• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kristi Leskinen " No gamer in the world deserves an X-games Gold Medal"

Dryk

A sport is an athletic activity. There's nothing athletic about those things. Adding a rule set can create a competition, but it's still not a sport.
A lot of definitions of "sport" (which I subscribe to) make the athleticism/dexterity criteria an "or" instead of an "and". I see no reason to exclude pure dexterity competitions like golf, darts and billards.

Miletius

I guess it depends on your definition of sports. I think E-sports can be just as valid as regular sports, and in that vein they deserve to be awarded medals. But as far as if Halo 5 qualifies as an extreme sport, I'd probably say not really. So, maybe they don't deserve an X-Games medal but they'd be eligible for a medal somewhere.

Also, why Halo 5? Does it have a huge competitive scene?

So you clicked the link, learnt who she was then still asked "who?" even though you knew the answer? So it wasn't a genuine "I don't know who this person is or what she does, could someone enlighten me?" but a "lol who is this dumb skier?"
The link only had her name and the tweet, I asked out of pure curiosity as previously stated. Stop attempting to put words in my mouth.

Zomba13

I guess it depends on your definition of sports. I think E-sports can be just as valid as regular sports, and in that vein they deserve to be awarded medals. But as far as if Halo 5 qualifies as an extreme sport, I'd probably say not really. So, maybe they don't deserve an X-Games medal but they'd be eligible for a medal somewhere.

Also, why Halo 5? Does it have a huge competitive scene?

A big eSports push by Microsoft to get people interested in the game.

Grover

Banned
As time goes on you will come to understand that you'll be one of the few people in the world to consider sitting on your ass and twiddling your thumbs a sport.

thats all esports are? hell my niece can do that, they should give her a gold medal

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
We should just give everyone the gold medal.

What does it hurt?

It'll boil down to how long people are actually pros. Look at professional athletes. There's rarely any data on them after sports because they usually go on to different lifestyles. A lot of the greats stay around and comment about the sport or they get endorsements. Video game professionals are still sorta working in and around the industry, but who knows who has quit period? There is a chance you'll do well and a chance you'll never get good.

In video games you have mostly a handful of people who are religiously good about staying in the scene. You're just a regular consumer if you aren't. It's kinda tricky if you ask me. Video Game tournaments around here have gone from being more popular to being nonexistent unless you know someone or you do it yourself. I know about a guy up here who hosted a huge Guilty Gear tournament at our college and they had tournaments up at the Family Fun Center, but I never really went to them besides two and the place was torn down.

Nebraska Halo shut down and the people who play are friends with each other, so there's nothing really huge for people besides the Internet or maybe a LAN center in town. There's probably been multiple tournaments held here that I just don't simply care about. I am just a gamer and most importantly I'm a customer.

Not everyone is gonna win. I enjoy winning by playing the arcade mode or something. It isn't a big deal if I hit the multiplayer option.

In gaming, it's like the higher social class enjoys it more. It's more catered to that person and even now I don't see how it's appealing besides the normal Twitch channel I preview for fighting game tournaments. The clique is there or its some guy in a Razor or something jersey streaming throughout the week.

The worst part about it is that it takes time away from playing games. I'm not really big into multiplayer unless of course I'm feeling like it. The only medal I want is not feeling like crap because I'm not a professional gamer. I finish a game and move on.

I've been depressed after losing a tournament. It wasn't fun. I've been to Halo tournaments and it sucks after your turn ends. I just want to leave the place and go home, relax, and then play a game. The only people that enjoy it are really into it or they're the ones winning. I only really understand the enjoyment of the game. Not the worship of people that are doing well, then you'll never care to hear their name ever again.

It's like if someone who was well known in the industry went to a convention. Chances are they'll have a better time than the guy who has a better feeling at home playing the game and enjoying his stuff without the status. There's no real status besides an observer. It's hard hard enough making people enjoy the real game past that certain demographic.

I enjoy trial and error. The concept of winning sucks because it teaches people to only care about winning. To me, that's a slow burnout.

By this definition, if we made a Chernobyl Smash Bros. Melee tourney with joypads modified to solidly zap the player instead of shaking, that would make it extreme. Agree? Disagree?

Extreme? Sure. Why not.

But it would be an extreme game, not an extreme sport.

Zomba13

Sure

Will you, her and everyone else who "cares" so much against this be around when LoL, CS or whatever joins the Olympics?

Why should games join the olympics? Why can't games have their own event that features games and gamers of all types competing? Why do games have to be "taken seriously" and put up there with sports?

I just think it's really stupid to want something like one game at a big sporting event. Ooooh at the 2028 olympics we'll have Halo 9. What a glorious achievement for eAthletes! Why not have a proper gaming event, like what the X-Games are to "extreme" sports. The e-Games or something. Why do games need to be along side shit like running a 100m really gast or jumping over a bar the best?

So the difference is Xtreme in the title...

I can only imagine the people upset over gamers winning medals at the Olympics, if they act this way over something like the X-Games.
I sincerely doubt that video games would ever make it into the Olympics in the first place. There are too many actual sports that aren't already there that would get in ahead of video games for them to even consider it.

RustyO

Wasn't the whole concept of the X-Games born out of sports that were/are considered non traditional that were rejected by mainline institutions?

Halo should not be at the X-Games. What's extreme about hitting buttons on a controller?

Because theres an X button for eXtreme!

Wasn't the whole concept of the X-Games born out of sports that were/are considered non traditional that were rejected by mainline institutions?

Because theres an X button for eXtreme!
I don't think so. Winter X-Games have had things like Skiiing and Snowbording, which I'm pretty sure have been in the Olympics for a very long time.

Maybe for some of the summer events like biking and skateboarding that was a factor.

It has no place being there but she's attacking the wrong group, blame the ones who organized it.

I remember there was a E Sport show that used to be hosted by Direct TV but that died out.
Not sure if it was too ambitious or not enough viewers then again this was years ago when the concept was still very fresh.

Is this how most Olympians feel about "athletes" winning gold medals in the 50m Rifle Prone?

Warren-Potent-wins-Gold-at-ISSF-World-Championships-with-ELEY-batch-selected-tenex.jpg

sikkinixx

Personally I'm waiting until checkers is on the X Games. The red spaces on the board can be code red mtn dew logos and the pieces can be Coors Light bottle caps.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't think so. Winter X-Games have had things like Skiiing and Snowbording, which I'm pretty sure have been in the Olympics for a very long time.

Maybe for some of the summer events like biking and skateboarding that was a factor.

Winter X Games weren't even around for the first couple years and were a spinoff to how popular the event was. The summer events are the thing that launched the entire endeavor.

Dennis

Banned
I will never forget my 2010 Screenshot Champion of the World gold medal.

These days I am not even competitive :(

Cheerilee

I agree with her. In the context of her tweet (which is a terrible medium for context, but it still had enough) she says "As athletes sometimes we risk it all to win X Games. No gamer in the world deserves an #xgames Gold Medal."

The wikipedia entry for "extreme sports" starts off with "Extreme sports (also called action sports and adventurous sports) is a popular term for certain activities perceived as having a high level of inherent danger."

Her sport involves significant risk of killing yourself just to participate. The risk of carpal tunnel from using a keyboard too long and the risk of blood clots in your legs from sitting too long, don't make videogaming much of a "death defying" sport, IMO.

But, old woman yelling at cloud.

Winter X Games weren't even around for the first couple years and were a spinoff to how popular the event was. The summer events are the thing that launched the entire endeavor.
I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

I guess it was to have an event for sports neglected by other competitions then.

I will never forget my 2010 Screenshot Champion of the World gold medal.

These days I am not even competitive :(

The roars of applause as the shot of the Human Revolution toilet was first entered in to the internet still echo throughout the world today.

Well, video games aren't exactly an extreme sport either. Extreme sport is a niche of traditional sports and you can often see death defying stunts.

this. i could see esports in the Olympics because of how diverse The Olympics have become. X-Games? I don't see anything extreme about Halo 5 competitive.

But again, these minor sporting events have to do whatever they have to do to stay funded so they can stay alive. Apparently they needed e-sports money or this wouldn't have happened, right?

This was quite clearly a business decision and to that end perhaps some of these X-Games athletes should be thanking e-sports and their benefactors for helping the X-Games pay for the medals they took home rather than complaining...

Her mentions are blowing up though, and there are a few calling her 'dumb bitch', as it gains traction, I'm sure the real insults will start. Remember how many death threats and shit Kimmel got after he insulted gamers/eSports?

I mean if she wants only extreme sports at X-Games, that's her opinion and prerogative. But the reason X-Games hosted this is to capture a new demographic, the 12-36 year old gamers. X-Games can continue without video games, and video games/eSports will continue without X-Games, but it seems like a great fit for both. If not, I think X-Games has more to lose. There's a greater audience for people to watch Halo, CoD, CS than those willing to watch snowmobile tricks etc.

I loved the hell out of the Halo X-Games tournament, and I agree with her, Pro Gamers are not Athletes. But that doesn't mean their determination, wanting to learn, grow and succeed is any different. Winning a Halo championship after spending ten years playing everyday, practicing nonstop means just as much as it does to the guy who was snowboarding as a kid and wins halfpipe.

X-Games are based on physical skills though, and the risk in any physical sport is much higher than one playing video games (unless you count diabetes and obesity).

Extreme? Sure. Why not.

But it would be an extreme game, not an extreme sport.

Any activity that uses physical exertion or skills competitively under a set of rules that is not based on aesthetics.
(1) Ability to press buttons and sticks quickly is a physical skill.
(2) The sort of games we're discussing here (fighting games, some MP shooters, maybe degenerated RTSes but maybe not) fulfill the definition above.
Since the definition of sport I brought is arguably the most arbitrary of the statements here, I'm going to assume you disagree with it, specifically with the part that says physical skills are enough. Correct?

Preemptively, if you think physical exertion is a necessity, where do we draw a line? I specifically think about curling. What do you think of it? It doesn't seem to involve much of physical exertion, but it seems to be considered a sport.

Portugeezer

this. i could see esports in the Olympics because of how diverse The Olympics have become. X-Games? I don't see anything extreme about Halo 5 competitive.

But again, these minor sporting events have to do whatever they have to do to stay funded so they can stay alive. Apparently they needed e-sports money or this wouldn't have happened, right?

This was quite clearly a business decision and to that end perhaps some of these X-Games athletes should be thanking e-sports and their benefactors for helping the X-Games pay for the medals they took home rather than complaining...

I say it fits due to the heavily sponsored dudebro feel of the X-games in general. And I like the X-games btw.

You're right it's not a sport or extreme sport though.

I am a huge fan of E-Sports but I don't think they should be in the same categories as physical sports. It doesn't need to be and it doesn't make sense for them to be. It just opens them up to ridicule by people who don't care to understand that form of competition. It also doesn't need real sports approval or certification to grow successful under it's own banner. I'd like them to stay separate to avoid more of the nonsense that's already been tossed around between sides.

That being said ESPN and XGame want that E-Sports money and they are the ones who set what should fit where.

It has no place being there but she's attacking the wrong group, blame the ones who organized it.

I remember there was a E Sport show that used to be hosted by Direct TV but that died out.
Not sure if it was too ambitious or not enough viewers then again this was years ago when the concept was still very fresh.

It was run terribly and chose horrible games to represent competitive gaming.

Haven't Xgames been losing popularity over recent years?
Perhaps this was an experiment, maybe they're trying to bring a new crowd into the mix?
It makes business sense.

Preemptively, if you think physical exertion is a necessity, where do we draw a line? I specifically think about curling. What do you think of it? It doesn't seem to involve much of physical exertion, but it seems to be considered a sport.

Don't shit on curling. I'd rather watch a curling tournament than eSports.

Arkam

Why should games join the olympics? Why can't games have their own event that features games and gamers of all types competing? Why do games have to be "taken seriously" and put up there with sports?

I just think it's really stupid to want something like one game at a big sporting event. Ooooh at the 2028 olympics we'll have Halo 9. What a glorious achievement for eAthletes! Why not have a proper gaming event, like what the X-Games are to "extreme" sports. The e-Games or something. Why do games need to be along side shit like running a 100m really gast or jumping over a bar the best?

I could tell you "why" but then three dozen overly sensitive/defensive people would come after me with pitch forks.

I love competitive games and competitions based around them, but I hate "exports" and the notion that they are the same thing as real sports.

You cannot be who you are meant to be a if you keep trying to stand in the shadows of others.

I could tell you "why" but then three dozen overly sensitive/defensive people would come after me with pitch forks.

I love competitive games and competitions based around them, but I hate "exports" and the notion that they are the same thing as real sports.

You cannot be who you are meant to be a if you keep trying to stand in the shadows of others.
But they're not sports. Pretty much by the definition of sport.

People shouldn't even be thinking of it as standing in the shadow, it's not even standing in the same place. Some people don't seem to understand that.

Top Bottom