• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's Schreier: Eidos Montreal is making Tomb Raider and 2 different Marvel games

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why is everyone suddenly developing Marvel games? I mean good for them, but I'm not buying that stuff, I want my Deus Ex.

Deus Ex and Tomb Raider didn't sell especially well, and that's doubly true for Deus Ex.

Similarly Insomniac was on a bunch of games that had mixed bag results, or only employed small teams.

Telltale always licenses IPs.

Marvel vs. Capcom is a long running series.

But more generally, Marvel is now approaching publishers and trying to get games made.

icespide

Banned
So let me get this straight.

Eidos Montreal (deus ex fame): Is now on Avengers + Tomb Raider + Unknown project?

Crystal Dynamics (tomb raider fame): Is Avengers + Another tomb raider???

Square Enix Montreal (mobile game fame): Is making more mobile games?

Is that right?
Marvel but not necessarily avengers

Why is everyone suddenly developing Marvel games? I mean good for them, but I'm not buying that stuff, I want my Deus Ex.

Exactly.

Marvel and disney are taking video games very seriously, its a good way to make money and raise your brand awareness.

Games, TV, movies, books, marvel/disney are everywhere.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Eidos Montreal (deus ex fame): Is now on Avengers + Tomb Raider + Unknown project?

Is that right?
Yes.

We don't know if Square Enix Montreal is making Marvel titles, mind, but it's probably a safe bet.

Edit:

It's not impossible they've canceled some games though, mind.

Icolin

Banned
Marvel and disney are taking video games very seriously, its a good way to make money and raise your brand awareness.

Games, TV, movies, books, marvel/disney are everywhere.

Yep. Marvel has said that they want to dominate games the way they've dominated movies, TV (Netflix), and comics.

viHuGi

Banned

Is that right?

Probably yeah.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I'm so tired of Marvel, they are everywhere and I haven't liked the MCU stuff since before Avengers 1.

And now they are killing off one of my favourite Franchises :(

Best of luck to them I guess. Hopefully these games don't suck, although I am sure they'll sell better just because of the license.

Courage

god fuckin dammit

Mankind Divided had its issues, but they were inching closer to what makes Deus Ex so great. One more game and they would have nailed it. Plus they had a crazy setup for the plot. This sucks.

Drayco21

Yes.

We don't know if Square Enix Montreal is making Marvel titles, mind, but it's probably a safe bet.

I could almost see them not doing any Marvel games just because there's such a saturation of Marvel in the mobile market already. Future Fight, Contest of Champions, Avengers Academy, Mighty Marvel Heroes, Puzzle Quest, Marvel Tsum-Tsums, Spider-Man Unlimited; it's pretty stacked.

Lifeline

Has any information leaked about how long these games have been in development? Did they just finalize the contract and start?

Yes.

Edit:

It's not impossible they've canceled some games though, mind.

Square Enix Montreal is making a bunch of stuff, or so their job hiring page says. I applied last night.

Kind of interested in these marvel games? More interested in how it puts perspective on what the two teams are doing otherwise. I guess Eidos Montreal will iterate on the current tomb raider engine one more time while CD have more time to come up with something more ambitious/more of an overhaul to the series as the next evolution. So long Deus Ex? :( I thought CD were working on a new IP alongside Deus Ex though. Wonder if that's still in the far off pipeline or the marvel project has totally booted it.

Dalibor68

Banned
I'm so tired of Marvel, they are everywhere and I haven't liked the MCU stuff since before Avengers 1.

This. I don't even remember the last time I checked a cinema movie plan without some superhero crap all the damn time.

Cause they have a heavy quality initiative on console games now, it's why they yanked all the licenses back a few years ago

You're seeing these announcements come out now because they've been cooking for a while

Crawl

So Deus Ex and Kain are both in the grave with Thief. What other IP is in the grave probably permanently that eidos-se has?

Simo

Wait we're getting 2 Tomb Raider games? Jesus fucking christ why?! Rise was so dreadful and a chore, I didn't expect SE to double down on the franchise. lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Square Enix Montreal is making a bunch of stuff, or so their job hiring page says. I applied last night.

I think they said they had three games in development at one point.

I'm suspicious that one of them is a Final Fantasy game, but that's just a hunch based on some of the people they hired.

This is the worst gaming related news I've heard in a long time. Guess that means Deus Ex is dead.

Not only that but wasting two talented developers on Marvel crap is very disappointing /IMO

Deus Ex but with Winter Soldier or Black Widow. Think about it.

dex3108

Well Eidos has 300+ people and Crystal Dynamic also has near 200 people so they can handle multiple projects including Deus Ex.

lumi7890

Deus Ex is way better than Tomb Raider, but Mankind Divided kinda bombed, so I get where Square is coming from.
Tomb raider "bombed" too to be fair, so alittl hypocritical that thier killing Deus ex but keeping tomb raider going. Also, two tomb raider games? Why?

Lime

Wait we're getting 2 Tomb Raider games? Jesus fucking christ why?! Rise was so dreadful and a chore, I didn't expect SE to double down on the franchise. lol

SE & Eidos seem to be running Reboot Lara (TR2013 + ROTTR) and Classic Lara (Guardian of Light + Temple of Osiris), perhaps it's related to that.

Falchion

Wow that's awesome, there's going to be a lot of good stuff coming out of these studios in the next few years.

Tovarisc

This. I don't even remember the last time I checked a cinema movie plan without some superhero crap all the damn time.

Somehow I doubt that Marvel walked into Squeenix HQ and said "We need you guys to kill off some IP's, including Deus Ex, and work on our shit like NOW!". Decision, if such was made, to scrap Deus Ex projects and put IP back into the box is on Squeenix, not on Marvel.

Yeah MCU and DCCU are huge in cinema and even TV + NetFlix today, causing over saturation of superhero and superhero inspired material. Still you can't put blame about Squeenix handling their IP's on Marvel.

Tomb raider "bombed" too to be fair, so alittl hypocritical that thier killing Deus ex but keeping tomb raider going. Also, two tomb raider games? Why?

Not really? Tomb Raider is a far bigger IP these days than Deus Ex. Rise of the Tomb Raider may have bombed but they got that Microsoft cash in exchange. The two situations aren't comparable let alone even in the vicinity of hypocritical.

Regginator

If that's true, go fuck yourself Square. It wasn't enough for you to cut DXMD in fucking half, now it's also seemingly dead because people didn't want to buy cut-in-half games.

Fuck. You.

This is the worst gaming related news I've heard in a long time. Guess that means Deus Ex is dead.

Not only that but wasting two talented developers on Marvel crap is very disappointing /IMO
Better than the studios getting closed.

Tomb Raider has far more potential than Deus Ex. Deus Ex performed really bad.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Somehow I doubt that Marvel walked into Squeenix HQ and said "We need you guys to kill off some IP's, including Deus Ex, and work on our shit like NOW!". Decision, if such was made, to scrap Deus Ex projects and put IP back into the box is on Squeenix, not on Marvel.

Yeah MCU and DCCU are huge in cinema and even TV + NetFlix today, causing over saturation of superhero and superhero inspired material. Still you can't put blame about Squeenix handling their IP's on Marvel.

Not saying Marvel went in and said "scrap this other stuff". But saying no to making marvel games must be a really bad decision economically and Square don't have infinite dev resources so if someone walks in and offers rights to avengers and other marvel stuff of course they will shut down under performing IPs that have a dev team that is needed to develop AAA marvel games.

I can still be sad about it when it's one of my favourite franchises in the genre in question and I've been "burnt out" with super hero marvel stuff for like half a decade :(

Neoxon

Since Telltale is doing Guardians, what's SE's 2nd Marvel game? Inhumans? SHIELD? Defenders? Champions?

Top Bottom