• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's Schreier: Eidos Montreal is making Tomb Raider and 2 different Marvel games

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Mankind Divided took 5 years to exist, didnt exactly light the world on fire sales wise, and people expected them to jump on a sequel imediatly?

I mean, people know how the industry works. Outside of what, Rocksteady who are seemingly tied to Batman until they wither and die, studios dont really go from sequel to sequel (unless youre indie).

Was there outcry when Arkane wasnt working on Dishonored 3 for example?

Dalibor68

Banned
Mankind Divided took 5 years to exist, didnt exactly light the world on fire sales wise, and people expected them to jump on a sequel imediatly?

I mean, people know how the industry works. Outside of what, Rocksteady who are seemingly tied to Batman until they wither and die, studios dont really go from sequel to sequel (unless youre indie).

I don't think we know what Arkane Lyon is working on now.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I wanted to see the resolution that the events in DE:MD promised. Sucks that they won't be going back to it in the forseeable future.

More Marvel games aren't bad, but all I need in that vein is Marvel vs Capcom.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Yeah, it's maddening. At this point, aside from hoping that Prey is good and sells well, I can only hope that a) Cyberpunk 2077 will scratch that itch and maybe fill the Deus Ex hole a bit and b) that Obsidian is really working on a full-on VtMB sequel, although some users have expressed that equal production values are very unlikely

Obsidian are probably not working on VtMB as most of their staff is working on either PoE2 (Announced today) or their tank game.

Also even though Paradox has grown A LOT in the last few years they really don't have the bank to publish a full AAA obsidian VtMB game.

Fury451

Banned
Oh, Square is making tomb raider thier own "Assassin's creed" we're gonna be getting one ever other year. Or am I reassign this wrong?

I think you're reading too much into it. All that means is it it's a staple franchise so you will probably continue to get mainline story titles every 2-4 years, and then smaller spinoff titles like GO sequels or Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light type downloadable games peppered in between.

You won't get a major AAA title release every other year.

This is a shame, DE:MD is a real gem. Really disappointed in square. At least they weren't closed I guess. Hopefully now that their making a Marvel game people will actually play it :(

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Mankind Divided took 5 years to exist, didnt exactly light the world on fire sales wise, and people expected them to jump on a sequel imediatly

I think it's more that they basically only delivered half a story and ended their game basically right as the story was starting to spin up. People want to find out what happens. At least I do, I assume that most people who played the game feel similarly.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Arkane has two studios, which is why Prey and Dishonored 2 came out so close to each other.

Harlequin

So Deus Ex and Kain are both in the grave with Thief. What other IP is in the grave probably permanently that eidos-se has?

Honestly, I'd add Tomb Raider to the list. They killed that franchise when they took it from Core and as far as I'm concerned, they haven't resurrected it since.

So wait, we're getting two Tomb Raider games? Shadow of the Tomb Raider by CD and whatever Tomb Raider Eidos is working on?

No, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the one Eidos Montreal are working on (and probably the one that'll get released first). I'm expecting that to be a Batman: Arkham Origins type deal where they just copy the previous games' formula and I'd also think that they're probably working off a story treatment and/or script by Crystal to keep things coherent. Crystal's Tomb Raider project is probably going to be trying to update the formula and freshen things up a bit to try and avoid franchise fatigue.

That's sad. DEHR and DEMD were both really good games. Don't really care about Marvel but I realize anything to do with it will sell 1,000x times better.

Albo

According to jim sterling's sources, a separete team at eidos montreal have been working on the sequel to mankind divided since at least mid 2015. It'd be a shame if they scrap or put on hold something that was likely far in development that many people were anticpating the sequel to, particularly with marvel games and TR sounding like they will keep the studio occupied for many years.

According to jim sterling's sources, a separete team at eidos montreal have been working on the sequel to mankind divided since at least mid 2015. It'd be a shame if they scrap or put on hold something that was likely far in development that many people were anticpating the sequel to, particularly with marvel games and TR sounding like they will keep the studio occupied for many years.
Hopefully these Marvel games do well enough that Eidos Montreal can vastly expand in size.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Stop it, I want to believe that Rocksteady is making either a Hopeman or Justice League game. I mean they did tease it in Arkham Knight...

JerkShep

Leaving the Jensen story in such an unfinished state is so fucking terrible.
And SE asked for the commercial failure with shitty practices like cutting sidequests from the game to sell as pre-order bonuses, the shitty multiplayer mode that none asked for, alledgedly cutting the game in half, all the "expanded universe" stuff that was completely irrelevant. The series deserves a proper conclusion. I'm bitter.

Some of the worst gaming news I've heard in ages. SE has now wasted two of my favorite franchises in DE and Thief. I was expecting MD to be a much better game than HR, and I think it very much had the potential, but I guess they must've had serious development issues if they first cut in half and now they won't even bother to finish the Jensen storyline.

Doomedfool

I just finished Mankind Divided last night. Anxious to play around in New Game+ after I spend some time with Resident Evil 7.

Big fan of Tomb Raider and Marvel, but this news still bums me out a bit.

Elios83

I really like the idea that Eidos Montreal is making a Tomb Raider game.
I feel that they can reboot the series into something that is closer to the spirit of the classics compared to the titles that Crystal Dynamics has made so far (ROTR was a disappointment for me, I liked the 2013 reboot much more).
I'm sad for Deus Ex and Thief though, safe to say we won't see them again until the PS5 gen at the earliest.

Top Bottom