• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LawBreakers' peak concurrent Steam playerbase dropped to 431 today [Up2: Down to 302]

watership

If it didn't have any substance it wouldn't have such a big competitive scene. Sure its not quite as technical as some FPS but it is more team based than a lot of FPS. In order to stand out in the multiplayer FPS crowd you NEED a good hook and Lawbreakers has absolutely no charm and its aesthetic is incredibly boring which is a major part of the reason its doing so poorly. Looks mean a lot when the market is so saturated. On the other hand PUBG is a fairly ugly game but its concept is very well pulled off and got a lot of people streaming it etc. It has its own hook just with its concept.

Saying Overwatch is not as technical is an understatement. If it wasn't for the 'charm', I think the game wouldn't have an audience at all.

It's really not hero driven or class based. Every character is good and can be used to win.

There's no way that Lawbreakers isn't one of these two.

Simply having different heroes or classes doesn't necessarily mean it's impossible to win with any given character in any given circumstance. It's an arena style hero/class based shooter. Whichever one you want to call it is fine, but to say it's neither is just silly.

E92 M3

I dont really understand the defense force for this game. Is it people trying to defend and justify their purchase or...?

lolwut

It's an excellent game.

There's no way that Lawbreakers isn't one of these two.

Simply having different heroes or classes doesn't necessarily mean it's impossible to win with any given character in any given circumstance. It's an arena style hero/class based shooter. Whichever one you want to call it is fine, but to say it's neither is just silly.

It's nothing like OW. It would be like comparing a BMW to a Lexus. Completely different - both luxury cars though.

Kayant

Yeah, hard to have a defense force when the player base is nonexistent.

Sorry, I'll see myself out.
nK34RUn.gif

What was the production budget for this game?
Probably not that high given lack of single player and decent amount of maps and characters. I would think things the dedicated servers would be the more concerning thing.

dugdug

Banned
It's nothing like OW. It would be like comparing a BMW to a Lexus. Completely different - both luxury cars though.

At this point there's no way to convince people that this game has barely anything in common with Overwatch. Crazy.

So everyone should just give up... as we apparently have the ultimate online shooter with Overwatch?

No-one said that, calm down dude.

I dont really understand the defense force for this game. Is it people trying to defend and justify their purchase or...?

Because it's an acclaimed game and some people don't like seeing others basically point & laugh at low player numbers in this topic? In my case I'm not defending the game, I'm just appalled how people are taking joy in its failure.

I'm not saying they play similarly. I'm saying that suggesting that Lawbreakers isn't a class/hero based shooter is just kind of wrong. That's exactly what it is. It doesn't play like Overwatch at all, but the basis of the gameplay revolves around picking different heroes/classes that play differently.

It's a hero/class based arena shooter. It playing differently than OW is irrelevant in this case.

Gold_Loot

I'm not saying they play similarly. I'm saying that suggesting that Lawbreakers isn't a class/hero based shooter is just kind of wrong. That's exactly what it is. It doesn't play like Overwatch at all, but the basis of the gameplay revolves around picking different heroes/classes that play differently.

It's a hero/class based arena shooter. It playing differently than OW is irrelevant in this case.
It kind of is, but classes and abilities only play a small part in LB. where OW plays more to characters and ultimates , LB plays more about the weapons.

Basically a class based shooter, but much less focus on classes.

LordofPwn

Lexus is like the Japanese Mercedes.
lol.
Lincoln and Lexus are comparable. BMW and Mercedes are comparable.
Lawbreakers can be compared to UT and Quake.

OW is comparable to TF.

The problem is there are only so many people that want to play shooters and Overwatch PUBG and CS:GO are owning the PC audience, CoD, BF, and D2 will clean up the rest of console players.

It also doesn't help that there's such a high skill floor in Lawbreakers.

It kind of is, but classes and abilities only play a small part in LB. where OW plays more to characters and ultimates , LB plays more about the weapons.

Basically a class based shooter, but much less focus on classes.

I'm well aware how it plays. I love playing the game, but I think saying it's not a class based shooter is just kind of naive, and I know the poster that said that plays the game a lot. I don't see how one that plays the game so much can't see how we are obviously picking a class in every single match that we play. It has to be a class based shooter. There's no way it isn't.

I think it depends on how you qualify a class. I would say it's a class based shooter with much less focus on the abilities. The weapons of a given class are just as important to a given class as the abilities that they have are when it comes to defining a class, in my opinion.

For instance, when I think Titan, I think of the Rocket Launcher first and foremost.

The curse of multiplayer-focused games is that you as a consumer are dependent on the purchase of other people. This can turn into a very positive spiral of word-of-mouth purchases, like PUBG (different genre, I know, but still multiplayer-focused) or a very negative one if the game doesn't take off, like this game and many others.

Nydius

LLawbreakers can be compared to UT and Quake.

No, really, it can't.

It wants to be compared to UT and Quake and put forth some of the arena twitch shooter feel. But then they totally fucked it up by tying weapons to classes. Which was going to inevitably draw comparisons to Overwatch and other hero or class shooters.

There is a hell of a lot more skill in a pure twitch arena shooter where everyone starts with the same basic weapons and have to learn maps, power weapon spawns, accessory spawns, special map elements, et cetera than there is to a game like Lawbreakers which wants to have all of the twitchiness of an arena shooter but ties the fundamental shooting gameplay to switchable classes.

Lawbreakers puts one foot in arena shooters and one foot in class shooters and delivers an inferior version of both. And that's one of its many problems.

The low grav/hyper-maneuverability gameplay hook isn't unique either. If anything, a more apt comparison for Lawbreakers would be Titanfall 2, Live Fire mode, only with respawns.

arena shooters means the game is about picking up and collecting shit in the arena (as opposed to spawning with it)

lawbreakers is not an arena shooter

Darg

Neo Member
Unreal Championship 2 (and 1 to an extent) is a more valid comparison than UT i feel out of any game in the unreal franchise.

Head.spawn

No, really, it can't.

It wants to be compared to UT and Quake and put forth some of the arena twitch shooter feel. But then they totally fucked it up by tying weapons to classes. Which was going to inevitably draw comparisons to Overwatch and other hero or class shooters.

There is a hell of a lot more skill in a pure twitch arena shooter where everyone starts with the same basic weapons and have to learn maps, power weapon spawns, accessory spawns, special map elements, et cetera than there is to a game like Lawbreakers which wants to have all of the twitchiness of an arena shooter but ties the fundamental shooting gameplay to switchable classes.

Lawbreakers puts one foot in arena shooters and one foot in class shooters and delivers an inferior version of both. And that's one of its many problems.

The low grav/hyper-maneuverability gameplay hook isn't unique either. If anything, a more apt comparison for Lawbreakers would be Titanfall 2, Live Fire mode, only with respawns.

Which "Hero" games came before Unreal Championship?

Unreal Championship 1 had characters that started with their signature weapon affinities, classes that all moved differently, jumped differently, different running speeds, different attributes like more health, life-steal, activatable power-ups (Ults) like regen, dmg boost, speed-boost etc etc..

Unreal Championship 2 refined all of that back then and added melee focus to some areas.

The "low grav" mode you're saying isn't unique was a series mainstay in Unreal games. Low-grav Insta-gib was the shit, lol.

If I were to compare Law Breakers to anything, it'd be UT/UC.

JDB

Banned
arena shooters means the game is about picking up and collecting shit in the arena (as opposed to spawning with it)

lawbreakers is not an arena shooter
So if you get rid of the items on the map in UT or Quake they stop being arena shooters. Interesting!

xrnzaaas

Is it really necessary to update the thread title on a daily basis? Yes it's super dead, no reason to rub it in someone's face.

MDSLKTR

Is there a reason for updating the thread title on a daily basis? Yes it's super dead, no reason to rub it in someone's face.
It's like the rotten tomatoes bvs thread all over again, a mod must have a hate boner for cliffy. Pretty sad.

DrBo42

Is it really necessary to update the thread title on a daily basis? Yes it's super dead, no reason to rub it in someone's face.

I'd have to agree but reasoning being it's not leading to new discussion. Just starting the cycle over. I do hope they can turn it around but I'm not sure how you do that without a relaunch as f2p but there's not a ton of mass appeal in this game.

ChrisV

I have this game and I like it a lot. Really wish this wasn't happening with it. Don't know why the devs won't do a F2P weekend for Labor Day or something. F2P and if you decide to buy it, you get 50% off. Seems like they may just be leaving it to die. Kinda sad.

Bluth54

Is there any new content planned for release soon that could case any kind of spike (however small) in the player base?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
lol.
Lincoln and Lexus are comparable. BMW and Mercedes are comparable.
Lawbreakers can be compared to UT and Quake.

OW is comparable to TF.

The problem is there are only so many people that want to play shooters and Overwatch PUBG and CS:GO are owning the PC audience, CoD, BF, and D2 will clean up the rest of console players.

It also doesn't help that there's such a high skill floor in Lawbreakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YllyBr_4Kxk&feature=youtu.be&t=20

ChrisV

But he said specifically that he doesn't want to fade into the darkness!

The game really is good when you have two good teams going back and forth. I just don't get the stance of spending however long to make a game, and then when it doesn't perform how you want it to, you just do nothing. I get it...it just came out and you don't want to take any drastic measures. Give the game away for free and make it up to the people who paid full price. (Loot boxes, early adopter skins, characters, something, anything). Or at least do a free weekend. Labor Day weekend would have been a perfect opportunity for this. I guess I'll just keep playing it for a few hours a week until no one is left playing. (at this rate, that will be within the next 2 weeks)

Joey Ravn

Banned
What happens when the player count hits 0? The next step of this ARG begins?

... what do you meant by "it's not a countdown"?

Meccs

Still has twice the amount of players than Battleborn! Which means 50 more players.

I think this is sad, especially for the Devs and because the game is fun. Cliff probably doesn't give a fuck because he has enough money already. Billion dollar franchise my ass.

Top Bottom