• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Why even be an early adopter anymore? I sure won't be one if there is a PS5. I am sure plenty of people would do the same. Why buy early when you get launch titles and an inferior hardware?

I'm not sure you know what the term early adopter means.

3 years after launch and tens of millions sold already doesn't make the person buying a new PS4 in March 2016 an early adopter.

LostDonkey

I would be cool with it if the Playstation 5 started using a modular design with new modular parts being made available every few years, as long as that modular part was cheap, and not as expensive as say some of the mid-high graphics cards being manufactured for AMD and nVidia. I think this whole PS4.5 would be pretty difficult though seeing as the current Playstation doesn't look all that upgradeable.

Your avatar is hilarious.

I'm glad someone finally appreciated it. lol

Jacqli

Why even be an early adopter anymore? I sure won't be one if there is a PS5. I am sure plenty of people would do the same. Why buy early when you get launch titles and an inferior hardware?

That is what I was thinking as well. Some people already wait for the slim version, but in this case the change would be greater. They could do it in this generation because it caught many of us by surprise and there are 30 millions of users. But in the following generation? Unless you really want to play a certain game… There is no reason.

I really hate this, to be honest. I just care about games and exclusives so I do not see any benefit from it if the catalogue is so stale. Some can say that I am narrow-minded, but I think that I just cope with too many negative things and this is just the nail in the coffin. It makes me sick of gaming in general.

wapplew

Yes, if the competition is likely to release an upgraded box, not having a well thought out response to that is akin to doing nothing.

I'm not saying that releasing a PS4.5 would be their only possible response but it seems like Sony has decided it is their best course of action and they are probably right.

They could just do price cut, or make video like game sharing, just make opponent look bad.

Going by the reception here, mid gen consoles seem not very popular.

Stay winning for 2 more years and release PS5 will full BC.

ironcreed

Banned

Because I will want to play the new games. Just because an upticked version comes out a couple of years or so later does not meant that my purchase was null and that I should toss my system in the trash. As it is still going to be supported with all of the games. The only difference is that I can choose when to upgrade vs waiting for the next system to come out and I take my library with me.

Seriously, if they were dumping all PS4 owners, I could see your point. But that is not the case. You can still enjoy the PS4 just as you originally planned to if you like and nothing will change. The only difference is that there will be another version of the the same system for those who want to go ahead and get a little boost. But the PS4 will still be as good as it was ever going to be. Both sides win.

If people are willing to spend hundreds of dollars every few years to upgrade their PCs, isn't it possible that some console owners may also be willing to spend to upgrade their consoles? The whole 'fixed spec 5 years thing' isn't the only reason people buy consoles - they like the simplicity and directness (even if they pretty much are PCs in a small box these days).
Some, we don't know how many.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Long as there's no 4.5 exclusive games I don't think I'll care all that much. Prettier graphics or better FPS mean very little to me. I just want to play the games. But if exclusives do start happening then I'm done with Sony.

ironcreed

Banned
Guys, ps4.5 /ps4k is not true and is totally made up by kotaku to generate clicks.

Now Hulk Hogan has pretty much killed gawker and all its sites, they need to earn as much money as quick as they can.

This story is an ad revenue cash grab from Kotaku, and should not be taken seriously.
-----
Also expect more cash grab story's in the new few weeks from ALL gawker sites.

65447443.gif

Going by the reception here, mid gen consoles seem not very popular.

Stay winning for 2 more years and release PS5 will full BC.

GAF is a niche of a niche in terms of console demographics.

And just because people here don't like the idea doesn't mean they won't buy it anyways.

If you're the type of PS4 person that posts on GAF you are the core of the core. And, if this is real, you're going to look for ways of getting a 4K tv and the new box of you can find the means to do so.

If you are on GAF and can't find the cash, you're going to be aspiring to. Either way, given the history of the console space, the core audience such as that which posts on GAF almost can't help themselves to want the newest and shiniest.

LostDonkey

Long as there's no 4.5 exclusive games I don't think I'll care all that much. Prettier graphics or better FPS mean very little to me. I just want to play the games. But if exclusives do start happening then I'm done with Sony.

I understand what you're saying. But exclusives are the system sellers for PlayStation and consoles in general. If they don't offer an incentive to buy the newer console, who will?

If every game is available on both you'll probably have a lot of people sticking with what they have for now and only the hardcore upgrading.

It's not going to be 30 million+ in the first 2 years without some exclusives, that's for sure.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

makes no sense? When would you ever buy anything - there is always something better coming

mitchlol

If you pay full price for Xbox live/PS+, you would spend an additional 200 dollars for 4 years. That money could easily be used to buy a GPU.

Lets also say it cost 400 every 3-4 years for a new version of the console. That money could easily be put towards a CPU/motherboard/ram combo. You might end up paying a bit more, but it has a longer expectancy then consoles. Some people are still on their i5 2500k. That came out in 2011 and is still viable for pc gaming.

i5 2500K with whatever Mobo/Ram was the flavour of the month for that time period is what I'm currently running now. I purchased a GTX 970 when they were on sale (under $400) and I dare say that my current PC will be more powerful or comparable to whatever the next iteration from Sony/MS is..... consider the fact that I purchased it in 2011...... PCs are not the expensive hulking and unwieldy things they may have been before. You can buy off the shelf pre-made machines with windows already installed. Steam games are always cheaper than the offerings from MS/Sony and there is no online subscription to play with friends.

I wish someone would do a serious breakdown of costs and highlight the fact that PCs outside of the initial purchase are actually not expensive at all. My PC runs whatever games are coming out, at 60fps in 1080p resolution with graphic settings and effects turned up. Yes the console is more simple because it is plug and play but with day 1 updates and console versions running sub 30fps (Fallout 4) I don't know if I will buy into the console space again....

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Jacqli said:
I really hate this, to be honest. I just care about games and exclusives so I do not see any benefit from it if the catalogue is so stale. Some can say that I am narrow-minded, but I think that I just cope with too many negative things and this is just the nail in the coffin. It makes me sick of gaming in general.

"I".

Thats the problem. It's somewhat selfish. Nothing changes for current owners. Games past present and future will still work for "YOU". But there are other people who want the best for their gaming. And it's all positive for those who do.

Lol people aren't just going to start building PC's if an upgraded ps4 comes out 3 years later...you guys, after spending so much time on forums are still out of touch with the majority of console audiences? Don't we all have friends that don't post on GAF? I mean, it's just my opinion like anyone else's but some of this stuff I'm reading doesn't seem like what the more mainstream audience would do. Just some things I notice:

1) Gamers are tied to ecosystems, they take pride in Trophy list and Gamer score and stick to brands because of it. No way to know how big an influence it is, but it's significant IMO
2) Other industries upgrade, so while it will be new for consoles, it's not as foreign as it would have been 10 years ago, the average gamer would likely ignore it versus feeling any negativity about Its existence
3) Controller, brand, exclusives, peers, price, all have a hand in what hardware gamers choose to play. I think many here are dismissing how uninformed many gamers choose to be in regards to inner workings of the industry. This is not a case of ignorance but willful ignorance. A PS4K replacing the current model at $400 or $350 and the regular ps4 dropping in price might actually increase sales.
4) Sony likely still wants to hit 100 million sales with the base unit, and will support it for a long while. There are some gamers at the top and not just suits, I'm sure they are well aware of fragmenting the user base and angering the hardcore.

EloKa

People in this thread are acting like a PS4.5 would cost the same as a PS4 did or just a little more.

Currently you need a GPU for ~ 900 $ to run games in a 4k resolution on PC. My estimate for a PS4.5 is at least 1.000 $ / € and above. I doubt that many people would jump to this boosted model.

makes no sense? When would you ever buy anything - there is always something better coming
Because it's locked between generations. If this rumor is true, screw being an early adopter. You're better off waiting for PS5.5 ignoring all the software doughts and the inferior PS5.

ironcreed

Banned
I understand what you're saying. But exclusives are the system sellers for PlayStation and consoles in general. If they don't offer an incentive to buy the newer console, who will?

If every game is available on both you'll probably have a lot of people sticking with what they have for now and only the hardcore upgrading.

It's not going to be 30 million+ in the first 2 years without some exclusives, that's for sure.

And that is okay, because the PS4 is selling like fire. Only now they will have another version to sell as well.

show-me-the-money.gif

They are not going to isolate the PS4, as this is just another version of the PS4.

MrHoot

the difference is that the "something better" was like 5-6 years away which leaves you time to enjoy. Every 3 years and that becomes kinda gross. Especially considering the first 2 years of this generation was fucking nothing. It's only NOW becoming an interesting en and not just a glorified gen 7.5. Yet now they want to push for a new half gen with the potential to gimp the users who were actually trusting to wait to this point for something ?

That would be the biggest asshole move they could pull really. Again, all the disadvantages of PC with NONE OF THE PERKS. And yet people here i'm going "Yeah i'm fine with that ! I have money to blindly throw away anyway"

They are not going to isolate the PS4, as this is just another version of the PS4.

That's a very trusting train of thought towards the company who is basically reselling their old classics full price to people who potentially already bought them on ps3 and is making paid online with no noticeable benefit to it

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
People in this thread are acting like a PS4.5 would cost the same as a PS4 did or just a little more.

Currently you need a GPU for ~ 900 $ to run games in a 4k resolution on PC. My estimate for a PS4.5 is at least 1.000 $ / € and above. I doubt that many people would jump to this boosted model.
I'll bet you a perm account ban it doesnt cost $1000.

GAF is a niche of a niche in terms of console demographics.

And just because people here don't like the idea doesn't mean they won't buy it anyways.
You can't say GAF is a niche within a niche and then assume the rest of the market is a hive mind. For example, if you read reviews on Amazon whenever there's a generation change you'll notice here's a segment of the market that is angry because they have to buy a new system even though that's how console cycles usually go. Now go tell these people to go buy new systems every two to three years...

Why would you assume 4K native for an iterative box? Of course they're not launching a thousand Euro console.

Come on now folks, let's keep the scenarios at least a little bit plausible.

You can't say GAF is a niche within a niche and then assume the rest of the market is a hive mind. For example, if you read reviews on Amazon whenever there's a generation change you'll notice here's a segment of the market that is angry because they have to buy a new system even though that's how console cycles usually go. Now go tell these people to go buy new systems every two to three years...

Wow, think you misinterpreted what I was saying.

mxgt

Banned

Gotta keep it realistic, no way it'd launch for that price and there's no way it's going to run games at 4k anyway.

EloKa

Why would you assume 4K native for an iterative box? Of course they're not launching a thousand Euro console.

Come on now folks, let's keep the scenarios at least a little bit plausible.

From the rumours this is the plausible scenario:
a new version of the PS4 with increased graphical power and games running at 4K resolution

if 4K is really the goalpost for a new model then it'll cost ~ 1.000 € / $.
Hardware to run games at that resolution has a pricing point and you won't achieve such a power with hardware that will only cost around 400 $ / € to 600 $ / €

I'll bet you a perm account ban it doesnt cost $1000.
Yeah, a PS4.5 for $1000€ is as unlikely as a PS4.5 that runs games on a 4K resolution.

oni-link

if 4K is really the goalpost for a new model then it'll cost ~ 1.000 € / $.
Hardware to run games at that resolution has a pricing point and you won't achieve such a power with hardware that will only cost around 400 $ / € to 600 $ / €

This is why I think they might be talking about the next system and not an updated PS4, but with them wanting the next system to support 4K, they're referring to it as the PS4K

It surely wouldn't make any sense to release a 1000 dollar PS4 model when the standard model is doing so well, and when the standard model does work with PSVR anyway

Even if the new PS4 model is a lot better with VR games, will it be so much better that it's going to be worth an additional four figure investment?

If you have four figures to drop on VR you're probably going with one of the more expensive VR headsets/set ups anyway

Jacqli

"I".

Thats the problem. It's somewhat selfish. Nothing changes for current owners. Games past present and future will still work for "YOU". But there are other people who want the best for their gaming. And it's all positive for those who do.

Ok. And what? Of course it is my opinion based on my circunstances and my experience with prior generations of consoles. As well as the opinions in favor of it are equally selfish.
But do not get worried. You will get to enjoy multiple iterations because my selfish self is done with consoles.

And now that we are into that, you and I do not know how it will be handled and if it is going to be like you say or this will piss off early adopters because of exclusives in PS4.5. But I know something for certain: gaming industry is the shittiest when it comes to customer's attention. Or even developers for that matter.

U-R

It seems to be a constant that after Microsoft announces a suicide move, Sony is expected to carry it too. "Just wait for Sony to announce their always online DRM plan!"

To be fair, i don't expect them to deny nor confirm a thing, and keep things shady until House can have another: "Oh, and your previously purchased PS4 is still the top playstation, because Sony believes that when you invest in a console, your money matters!" moment, followed by a thunderous applause.

I'm not sure yet what I think of this idea, but I definitely know that I will not be "upgrading" to whatever revision they have planned. I paid a lot of money for my PS4 and it's going to have to be fine for the next 5-ish years.

I hope (probably, foolishly) that there aren't exclusives for the update. I'm thinking something along the lines of Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. I'd love to play it, but I can't justify spending over $200 just to grab a NN3DS.

We'll see. It'll be interesting to watch it all play out.

oni-link

"I".

Well that didn't quite work with the New 3DS, and since the New 3DS released we've seen games like Hyrule Warriors Legends running much worse on the OG hardware compared to on the newer tech

And obviously there are also New 3DS Exclusives

There is no hive mind, and GAF is not representative of the gaming audience, and neither is Amazon. That's his point, we are getting a small sample size of opinion here on GAF, there is no way of knowing if the majority audience would even be bothered by an upgraded ps4. It's all speculation from both sides. I do find it ridiculous the side complaining about how they are being "screwed" though. That's just screams selfishness to me I'm sorry.

"This thing isn't going how expected it to go, I'm up in arms!"

Just don't feel that way. I'm not upgrading as my ps4 is just fine and I have a huge backlog. Certainly wouldn't mind another option though, or maybe a future second ps4 to be the newer model.

New tech, in any shape is just exciting to me. I would only worry about the rumors of it releasing this year, I think that's too soon with VR just hitting.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
IM MAD AS HELL I BOUGHT A PS4 I WANT THE HARDWARE TO STAGNATE IM GOING PC ONLY WHERE NEW HARDWARE IS RELEASED EVERY FUCKING DAY

I am on the fence about these interim 'upgrade' rumors... however, this is pretty much some of the posters who have been saying this narrative in Laymen's, lol.

Because it's locked between generations. If this rumor is true, screw being an early adopter. You're better off waiting for PS5.5 ignoring all the software doughts and the inferior PS5.

You could say exactly the same thing about a PS4 Slim. Why adopt early at $350 when you can wait for a $200 version of exactly the same machine and skip the software droughts?

A PS4.5 would just be an OPTION for the growing number of gamers who care about high resolutions and framerates. If you're happy with 1080p30fps, then stick to your standard PS4. If you want to play Destiny 2 at 60fps or 1440p, then buy the special edition PS4.5 Destiny 2 bundle next year.

The God

I don't know, but that would be useless anyway.

Well posters have been saying the goal with a PS4K would be to drive adoption of 4KTVs and content. So if an upscaler is useless, and it would be too expensive to make a system that runs everything in actual 4K... what's the point?

Ydelnae

I still think this is just going to be the "Slim" version of the PS4 that adds a 4K blu-ray player, fixes some performance issues (not to the point of suddenly playing every game at 1080p60fps, but actually generating less framerate drops and stuff like that) and gets a slight redesign.

Aceofspades

Banned

easy, you get to enjoy your console for 2/3 years before revision (if there was any)

i5 2500K with whatever Mobo/Ram was the flavour of the month for that time period is what I'm currently running now. I purchased a GTX 970 when they were on sale (under $400) and I dare say that my current PC will be more powerful or comparable to whatever the next iteration from Sony/MS is..... consider the fact that I purchased it in 2011...... PCs are not the expensive hulking and unwieldy things they may have been before. You can buy off the shelf pre-made machines with windows already installed. Steam games are always cheaper than the offerings from MS/Sony and there is no online subscription to play with friends.

I wish someone would do a serious breakdown of costs and highlight the fact that PCs outside of the initial purchase are actually not expensive at all. My PC runs whatever games are coming out, at 60fps in 1080p resolution with graphic settings and effects turned up. Yes the console is more simple because it is plug and play but with day 1 updates and console versions running sub 30fps (Fallout 4) I don't know if I will buy into the console space again....

Our mod stump has one in his posting history somewhere. Bottom line was that for the more hardcore like us who purchase lots of software, despite a higher initial cost the savings going to PC gaming are substantial. He was like... Quadrupling or more his dollar spending power in the PC space.

What if these games rendering in 4K aren't full out aaa titles?

When you bought that iPhone 6, did you get pissed off for being an early adopter when the 6s came out?

The concept of generations is basically over and everyone wants to switch to the model described above.

MrHoot

easy, you get to enjoy your console for 2/3 years before revision (if there was any)

Have you seen the state of console gens tho (especially the beginning) ? Out of the 2/3 years of the beginning of the generation, you basically really get to enjoy one before they'd basicaly come at you and say "okay now we made this NEW model which makes yours look like garbage in comparison and we're keeping all the cool stuff on this one instead. But thanks for buying the first one"

papo

PSVR will get a successor with PS5. I would bet on it.

It should get a successor a lot sooner than PS5, maybe one even two in the PS4's lifecycle.

VR tech is still growing at a fat rate. If Sony just stalls this it is going to hurt VR.

If you pay full price for Xbox live/PS+, you would spend an additional 200 dollars for 4 years. That money could easily be used to buy a GPU.

Lets also say it cost 400 every 3-4 years for a new version of the console. That money could easily be put towards a CPU/motherboard/ram combo. You might end up paying a bit more, but it has a longer expectancy then consoles. Some people are still on their i5 2500k. That came out in 2011 and is still viable for pc gaming.

Not to mention that games are also cheaper on PC in the long run.

This is a slippery slope for 'consoles' IMO. They are becoming more and more like weak, restricted PC's by the day.

You could say exactly the same thing about a PS4 Slim. Why adopt early at $350 when you can wait for a $200 version of exactly the same machine and skip the software droughts?

A PS4.5 would just be an OPTION for the growing number of gamers who care about high resolutions and framerates. If you're happy with 1080p30fps, then stick to your standard PS4. If you want to play Destiny 2 at 60fps or 1440p, then buy the special edition PS4.5 Destiny 2 bundle next year.
Slims have a history of performing the same in game. The specs are locked. Slims also take away some features to be cheaper. Without early adopters you might not have gotten a slim version. Look at Nintendo, they abandoned the WiiU. Xbox was abandoned, gamecube was as well. Those unsuccessful consoles did not have slim versions.

Slims have a history of performing the same in game. The specs are locked. Slims also take away some features to be cheaper. Without early adopters you might not have gotten a slim version. Look at Nintendo, they abandoned the WiiU. Xbox was abandoned, gamecube was as well. Those unsuccessful consoles did not have slim versions.

Well the original Xbox wasn't necessarily a failure in so much as the PS2 was just a phenomenal success. The Xbox had a varied software library and successful online component. It ushered in quite a few features we take for granted today. MS abandoned it partially because it was probably always going to be a stepping stone (they wanted a head start on Sony for the next gen) and I think more because of their bad contract with Nvidia. That made it easy for them to move on. A revision probably wasn't ever going to happen because of that. Still it lasted in the market 4 years. The Dreamcast was more of a flop than that and I think we all know how people feel about that console. I'd say the Gamecube was more a failure than the Xbox because of Nintendo's history. Even then I wouldn't say it was an outright failure. The PS2 was just the perfect storm of timing and technology.

liquidtmd

Banned
When you bought that iPhone 6, did you get pissed off for being an early adopter when the 6s came out?

The concept of generations is basically over and everyone wants to switch to the model described above.

I'm honestly on the fence in terms of what Sony maybe proposing here but for the love of God, in this discussion the analogy in relation to Smartphones is ridiculous and non comparable.

From how the Mobile market is financed, the notion and ease of phone contracts, the mobility of a phone that you can use all day and take anywhere compared to a dedicated games console...it's just silly to draw parallels to them

Top Bottom