend hundreds of dollars every few years to upgrade their PCs, isn't it possible that some console owners may also be willing to spend to upgrade their consoles? The whole 'fixed spec 5 years thing' isn't the only reason people buy consoles - they like the simplicity and directness (even if they pretty much are PCs in a small box these days).

Dahaka

How is this going to ensure its success when 30+million people have the current PS4, and not this supposed faster one? That makes no sense.
So your thinking is that Sony thinks that people are going to upgrade to the latest PS4 AND buy the headset too? Crazy.

Easy. 30 million+ PS4s with the same game as the PS4K, just with lesser details. Market is growing faster than in the last decades. Can't adapt if cycles are too long.

PSVR will get a successor with PS5. I would bet on it.

Why even be an early adopter anymore? I sure won't be one if there is a PS5. I am sure plenty of people would do the same. Why buy early when you get launch titles and an inferior hardware?

The God

I see this as a very intelligent, forward thinking move by Sony to develop this new iteration of a PS4. The only mistake they made is that the information about it leaked too early. It may slow the adoption of the PS4 a little but since they have a commanding lead in console sales this generation they probably aren't too worried.

Sony sees the writing on the wall on how Microsoft is planning to move to this iterative model for both the Xbox One. Microsoft will need to implement this plan really well in order to win over hearts and minds and if the past couple years have been an indicator I doubt that they can do this.

Sony on the other hand has already done an excellent job this generation of rebuilding brand loyalty and have made the PS4 sales juggernaut that they had hoped for and have gotten people back into their ecosystem.

Sony's biggest mistake now would be to sit back now and say "well we won the generation, we don't need to do much for the next 5 or 6 years". This new iteration of the PS4 will keep people that are willing to pay a premium for the most powerful console in their ecosystem while still taking advantage of their huge install base.

Sony just needs to make sure they can thread the needle on the messaging so they don't anger the current PS4 owners too much.
What does the bolded even mean? Not releasing an upgrade is doing nothing?

krang

"PSVR is compatible with all models of PS4. But using it with PS4U won't make you vomit".

Your marketing campaign right there, Sony.

tomhan

What does the bolded even mean? Not releasing an upgrade is doing nothing?

Yes, if the competition is likely to release an upgraded box, not having a well thought out response to that is akin to doing nothing.

I'm not saying that releasing a PS4.5 would be their only possible response but it seems like Sony has decided it is their best course of action and they are probably right.

Top Bottom