• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's Schreier: Eidos Montreal is making Tomb Raider and 2 different Marvel games

I could talk about how this industry needs more than ever AAA games like Deus Ex or how frustrating this is considering the "rumors" of Mankind Divided being cut to facilitate the release of a sequel as fast as possible or even how bad the marketing was for the game.
But you know what hurts the most? The guys at Eidos Montreal deserve better. They faced the challenge of reviving one of the most influencial series in the industry and bring it to modern times and at end of the day they succeeded. Despite whatever some purists of the 1st game may argue, the folks at Eidos Montreal understand the core of what a Deus Ex game is and did their best to balance that with what's safe for the market.
And now this. People that showed a lot of passion for the Deus Ex series with their talent wasted on a generic TPS game and some super-hero whatever games.

This is terrible in so many ways :(

Dalibor68

Banned
Charlequinn put it best in the other thread about MD bombing:

Human Revolution
DX-HR-Bleak-Detroit.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Mankind Divided

I must be blind then. Also completely ignoring the different thematics(HR timeline still having augmentations on the rise, the golden pissfilter symbolizing the advancements vs everything gone to shit in MD and augs being heavily discriminated against to an extreme extent and the clear, brighter graphics symbolizing things getting "back to reality" but also getting closer to the world of Deus Ex 1)

x-Lundz-x

If we are getting two Tomb Raider games I would think one is obviously Shadow of the Tomb Raider and the other must be another Temple of Osiris type game.

CD probably wanted to move on to something new hence why Eidos is working on SotTR?

They are making more Tomb Raider games right now? I guess if MS was footing the bill for the last one, it didn't have to sell super well, but are these ganes doing particularly well?

As for the rest... That Marvel stuff is really going to start churning out, isn't it?

Lime

I could talk about how this industry needs more than ever AAA games like Deus Ex or how frustrating this is considering the "rumors" of Mankind Divided being cut to facilitate the release of a sequel as fast as possible or even how bad the marketing was for the game.
But you know what hurts the most? The guys at Eidos Montreal deserve better. They faced the challenge of reviving one of the most influencial series in the industry and bring it to modern times and at end of the day they succeeded. Despite whatever some purists of the 1st game may argue, the folks at Eidos Montreal understand the core of what a Deus Ex game is and did their best to balance that with what's safe for the market.
And now this. People that showed a lot of passion for the Deus Ex series with their talent wasted on a generic TPS game and some super-hero whatever games.

Eidos Montreal clearly showed that they have had production/management challenges with both HR and MD. Especially with the latter, where moving to a new engine caused a lot of problems, at least according to the interview with the narrative designer on Gamasutra.

It took them 5 years to release MD, which isn't a good sign of a healthy studio. Hopefully this is fixed now, though.

Icolin

Banned
Would be good if like with Nier, SE was the pub and Platinum were the dev on one of those Marvel games.

Yep. And Platinum need it, after Scalebound's cancellation.

The reason why Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal are working on the Marvel games is because ROTTR and Mankind Divided both kinda bombed, so, like Platinum, they need stability, and making a game based on huge properties like Marvel's provides that.

It begs the question of why United Front Games was closed down instead of making a Marvel game, though.

Crawl

So, fuck jensins story isnt going to get a proper ending is it? God damnit. Its going to be a half life situation.

Jensen's story ends by meeting the Avengers at the end of mankind divided and the avengers patting him on the shoulder saying "We'll take over from here."

Eidos Montreal makes terrible Deus Ex games, Crystal Dynamics makes terrible Tomb Raider games (since reboot).

Modern Tomb Raider has pretty good mechanics though, so I hope the lighter tone of the current MCU brings out the best in Crystal Dynamics.

Eidos Montreal though...never made a game I really liked.

Bummer about Deus Ex as I loved MD, but I'm also excited to get good marvel games. I'm torn

As for Tomb Raider I've enjoyed both the reboots but not enough to where I would be upset if they didn't make any more. I'll probably play the new ones still

Metalmarc

2018 would be the right time for a new Cyberpunk game (Deus Ex) esp since we are years away from Cyberpunk 2077 game

What with these films coming out this year, there should be a renewed interest in the Cyberpunk Genre

Ghost in the Shell live action
Blade Runner 2049

And T.V

Duncan Jones Mute (netflix)
Altered Carbon (Netflix)

Zasa

I'll be damned if there's no more Deus Ex. Such a bad way to go considering the shitty, & nonsensical release date of MD that marked it's demise day 1.

Lime

Human Revolution

Mankind Divided

I must be blind then. Also completely ignoring the different thematics(HR timeline still having augmentations on the rise, the golden pissfilter symbolizing the advancements vs everything gone to shit in MD and augs being heavily discriminated against to an extreme extent and the clear, brighter graphics symbolizing things getting "back to reality" but also getting closer to the world of Deus Ex 1)

Visually:

Thematically: Having Adam Jensen going on scruffy adventures once more.

The sequel simply never appeared to differentiate itself enough in its branding and marketing. You can go through this thread if you are still in doubt as to why people feel this way: www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1274344

I like Deus Ex as well, but considering that The Avengers movie came out 5 years ago and hasn't gotten a AAA video game treatment, I'm fine seeing it put aside for this.

People saying that Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics "deserve better" than The Avengers, which is the 2nd biggest pop culture franchise in the world after Star Wars right now, is ridiculous. This shows a huge amount of faith and trust in those developers from both Square Enix and Marvel/Disney.

This is the best video game and Marvel news that I could hope to read all year, and we should all feel blessed. The best film franchise in Hollywood right now pairs up with some of the best developers out there. I think a new Deus Ex being delayed a few more years is worth that, especially when looking back at the terrible Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Cap games that Sega put out those many years ago.

So any news on what this Avengers game will be about?

Also if SE is now working with Marvel AND Disney does that mean Marvel in KH is a lock?

takoyaki

Glad to hear TR3 is still happening, was worried that they would turn into a Marvel-only studio for a second.

Shame about Deus Ex though.

Jaraghan

That's a damn shame if no more Deus Ex is true. I adored HR, and while I thought MD was a bit of a step down I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I waa hoping for a final game to tie majorly into the first Deus Ex somehow. More backstory on Page as well. Oh well.

Mankind Divided was super cool when it wasn't up its own arse, but with it being so similar to Human Revolution and Arkane doing their thing I'm not sure I feel so sad about Deus Ex being shelved. Meanwhile, I've waited years for decent, high-production Marvel games outside of the fighting game space so I'm very excited to see what Eidos do with the Avengers universe.

I don't disagree, but with Dishonored 2 also selling less than the first if I'm correct, you better all buy Prey or gamers will kill the immersive sim revival.

Dalibor68

Banned
Visually:
Wow, you compared the fonts and game covers. 10/10 evidence. Totally refutes the completely different looks both games have ingame (as presented above, and as people who actually played both games will know).

Thematically: Having Adam Jensen going on scruffy adventures once more.
No point in arguing if you're going to simplify it into ridiculous levels.

The sequel simply never appeared to differentiate itself enough in its branding and marketing. You can go through this thread if you are still in doubt as to why people feel this way: www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1274344

The game not selling well is not an indicator of it's quality. Watch Dogs 2 and Dishonored 2 also more or less bombed. DE:MD also placed at #14 on Neogafs GOTY list (also in front of both these games). I'll agree that the marketing campaign overall sucked in that it wasn't present enough (felt like there was almost no marketing leading up to release) and the little that was there was blown on incredibly stupid things like the "Augment your pre-order" debacle.

Gator86

Not mad about more Deus Ex by them after the embarrassment that was Mankind Divided

Did this post somehow come from a dimension where MD was a bad game?

Both in terms of the generation and of the franchise: instead of recontextualizing the gameplay in ways that learned from the preceding entry and drew on the technological advancements in more recent hardware, and instead of evolving the visual style to be related yet distinct, they spat up something with the exact same visual style and gameplay that was presented as an incremental improvement rather than a thorough recontexutalization. The things I'd expect a well-heeled team to deliver in terms of city hub structure, mission planning, combat options, etc. after getting feedback from the first game didn't particularly seem to be present in the public presentation of the game, so it just comes off as a two-year sequel getting released five years later.

This quote is a lot of words to say very little. Yes, they could have change more of the core gameplay, but the new mods add a fair amount of options and flexibility. Is the difference between HR and MD less than Far Cry 3 and 4 which have almost identical skill trees? Is it worse than COD which has almost the same perks in every game? What games allow the freedom of engagement that MD does? You can approach objectives in a number of ways for almost any mission.

The only thing I really agree with there is the game should have been out in 2 to 3 years, not 5, and that wound up being a drag on its performance.

Lime

Wow, you compared the fonts and game covers. 10/10 evidence. Totally refutes the completely different looks both games have ingame.

Now you're not even trying anymore. No point in arguing if you're going to simplify it into ridiculous levels.

The game not selling well is not an indicator of it's quality. Watch Dogs 2 and Dishonored 2 also more or less bombed. DE:MD also placed at #14 on Neogafs GOTY list (also in front of both these games). I'll agree that the marketing campaign overall sucked in that it wasn't present enough (felt like there was almost no marketing leading up to release) and the little that was there was blown on incredibly stupid things like the "Augment your pre-order" debacle.

I am just explaining the branding and marketing level of the game as to why it aesthetically and thematically appeared incredibly similar and why I and others think this might have lead to it bombing sales-wise. I didn't talk about its quality as much as how it appears to the general consumer. No need to be antagonistic?

good riddance deus ex. let it sleep for a while and come back with a good game.
This is kind of how I feel. Human Revolution was great primarily based on low expectations. Mankind Divided didn't do enough to evolve the formula, and now the series needs another break. Let it come back when the right idea has been found.

Dalibor68

Banned
I am just explaining the branding and marketing level of the game as to why it aesthetically and thematically appeared incredibly similar and why I and others think this might have lead to it bombing sales-wise. I didn't talk about its quality as much as how it appears to the general consumer. No need to be antagonistic?

And you counter me showing with ingame screenshots that it's aesthetically very different by posting game covers and counter me explaining the different thematics by saying "its all the same, guy goes on scruffy adventure". That doesn't seem like an honest attempt of having a discussion. And people were very hyped during it's reveal and after previews etc. It was the last two months of (barely existant) marketing that completely shit the bed.

There's no way they'd just abandon the Jensen saga though, right?

They need to offer some sort of closure after all the things hinted at in MD. After that they can do whatever they want character-wise, but I don't want another 'HL2 EP2'-esque situation (even if of course smaller in impact).

AJ_Wings

I'm glad Eidos Montreal is still gonna be around and found more work for them.

But no Deus Ex for a while in favor of more fuckin' Avengers. Yeah, I just...... :(

Ananaz

I kinda wonder how much this Marvel deal happening ended up affecting Square Enix's poor handling of the MD's release, which no doubt was a contributing factor to the disappointing sales. :/

Oh well, I'm very excited about these Marvel games, but it still hurts to see Deus Ex suffering for it.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I don't disagree, but with Dishonored 2 also selling less than the first if I'm correct, you better all buy Prey or gamers will kill the immersive sim revival.

Pretty much.

I went from "Maybe buy on release" to "Need to buy on release because immersive sims should be supported" when it comes to PREY.

Still sad about dishonored 2 under-performing as the game was absolutely incredible.
I do believe we can expect more dishonoured though but if that one also ends up failing then it's probably dead.

Crawl

Lol

Yours is more of a shitpost than the one you quoted.

I mean what is wrong with having good marvel instead of yet another rehash of Deus Ex game?

because there is so many deus ex games compared to marvel games / media / content throughout pop culture..

Dalibor68

Banned
Pretty much.

I went from "Maybe buy on release" to "Need to buy on release because immersive sims should be supported" when it comes to PREY.

Still sad about dishonored 2 under-performing as the game was absolutely incredible.
I do believe we can expect more dishonoured though but if that one also ends up failing then it's probably dead.

Yeah, it's maddening. At this point, aside from hoping that Prey is good and sells well, I can only hope that a) Cyberpunk 2077 will scratch that itch and maybe fill the Deus Ex hole a bit and b) that Obsidian is really working on a full-on VtMB sequel, although some users have expressed that equal production values are very unlikely

Top Bottom