• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku sources: Watch_Dogs 2 out later this year, set in San Francisco

Who should be the protagonist of Watch Dogs 2?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zukkoyaki

The hive mind against Ubisoft really has gotten out of hand.

Absolutely and I'm glad there are others that feel this way.

The first Watch Dogs had obvious flaws but it had moments of brilliants such as the awesome stealth segments, fun hacking puzzles, and what I thought was easily the best gunplay in any open-world game. I'm excited to see the sequel.

Soma

never did play the first one

san francisco setting makes me interested since i just moved to the city

will be cautiously looking out for this

WoolyNinja

My biggest letdown from the first watchdogs was how little the city actually felt/looked like Chicago. I was excited to travel down familiar roads but it wasn't even remotely like Chicago

ViciousDS

Banned
give it to me.....I loved the first watch dogs. If they can improve from watch dogs to watch dogs 2 like they did with AC to AC2 then it should be an amazing game instead of a decent one.

KJRS_1993

The first one was easily a four out of five star game, I really enjoyed it.
I hope they stick with the "Invasion" style multiplayer and cut down on the amount of markers on the map (less of them, make them better.)

I'm all in.

The hideouts were the best part of the game and the gunplay was awesome.

I think people are being a bit harsh, it wasn't a great game but it certainly wasn't as awful as is being made out. I feel like the series has a lot of potential.

Mechanically Watch Dogs was actually really good in a lot of ways. Its shooting system actually was even superior to GTAV's.

The issues it has though was boring / unlikable protag, story was weak as hell, and it got repetitive. But it was fun to actually play. If they can fix the issues and tweak the core mechanics game could be damn good.

whitehawk

Banned
I liked the gameplay of the first one, but the writing, characters and acting were terrible. Playing it after GTAV really made it look bad too. They need an overhaul, even a new protagonist for the sequel imo.

Is any sandbox protagonist likable given the amoral mayhem such games actively encourage and reward players for? You don't beat GTA/AC/Saint's Row by de-escalating the situation, that's for sure.

I guess Batman? If you like Batman?

Dsyndrome

The salt will flow when Aiden comes back, hopefully set to a Godsmack soundtrack with emo eyeshadow.

Still need to finish the first game, didn't loathe it like most folks.

Listonosh

If this is true, and it does end up releasing this year, the one thing I can say is a positive for Ubisoft, is that they didn't pull their usual "Let's announce this game as early as we can, and then make everyone wait 4 years until they can play it" approach. It happened with Watch Dogs, The Division, and will most likely happen with Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Perhaps now that the public wasn't exposed to early concept gameplay and aesthetics of the game, it won't be able to complain about downgrades, etc, etc.

Also, potential silver lining, like someone here already mentioned, the jump from AC1 to AC2 was rather incredible. If Watch Dogs can make that kind of jump as well, I think I'd be all for it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Good gameplay. Awful story and characters. They need to spice up the world a bit as well. It was very bland.

I am expecting a massive graphical upgrade too. But they have to upgrade the characters first. Especially the protagonist.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Awesome. I never understood the hate the first game got and continues to get. Loved nearly everything about it and ready for the next one. San Francisco setting sounds sublime to me!

Dawg

Watch Dogs had some neat mechanics and the shooting was actually better than in GTA.

I've heard Assassin's Creed Syndicate had decent characters and story (?) so maybe they should learn from that and improve the biggest flaw of the first game, which was the writing and main character(s).

Mechanically Watch Dogs was actually really good in a lot of ways. Its shooting system actually was even superior to GTAV's.

The issues it has though was boring / unlikable protag, story was weak as hell, and it got repetitive. But it was fun to actually play. If they can fix the issues and tweak the core mechanics game could be damn good.

The driving needs major fixing too.

Felt like Bambi on ice in whatever car you drove.

Hoje0308

Banned
Kill Aiden in the first five minutes and then let the first mission be to find a bottle of liquor to pour on his grave (with an option to piss on it easter egg). I actually enjoyed the weapon feedback and ragdoll physics (Spent a lot of time running over pedestrians, don't judge me), so get rid of the standard Ubisoft tower shit and give the game its own identity and I'll likely buy a copy.

BiggNife

Open world game where you play as John McAffee making drug deals and avoiding police is infinitely more interesting to me than what Watch Dogs 2 will actually end up being

Aiden Pierce is probably the worst protagonist in any game I've ever played. I hated him through out the entire game, he was a dope and his vigilante tough-guy voice was laughable.

Bring Clara back
from the dead.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
He was supposed to be a flawed character. As you say, his problems were really self-inflicted.

Pity they didn't notice it doesn't work as well in video games as it can work in films.

That said, I actually liked Watch Dogs, if I ignored the story bits. Good mix of stealth and action, some freedom and emergent gameplay, and better side activities than in other Ubisoft games.

Don't really agree with this at all. Kane and Lynch are two of my favourite game characters/protagonists in recent years and they are complete fuck ups, probably even more so than Aiden Pierce.

I find flawed characters a lot more interesting than generic 'heroes' to be honest.

MrV4ltor

I can see Ubi alternating between Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed in the future. Would certainly give them more time to make the games more refined and less recycled.

tuxfool

Banned
Why isn't anybody voting for Mark Pincus. Watchdogs has established that it is a game about assholes doing shitty things for shitty reasons.

I suppose Larry Ellison applies too.

Akai__

Watch Dogs was pretty okay for a new IP. Aside from the dumb story and Aiden, I actually liked it. If they really want, Watch Dogs 2 could be a pretty huge improvement just like going from AC to AC2. Hoping for the best, but no hyping this time.

BouncyFrag

I need a bigger spider tank mini game. Trolling baddies with hacking was a lot of fun and I had a good time with the game overall. The driving needs a bit of work. Unfortunately, WD2 threads will be a drive-by shitposters paradise.

vypek

If Ubisoft were smart they would get Rami Malek to be the new protagonist.

tW70kjg.gif

I'd buy it.

Top Bottom