• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kristi Leskinen " No gamer in the world deserves an X-games Gold Medal"

Archpath1

will wait until real life adopts Battle City Tournament for different game genres.
or a World Gaming League

gratz to them , medal isnt the best looking

fernoca

video games getting X Games medals seems ridiculous to me
Yep. I mean in away I agree with her stance.

Change the name of the medal or something, but as part of the Xtreme Games along people that end with bruises and even at the hospital.

As she said in her other tweets, same way there are Oscars, Grammys, Stanley Cups; call it the Golden Controller or something...sponsored by them.

But in the end is all about media and money.

Because they saw a return on the investment. Just as ESPN broadcasting people playing poker.

This doesn't really address what I was really asking unless you're just trying to be snarky. I'm sure they'd see possible return on investment if they threw it in the middle of several other random broadcasts as well, doesn't really mesh with x-games brand.

I have no real opinion on the whole matter of who got an award or whatever, it's all completely meaningless to me. But I just want to point out how you've completely oversimplified the idea of picking up a game and playing. Me and you can, because we're used to the way they play. Take a non gamer and hand them a controller in an FPS and watch as they smash into all the walls over and over. To actually reach a point of being able to do basically anything takes a long ass time.

Practicing golf on a level where you're looking to compete will take lots of time, but so will anything where you're looking to actually compete with others. If we simplify it yes a person can pick a controller for the first time them running into a wall is taking part, as in the same sense a swing and a miss would be in golf.

Eh the only thing I admit I have oversimplified is the part about needing a five minute tutorial for a newbie player to pick up and start playing a game for the first time ever. Realistically, they are going to need more than that. But it's not going to take hours or " a long ass time" to "basically do anything" in the game. If I am oversimplifying, then you are exaggerating. I don't think it's unrealistic to say that a total game noob can pick up and play Halo and begin killing enemies on occasion within their first hour of playing. Compare it to golf and it's really not the same at all when it comes to rudimentary levels of success.
About being able to use controllers today because I have been playing them for a long time, I don't really agree with that either. I've always considered them to be pretty easy to pick up and play within a few minutes, whether it was using a joystick for games like Pacman or atari, twin joysticks with Robottron, or a completely new type of 3d game and controller like Mario 64. Todays controllers aren't that drastically different that suddenly it's going to take a newb a significantly longer time to get used to them compared to the time it took for me to get used to my first experiences

ScribbleD

I associate X-Games with extreme sports. I don't associate videogames with extreme sports.

I associate X-Games with alternative sports that were once marginalized and other-ed by a society obsessed with mainstream sports at the detriment of any kind of competition that wasn't baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, etc. The X-Games have typically been focused on extreme sports, yes, but its roots are and always will be a counter-cultural response to people scoffing at BMX and skateboarding as if they weren't worthy of being treated seriously in a competitive environment.

Trup1aya

Eh the only thing I admit I have oversimplified is the part about needing a five minute tutorial for a newbie player to pick up and start playing a game for the first time ever. Realistically, they are going to need more than that. But it's not going to take hours or " a long ass time" to "basically do anything" in the game. If I am oversimplifying, then you are exaggerating. I don't think it's unrealistic to say that a total game noob can pick up and play Halo and begin killing enemies on occasion within their first hour of playing. Compare it to golf and it's really not the same at all when it comes to rudimentary levels of success.
About being able to use controllers today because I have been playing them for a long time, I don't really agree with that either. I've always considered them to be pretty easy to pick up and play within a few minutes, whether it was using a joystick for games like Pacman or atari, twin joysticks with Robottron, or a completely new type of 3d game and controller like Mario 64. Todays controllers aren't that drastically different that suddenly it's going to take a newb a significantly longer time to get used to them compared to the time it took for me to get used to my first experiences

I think that's incredibly unrealistic actually.

I've even tried that experiment. Most non-gamers have trouble even understanding the concept of dual analog controls. Let alone juggling movement and aim, while processing HUD information and remembering what functions are binded to triggers and face buttons.

I've tried this experiment with Halo:CE on MCC. My subject couldn't even follow me to captain Keyes in the opening level. The idea of her being able to kill a single AI enemy on the easiest difficulty, after an hour of practice seems far fetched. The idea of her being able to kill an online multiplayer opponent; unfathomable.

What do you consider a comparable rudimentary level of success in golf? I'm most certain she could learn to hit a golf ball off of a tee, sooner than she could learn to aim at an attacking target in Halo.

Lmao video gamers are funny creatures. Think mashing buttons deserve to be at X Games. Let's have Chess players, Uno players, Gwent players too then. It's a different category. Stop trying to put hobby into other events that have nothing to do with them.

X Games should just make E Games. Problem solved.

You know gamers have nothing to do with these decisions right? X-Games and ESPN being desperate to capture the young gamer demographic is too blame for this crossover. It's silly you think the gamers have absolutely any say in this.

I for one really wish that the crossover attempts would stop so people can stop getting on their soapbox to bitch about e-sports and how cringey it is. E-Sports doesn't need to be accepted by sports fans or organizations it's doing fantastic on it's own and will continue to.

RomanceDawn

This topic got me thinking, I want to see a massive fighting tournament!

Street Fighter, Smash Bros and Tekken divisions.

Kung Fu, MMA, and Tai Kwon Do divisions.

After the winners of each is crowned they should pit the 3 fighting game winners against the 3 martial arts winners.

Seriously though that woman is right. At the very least don't give the Halo players the same kind of garbage medal the X athletes get, give them a separate garbage X Games e-sports medal instead. That's what happened with Wushu in the 2008 Olympics. Wushu and China got robbed.

So I'm watching oldschool x games. Street luge, sky divimg, hawks 900, pastranas double backflip, McCoy and mirra vert doubles, danny blowing off his shoes on the mega ramp....etc. I'm actually getting even more pissed now lol. Those peeps did all the work and paved the way with their boddies, and some scrubs just walk on in. And again, its not about the medals, it never has been. Its about progression, taking the slams in the backyard so you can further define the identity of what x game were intended to represent.

And its not the gamers at fault, its ESPNs whore tactics.

Well giving a medal to people who are displaying no athleticism for something that takes athleticism just undermines what the athletes actually put themselves through to get that medal. I can definitely see why she would be upset at it.
Holy shit, now I get what those "exact same arguement" people are saying. Hilarious. Copy and paste arguement from the past man.

I think that's incredibly unrealistic actually.

I've even tried that experiment. Most non-gamers have trouble even understanding the concept of dual analog controls. Let alone juggling movement and aim, while processing HUD information and remembering what functions are binded to triggers and face buttons.

I've tried this experiment with Halo:CE on MCC. My subject couldn't even follow me to captain Keyes in the opening level. The idea of her being able to kill a single AI enemy on the easiest difficulty, after an hour of practice seems far fetched. The idea of her being able to kill an online multiplayer opponent; unfathomable.

What do you consider a comparable rudimentary level of success in golf? I'm most certain she could learn to hit a golf ball off of a tee, sooner than she could learn to aim at an attacking target in Halo.

Ok, so one "subject" in your "experiment" and now all of a sudden that shows compelling evidence that it's incredibly unrealistic to be able to occasionally kill some enemies an hour into playing Halo? . Seriously? And is there a study that shows that most non-gamers struggle with the concept of dual analog controls so much that it's highly unrealistic that they will be able to kill a few enemies within the first hours.?So little kids that play their first video game can't get the hang of dual controls within an hour of playing, and little kids haven't been able to start killing some enemies within an hour? Everybody is a non-gamer at one point. Yet newbies pick up and play video games constantly. Beginning people have been quickly picking up controls and learning the basicss of playing videogames in less than an hour for the last 30+ years, so where are you getting that my prediction is highly unrealistic? There is no heavy time investment needed to attempt to play at a basic level.
I also find your clam that your subject would have a harder time just aiming at a target to be downright bizarre. What possible reason could you have for thinking that it's harder to aim something ( which requires your hand/thumb and coordination) than it is to hit a golf ball with an unwieldy ( relative to a controller)club, which requires almost your whole body and coordination?
edit- i don't actually want to know your answer, because I know it's just going to be more nonsense like your "experiment".I can't do this topic anymore without going insane.

I'm conflicted on this.

On one hand, she is right imo. While some of us have absolutely no interest in the X-Games (including myself) what these guys are doing put their entire lives at risk but at the end of the day, is a body demanding sport. I think they deserve some credit for years and years and years of practice, breaking body parts, crazy surgeries and some even losing the ability to compete any more - doing what they've dedicated their lives to. It's something extremely rewarding and something that I agree is so much deserving of a legit "Metal" in that sense.

On the other hand, gaming is just like a sport as well. Maybe no as demanding but it's full time for athletes to stop downgrading something they aren't good at either and give credit where credit is due. The same way they've made the choice to turn their bodies into flip high flying machines, it's the same way someone took that same time to strategize and perfect the game they are playing to be number one. Both are equally stressful competitions and while this one may not be physically demanding as her sport, it doesn't make it any less hard or less valuable than what she's doing.

So in conclusion, I don't think they should get "Metals" for their achievements, but i believe they deserve a separate segment in the X-Games that rewards them with something unique and doesn't take away from those who has made the X-Games what it is today.

Just to reiterate you realise X-games organisers have been inviting video game tournaments to attend right?

It's not like COD or Halo companies approached them demanding an event at the X-games. It's shared demographics and exposure, they probably should have created differing medals for the eSports stuff.

Also Snipedown's tweet is the stuff of legends.

Consumer

Professional athletes are big dumb grunts eh.

Many people here are generalizing & belittling both gamers and proponents of video games being categorized as sports, so yeah, I did some generalizing myself to prove the point that it's easy to dismiss either side of the argument. Both sides of this debate can be irrationally generalized in a condescending manner.

Many people here are generalizing & belittling both gamers and proponents of video games being categorized as sports, so yeah, I did some generalizing myself to prove the point that it's easy to dismiss either side of the argument. Both sides of this debate can be irrationally generalized in a condescending manner.
The fact that sitting and moving only your fingers and thumbs isn't a sport is not a generalization.

Otherwise, knitting and speed-knitting would also be sports.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Doing sport requires effort and strength. Requires lot of other things than the ability to beat the competition.

They sure don't have anything to do in this sort of competition.

Imagine the biggest video game competition but in the backgroung there is an half pipe with Tony hawk pro skater 5 written on it, and some unknown pros skating on it. Winning a video game medal.

Trup1aya

Ok, so one "subject" in your "experiment" and now all of a sudden that shows compelling evidence that it's incredibly unrealistic to be able to occasionally kill some enemies an hour into playing Halo? . Seriously? And is there a study that shows that most non-gamers struggle with the concept of dual analog controls so much that it's highly unrealistic that they will be able to kill a few enemies within the first hours.?So little kids that play their first video game can't get the hang of dual controls within an hour of playing, and little kids haven't been able to start killing some enemies within an hour? Everybody is a non-gamer at one point. Yet newbies pick up and play video games constantly. Beginning people have been quickly picking up controls and learning the basicss of playing videogames in less than an hour for the last 30+ years, so where are you getting that my prediction is highly unrealistic? There is no heavy time investment needed to attempt to play at a basic level.
I also find your clam that your subject would have a harder time just aiming at a target to be downright bizarre. What possible reason could you have for thinking that it's harder to aim something ( which requires your hand/thumb and coordination) than it is to hit a golf ball with an unwieldy ( relative to a controller)club, which requires almost your whole body and coordination?
edit- i don't actually want to know your answer, because I know it's just going to be more nonsense like your "experiment".I can't do this topic anymore without going insane.

How is my experiment nonsense?

We are talking about taking a human being, who is naturally well versed at manipulating things in a physical world and asking them to manipulate things in a virtual world, without any significant tactile feedback?

For anyone who has every swung an object and hit something IRL (which is most people) I'd imagine that they'll be knocking putt-putt balls of a tee well before they'd achieve taking out enemy Spartans.

I haven't posted any scientist studies, and neither have you, but I think it's common knowledge that someone who has no experience manipulating objects in a virtual 3D environment will probably have a much easier time manipulating objects in a physical one.

The difficulty aiming at a target stems from unfamiliarity with the with joystick sensitivities and how inputs translate into onscreen actions coupled with the task of dealing damage, while avoiding death.

As far as little kids are concerned, I think it's very rare that an FPS is their first experience with gaming. I think it's safe to say that many first time gamers start manipulating avatars in a 2D space, before graduating to 3D. After that,many are exposed to 3rd person 3D before FPS. That sort of progression makes picking up the ability to competently aim much less daunting.

We're talking about people who have never played any sort of game before jumping straight into FPS. That person will surely knock a ball off of a tee sooner than they can wrap their head around FPS controls.

i bet everyone posting "Videogames shouldn't be at X-games" are the ones who haven't watched X-games in years.

and that's why they are there.

ScribbleD

The fact that sitting and moving only your fingers and thumbs isn't a sport is not a generalization.

Otherwise, knitting and speed-knitting would also be sports.

Pictured: A thing that people compete in at the X-Games without hissy fits being thrown:

lead1xgames16superrally.jpg

Pictured: A thing that people compete in at the X-Games without hissy fits being thrown:

lead1xgames16superrally.jpg

You've raced before have you? That's a grueling endurance test that requires skill, reflexes, physical strength and stamina that happens to be in a car. It's not the same as playing Dirt with a racing wheel...

So yes, that's also nothing like sitting in a chair and just moving your fingers and thumbs...

...and before you say it, video games are not comparable to motocross either.

Saven

Banned
Don't know what I'm more surprised about, video games being at the X-Games, or the fact that X-Games are still a thing. I thought I time traveled back to 2002 when I saw the thread title.

Top Bottom