• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's Schreier: Eidos Montreal is making Tomb Raider and 2 different Marvel games

Dalibor68

Banned
Somehow I doubt that Marvel walked into Squeenix HQ and said "We need you guys to kill off some IP's, including Deus Ex, and work on our shit like NOW!". Decision, if such was made, to scrap Deus Ex projects and put IP back into the box is on Squeenix, not on Marvel.

Yeah MCU and DCCU are huge in cinema and even TV + NetFlix today, causing over saturation of superhero and superhero inspired material. Still you can't put blame about Squeenix handling their IP's on Marvel.
I didnt claim that Marvel put a gun to SE's head, I'm pissed off two of my favourite franchises are shelved/taking a back seat for more superhero oversaturation

Rymuth

I imagine this has a lot to do with how this generation went for Square-Enix west (Deus Ex, Thief, RottR) - at the very least, this will keep the lights on for these studios.

Poor Platinum would've killed for such a deal, given how Activision cut ties.

I didnt claim that Marvel put a gun to SE's head, I'm pissed off two of my favourite franchises are shelved/taking a back seat for more superhero oversaturation
Two? Deus Ex and Tomb Raider? There's still two TR games coming out. Eidos Montreal was always taking the next TR13 game and they still are. Eidos Montreal is huge and can easily work multiple projects, hell that's the basis of that studio. Multiple concurrent projects.

FelipeMGM

It makes a lot of sense really. These are great studios, but their recent games suffered a bit on the market. Throw in huge IP's like the ones Marvel own and its a good recipe for success

Swarley

Very excited to get some Marvel games of quality. Hopefully these can be on par quality-wise with the Arkham series.

As for Tomb Raider... Are Crystal and Eidos both making games in the new reboot universe? Or is one of them in the Lara Croft dungeon crawler universe? Kind of confused by that.

And hopefully if these next couple games go well for these studios, we'll get new entries in Thief or Deus Ex.

Tomb Raider isn't getting shelved. Assuming that (and Deus Ex) is the favorite franchise you are talking about.

Besides, you have to look at the alternative - those studios likely shutting down.

it does? Because as far as plot and setting goes, it's pretty generic unlike deus ex, at least in my opinion.
I'm speaking financially.

AHA-Lambda

Deus Ex :(
no no no ;_;

Z4nsa6b.gif

I imagine this has a lot to do with how this generation went for Square-Enix west (Deus Ex, Thief, RottR) - at the very least, this will keep the lights on for these studios.

Poor Platinum would've killed for such a deal, given how Activision cut ties.

I could easily see SE recommending platinum for one of these projects, and maybe suggest that SE could publish that game too wink wink.

FelipeMGM

It is kinda funny that Eidos Montreal got a new logo that looks a lot more like the Deus Ex branding, but they prob wont work on Deus Ex games for a while...

C3Gyi3gXEAEmA6H.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Why is everyone saying Deus Ex is dead? Where is that confirmed?

They just came out with one, they will likely make the Marvel game, then do another. We don't need one every 2 years.

Simo

it does? Because as far as plot and setting goes, it's pretty generic unlike deus ex, at least in my opinion.

Well going forward Tomb Raider just has bigger brand appeal that will only increase in the next couple of years thanks to the big budget movie coming that's based on the reboot universe.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Can someone who is good with photoshop make a #SaveJensen avatar.

also it seems like you actually #CANKILLPROGRESS :(

Lime

I wouldn't say Deus Ex is "dead", just on the...far backburner.

So a reboot in 4-5 years if

1) there's still will on the executive and creative level
2) Square Enix is in good health 4-5 years from now
3) Marvel games haven't completely overtaken the bandwidth of SE's studios

I never asked for this :/

At least the Deus ex games are highly replayable.

I guess I should be grateful that Hitman did't get the same fate.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since Telltale is doing Guardians, what's SE's 2nd Marvel game? Inhumans? SHIELD? Defenders? Champions?

Square Enix will go for whatever they think will actually be sellable, so think more along the lines of things that would be an easy pitch to a general audience.

AHA-Lambda

They're making a Marvel game and a... different Tomb Raider game I believe.

It's possible something changed, but they hired a director for Tomb Raider there not too long ago.

So we'll be getting multiple Tomb Raider games and no Deus Ex?

No justice >_>

It's a shame if this means no more Deus Ex. Mankind Divided was good, but it just didn't live up to Human Revolution. HR was a special experience for me personally, and I couldn't help but feel a little let down with the seemingly smaller scope of MD. I feel like that kind of word of mouth doomed it.

Dysun

Hopefully they can revisit Jensen and put a cap on their story line after making a splash with a Marvel game

Wishful thinking, I know

AndyVirus

I would guess Shadow of the Tomb Raider in March 2018, and the first Avengers game Fall 2018 (meaning a game + Blu-Ray of Infinity War holiday bundle for PS4 or XB1).

I await a wolverine game where he has tomb raider crying reaction every time he kills someone and then becomes a killing machine during gameplay.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Would be good if like with Nier, SE was the pub and Platinum were the dev on one of those Marvel games.

nampad

Wasn't interested in the Deus Ex games and I think Crystal Dynamics did a mediocre job on Tomb Raider so I am very fine with this.

Lime

I mean, that's the universe it's in and themes the games deal with. Kinda hard to see what they would have done differently.

If you're talking about DE:HR and DE:MD - did you actually play the games? There is a MASSIVE difference in aesthetics and thematics.

Charlequinn put it best in the other thread about MD bombing:

Both in terms of the generation and of the franchise: instead of recontextualizing the gameplay in ways that learned from the preceding entry and drew on the technological advancements in more recent hardware, and instead of evolving the visual style to be related yet distinct, they spat up something with the exact same visual style and gameplay that was presented as an incremental improvement rather than a thorough recontexutalization. The things I'd expect a well-heeled team to deliver in terms of city hub structure, mission planning, combat options, etc. after getting feedback from the first game didn't particularly seem to be present in the public presentation of the game, so it just comes off as a two-year sequel getting released five years later.

Newboi

Is it not logical to believe that the perceived "failure" of Mankind Divided was not due to the quality of the game being poor, nor the market not wanting it, but it was due to poor business decisions?

Square's initial kickoff campaign for MD was atrocious; the game was effectively cut in half in order to, in their belief, maximize profit, and the game was completely under-marketed compared to its production cost and size (very reminiscent of TitanFall 2).

Top Bottom