• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kristi Leskinen " No gamer in the world deserves an X-games Gold Medal"

Zomba13

Who is kristi whoever?

Who is Kristi Leskinen?

Should we know who Kristi Leskinen is?

"Professional Skier, Winner of ABC's The Superstars, and lover of all things active, especially action sports."

Like, just literally click the one link in the OP.

Oh wait, I forgot, you don't actually want to know, you just want to be dismissive because you don't know who she is so her opinion doesn't matter. Literally who and all that.

RawNuts

I'll never accept esports as being an activity that belongs in the same bracket as something that involves full-body dexterity or athleticism. I'm not saying I'll never accept it as a cool, interesting, worthy pursuit, just that I'll never accept that it belongs in the same definition as traditional sports.
What is your opinion on rallycross being a part of the X-games?

bumpkin

I agree with her. Video games are completely out of place in the X-games.
Funny that the gamers are calling her the salty one on her Twitter.
Same. The shit people do in the X-Games is ballsy, incredible shit I would never even dare to try. It's entirely possible to die if you fuck up some insane snowboard trick. Playing video games is in no way a comparable feat.

Warxard

Banned
I loved watching the tourney at X-Games and the publicity it must have given to competitive Halo and eSports in general is awesome.

However video games don't belong at X-Games. It'd be like streaming a chess match during EVO...

Virtua Fighter was at EVO

Dryk

My point exactly. I wouldn't call something like Chess a sport, but games like LoL, CoD, Halo, RL, & Dota can easily be considered sports.
Yeah though in this situation sticking Halo on a roster with snowboarding and skiing is dumb.

I prefer esports to x-games stuff but esports still has no business being there imo.

I'll never accept esports as being an activity that belongs in the same bracket as something that involves full-body dexterity or athleticism. I'm not saying I'll never accept it as a cool, interesting, worthy pursuit, just that I'll never accept that it belongs in the same definition as traditional sports.
They absolutely belong under the banner of "sport", but yes there are definitely tiers under that banner that eSports don't reach.

Well too bad Leskinen EG deserves the hell out of those golden license plates, though I do love that Snip3down replied to her with this LOL

CaFVo5MUsAAHyYA.jpg

The look of a guy who is smug because Microsoft payed to have ESPN give him a medal?

Onivulk

Banned
Same. The shit people do in the X-Games is ballsy, incredible shit I would never even dare to try. It's entirely possible to die if you fuck up some insane snowboard trick. Playing video games is in no way a comparable feat.

If I were to play videogames at an extreme level I could probably die. It's pretty extreme.

"Professional Skier, Winner of ABC's The Superstars, and lover of all things active, especially action sports."

Like, just literally click the one link in the OP.

Oh wait, I forgot, you don't actually want to know, you just want to be dismissive because you don't know who she is so her opinion doesn't matter. Literally who and all that.
I was just curious, but keep up the good fight for whatever your agenda is!

I agree. Theres nothing athletic or physically taxing in the sameway some of the x games sports are about gaming. People who get mad at this dont understand that maybe its just not a good idea to mix games and sports.

Griss

What is your opinion on rallycross being a part of the X-games?

Shouldn't be there, imo.

Yeah though in this situation sticking Halo on a roster with snowboarding and skiing is dumb.

They absolutely belong under the banner of "sport", but yes there are definitely tiers under that banner that eSports don't reach.

I can agree in general, the problem is that 'sport' to most people (and for the longest time, to me) means one specific tier of that banner - athletic sports. Not board games, not esports, not autosports.

So I feel like if all of those things are 'sports', then we need a new term for the physical sports. And once we have that the other tiers will then want to be called that new term to attach themselves to the prestige of that kind of athletic activity and so on and so on.

Crashdown

Neo Member
I was going to say she kind of has a point, but then I saw what the medals look like.

No one deserves to have that medal inflicted upon them, even actual athletes.

Dryk

I agree. Theres nothing athletic or physically taxing in the sameway some of the x games sports are about gaming. People who get mad at this dont understand that maybe its just not a good idea to mix games and sports.
Or is it?
chess-Boxing-6.jpg

So I feel like if all of those things are 'sports', then we need a new term for the physical sports. And once we have that the other tiers will then want to be called that new term to attach themselves to the prestige of that kind of athletic activity and so on and so on.
True. The gaming community (and sports community) isn't going to be able to hide behind semantic shit-fights forever. Everyone needs to just get over themselves and accept that sport/not-sport isn't the be all and end all of credibility. I mean realistically it is right now but there's no reason it has to be that way.

entremet

Unfortunately Kristi is barking up the wrong tree.

Blame the corporate sponsorships.

The X-Games is a business. They decided to have an eSports event because it was lucrative for them.

Don't blame the Halo 5 team for showing up and winning. It's kinda silly. Of course they're gonna show and compete in a big venue.

E-sports emphasize mental exertion rather than physical; doesn't make them any less worthy of being sports. They're just as competitive.

I can't believe we're in 2016 and people still believe the stereotype that the prerequisite for being considered a sport is for a bunch of big, dumb grunts to be running around a field trying to score a ball into an enemy's zone.

yeah but the physical and athletic part is what makes a sport a sport. The mental exertion is why it's a great competition though.

MisterR

E-sports emphasize mental exertion rather than physical; doesn't make them any less worthy of being sports. They're just as competitive.

I can't believe we're in 2016 and people still believe the stereotype that the prerequisite for being considered a sport is for a bunch of big, dumb grunts to be running around a field trying to score a ball into an enemy's zone.

Playing video games is not a sport.

Timeaisis

I love how people divide "real" sports with "esports" like they both aren't arbitrary forms of competition. They could get one for Chess for all I care. Competition is competition. Sure, one may be more physical or more difficult, but they are equally arbitrary, therefore, I don't care.

LewieP

What if a gamer wins a medal at x games for skateboarding? Someone who plays games as a hobby should still be allowed to be a professional skateboarder.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Most definitions of sport require physical dexterity or skill. Under those definitions shooters still count though because real-time execution matters.

So does operating a forklift or decorating a cake. Everything can be considered a sport.

Onivulk

Banned
I love this so much. Everytime this happens I just soak in the sorrows of people getting upset over whats a real athlete or sport. It's one of my favorite things.

Briarios

You sound just like the people who criticized skateboarding back at it's boom as a competitive sport

Bullshit. There is no comparison between gaming and skateboarding when it comes to a physical endeavor. I'm all for eSports, no issues there -- but don't make ludicrous analogies. What's next for the X-games? Mathletes?

Nanashrew

Banned
I think this is one of the reasons why some professional players and commentators reject the word e-sport and would rather it be called competitive gaming. The reason why is because e-sport sounds so desperate to be included in something, and yeah, those who use it do want that. You won't be included in everything.

Then you have the X-games and how they started because they couldn't be included with traditional sports so they started their own thing separate from traditional sports.

Aww, the X-Game folk have grown up to be curmudgeonly.

You're at the end of the day talking about probably the most dangerous types of sports. Basically every single sport in the X-Games could leave you either dead or paralyzed if you mess up even slightly. It's not particularly surprising that they aren't going to be happy about the idea of people getting the same award as they do for sitting down and moving analog sticks while pressing buttons.

MikeyB

She is right. Chess boxing aside, mixing athletic activities with non-athletic activities makes no sense to me.

I have enough trouble thinking of motorized sports outside of motorcycles and ATVs as sports.

You sound just like the people who criticized skateboarding back at it's boom as a competitive sport

First off, I was a fairly good skateboarder as a teenager, so no.

But I'm quite interested in your comparison. How are you trying to say people criticizing putting videogames in the category of competitive sports is even comparable to the situation with high-level skateboarding? Do you understand the athleticism required to skate/snowboard/surf at the pro level?

Gator86

This conversation is always going to come down to nothing more than semantics. You can make the argument for literally any activity on the planet as a sport as long as someone is willing to compete at it. That doesn't change the fact that when 99% of people say sports, they're referring to a relatively small subset of activities.

Vostro

She does have a point though. X-Games is meant to for action sports. I don't think video games should belong in an x-games event.

Tamanon

Banned
She's right. They can have their own games, but just latching onto the X-games is silly. Nobody thinks that Halo should be in the Olympics.

It would look equally silly if they put chess in the X-games.

E sports is never going to be taken seriously if people keep trying to do the "WE ARE A REAL SPORT" argument. It comes across as insecure and needy.

You dont see pro poker or chess people trying to defend their competition like that.

Its its own thing. Its not a athletic completion and shouldn't be put side by side with athletic completions.

Warxard

Banned
First off, I was a fairly good skateboarder as a teenager, so no.

But I'm quite interested in your comparison. How are you trying to say people criticizing putting videogames in the category of competitive sports is even comparable to the situation with high-level skateboarding? Do you understand the athleticism required to skate/snowboard/surf at the pro level?

I've been surfing since I was a child. I'm well aware of the athleticism involved but it didn't stop Skate/Surf/Snowboarding to be aggressively criticized in it's infancy from traditionalists for asinine reasons/people who don't understand the sport OR because it doesn't fit their usual ideas of what a 'sport' should be.

Top Bottom